The disappearance of the NSFW forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
There isn't even a topic or an announcement about it? Dude :-(
Also, where'd the forum go?
Also, where'd the pictures go :-P
Also, how, where, and when are we supposed to post our NSFW stuff now? "properly tagged" in main is all well and good, but that'll get problematic - not so much for those posting NSFW content, but for those browsing from work :-P

It seems to be, yes.
And the NSFW forum was not just about pictures (or videos :eyeroll: ) you know. It's also where most of the gay/lesbian talk went, and some of the more interesting discussions about sexual matter. Heck, the "I got laid" thread was over there. Those were all less active there than they were here because a lot of people apparently don't venture over there, but still. I think pictures made up less than half the threads in there.

Also, what CK said.

T

Twitch

He's right, how are we supposed to keep the gays out of our good Christian threads if you take away their forum? SEPARATE BUT EQUAL!

P

Philosopher B.

Bubble181 said:
And the NSFW forum was not just about pictures (or videos :eyeroll: ) you know. It's also where most of the gay/lesbian talk went, and some of the more interesting discussions about sexual matter. Heck, the "I got laid" thread was over there. Those were all less active there than they were here because a lot of people apparently don't venture over there, but still. I think pictures made up less than half the threads in there.
Yeah, there was a lot less random pic dumping than one might expect.

Mods can still see it. I wanted to see what kind of reaction I'd get if it went away. Nobody had posted in it for like a week.

T

Twitch

I wouldn't mind if it was gone. On that note I also wouldn't mind those threads somewhere else, just tagged NSFW.

H

Heavan

If there isn't a NSFW thread what will I browse at work to feel like a rebel?

P

Philosopher B.

Put it back. I must see the latest discourse on cunning linguists.

Even if people only post infrequently, it's not really doing any damage just sitting there, is it? Would it cost us to keep it, in terms of hosting or advertising or something?

Things are slowly disappearing, one by one.

Wait, hang on. I saw an episode of Star Trek: TNG about this once. Quick, computer! Continue relaying any and all vital signs for Sheg!

ThatNickGuy said:
Things are slowly disappearing, one by one.

Wait, hang on. I saw an episode of Star Trek: TNG about this once. Quick, computer! Continue relaying any and all vital signs for Sheg!
[nerd]

Computer, is it logical that a galaxy class vessel would have a crew of one?!

[/nerd]

Edrondol said:
Mods can still see it. I wanted to see what kind of reaction I'd get if it went away. Nobody had posted in it for like a week.
Well we don't want sticky keyboards, so duh.

Okay, here's the reason. Go to Theater Hopper and click on the Thorum. Or just believe me when I tell you that it's just gone. Gone, gone, gone.

I've been trying to get Tom to link to us for his forum and he's been resisting. I think the NSFW might have been one of the reasons. IT'S STILL THERE! You just can't see it. So if I can get a pretty decently sized webcomic to link to us it'll stay gone, otherwise we can bring it back with no links/pictures/threads gone.

It's all about the survival of Halforum.

...But if you keep the NSFW forum away, the NSFW posts will just end back up here. Or you'll start to seriously cut into the whole "we're free to do what we want" atmosphere that reigned when we'd just cut loose from HP. The first means that, in the end, it'll be worse for people linking here; while the second means one of HF's defining features si disappearing.
Mind rthat I don't say the NSFW forum is a defining feature of HF - it's been gone before - but.... I dunno. Can't really word it right, but once we really start limiting ourselves and deciding what we can and can't talk about and all that, I feel something's gone. *shrug*

I could always simply password the NSFW forum. That way if people wanted to go there they could, but I'd have to give them the magic word.

Edrondol said:
Okay, here's the reason. Go to Theater Hopper and click on the Thorum. Or just believe me when I tell you that it's just gone. Gone, gone, gone.

I've been trying to get Tom to link to us for his forum and he's been resisting. I think the NSFW might have been one of the reasons. IT'S STILL THERE! You just can't see it. So if I can get a pretty decently sized webcomic to link to us it'll stay gone, otherwise we can bring it back with no links/pictures/threads gone.

It's all about the survival of Halforum.
I still don't understand why he didn't just have us be "his forum" with his own subsection when we moved.

If he needs the NSFW section gone to link us, I see it as an acceptable tradeoff.

L

Lally

I don't care about the NSFW forum and never went there and really, don't care if it ever comes back, but I can understand what Bubs is saying too. If we change the forum for the purpose of being able to advertise it and get people to come here, then we may kill what we love about it (not that I'm saying the NSFW forum is what we love about it, I'm just generalizing because I've seen content sites take away their users' rights over being able to keep the site pretty for advertisers). I think rather than trying to hitch our wagon to a webcomic, it would be better to try and generate some of our own content. I know that's easy enough for me to say, as someone who has nothing to offer content-wise, but something about attempting to connect ourselves to someone else's content doesn't sit well with me for some reason.

Hey, Dave? It's your board, do what you want/think best.

The market will decide. It worked last time, right?

--Patrick

Can't you set up the NSFW forum so it's only available to those that ask for access? Make it so when people register it looks the same as if they hadn't registered - no NSFW forum at all. Then they ask you, and you add them to the user group that has access to that forum.

Personally, I'm glad that it's gone - I don't link here (or suggest this forum to others, such as friends and family) because of it. Not that this would make much of a difference, but I suspect others have the same issue.

-Adam

-- Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:57 am --

aw.

Beware the echo chamber effect.

-Adam

Status
Not open for further replies.