The Disney Thread: For Everything Concerning the House of Mouse

Some of them used it as a helicopter in Star Wars Rebels.
Yeah... but that's also a kids show and so I think realistically some of it can be seen as exaggeration.

But if they prove me wrong and they've got inquisitors just flying around inspector gadget style I'll give them points for embracing the silliness.

I skipped The Book of Boba Fett because, well... it looked shitty. However, I really liked The Mandalorian. Do I need to watch TBoBF to enjoy Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Yeah, what @chris said. You might want to watch some Clone Wars? I'd definitely watch the episode "Twin Suns" from Rebels at the very least, as I suspect that's about the time frame this series takes place and deals with Obi-wan on Tatooine.

Book of Boba Fett is an unintentional comedy showcasing just how shit of a bounty hunter/crime lord Boba Fett is. He's a clumsy imbecile the entire time.

GasBandit

Staff member
Book of Boba Fett is an unintentional comedy showcasing just how shit of a bounty hunter/crime lord Boba Fett is. He's a clumsy imbecile the entire time.
The low speed rainbow-colored vespa chase was the crowning moment of said unintentional comedy, imo.

The low speed rainbow-colored vespa chase was the crowning moment of said unintentional comedy, imo.
It's very clear they wanted to do a Bosozoku gang but didn't understand that you can't do that on sand unless it's like... dirt bikes or something. So instead we got slow moving scooters.

I skipped The Book of Boba Fett because, well... it looked shitty. However, I really liked The Mandalorian. Do I need to watch TBoBF to enjoy Obi-Wan Kenobi?
If you liked Mandalorian, the last three episodes of Boba Fett are essential watching. Episodes 5 and 6 are Mandalorian episodes in all but name. They might as well be the first two episodes of Mandalorian Season 3. Mando is heavily involved in Episode 7 and will be important watching whenever they do an actual Season 3. Like, there is MAJOR character developments for Mando and others in his life (won't say who without giving it away).

Which is...completely maddening. If you were only interested in Mandalorian, all of a sudden, Boba Fett's show becomes essential viewing. Which is stupid as hell.

GasBandit

Staff member
If you liked Mandalorian, the last three episodes of Boba Fett are essential watching. Episodes 5 and 6 are Mandalorian episodes in all but name. They might as well be the first two episodes of Mandalorian Season 3. Mando is heavily involved in Episode 7 and will be important watching whenever they do an actual Season 3. Like, there is MAJOR character developments for Mando and others in his life (won't say who without giving it away).

Which is...completely maddening. If you were only interested in Mandalorian, all of a sudden, Boba Fett's show becomes essential viewing. Which is stupid as hell.

The thing that is so baffling is that it's easy to draw inspiration for a Boba Fett show. Start with a Clint Eastwood movie (or possibly a Toshiro Mifune movie) and do a Star Wars riff on it. Seriously, Unforgiven but Boba Fett; High Plains Drifter but Boba Fett; Yojimbo but Boba Fett; etc..

(Laughs in DC and Marvel)

--Patrick
The difference is there isn't a Disney+ show (so far) that completely interrupts the main character's show to show several episodes of a different character who already has their own show. There isn't an example like that, that I can think of, in the movies, either, where a LARGE chunk of the movie is suddenly dedicated to a completely different character. Even Civil War was still a Captain America movie at its core (that guest starred a bunch of Avengers).

I think Book of Boba Fett is an example of a series the creators didn't want to do but execs want to sell Boba Fett toys, so they take the project and go camp as hell, returning to Boba Fett's EU roots with just absolute silly and dumb shit. It's not gritty like the Mandalorian, it's fluff like the star wars holiday special.

The stuff with the sand people was good. I liked them filling out the culture of the Tuskens. I wish they'd just followed through on that. Like @evilmike said, they could have done a full on Western. They could have focused on how the Tuskens save his life, so Boba repays them by wiping out the gangs that are threatening them. Which did happen, but it didn't have a conclusion--what was the effect on the Tuskens? Do they get their land back? Do the humans leave them alone now? They could have explored the issues of indigenous rights even. And they still could have put his team-up with Fennec and getting his ship back from Jabba's palace within a story arc focused on him helping the Tuskens. But the interesting story was interrupted by the mess that was "Boba takes over Jabba's territory because...reasons."

It could just have been as easy as showing him again as the badass he was for a few minutes in Mando season 2. Then he could have gone the traditional 'I'm getting too old for this shit' and try to settle down for a steady revenue while sitting on a throne, unfortunately still having to deal with other crime families.

They could have gone in a lot of different directions with Boba, but I think they were hobbled by Mando - you can't have two similar-looking guys with stories that are too similar and so on. And, well, Mando got the more interesting story.

I still don't get why fans are/were such a big fan of Boba. In the movies he was a nobody. In the EU, he still didn't impress me. And this new version still isn't all that special.

"They will die a death that will last millennia, until all that remains is their code, their history, and in the end, the shell of their armor upon the shell of a man, too easily slain by Jedi."

I wonder if Alec Guinness would have complained about the script if he had been allowed monologues like that.

But you need to British it up, like, "your parents bollocksed that up, too... bunch of arseholes identical to the man... Shitte was wild, kid."