The Disney Thread: For Everything Concerning the House of Mouse

Dave

Staff member
That was my breaking point too.
The thing is, I LIKE the guy in a lot of stuff. But there are just some things where his voice just doesn't fit. This is one of them. Pineapple Express, Paul...those movies he's perfect.

Well hey, at least a whole new generation of young confused adolescents are going to discover Gadget.
She scares me the most. Notice how she wasn't shown anywhere in the trailer outside of the flashback? Considering Dale got "plastic surgery" and Monterey Jack is shown to be a washed up cheese addict hanging around in his underwear, the trend is not great. Either A) She is the one in trouble they have to save from "video piracy", B) She is dead, or C) She tried to make a comeback as a pop singer in stilettos before washing up, getting married to Gus from Cinderella, had sixty kids, and hangs around working on old cars while wondering what happened to her life. I don't see many other options based on how they want to present this movie.

WHat scares me about that is that literally none of the "named" voice actors are female. She's been voiced by a man in the past, but still.

She scares me the most. Notice how she wasn't shown anywhere in the trailer outside of the flashback? Considering Dale got "plastic surgery" and Monterey Jack is shown to be a washed up cheese addict hanging around in his underwear, the trend is not great. Either A) She is the one in trouble they have to save from "video piracy", B) She is dead, or C) She tried to make a comeback as a pop singer in stilettos before washing up, getting married to Gus from Cinderella, had sixty kids, and hangs around working on old cars while wondering what happened to her life. I don't see many other options based on how they want to present this movie.
She’s the successful one, got into tech development and made a ton. They wouldn’t show a female being a washout, even though that gives you more story options, it would go against the current Hollywood trope of all females are successful at everything.

She’s the successful one, got into tech development and made a ton. They wouldn’t show a female being a washout, even though that gives you more story options, it would go against the current Hollywood trope of all females are successful at everything.
See, my first thought was "she's the rich multimillionaire one of the group", but then that's either an out to leave her out of the story, or she's the damsel in distress, and neither's great. Perhaps I'm going for "they're not taking her, but her daughter/son/whatever".

See, my first thought was "she's the rich multimillionaire one of the group", but then that's either an out to leave her out of the story, or she's the damsel in distress, and neither's great. Perhaps I'm going for "they're not taking her, but her daughter/son/whatever".
Thinking more of she doesn’t want to leave the success to rejoin the gang that never moved on from the “glory days” of the past. Ends up having to because it’s the right thing, ends up providing McGuffin that’s needed to defeat the bad guys because it just happened to already be in development back at work.

Good point. Hope you are right and maybe you know more then me on that as I have not kept up with the behind the scenes on this movie. Just the true Hollywood story nature of the trailer makes me think they all doing terrible because a lot of those stories can get pretty negative.

As an aside, I decided to watch the trailer one more time, a bit closer, and she DOES appear in the present, so at least we know she isn't dead. She is the one flying the ranger plane and appears for a split second when Dale launched himself on the rocket. She isn't wearing her goggles and seems to be in some sort of black pantsuit so that does track with the whole tech billionaire angle.

Gadget.JPG

Good point. Hope you are right and maybe you know more then me on that as I have not kept up with the behind the scenes on this movie. Just the true Hollywood story nature of the trailer makes me think they all doing terrible because a lot of those stories can get pretty negative.

As an aside, I decided to watch the trailer one more time, a bit closer, and she DOES appear in the present, so at least we know she isn't dead. She is the one flying the ranger plane and appears for a split second when Dale launched himself on the rocket. She isn't wearing her goggles and seems to be in some sort of black pantsuit so that does track with the whole tech billionaire angle.

View attachment 40613
I know nothing, I’m just throwing stuff out in how I think that Disney/Hollywood would use her in a movie. She was always portrayed as being more level headed than the guys.

WHat scares me about that is that literally none of the "named" voice actors are female. She's been voiced by a man in the past, but still.
She was? I'm pretty sure Tress Macneille (who is in the credits, btw) always voiced Gadget, unless there's another appearance of her's I'm not aware of.

Well, there is a religious cult she's the center of in Russia*, so maybe they're bringing in that angle?

(* I wish I was making that up. )

To be fair, if I remember them in the DuckTales reboot, they were pretty much just mouse squeaks. They never had an actual voiced role.
This is correct.

As for why Rescue Rangers is in HD and some of the other series don't? It's probably because Rescue Rangers recently had a full series release on Blu-Ray.

I'm glad they're bringing over Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage. It's a shame Luke Cage only got that one season, though.

Too bad Netflix never made any other MCU shows.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm glad they're bringing over Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage. It's a shame Luke Cage only got that one season, though.

Jessica Jones also could have benefitted from a second season. I just worry they'd mess it up trying to shoehorn in ridiculous Hellcat nonsense.

Huh? Luke Cage got a second season. And it was better than the first in some ways. At least more consistent where they didn't rug pull and switch villains halfway through.

GasBandit

Staff member
Huh? Luke Cage got a second season. And it was better than the first in some ways. At least more consistent where they didn't rug pull and switch villains halfway through.
For the most part I agree, with the huge exception of that outfit the villain wore.

It looked like a dollar store halloween costume.

Eh, I felt like the 2nd season had pacing issues, and I didn't like the ending. It just wasn't my cup of tea. Good to know other people enjoyed it, though.

For the most part I agree, with the huge exception of that outfit the villain wore.

It looked like a dollar store halloween costume.
Diamondback, at the end of the first season? Yeah, it was laughable.

I think my issue with the Netflix Marvel shows is they were largely good, but could've been better with shorter seasons. 12 episodes could've been crunched down to 8 and I think it would've helped with the pacing issues most series had. Iron Fist's second season was shorter and it benefited. It still wasn't great, but it was better than the first season by a mile.

Last edited:
Iron Fist? Nope, they never made that one. I bet if they found a good, charismatic actor who committed to the role and took some martial arts lessons it would make for a good series! It would be a ton of cool martial arts scenes, with hardly any boring scenes about board meetings or corporate politics. Yup. That sure would be something.

Diamondback, at the end of the first season? Yeah, it was laughable.

I think my issue with the Netflix Marvel shows is they were largely good, but could've been better with shorter seasons. 12 episodes could've been crunched down to 8 and I think it would've helped with the pacing issues most series had. Iron Fist's second season was shorter and it benefited. It still wasn't great, but it was better than the first season by a mile.
First season of Daredevil was the only one that I didn’t almost tune out half way through. They were great shows, but like you said, could’ve had 2-3 less episodes.

Iron Fist? Nope, they never made that one. I bet if they found a good, charismatic actor who committed to the role and took some martial arts lessons it would make for a good series! It would be a ton of cool martial arts scenes, with hardly any boring scenes about board meetings or corporate politics. Yup. That sure would be something.
I loved Iron Fist comic books. My big gripe about the series was that for someone who spent his entire young life training to be a warrior, he sure was a whiny pussy that couldn't fight.

There was that one short they made with Iron Fist. It's a shame they didn't do more -- I thought she showed a lot of promise.