The Disney Thread: For Everything Concerning the House of Mouse

figmentPez

Staff member
Disneyland had some unscheduled rapid combustion during Fantasmic last night. The Maleficent dragon caught fire and part of the park had to be evacuated.

Here we gooooooo!

I have/had something for this, and I can't find it, and for past 24 hours, it is driving me CRAZY.

There was a comic strip, and I SWEAR my brain is remembering it as Bloom County/Outland, because I could have I sworn it came from Binkley's anxiety closest. Snow White was tearfully talking to someone about Disney's strictness and it's lawyers. All the sudden, a Disney lawyer shows up and says something like, "Uh oh, princess, looks like someone wandered off the reservation!" And it ends with the lawyer dragging Snow White off, saying "Hi-ho, Hi-ho, it's off to court we go!".

I must be losing my mind. I went through all my Bloom County and Outland books, albeit quickly, and I couldn't find it. I know I'm not imagining it, because it's very specific, and I know it's something I read multiple times in my youth. Does ANYONE remember this comic? If it's not Bloom County, I'm having a hard time thinking what it would be. Too whimiscal for Doonesbury, too dark for Calvin & Hobbes or Foxtrot.

I have/had something for this, and I can't find it, and for past 24 hours, it is driving me CRAZY.

There was a comic strip, and I SWEAR my brain is remembering it as Bloom County/Outland, because I could have I sworn it came from Binkley's anxiety closest. Snow White was tearfully talking to someone about Disney's strictness and it's lawyers. All the sudden, a Disney lawyer shows up and says something like, "Uh oh, princess, looks like someone wandered off the reservation!" And it ends with the lawyer dragging Snow White off, saying "Hi-ho, Hi-ho, it's off to court we go!".

I must be losing my mind. I went through all my Bloom County and Outland books, albeit quickly, and I couldn't find it. I know I'm not imagining it, because it's very specific, and I know it's something I read multiple times in my youth. Does ANYONE remember this comic? If it's not Bloom County, I'm having a hard time thinking what it would be. Too whimiscal for Doonesbury, too dark for Calvin & Hobbes or Foxtrot.
It does sound familiar. I poked around Bloom County/Outland/Opus but didn't find anything either. Sheldon by Dave Kellett is a possibility, too.

It does sound familiar. I poked around Bloom County/Outland/Opus but didn't find anything either. Sheldon by Dave Kellett is a possibility, too.
I'm pretty sure it wasn't Sheldon. The drawing style was a little more rough, especially for Snow White. Whatever it was, it has to be visually close to Bloom County, I think.
I tried Google yesterday, especially the key words, and got nothing. Ooo, this is still bugging me!

You know, talking it through with you guys helped. I realized my original instincts were off a bit. It WAS Doonesbury:

Scan_20230428.jpg

Didn't anyone warn Ol' Ronnie D about this?

Also, funny enough, this was from the book, Give Those Nymphs Some Hooters, pub. 1989, one of the many Doonesbury books to call out Trump for being the scumbag, empty-brained blowhard he's always been. I can see why I thought it was Bloom County. They both hated him. And Disney lawyers.

I mean, it's 5000 dollars for a windowless hotel room that Bob Chapek cut every corner he could in construction. I'm shocked it lasted this long.

I mean, it's 5000 dollars for a windowless hotel room that Bob Chapek cut every corner he could in construction. I'm shocked it lasted this long.
From what I've both heard and read, basically anyone actually able to afford the event and willing to spend that much for it was generally satisfied with the experience. But that was also a pretty self-selecting bunch of people to begin with... for every person I know who could actually afford the price I know several who realized they could just spend a week somewhere just as nice for less. COVID certainly didn't help.

From what I've both heard and read, basically anyone actually able to afford the event and willing to spend that much for it was generally satisfied with the experience. But that was also a pretty self-selecting bunch of people to begin with... for every person I know who could actually afford the price I know several who realized they could just spend a week somewhere just as nice for less. COVID certainly didn't help.
I can’t imagine that it helps that the experience is entirely separate from an experience at Disney World as well. It’s two days that you spend on the ship or in the Star Wars Galaxies section of the Studios park. Any family wanting to come out to Florida for Disneyworld isn’t going to want to have to pay for two days of not experiencing Disney World.

I can’t imagine that it helps that the experience is entirely separate from an experience at Disney World as well. It’s two days that you spend on the ship or in the Star Wars Galaxies section of the Studios park. Any family wanting to come out to Florida for Disneyworld isn’t going to want to have to pay for two days of not experiencing Disney World.
I always assumed you could leave to actually visit the park. Not that you were effectively kidnapped for a couples days.
I mean I love immersive theater but multiple days of it for an insane price is just too much.

figmentPez

Staff member
I always assumed you could leave to actually visit the park. Not that you were effectively kidnapped for a couples days.
I mean I love immersive theater but multiple days of it for an insane price is just too much.
If you leave, you miss out on events, which may lead to missing out on other events that you are present for but can't get into because you didn't do the quest, or get the invite, or whatever.

It's not just immersive theater, it's a game with branching paths.

Even if you can go to the Magic Kingdom while you're staying at the Star Wars hotel, why would someone pay that much money and then miss out on big chunks of what they paid for?

If you leave, you miss out on events, which may lead to missing out on other events that you are present for but can't get into because you didn't do the quest, or get the invite, or whatever.

It's not just immersive theater, it's a game with branching paths.

Even if you can go to the Magic Kingdom while you're staying at the Star Wars hotel, why would someone pay that much money and then miss out on big chunks of what they paid for?
I believe this is America. Where you should be allowed to waste your money if you see fit.
And I don’t believe that anything can be so tightly scripted that it’s impossible to take a few hours and go out into the magic kingdom. Or hell they’re paying at least $1000 per person Disney should give them some park hoppers

I looked into it back when it started... It really wasn't intended to be used as a hotel to go out and visit other things. For all intents and purposes, you were on an (intergalactic) cruise ship. All days were filled with events, shows, tours, "excursions" to planets you visit, etc. You were supposed to pretty much forget you were on earth.
Leaving to visit the Animal Kingdom would pretty much defeat the point. You were paying so much for an experience, not for a hotel.
I suppose you're not kidnapped so you technically could, but then... Why bother, go for a fancy Disney hotel instead.

I suppose you're not kidnapped so you technically could, but then... Why bother, go for a fancy Disney hotel instead.
Which people did. And it’s a very succinct reason why it’s a shit idea from the get go. The attractions shouldn’t be fighting each other for guests.

I think it's an amazing idea but price combined with opening during COVID times pretty much killed it.
Also didn’t help that Chapek & Co kept taking away from the experience. Smaller interactive screens in rooms, fewer characters on the cruiser, and eliminating experiences at Black Spire. The cost for the 2 night cruise for 2 was more than the cost of a 7 day Disney Cruise Lines cruise for 2, and seemed to offer less than the Star Wars Day at sea experience.