[TV] The Doctor Who Thread

Rory was the best companion. I thought the romance between Rory and Amy was very interesting, because Rory loved her more than she loved him. That's not something you often see written for characters like this, at least without the intent of having the relationship implode, whereas their relationship lasted until the end. Sometimes through several deaths and apocalypses.

Rory was the best companion. I thought the romance between Rory and Amy was very interesting, because Rory loved her more than she loved him. That's not something you often see written for characters like this, at least without the intent of having the relationship implode, whereas their relationship lasted until the end. Sometimes through several deaths and apocalypses.
Not that I don't see where you're coming from, but didn't they explicitly shoot down this idea in Asylum of the Daleks?

Amy definitely was a flirt, and only towards the end did she really show dedication to Rory. But you could see how much he did mean to her. There are some amazing episodes that really show Amy in better light regarding her affections for Rory.

Amy's Choice
The Girl Who Waited
Asylum of the Daleks
Angels in Manhatten

Rory of course is great in whichever episode he happens to be in. He's my absolute favorite companion. My reasoning behind this is he's an amazing human being who questions the Doctor whenever he can. Donna was similar, but she had a rough edge to her that didn't always appeal to me.

I feel that losing the Amy/Rory dynamic is exactly where the series went wrong in the second half of season 7. I'm really not a fan of Clara. She's bland and doesn't offer anything to the Doctor except try to be the plucky Amy character without actually having any personality.

Clara needs more to do besides being perky. I'm hoping the Next Doctor will bring out more personality in her.

To be fair, though, couldn't this be said about half of the Doctor's companions over the years?
I'd have to politely disagree. I feel like a lot of the writers have been pretty good about giving the companions their own voices. In recent years, you know, say, River isn't going to react to a situation the same way Donna would. Or Rose tended to be more wide-eyed and naive, where as Martha would be skeptical, or Amy would run head-long into trouble with her over-confidence. And if you go back to pre-2005 reboot companions, there are a huge range of companion personalities. You could quote a piece of dialogue and it would be obvious who was saying it without any audio or visual hints. I'm not saying there aren't some companions who blend together, but I feel like most of them have been fairly-realized characters, for good or ill.

I'd say that's my biggest frustration with Clara: they haven't given her a voice that's uniquely hers yet. The closest they came is that she didn't initially WANT to travel with the Doctor; he had to convince her. And after that... nothing.

Really? I feel like Tegan tended to be very contrary to the Doctor, and Ace had a rebellious and somewhat disrespectful tone (usually calling him "Professor"). But then again, everybody interprets these things differently.

Well, I cried. Hell, I bawled my eyes out. I even re-watched the last 5 minutes or so and cried again. Eccelston was my first Doctor, but Smith was MY Doctor. I'm sure I'll enjoy Capaldi just fine, but I'm going to miss the hell out of Smith.

A few quick, spoilery thoughts:

-Loved how they wrote Smith's shaved head into the story. I think he shaved it for another, completely separate role. Still weird to see him with a completely bald head after years of seeing those long locks.
-I was crying enough as it was near the end, but then they had to go and briefly bring back Amy. Bastards. Though she was pretty clearly sporting a wig, too.
-So, was Tasha Lynn (the leader of the Church) River Song? I'm about 98% it was supposed to be, but they left it a little bit vague.
-How badass was it when he weaponized his regeneration energy?
-Capaldi's apparently the third Scottish actor, but the first being allowed to use it. That should be interesting.
-Bow ties are no longer cool. :(
-While already weeping, I was ready for another maybe 30 seconds as we watched Smith shoot out another burst of energy and his face morphing into Capaldi. NOPE! Just a quick head snap back and boom, new Doctor. That took me by surprise.

Tasha Lynn was... vague. But then, we saw her drive the tardis so... only one other person known that can do that.

The driving plot of this episode seemed a bit weak, but I'd be a liar if I said I didn't cry to see Matt Smith go.

I am saddened that I must work tonight and am unable to watch it. I am hopeful I can have time tomorrow to watch, but I also have to work in the afternoon, and in the morning I'm commited to joining my mother-in-law in buying me some suits for work as my Christmas present. So it's being put of for good causes, but I still am depressed about it a bit.

I'm watching the special now via my phone. Oh lord...
I laughed so hard when he asks Clara if he should project his holographic clothes to her parents and gran.

Tasha Lem is an avatar of the mainframe. The mainframe is the upgraded library that River Songs consciousness was implanted into.

I was impressed by how this episode took the build up that all the previous seasons have been laying down and... actually delivered. In this one episode you see all the pieces fall into place and actually seem as threatening and huge as it should be. We find out the significance of "Silence Falls" and how that has played out into everything. In fact, not only do they explain it, but they also mention how the faction that initiated the exploding of the TARDIS and the creation of River Song essentially set everything in motion in the first place. "You can't escape destiny if you're part of the history" was a nice quick sum up. It also answers a lot of questions. Such as how the militant religion seems to not only be responsible for creating River to kill the Doctor, but also responsible for incarcerating her for the crime of... killing the Doctor. A little confusing at the time, but makes so much more sense now.

I would have liked a longer day period on the planet to match the previously shown models. But twas a fun roundup of many pesky wibbly wobblies to help bring forth a new generation of Doctors.

Am I the only one who thought the episode was pretty much terrible?
I think it felt very rushed, and it certainly wasn't as strong as some of the more stellar Who episodes, but I don't think it was terrible. It fits with some of the weaker Who episodes where instead of being great, it's just merely ok.

I think it felt very rushed, and it certainly wasn't as strong as some of the more stellar Who episodes, but I don't think it was terrible. It fits with some of the weaker Who episodes where instead of being great, it's just merely ok.
Pretty much my thoughts on the episode. I did really like
The bit about every persons life being made up of different personalities.

Am I the only one who thought the episode was pretty much terrible?
I thought that it started off well but then kinda fizzled out.

It was as if they ran out of ideas in the writers room and kinda hand waved it along to the conclusion.

The Doctor can hang out in this town for hundreds of years "defending" it while generations of people suffer, die and are born.

I'm hoping with the change in Doctor we will see more interesting interplay with Clara than what we have seen so far. At least I assume that there will need to be some kind of shift.

Testing this tapatalk thingy

Sent from my SCH-S960L using Tapatalk
Not that it's relevant anymore. The new update requires a tapatalk ID to use the app at ALL. One star reviews are pouring in as a result. Only a matter of time before the iPad version locks me out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Finally caught up. I wasn't keen on Smith for awhile there, but I think things got a lot better in s6 and beyond.

The final episode was okay, but Tennant's is still the best.

What I'm really curious about, though, is how well an older Doctor will go over with the general fanbase. Personally I'm looking forward to it in the hopes that it'll knock those stupid gaga-over-the-Doctor subplots out of the way for a change.

Finally caught up. I wasn't keen on Smith for awhile there, but I think things got a lot better in s6 and beyond.

The final episode was okay, but Tennant's is still the best.

What I'm really curious about, though, is how well an older Doctor will go over with the general fanbase. Personally I'm looking forward to it in the hopes that it'll knock those stupid gaga-over-the-Doctor subplots out of the way for a change.
Amen to that.

Besides age, Capaldi is more classically good looking than the other 3 doctors of this generation. So I don't think the romance subplots will go away. There will just be less love interests with the companions. Heck, even the 70'ish First Doctor had is love interests.

That was my assumption. (Meaning step-mother). Little hard to ret-con a main point of one ep. in another of the same season.

I get the feeling they're going for a 3rd Doctor vibe, similar to Tennant having a Peter Davidson vibe and Smith having a Tom Baker vibe at points.

I like the outfit, but maybe it's just me but it feels kind of...plain. Guess I'm used to bright blue 3-piece suits, bowties, and fezzes.