Export thread

The EPIC WIN Thread 2: EPIC HARDER!

Limit: 500

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

The EPIC WIN Thread - 2

HI BILLY MAYS HERE AND I'M THE FIRST POST IN THIS THREAD!

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

In just over 24 hours I will be on a plane heading to see my girl in Virginia! :aaahhh: :heart:

Fun Size

Fun Size

This morning, while cleaning off my overridden machine to make room for some Monkey Island goodness, I found a folder of short stories I wrote before. I read one, and it didn't totally suck.

Would have been a bigger win had I found the folder before the June contest ended, but still.

Anubinomicon

Cajungal

Cajungal

Cheesy1 said:
In just over 24 hours I will be on a plane heading to see my girl in Virginia! :aaahhh: :heart:
YAAAAAAAAAAY! :D

Anubinomicon

lol i thought it said heading to see my girl's vagina.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Anubinomicon said:
lol i thought it said heading to see my girl's vagina.
That's going to be his next post in this thread.

Batdan

Wait Bumble, you forgot something

:rimshot:

My son works tonight, my daughter is going to a friend's house. My wife is going to an adult "toy" party. I'll have the house to myself until midnight or so!

No so epic: I have no idea what I'm going to do. Probably watch TV or play Titan Quest. Just like I usually do anyway.

Batdan

Edrondol said:
My son works tonight, my daughter is going to a friend's house. My wife is going to an adult "toy" party. I'll have the house to myself until midnight or so!

No so epic: I have no idea what I'm going to do. Probably watch TV or play Titan Quest. Just like I usually do anyway.
Or worry about what will happen when your wife comes back from said party. EEP!

Bubble181

Bubble181

Cheesy1 said:

Don't forget to whistlet Robin Hood (I do, indeed, have the memory of an elephant while at the same time having the conecetrational skills of a goldfish. Why do you...SQUIRREL! :-P)

Gurpel

Gurpel

Edrondol said:
My wife is going to an adult "toy" party.
hahaha what!?

LordRavage

I won the Halforum Short Story contest. It feels pretty epic. :D

(Still in Happy Happy Joy Joy mode.)

HoboNinja

HoboNinja

Welp the girl I had been seeing for about two months and me are finally "dating" as of last night.

So thats good...

I am trying to quit smoking too so I will post in here again when I make it a week...

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Gurpel said:
Edrondol said:
My wife is going to an adult "toy" party.
hahaha what!?
If Dave's daughter finds her way into this thread, it will surely be epic.

Gusto

Gusto

HoboNinja said:
Welp the girl I had been seeing for about two months and me are finally "dating" as of last night.

So thats good...

I am trying to quit smoking too so I will post in here again when I make it a week...
Both excellent. :D

jaythen

Ok, mixed win and rant.

OK, win first with some background for setup.

Background:
I have been divorced for over a year now, and in that time I have been only on three dates.
The ladies were nice, but didn't feel any connection or draw to them after going out and spending time together.
Friends suggested Okcupid.com and Plentyoffish.com to get back into the dating scene. Though PoF got me 3 dates, didnt have any luck with Okcupid. Not man-bawing, just not had any good luck with the dating scene.

The Win part:
I posted an ad on craigslist. Ok, I know most of you are cringing right there. Didn't hear much back except from people dropping drama in their initial email to the obviously expected spam and one scam. The 30 days were just about up when I got an email that looked like it was from a real person.
The person that wrote me is new in town and she is looking to make new friends/date.
As the emails progressed, I found myself really interested, and she asked (before I could) to meet.
We hung out for the evening the following week having dinner, me showing her around town, playing mini golf, and having a great time.
She is a doctor starting her residency at the local hospital, has geek tendencies (loves xkcd and a few other webcomics, reads Dresden novels-for a few points), lived on a farm and participated in dog shows with her mom (though she dislikes them herself), and to me is just gorgeous.
Last time we spent time together, we saw Away We Go (great movie by the way), had dinner and wandered downtown talking. Went back to her place (her first time taking me inside her apartment) and talked for another hour. When leaving, we still found ourselves saying goodnight, but still talking, then saying goodnight. Each time, a hug and goodnight.

Rant:
We have such different schedules that it is difficult to co-ordinate time together.
Divorce left me financially strapped for a while and just now getting back on me feet. Right now, I am living at my parents and I want to get out for many various reasons, let alone just want to be on my own again.
I may be too shy or cautious of moving to fast that I may have missed or might miss an opportunity to show her that I am interested in being more than just friends.
Sometimes, with email or text, it takes a while before I hear back. Leaves me thinking that either I may have been too forward, though it may be that she might be very busy.
Her being a doctor, me being well, a retail worker, I have reservations about myself being the right match for what she may be looking for. I know I may be worrying too much on that part.

I am being patient with her schedule and getting to know her enough before making an attempt at showing more than friend interest. I just hate the waiting part, but I find her awesome and willing to wait to not ruin it.

Been having a rough week. Yesterday I was scheduled to get a haircut and see Spamalot. I was already feeling like crap before the show and then my friend told me there'd be all these other people there. These days I don't do spontaneous socializing very well at all (not an anxiety thing, it's just physically very hard on me) so I was kinda pissed he hadn't told me earlier.

Well, the friend we drove to the show with and whom I sat next to was awesome. We hit it off and it was very easy to talk to him. So that was win.

The other friend (who was there with his wife) was not. He was boring and kind of a dick -- he kept saying the "Holy Grail" lines in the show loudly before the actors even had a chance. When he came back from intermission I was standing, and he was sort of slouching on my seat as we talked. At one point I started gently trying to get him off the seat so I could sit. He was all "yeah we'll sit when it starts." Still nice, I said "Actually I'd kinda like to sit now." He made this "wow what a bitch" kind of face and gesture and moved.

So I VERY nicely and off-handedly said "Yeah, you know I have this cane here, so sometimes I just really need to sit." Pause. Him: "I didn't know you had a cane." Another pause. Again: "I didn't know you had a cane." Effortless guilt trip win.

And finally -- epic Spamalot win. Absolutely great show (and you might know I'm a big theatre snob). So glad I never listened to the soundtrack or had any of it spoiled for me. Had a sore throat last night from all the laughing.

Today I am a complete crap puddle but it was totally, totally worth it. :D :thumbsup:

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Finally have some interviews lined up. The manager of the deli I applied to is very eager to introduce me to his assistant managers and hiring guy tomorrow after a meeting, and if that doesn't go I have another interview at an electrician company to work as an assistant or apprentice (not sure which).

Hoping for the deli job, personally, I kinda miss cooking.

We live in a two-family duplex and our landlord is upstairs. He is among other things a terrific cook. He was having a little party with some friends where they were testing out all different kinds of pizza recipes (very thin crust, Italian style), and because a couple of people cancelled, he brought down slices of each pizza for both me and Mr. ZM.

1. Margherita
2. Italian sausage
3. Pancetta, egg, and arugula
4. Caramelized onions, truffle cheese, anchovies (better than it sounds)
5. Caprese (heirloom tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, balsamic vinegar)
6. Another type of Italian sausage AND omg drool spicy Cajun chicken sausage
7. Portobello, proscuitto, shaved parmesan and pine nuts

This was over the course of two or three hours so I'm not even stuffed, just very happily full of delicious food.

ThatGrinningIdiot!

ThatGrinningIdiot!

ZenMonkey said:
We live in a two-family duplex and our landlord is upstairs. He is among other things a terrific cook. He was having a little party with some friends where they were testing out all different kinds of pizza recipes (very thin crust, Italian style), and because a couple of people cancelled, he brought down slices of each pizza for both me and Mr. ZM.

1. Margherita
2. Italian sausage

This was over the course of two or three hours so I'm not even stuffed, just very happily full of delicious food.
Dayum ZM, that description made me hungry. :uhhuh:

BlackCrossCrusader said:
Dayum ZM, that description made me hungry. :uhhuh:
Everything was so, so good. He even used Italian flour for the crust. And the whole experience was like pizza omakase. I was very happy I had barely eaten all day so I had room to enjoy.

David

David

Epic wins, you say?

I get to fly to Germany in 53 days...

Also we finalized the script for my class animation project.

It's... it's not very good :eek:rly: I'd post it for you guys to take a look, but I'd prolly get yelled at.

Wasabi Poptart

ZenMonkey said:

1. Margherita
2. Italian sausage

I'll have numbers 1, 2, 5, and 7 - 2 slices each to go please. :D

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Best hour on the phone I've had in years. Too bad she's in PA till August, then moving back to CA.

Also, I HAVE A JOB WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Going to be working at a Jason's Deli in Norcross, not sure what I'll be doing but the hiring manager really wants me working there.

Wahad

Wahad

I just got an awesome edition of Paradise Lost (with original illustrations!) and of the Divine Comedy. :smug:

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Me: "Clearly the Maryann character is inspired by the Bacchae, so she either worships that ancient god or is cleary some form of psychic vampire who feeds off the lust filled frenzy of others.
My wife: "She can't be a vampire, she goes out in the daylight.."
Me: "I said psychic vampire, there's a difference. C'mon now get with the program."

Gusto

Gusto

:rofl:

That sounds like an excellent conversation.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

I'm back from Virginia! I had a very fun and eye-opening experiance there. Now I just got to figure out how I'm gonna get back there permanently. God, I love this woman! Again, I'd like to thank the awesome people here who helped make this life-changing event for me possible.

Both my girl and I thank you deeply!

You're a priest?

Batdan

Conga-rats Cheesy! Watch them dance!

Cajungal

Cajungal

She's lovely. :)

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Cajungal said:
She's lovely. :)
I definitely think so. :smug: :heart:

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

This isn't very epic, but still good.

I haven't posted much of anything in the forum since mid-May, b/c I have been crazy busy in the lab. I am mentoring two undergrads, and juggling three projects. At first, it was really stressful, but I got a routine going and have been quite productive. I have been working like a mad man (>60hrs/wk), but the days fly by. I will look at my watch at around 10am and think, "Oh no! They day is getting away from me!" It's good though, and my boss is happy as a clam since I am getting a lot done. He said once these 3 projects are finished, I can graduate!! WOO-HOO! But, that'll be about a year. Still cool to hear it though.

Cajungal

Cajungal

:thumbsup: You obviously have a lot of drive and competence in your field. Good for you for working so hard!

jaythen

Good day overall:
Passed the credit check/background check to get into an apartment. Should be able to move in to the apartment in about a month.
Happened upon a friend I hadn't seen in a few months. He was the lead guitarist and vocalist in his band and they were playing live during a downtown festival. Great music and got to catch up with him after they finished playing.
Small wins is what I am going for right now. The epic win is just around the corner.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Yeah Drawn, those sound like epic wins to me! Keep it up, you'll be there in no time! :D :thumbsup:

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Thanks CG and Cheesy!

Cheesy, good luck with the gal! Nothing feels as good as being in love. It's like skipping on clouds or something.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Thanks man! The whole trip helped to give me a clearer picture of what I'm trying to get myself into. It's kinda scary, but I love her and her kids so much, I feel it'll be worth it.

Chad Sexington

Garbledina

I went to a Paramore and No Doubt concert tonight. It was freaking awesome. No Doubt had such stage presence and the whole place was up and jumping through the entire show. Just freaking awesome.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Garbledina said:
I went to a Paramore and No Doubt concert tonight. It was freaking awesome. No Doubt had such stage presence and the whole place was up and jumping through the entire show. Just freaking awesome.
Saw that last month in Atlanta, and I concur. It restored my lost faith in No Doubt for sure.

Okay this is pretty embarrassing win but nonetheless. (MST3K/RiffTrax stuff ahead.) Both Michael J. Nelson and Bill Corbett happened to respond to a tweet I sent to them, separately. So I just shamelessly asked Kevin Murphy if he'd round out my MST3K trifecta. And he did. :heart:

In before "Twitter r dum" and "those weren't the original three" but hey, va fangul! :finger: I rarely go full starfucker but every now and then it's just too tempting.

Also in my defense it wasn't really shameless; I was so embarrassed I had to go scrub some pots to recover.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

ZenMonkey said:
Okay this is pretty embarrassing win but nonetheless. (MST3K/RiffTrax stuff ahead.) Both Michael J. Nelson and Bill Corbett happened to respond to a tweet I sent to them, separately. So I just shamelessly asked Kevin Murphy if he'd round out my MST3K trifecta. And he did. :heart:

In before "Twitter r dum" and "those weren't the original three" but hey, va fangul! :finger: I rarely go full starfucker but every now and then it's just too tempting.

Also in my defense it wasn't really shameless; I was so embarrassed I had to go scrub some pots to recover.
Mike Nelson > Joel anyway. But that's pretty sweet. :thumbsup:

Our fridge finally got fixed today, and I just celebrated by making a spicy mustard, pepper jack cheese and turkey sandwich. It was wonderful.

Wasabi Poptart

ZenMonkey said:
... but hey, va fangul! :finger:
Zen you're so awesome. :rofl:

Twitch

I cleared trees off of three acres. It was awesome.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

Think I got an RPG nerd who thinks he's cool to not like me :)

Enresshou

Enresshou

Bought the special edition of Pray for Villains, the new Devildriver CD, yesterday. I technically got it for free thanks to the Rewardzone giftcards I had, and it turns out it includes four extra songs.

Two of the extra songs are awesome, and have inspired me to go and kick more ass at drumming. Here's the only one I could find:

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_i0vlEtYZFQ:2f018rwc][/youtube:2f018rwc]

Krisken

Krisken

2 lbs of Jelly Belly's of flavors I love from my wife for our anniversary
Scud, Disposable Assassin TPB of all 25 issues
Meeting Dave McKean and having him sign my copy of Mirror Mask.

Worth 4 hours of driving. Dave is a super nice guy.

Gurpel

Gurpel

My power just came back on an hour or two ago. It went out around 9 last night, I'm not sure what happened, but i think a substation went out somehow. it really sucked having to light candles and wait. to compound matters, in the middle of the night, one of our trees blew over and broke our picnic table/possible the barbecue.

The weird (and win) part is that since the power came back on, my internet has been about 100kbps faster. woo.

Chad Sexington

Garbledina

My phone is set up to be able to play MP3s as ringtones, but my provider disables this functionality so I'll be forced to buy their ringtones (most of which are terrible) so for years I've been ring-tone-less.

Yesterday... that all changed.

After exhaustive googling and hunting down a program that is no longer available, I can 'trick' my phone into thinking the MP3s on it are from my provider and now, at long last, Shumann's Scherzo plays when my best friend phones me.

The kicker is I spend so much time at work that I'm pretty much too lazy to turn the ringer back on, so it's going to end up staying on vibrate anyways.

Wahad

Wahad

Just got back from Paris.

Good eating. Good sights. :drool:

Totally. Epic.

And it might not be over yet.

(This is in no way sexually related, you pervs.)

Chad Sexington

Garbledina

Apparently my work flooded. I'm currently deciding whether this is 'epic win' or 'epic fail'. On the one hand, no work for a week.

On the other hand, no wages for a week. Well, at least I have a second job.

Yeah, I'll definitely take a few days off and go with win, though perhaps not 'epic' in scale.

EDIT: Also, No Doubt sent me an email with a link to their entire discography for free! Well, I suppose I paid to see the concert, but I wasn't expecting that! Damn, that was awesome of them. (DRM-free too!) Unexpected and pure awesome.

Cajungal

Cajungal

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rj6Oi1_4kz8:3ouu7dw2][/youtube:3ouu7dw2]

Found this last night. :popcorn: Love it.

Espy

Espy

Just saw my name on the class list for fall teaching. I know it isn't much but damn, this is what I've wanted for so long now and it's pretty cool to see it in reality.

Still need that coat with patches on the elbows though...

Bubble181

Bubble181

ZenMonkey said:
Totally. Epic.

And it might not be over yet.
*Inhales for unfunny comment*

(This is in no way sexually related, you pervs.)
awwww....*deflates*

But hey, good for you :-P

Well, it was epic, and now it's over, but I'll get mocked if I talk about it here. :tongue:

Bubble181

Bubble181

You had an awesome rush of creativity and created a cool song for your husband? Satori did the very cutest thing ever in the history of Felinity? You mearned your cats' True Names? Mr ZM serenaded you badly but romantically with a horrible self-written love song? You discovered a new source of happiness in the quirky dancing of the birds outside your window? A TV show you'd seen years ago but couldn't remember the name of just randomly came on TV, allowing you to relive some moments from nostalgia - and it turned out to be actually good, not just good through rose-coloured lenses? I can think of lots of things that could qualify as "oh, you'll laugh at me" - epic wins that deserve sharing, and they're all amazingly cool and you'd be lucky and jealousy-worthy for each. It can't be that bad :-P

(In other news, I'm an incessant know-it-all who always wants to know everything just to hoard the information. Too bad my memory is as leaky as a diaper from the 18th century)

OH MY GOD QUIT WATCHING ME WITH THAT FUCKING TELESCOPE YOU PERVERT!

...I mean...it was all of that. That's just amazing.

:D

Nah, it's not worth going into, except that I was awesome, and ended up getting shit for it. The latter of which I honestly don't care that much about. (Oh, and this is all internet dramaz, and not HF either. Nothing whatever to do with anything real or important in my life.)

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Just finished reading the adventures of Robin Hood to my baby. :)
Tomorrow we venture forth with King Arthur!

Bubble181

Bubble181

Oh, so it's related to the whole " "oink" isn't enough thanks for someone who helps you, really" thing in the other thread.
Well, that's no epic win! We obviously assume you did great things, and since it's the internet, it's obvious the other side is more than likely not to reciprocate.
So, that's just plain you being epically great as usual. :-P

(one has to try and exercise that whole compliment thing from time to time, right? ;-))

Bubble181 said:
(one has to try and exercise that whole compliment thing from time to time, right? ;-))
Apparently. :heythere: No, it was fairly epic in fact. The fact that one of the principals is having a hard time with it is not in any way my problem other than that it's always amazing how hard and how long people will lie in a fetal position inside the cave of denial.

In other news...

HCGLNS said:
Just finished reading the adventures of Robin Hood to my baby. :)
Tomorrow we venture forth with King Arthur!
Awww! :D Excellent choices.

Bubble181

Bubble181

I, too, approve of Robin Hood, by the way, and King Arthur. Try to throw in some Lionheart stuff and you're set for one great Brit-loving child with some awesome taste :D

Cajungal

Cajungal

SO funny!
[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb9bsy0DOR0:2rvxnps7][/youtube:2rvxnps7]

Mr_Chaz

Just graduated from my Masters degree in Digital Electronics, even got an award from the university. Had a fancy meal with my dad, grandad and gf last night, and out for some drinks with coursemates later.

It feels fantastic to be me today! Now all I need is a job....

Wasabi Poptart

Congrats Mr_Chaz! :thumbsup:

Mr_Chaz said:
Just graduated from my Masters degree in Digital Electronics, even got an award from the university. Had a fancy meal with my dad, grandad and gf last night, and out for some drinks with coursemates later.

Very nice! Congrats, dude! :clap:

Cajungal

Cajungal

You go girl!

I mean, congrats.

Mr_Chaz said:

Congratulations! I hope the job search goes well for you.

Wasabi Poptart

We finally got paid for my husband's travel claim from back in April! HOORAY for money!

Cajungal

Cajungal

:D The fella's here. We're spending the afternoon drinking coffee, reading comics, and checking out the superhero art exhibit at my school.

Gared

Gared

The more I think about this: http://forum.halforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4931&p=206849#p206849, the more I realize it really is an Epic fucking Win not a rant. This means I get to go back to school and then do something I really do love and want to do, instead of getting treated like shit all day by angry customers.

Cats who like cheap toys are the best. I just spent ten minutes playing fetch with Zen after she fell in love with this hairband.

Gared

Gared

Yay for cheap cat toys! I think our cats' favorites are always things like yarn if Aja is crocheting something or twist ties; except for their catnip stuffed mice. The only thing that they love more than those mice is Valerian Root...

Wasabi Poptart

My parents' Siamese cat used to like playing with rubber bands. She kept a collection of them in a section of her food bowl. My cat liked to play with wrapped candies and cough drops because they would skitter across my laminate floors at top speed.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I love your cats. :)

M

Meraede

Good luck to you, Gared. You should like to have the energy and drive to pull it all together. I hope it works out for you and the missus.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Rock climbing in less than 24 hours!

Gared said:
The only thing that they love more than those mice is Valerian Root...
Really? They're herbal kitties? Zen loves her catnip but I've discovered she's also a total pothead. (That was an accidental discovery, by the way.)

WildSoul said:
My parents' Siamese cat used to like playing with rubber bands. She kept a collection of them in a section of her food bowl.
LOL! I love it when cats "collect" their toys. I fostered a hilarious bluepoint Siamese who would take his toy mice and put them in the toy that's like a little racing circle for a fake mouse. I think he wanted to see more competition.

And Cajun, they love you too. :D

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

ZenMonkey said:
Cats who like cheap toys are the best. I just spent ten minutes playing fetch with Zen after she fell in love with this hairband.
Crunched up pieces of paper and coffee cup trays for the victory!

HCGLNS said:
Crunched up pieces of paper and coffee cup trays for the victory!
Ours love these sparkly balls that are sold as pompoms for craft projects, for about $2 for a bag of lots. Whenever they disappear we just break out some more.

In other epic win, I FINALLY fixed the CSS problem that was causing my not-yet-live blog not to display correctly on other computers. I was dreading having to figure this out and the solution was remarkably simpler than I expected (although it's probably inelegant).

Now I just have to finish writing and editing the stuff I want on there before it's live. Yay!

Krisken

Krisken

My wife is finally done with school today and we go to pick her up tomorrow!

Ok, maybe it's her Epic Win, but I'm awful excited to have her home permanent like!

Krisken said:
Ok, maybe it's her Epic Win, but I'm awful excited to have her home permanent like!
Aw, that's your epic win too. :heart:

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Rock Band epic win.

I was playing the uhh, tour mode, with my little brother when he noticed this.

We almost started the next song and lost our chance to see this gem for good!

(Look at the Star-Count) :)

Cajungal

Cajungal

Rock climbing was...AWESOME! The people who work there are great--very friendly and helpful. The owner, Art, is a sweetheart. We climbed for four an a half hours, taking a few breaks. I was so excited that I didn't feel tired at all. After chatting for about 20 minutes, I finally started to feel tired, but I said "one more climb!"

I got halfway up before my right arm seized up. I fell back and just dangled there until Jake let me down. I'm a bit sore today, but it was so much fun!

Best moment of the day: As I reached the top of one wall, Bohemian Rhapsody starts. I sing it from the top. :D

Afterwards we read our comic books in the park. It was a cool, clear afternoon with a lovely breeze. Then we went to his restaurant for dinner, watched standup comedy, and had a looooooong night's sleep. We were both completely worn out.

That's great! Sounds like a wonderful day. :D

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

I came back from SDCC alive and well.

JONJONAUG

Just came back from a weeklong vacation to Florida and the Bahamas.

Flew down, went to a hotel and hung around swimming in the pool for a couple days. Went on a 2 day cruise to the Bahamas where I snorkeled at the coral reefs, turned twenty dollars into over three hundred dollars playing Blackjack at the casino, and ate good food and drank good drinks. Then we went to Orlando and went on the rides at Universal Studios (I really liked the Simpsons Ride, even if it did replace the equally awesome Back to the Future ride). Then we went home.

All in all, a really awesome week (besides the flight home being delayed an hour due to our plane getting hit by a bolt of lightning that also knocked out the guy loading baggage onto the plane).

JCM

Bumble the Boy Wonder said:
Rock Band epic win.

I was playing the uhh, tour mode, with my little brother when he noticed this.

We almost started the next song and lost our chance to see this gem for good!

(Look at the Star-Count) :)

Jesus, how long have you two been playing it?

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

JCM said:
Jesus, how long have you two been playing it?
Well, pretty much any time either of us go to a friends house we take my hard drive, since everyone wants to play the songs I've downloaded without paying for it themselves (cheap bastards!)

So... We have been playing since RB2 was launched, and we need lives. :tongue:

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Just signed up for an introductory voice acting class at Voice-One in San Fran on August 9th. Hopefully I will be able to get some financial aid to take the rest of the courses if this class seems like my cup of tea.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Best. Weekend. Ever.

Cajungal

Cajungal

That's awesome, Chips. Good luck with it!

CK, wanna elaborate?

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Cajungal said:
That's awesome, Chips. Good luck with it!

CK, wanna elaborate?
Spent Friday-Monday morning in PA with a girl I've liked since high school. It's a weird situation because she's Mormon and as far as long-term things go it won't work (want to get married in a Temple, etc), but in the meantime we had a great time wandering around Hershey, Philly and just laying around watching movies and talking. I don't even know if we're dating or what but I don't care, any amount of time spent with her is well-spent.

Gusto

Gusto

I went on my first date in five years and it went pretty well.

Got coffee, talked TV, music, movies, et cetera, had Chinese food, exchanged numbers, and parted ways. I have a good feeling about this.

Cajungal

Cajungal

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Krisken

Krisken

Glad to hear it Gusto!

Nothing like a long hiatus from the dating scent to refresh and get a clear perspective on what you want out of a relationship!

Batdan

Congratulations Gusto!

Gusto said:

Got coffee, talked TV, music, movies, et cetera, had Chinese food, exchanged numbers, and parted ways. I have a good feeling about this.
Wooo! Somehow I feel like I'm missing something though...like a PM...huh...

Gusto

Gusto

ZenMonkey said:
Gusto said:

Wooo! Somehow I feel like I'm missing something though...like a PM...huh...
Weeeeeeird.

/samjackson

I finally got this motherfucking blog off the motherfucking ground!

/samjackson off

Newly Nerfed, which I'm calling my "home for disabled geekery."

I swear this is not a gratuitous bump but a post that had to be made. Got taken out to the Pacific Dining Car, best steakhouse in L.A. and hopefully familiar to James Ellroy fans, for the launching of my goofy little blog.

This counts as

1. epic Mr. ZM win for just being the best husband ever, and also

2. epic food win because OHDEARJESUSSPAGHETTIMONSTERALLAHWHATEVER was that an amazing steak. Filet Oscar, cooked perfectly medium, pink in the middle with lots of red juice, with big chunks of Dungeness crab meat, giant asparagus stalks, all covered in Hollandaise or something like it. It's what I always get and tonight it happened to be more phenomenal than usual. Plus they had my favorite wine by the glass tonight, a Sonoma-Cutrer chardonnay we served at our wedding.

'Twas a good day. :D

M

Meraede

My husband is coming home this Friday and gets to stay until 9 August!

Eeeeeeee! :heart:

Jake

Jake

ZenMonkey said:
2. epic food win because OHDEARJESUSSPAGHETTIMONSTERALLAHWHATEVER was that an amazing steak.
Epic steak is indeed epic. I don't eat beef all that often, so I make sure it's the good stuff. A couple of the best I've had recently were an incredible chateaubriand at Sayler's Old Country Kitchen in Portland, OR and a super-thick aged & dry-rubbed monster at a steakhouse in Illinois (part of my brother's bachelor party) where you cook the steak yourself over charcoal while drinking a huge mug of beer. Mmm... beefy...

strawman

strawman

Well, I'm thinking it'll all go through.

Got a new Mazda 5 very similar to this one:

http://tinyurl.com/mazda5sport

For about $13k (ie, $7k, or 34% off).

It's a pretty decent car, but definitely an excellent deal. (Cash for clunkers, ford employee discount, various other rebates and dealer incentives, etc)

-Adam

Krisken

Krisken

Got back from House on the Rock. The place is both wonderful and crazy. I'll be writing about it on the blog, but it was a lot of fun (this is the short short short version).

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Krisken said:
Got back from House on the Rock. The place is both wonderful and crazy. I'll be writing about it on the blog, but it was a lot of fun (this is the short short short version).
Wasn't that place featured in American Gods by Neil Gaiman?

Krisken

Krisken

AshburnerX said:
Krisken said:
Yes, it was (love that book). That carousel was nuts to see. The walls around it are lined with carousel horses, but there isn't a single horse on the carousel.

The room and carousel is lined with 40,000 lights. It is a sight to behold.

Rob King

Rob King

Krisken said:
AshburnerX said:
Krisken said:
Yes, it was (love that book). That carousel was nuts to see. The walls around it are lined with carousel horses, but there isn't a single horse on the carousel.

The room and carousel is lined with 40,000 lights. It is a sight to behold.
Flip. That was a good book. If I ever get a chance to do all the travel I'd like to, my intention is to make a pilgrimage to the House on the Rock.

Espy

Espy

HELL. YES.
My wife and I just got a serious apartment upgrade. It's in the building next to us and it's a sweet 2 bedroom, much bigger than our current 2 bedroom.
It has 2 bathrooms, a vanity (she loves that), 2 balconies (his and hers???) and a huge master bedroom and for me: a bigger kitchen! Woo!

Grats Espy! Sounds like a sweet deal indeed.

Espy

Espy

The best part is that it's only a little more than we pay now.

Thread Necromancer

Thread Necromancer

Gusto

Gusto

Second date tonight. Hopefully I won't be posting in RANT later. :)

Cajungal

Cajungal

Go man go!

My friend just told me that there are 5 parishes in Louisiana that will pay you to continue your education if you make a 5 year contract with them. I wouldn't do it in some of the parishes (Avoyelles and Lafourche--if you lived here you'd know why). But one of them, St. Martin, is the first parish in Louisiana to raise the pay for public school teachers to a required 40k a year. So yeah, I think I could live there for 5 years if it meant teaching at a halfway decent school and getting my masters without leeching off my parents anymore. I'm gonna look into this...

Chad Sexington

Garbledina

My EMR course starts tomorrow. I'm on my way to being a paramedic!

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Garbledina said:
Good luck! I had a friend who did it for 6 months or so, he had to quit. Crazy hours and some stuff you just can't un-see made it too much for him.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I've gone a week and a half now without soda.

Bryan Singer just came to our front door.

Krisken

Krisken

ZenMonkey said:
Bryan Singer just came to our front door.
Wait, for real?

Yep. He's tight with our landlord and we've seen him before, but this was the first time we all had a nice chat. He knows some sign language!

Cajungal

Cajungal

Man, all the people who come to my front door either hang Chinese menus or give me notices of the water being out for the afternoon... way to have much more interesting neighbors. :D

My brother's taking me to get my fancy new uke this Friday!

Cajungal said:
And there will be pictures, right?

Knowing Bryan Singer is literally right above my head at the moment is giving me the perverse urge to put on X-Men and really blast it.

wana10

my residency appeal passed and my tuition isn't going to triple on me. :D
i am so fucking happy. i've been walking on air since i saw the letter.

lafftaff

I've had 2 job interviews this week! I don't know if I have a job yet but it's just nice to go to an interview.

The chocolate cake I made tastes awesome!! (icing it didn't go so well though, meh)

Wasabi Poptart

10 days after giving birth and I am back in my normal pants instead of still having to wear maternity clothes! :D

WildSoul said:
10 days after giving birth and I am back in my normal pants instead of still having to wear maternity clothes! :D
Hot damn, girl!

Also, I missed this, congrats Garbledina! That's great news.

Cajungal

Cajungal

ZenMonkey said:
Cajungal said:
And there will be pictures, right?

Knowing Bryan Singer is literally right above my head at the moment is giving me the perverse urge to put on X-Men and really blast it.
O yes, there will, along with more videos probably. :D

Bubble181

Bubble181

WildSoul said:
:thumbsup: I'm willing to bet there are plenty of women jealous of you right now :-P

Cajungal

Cajungal

Damn, I missed that. Good for you, Wildsoul! :) Must feel much more comfortable!

Jake

Jake

WildSoul said:
And let's keep those pants on this time so you don't get in trouble again.

Wasabi Poptart

Bubble181 said:
WildSoul said:
:thumbsup: I'm willing to bet there are plenty of women jealous of you right now :-P
...including some of my friends who told me not to be disappointed if I couldn't wear my regular clothes just yet. BAHAHAHAHA!

Jake said:
And let's keep those pants on this time so you don't get in trouble again.
Aww man. :(

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

got to see Robert Cray in concert. those were some damn fine blues

Gusto

Gusto

I have a girlfriend now. :)

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Gratz Gusto.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Hey, congrats Gusto. Now give up those links you won't be needing no more :-P

Rob King

Rob King

In Newfoundland, the 'Food Fishery' is on the go right now. It's the fishing season where people can go out and catch a maximum of 5 codfish for their own use. I have a wedding this weekend, so I'll be going to stay with some aunts and uncles for the second half of this week.

My mother mentioned to some uncles that I've been interested in getting a bit more in touch with what it means to be a Newfoundlander, so they've delayed their trip out to get their fish until I get out there.

Glee!

Laurelai

Garbledina said:
Grats!!! I've been a medic for 16-ish years and an EMT for 6 years prior to that (egads I'm getting up there)
I love my job and have loved it from my very first clinical.

Chad Sexington

Garbledina

Laurelai said:
Garbledina said:
Grats!!! I've been a medic for 16-ish years and an EMT for 6 years prior to that (egads I'm getting up there)
I love my job and have loved it from my very first clinical.
I've been really excited for it. This first course is two-weeks and extremely intense but I've enjoyed every minute of it (except for the AAAH STRESS bits). I spent my entire Saturday repeating "Deformities, contusions, abrasions, punctures/penetrations, burns, lacerations, swelling, tenderness, instability and crepitus." over and over and over (along with about three pages of other information) to pass my scenario exam this week, so that's been fun. :p

Cajungal

Cajungal

Gusto said:
:clap:

strawman

strawman

Gusto said:
Dude.

For the last time.

I AM NOT YOUR GIRLFRIEND.

Okay?

-Adam

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

stienman said:
Gusto said:
Dude.

For the last time.

I AM NOT YOUR GIRLFRIEND.

Okay?

-Adam
And I'm not a girl

Gusto

Gusto

strawman

strawman

Photoshopped in 3...2...
congrats!
-Adam

Cajungal

Cajungal

She's so pretty! :)

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Cute girl. Who is she really? Sister? Cousin?
(Joking, congratz Gusto! :clap: )

Gusto

Gusto

OH YOU GUYS :D

Cajungal said:
This!

Gusto

Gusto

ZenMonkey said:
Cajungal said:
This!
I agree 900 percent.

Philosopher B.

Sweet looking girl. 'Grats, man. :thumbsup:

Bubble181

Bubble181

I agree with the above posters.

I'd like to point out that it can't possibly be a sister or cousin, though. With THOSE genes?!

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

ZenMonkey said:
Cajungal said:
This!
That. Congrats!

figmentPez

figmentPez

My old boss called me up today to ask me to help out a few afternoons a week. It'd be nice to have a job, but my health has been a lot of ups and downs lately. I'm not sure if I can do it. WIN or setup for a FAIL? I'm not sure.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

I don't know if these are "epic," but I thought they were cool. While on my little trip into San Francisco yesterday, I had a mile walk down Third Street to get to the building with the class in it.

About two buildings before mine, I see this little plaque:

I remember reading The Call Of The Wild when I was in elementary school, so I thought this was neat.

Then the very next building over, I got this nice surprise:

I didn't realize that their office was RIGHT there.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I'm at the liquor store, getting the second round of supplies for my BBQ, as my wife has decreed that none of what I had previously had purchased was suitable for her or her friends. So in my cart I have some white wine, some gin and a case of Bud Lite Lime. While at the counter some boisterous youths of the fratboy variety, sally up behind me carrying several cases of Bud Lite Lime and begin a conversation.

Frat Boys "See man, Bud Lime is awesome, even he's got some. Hey old man, Bud Lime rocks! Am I right? Huh?"

Me "This is for my wife and her friends. I wouldn't be caught dead drinking this."

Frat Boys "...."

Cajungal

Cajungal

My brother and I are recording a couple of songs together. :D Music and an affinity for fighting games have always been what seals our sibling bond.

lafftaff

I have a job!!!!!!!!! Ya'll may now commence with the congratulations.

Chad Sexington

Garbledina

Gusto said:
At first I though that was Jenna Fischer (Pam from the Office)

Seriously.

Oh, and congrats!

Gusto

Gusto

Garbledina said:
Gusto said:
At first I though that was Jenna Fischer (Pam from the Office)

Seriously.

Oh, and congrats!

She's a HUGE Office fan, I'll have to tell her. :)

Rob King

Rob King

Cheesy1 said:
/snip cool buildings Cheesy found
Hey, I was walking around downtown here today and found some unexpected buildings myself.

Apparently my city has a South Korean consulate. I never thought it was a big enough city to have that sort of stuff. And there's a building that houses a company called "Vulcan Minerals" too. I thought that was fun. I also found a plaque on a building that marks it as the former home of the architecht that's essentially to be credited with rebuilding this city after the fire of 1892. Not a huge deal globally, but it has local significance, and it was an entirely serendipitous discovery, which I thought it was neat.

Ooh, and I also learned that Admiral Nelson apparently stopped into St. John's during his career in the British Navy, as well as Captain Banks: the captain which the Mutiny aboard the Bounty happened under. And the port wine that was used by the HMS Bellerophon to toast Napolean's surrender was purchased in this city as well.

Neat stuff.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

lafftaff said:
I have a job!!!!!!!!! Ya'll may now commence with the congratulations.
Huzzah! Took me five months to get one myself, so I can only imagine how happy you are to be past the searching stage.

Enresshou

Enresshou

So, to finish up my degree this year, I needed to take summer courses this summer. I'm normally covered under the state's funding (several grants and such that I qualified for due to stellar performance in high school and planning ahead), but the summer quarter wasn't covered. So I took the summer quarter which--after books, parking pass, and the hiked-up CSU fees--totaled over $2k. Not a ton in the grand scheme of things (especially since that's not super expensive for a quarter of college), but it was more than enough to wipe out most of my savings, which sucks because my family's on hard financial times at the moment, too.

I just got my financial aid award, and it turns out they included the summer quarter in my aid. According to the website, I was just cut a check to reimburse me for everything I spent this summer. While I'm happy, since it means I've got a buffer zone again, I'm happier because it means I can give half of it to my mom, who needs it a lot more than me.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Awesomesauce Enresshou! Cool that things ended up working out!

Cajungal

Cajungal

Early birthday present for my folks? The amount I'm losing this week. I was going to spend it on much-needed clothes for the upcoming semester of tutoring and teacher observation. :D Yaaaaay

Gared

Gared

Today is my last day working this job; and my last day working customer service / call center in general. Tomorrow at this time I should be on board my flight for Chicago to begin my vacation (the first I've had in about 5 years) and then after that it's back to college and on to getting the hell out of this city and into the country where I can run a small farm.

Here's to the last day of my current life, and the first day of the rest of my life.

Oh, and congrats to Gusto and lafftaff.

Enresshou

Enresshou

Gared said:
Today is my last day working this job; and my last day working customer service / call center in general. Tomorrow at this time I should be on board my flight for Chicago to begin my vacation (the first I've had in about 5 years) and then after that it's back to college and on to getting the hell out of this city and into the country where I can run a small farm.

Here's to the last day of my current life, and the first day of the rest of my life.

Oh, and congrats to Gusto and lafftaff.
Congratulations, man. I think I remember you mentioning this before...the job where they refused to hire anybody new, but you couldn't get vacation due to something involving the boss' son?

If not, regardless; congrats, man. I can't wait til around this time next year when I can quit my job and become a professional student. Good on you, and check out Fastweb for scholarship/grant info; same with filling out the FAFSA and seeing if there's any aid you qualify for.

Tonight. 8 [sub:3a7qglu8]PM[/sub:3a7qglu8]. GREEN DAY!

Bubble181

Bubble181

Congrats on the jobs and cool concerts :)

As for me, eh, it's definitely not epic, and all that, but I spent hours talking to a nice girl a couple of days ago, I actually got up the courage to ask her out (even though she declined), and I spent a great day at the beach with another very nice young lady. Nothing happened with her, either, so, you know, but anyway, I'm finally working up the courage to actually try to do something like that, so that's a plus.

Enresshou

Enresshou

I just picked up a sorely needed external hard drive. I transfer stuff between home and the lab all the time, and my old 128MB flash drive--in addition to often being inadequate--finally bit the big one when an internal plastic component snapped, meaning that I spent about ten minutes with tape and jury-rigging to get it to plug into a computer to rescue my data.

So, I went to Best Buy and picked up a 1 TB external hard drive. Extrapolating from the box, I now have enough storage space for 440 hours of DVD-quality porn!

Biardo

Edrondol said:
Tonight. 8 [sub:3rm73wax]PM[/sub:3rm73wax]. GREEN DAY!
met me know how it was!
I'll be seeing them in october

Biardo said:
Edrondol said:
Tonight. 8 [sub:3mab4z0w]PM[/sub:3mab4z0w]. GREEN DAY!
met me know how it was!
I'll be seeing them in october
Oh my fucking GOD! This was the best concert I'd ever seen. Billy gets the crowd involved and doesn't stop until it's over.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20090814/E ... /708149907

Before he played a single note, Green Day frontman Billie Joe Armstrong was in control of the Qwest Center Omaha.

“Get off your ass right now!” Armstrong shouted at the crowd. “This is not (expletive) television right now. This is live. This is in the moment. This is right (expletive) now. Are you with me? Are you ready?”

Armstrong preached a sort of rock 'n' roll revival, leading chants and calling the crowd to be saved.

Shouts to “get those hands in the air” brought about a sea of waving arms, and calls of “Omaha” elicited screams.
Advertising

The band started the show with a barrage of songs off its new album, “21st Century Breakdown,” also working in a few hits like “Holiday,” “Boulevard of Broken Dreams” and “Hitchin' a Ride.”

Armstrong went on a little rant while the rest of his band started into “The Static Age,” a song about media and technology.

“Put away the cell phones. No cameras. This is our time right now. No television, no computers, no school, no work.”

Their songs may have taken on a more political and socially aware tone over the last few years, but drummer Tré Cool, bassist Mike Dirnt and Armstrong didn't take themselves too seriously.

For “King for a Day,” the whole band donned goofy hats. Among them: a pirate hat, a witch's hat, cat ears and a policeman's cap. Later, Armstrong brought out a water gun and squirted the crowd. He also used a leaf blower to spray toilet paper into the crowd and an air-powered T-shirt gun that he used to fire shirts across the arena.

Every so often, the group launched into cover tunes. They played the intros to “Iron Man” by Black Sabbath and “Rock You Like a Hurricane” by the Scorpions and a full verse of “You Really Got Me” by the Kinks. They also did a full version of “Shout” by the Isley Brothers and worked in parts of “Earth Angel,” “Break on Through (To the Other Side)” and “Free Fallin'.”

Fans at the show seemed a dedicated bunch. No one headed early to their cars to beat traffic, and fans screamed out the words to nearly every song.

To be certain, their dedication was rewarded. Armstrong brought several people onstage to sing songs, spray the squirt gun and goof around. During “Longview,” a man, a woman and a young boy all took a verse of the song, while Armstrong ran around the stage and played guitar.

The crowd was a mix of young and old. Some apparently longtime fans showed up, as well as a lot of young children and teenagers, accompanied by parents.

While the show included nearly every song from “21st Century Breakdown,” the band still played all of its old hits, including “Welcome to Paradise,” “When I Come Around” and “Longview.”

A set-closing encore featured the hits “American Idiot” and “Minority.” To finish the night, Armstrong strutted onstage alone with an acoustic guitar to perform “Last Night on Earth” and “Good Riddance (Time of Your Life).” The last song brought a huge response from fans, who sang every word.

The crowd went wild whenever Armstrong yelled “Omaha” or “Nebraska” or “Cornhuskers,” which came about every other sentence. He also worked the local geography into several songs, subbing “Nebraska” or “Omaha” for other lyrics.

Armstrong also reminisced about passing through Omaha during the band's early days, on a tour to support its 1994 album, “Dookie.”

“We played at this bowling alley. Was that the Ranch Bowl?” he said to cheers, recalling the former bowling alley and rock club on South 72nd Street.

“Where else can you play at a kick-ass rock club and work on your spare in the meantime?”

Biardo

okay good, I was still trying to decide whether to go or sell my ticket (my brother just ordered a bunch of them and one was for me) I'm not really a green day fan but I did liked their early stuff

but if it was that good then I'm going

Thanks for making my mind up for me Ed. I have no free will and I'll do annything you tell me :retard:

Biardo said:
I have no free will and I'll do annything you tell me :retard:
Give money to the poor. Enjoy life. Make a difference.

Greendog

I've been watching what I eat and drink over the past two weeks and have cut out the beers, regular pizzas etc. It's been tough, but I've somehow managed to lose 11 pounds!

I'm slightly suspicious of my bathroom scales, but I'll take any good news when possible.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

11 pounds in 2 weeks? Yeah, you have a right to be suspicious of your scales. Don't get fooled by a faulty scale like I was! Unless you've been doing some serious exercise along with the dietary changes, you didn't lose that much that fast.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Edrondol said:
Biardo said:

Wear sunscreen.

Greendog

AshburnerX said:
11 pounds in 2 weeks? Yeah, you have a right to be suspicious of your scales. Don't get fooled by a faulty scale like I was! Unless you've been doing some serious exercise along with the dietary changes, you didn't lose that much that fast.
Either that or this is an indication of how much beer and pizza I've been consuming of late.

Nothing major in the way of exercise to be fair, not until this gym I've signed up to opens in a month or so. Just cycling and sit-ups in the meantime.

Either way, I've lost some weight and my bid to look presentable for the beaches in Adelaide come Christmas is still on track! :Leyla:

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I dunno about sit ups, but cycling is supposed to be pretty awesome for weight loss, I hear, especially if it's a few miles a day.

@Li3n

@Li3n

CynicismKills said:
I dunno about sit ups, but cycling is supposed to be pretty awesome for weight loss, I hear, especially if it's a few miles a day.
then why ain't i thinner?! (ok, prob because i eat too much... )

Wasabi Poptart

Bubble181 said:
Edrondol said:
Biardo said:

Wear sunscreen.
Be kind to your knees. You'll miss them when they're gone.

Bubble181

Bubble181

WildSoul said:
Bubble181 said:
Edrondol said:
Biardo said:

Wear sunscreen.

Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you
succeed in doing this, tell me how.

Also: yay for someone getting the reference :)

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Bubble181 said:
WildSoul said:
Bubble181 said:
Edrondol said:

Wear sunscreen.

I used to love falling asleep to this song.

Enresshou

Enresshou

Just got my (awesome) girlfriend into metal, and she likes In Flames. After a six-month concert dry spell (last band I saw was Soilwork back in March), I find out that Dragonforce and In Flames are playing back-to-back next month nearby.

God DAMN I can't wait for those shows!

Chad Sexington

Garbledina

I PASSED!

I FUCKING PASSED!

86% on the written, and passed both practicals (no score, just pass or kill your 'patient'). Now to get certified by the province and start my EMT course.

I am (nearly)officially a medic!

Credit where it is due: I owe a great deal to my instructor, without whom I would have failed miserably on the practical. (And by the way, even though there was no scoring on the practical, I did it nearly flawlessly. There's a 'perfect' rating and I got it. So that's how helpful she was, as earlier on in the course, my patients were all critical quite rapidly.)

Wasabi Poptart

Garbledina said:
I PASSED!

I FUCKING PASSED!
WOOHOO! :clap:

Bubble181

Bubble181

Congrats :)

Cajungal

Cajungal

:clap: Congratulations! :D

Cajungal

Cajungal

I just had one of those insane moments of clarity. In about 1 year and a few months, I'll be a teacher. :bush: I just ordered a textbook for my "Teaching Social Studies" class and my heart started to pound. I cannot wait to get out there. Children are curious, beautiful, and often a bit evil. I cannot WAIT to devote my life to them!

NCSoft continues to display its crush on me. :D

Gusto

Gusto

ZenMonkey said:
NCSoft continues to display its crush on me. :D
WHAT HAPPENED ROOGIRL

Ha ha, good memory.

I'm afraid I've agreed not to disclose, which means you can easily figure it out.

Gusto

Gusto

I HAVE ONLY THE SLIGHTEST OF IDEAS

ALSO

EPIC WIN:

I HAVE REDISCOVERED MY LOVE OF CAPSLOCK

Rob King

Rob King

In my frying pan right now is a fillet of codfish. I think this might be the first time that I brought a meal straight from the earth to my plate by myself.

I wrestled some codfish from the sea on Thursday. Gutted it in the boat myself. Cleaned and filleted it on my uncle's patio that afternoon. Froze it for the trip back home, and now I am about to eat it.

Goddamn, I feel like a man. Pictures to follow (possibly in the new pic thread).

Cajungal

Cajungal

Gusto said:
I HAVE ONLY THE SLIGHTEST OF IDEAS

ALSO

EPIC WIN:

I HAVE REDISCOVERED MY LOVE OF CAPSLOCK
OMFG!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Rob King said:
In my frying pan right now is a fillet of codfish. I think this might be the first time that I brought a meal straight from the earth to my plate by myself
Why are you burying fish?

Rob King

Rob King

Frankie said:
Rob King said:
In my frying pan right now is a fillet of codfish. I think this might be the first time that I brought a meal straight from the earth to my plate by myself
Pardon? Is that a typo? I can't figure out what you mean if it isn't. But then, I've been known to be dense sometimes.

Rob King

Rob King

CynicismKills said:
Bubble181 said:
WildSoul said:
Bubble181 said:
Wear sunscreen.

I used to love falling asleep to this song.
I missed this at first, but I got it at "Be kind to your knees."

And now I've realized that I haven't heard this in a long time. I will be putting it on as soon as I go home.

strawman

strawman

Rob King said:
Frankie said:
[quote="Rob King":386s5q0t]In my frying pan right now is a fillet of codfish. I think this might be the first time that I brought a meal straight from the earth to my plate by myself
Pardon? Is that a typo? I can't figure out what you mean if it isn't. But then, I've been known to be dense sometimes.[/quote:386s5q0t]

Taking a more literal meaning of earth (since it's not capitalized and all...).

Speaking of fish, I took some frozen perch, made the bread crumbs, mixed with Parmesan cheese (about 1/2 breadcrumbs, 1/2 Parmesan), a bit of garlic and lawry's seasoned salt, poured it on the baking sheet, added the fish, then poured it over the fish before baking.

IT WAS SOOOO GOOD.

Even the kids liked it. My wife isn't a big fan of fish, so we don't eat it often, but she is sick so I got to do dinner.

Also, pop-open crescent roll dough is awesome if you stuff a few raspberries inside before rolling it up - they self seal and everything. Nothing beats going out to the yard, grabbing a few very ripe berries off the vine, and cooking them into a snack in under 20 minutes.

OM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM.

Food is always an epic win.

-Adam

She's sick so you made something she wouldn't like? :eek:rly:

strawman

strawman

Edrondol said:
She's sick so you made something she wouldn't like? :eek:rly:

The kicker is that she would have liked the fish cooked this way, but she wasn't interested in eating anything at all. Also, I should have said she doesn't prefer fish. She doesn't hate it, but given the choice between fish and chicken/beef/pork she wouldn't choose the fish very frequently.

-Adam

Rob King

Rob King

stienman said:
Taking a more literal meaning of earth (since it's not capitalized and all...).
Oh. Huh, I didn't even think to capitalize it, and I normally capitalize words that shouldn't be.

In other news, I've been trying to mend things with a friend. I took the first step, by sending her an email expressing my desire to fix things, and she responded positively with a single line of text. That's happened before: sending her a long and involved email, and getting two or three lines of response. I tried again, asking her about what's been up, and telling her a bit about what I've been at, and I just got a huge and involved response. She even joked about condoms, which is good: she's a prude when she's uncomfortable, so I can be reasonably certain that she's genuinely wanting to make things better.

This makes me happy. She's a cool girl, and it sucks that we've gone a year not talking because of stupid social-circle-drama.

I also saw District 9 with a friend that I've been lucky enough to find myself working with. I've known him for years. He grew up in a town just an hour outside of my own, and dated a girl who went to my church. He was always a few years older, but now we're both old enough that age differences don't mean as much, and we work at the same place. It's great to be able to hang out with him and just do whatever.

And after typing that paragraph, I realize how homosocial I'm becoming. It's not a problem. It's actually something I'm trying to do. But it sure must look funny to people who are outside my head.

And District 9 was great, too. I wasn't sure about the documentary/narrative mashup, but it worked very well. It irked me to hear people talking behind me (before the movie) about how the guy who directed this was the same guy who did the Lord of the Rings movies. I've been excited about Neil Blomkamp ever since I heard he was going to be director for the Halo movie. That's not what excited me, of course. When I realized it was a name I had never even heard a whisper of before, I spent a day looking up all of his previous projects online (all short films and ads). At the end of the day I was excited to see what he would do with a budget and two hours. I was disappointed when Halo was put on hold, but put out of my mind with glee when I heard that he was doing District 9, which I would describe as an adaptation from his short film.

God. Listen to me. I'm not a big film guy. I feel like I'm stomping on Charlie and Kissenger's turf. I'll stop now guys, you don't have to break my legs!

Anubinomicon

bought a grill monday, grilled for the first time yesterday, my wife has decreed that we will be grilling every night for the rest of the summer.

Mr_Chaz

Finally got a job! Woop Woop!

It's a pity I have to cross post this to rant as well :(

strawman

strawman

Stayed up way too late last night, but I got a new color LCD working on a project my son wants me to do.

Also, NAP FTW! Wish I could sleep for longer, but man does a 20 minute nap feel good...

-Adam

Fun Size

Fun Size

Giant TV for the bedroom gets set up tonight. Check.
Two discs of Angel being delivered today. Check.
Babysitter arranged at the last minute so I can go see Plan 9 From Outer Space with RiffTrax Live at the local theater tomorrow night. Oh Hell yes.

jaythen

Part of my get out and do something summer plan was to do something that I had never done before.

I investigated and researched and prepared (or what I thought was enough) to attempt a challenging prospect to me.
I haven't been hiking in years and wanted to go again. I tried to gather some friends to go, but they either were at work or had other plans.
So I chose one of my states more notable local landmarks: Mt Washington.

http://www.mountwashington.org/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Washington_(New_Hampshire)
http://www.timefortuckerman.com/

Tuckerman's Ravine is the route I took; the overall length was 4.2 miles (6.8km) from base to top of the mountain.
I thought it was one of the easier routes, but no. Steep climb and lots of rocks to climb up.

In the background is the headwall you must navigate to get to the top. The trails winds up along the side. Not a straight climb up.

Part way up with another part of the mountain called Lions Head on the right.

PArt of the headwall climb. Yes, that white dot is a person ahead of me.

A shot from further up the headwall looking down on the valley.

Looking up at the summit on the last stretch to go.

Finally at the top! Only took 4 1/2 hours. Mountain steepness kicked my ass. I thought I was in better shape.

Part of the mountains claim to fame: 231 miles per hour wind. I hit the mountain on a good day.

Legs ached and was completely drained afterward. I want to go again someday.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

that there is pretty damn epic.

Holy crap, well done!

Rob King

Rob King

Good job! I love hiking and stuff like that, but I never get to do enough of it!

Kudos on you for setting out to do something new, too. I'm realizing more and more that that isn't something that everybody does :(

Jake

Jake

Just found out that instead of having terminal intestinal cancer at 33 years old, my friend is actually cancer free now. So that's pretty cool.

Jake said:
Just found out that instead of having terminal intestinal cancer at 33 years old, my friend is actually cancer free now. So that's pretty cool.

Jake, I'm very happy for your friend and everyone around him (or her). Raise a glass in their honor for me, will ya?

Mr_Chaz

Jake said:
Hell fecking yeah! Glad it worked out for them :D Hope they got through the treatment ok!

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Jake said:
As a cancer survivor myself, that is definitely an epic win! Congratz to your friend Jake, and treasure the fact that you'll be able to enjoy his company for many years to come! :falldown:

Iaculus

My sister should never enter a casino for the rest of her natural life. Allow me to explain:

She recently took her A-levels to get into university - specifically, Manchester's Architecture course. This is a course that normally requires three A-grades (the highest you can get in the exams - none of that A+ or B- fiddliness) to get in. The offer she was given was AAB - that is, two A-graded subjects required, plus a B-grade, for those of you unfamiliar with the system. As the year progressed, it became increasingly unlikely to both her and us that she would achieve this, particularly since this was her second go at the exams.

Today was the day the results came out.

At 8:45 this morening, the head of our year phoned our house to inform us that she had received inadequate grades to be able to accept any of the conditional offers she had received from her selected universities (a conditional offer essentially reading as 'we'll let you in if you get these grades'), and that it would be best if we arrived early to discuss this. He also advised us to check the UCAS site to review the details of said offers. When we did so, we discovered that the Manchester offer had been changed at the last moment from 'conditional' to 'unconditional', meaning that they wanted her regardless of what grades she got - which turned out to be an ACC when we later went in to receive them.

In summary, my sister just got into a university course that typically demands three As with an A-grade and two Cs. The only reasonable conclusion: divine intervention.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Jake and Iaculus: awesome :thumbsup:

Jake

Jake

Iaculus said:
The only reasonable conclusion:
She's hot? I bet she's hot.

Iaculus

Jake said:
Iaculus said:
The only reasonable conclusion:
She's hot? I bet she's hot.
I'm afraid the family genes never inclined far in that direction for any of us. Her and my female friends, on the other hand, are all worryingly hyperintelligent and keep getting scouted for modelling contracts. I wish I was making this up.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

So, for the last few months, my boss has been totally micromanaging me.

The the point that he's coming into my office and making me change internal program variable names.

So, I'm spinning my wheels a lot of time going through code and changing things like intNumPages to intTotalPages. Stuff that takes useless time to do for absolutely no known utility or business justification, and introduces the chance of breaking existing code, so we have to regression test everything.

He just gave me an 'aggressive' timeline to finish some code work in 2 weeks that me an another programmer conservatively estimate is 260 man-hours of work.

he's kind of tech-retarded that way. The other day, he floated the idea that we should put every single database table or ran application into one giant table...to completely denormalize a database of 30 or so tables into one giant table. I don't know where he worked at before here, but I'm thinking it might have been IT management or something, because he doesn't know the basic fundamentals of programming, such as the fact that database normalization has been a standard for over 30 years, and that you denormalize only in extreme cases or you lose a great deal of the efficiencies and advantages of a modern relational database.

So, why is this in the epic win thread and not the rant thread? Remember that conversation Mav started a while back about looking for a job? And I said I opened up my resume on Monster and was immediately getting nibbles? Well, I was just waiting for the right offer to come along.

I just accepted a job offer that pays a fair amount better than my current job, pays full benefits, offers flex-time, flexible vacation times, work-at-home VPN possibilities, and has a fairly 'hands-off' approach between managers and the developers. Basically, the managers say "I want the app to do this on the back-end database", and leave it up to us to implement it however we feel is best.

So, three cheers for me :)

Jake said:
Wow, that is fantastic news. What a turnaround.

Lally

I was posting in the Rant thread about how bummed I was that my weight loss was going slowly, and how it's been an up and down struggle, and The Poftoffel Formerly Known as Lurker and AshburnerX made me feel a lot better (and Shego tried :) even though I'm totally not hypothyroid-ed), and so I decided to make myself feel better I would post some before and after pictures (I'm still way too insecure to post anything resembling a head-to-toe but I think these are pretty "epic win").

Before (circa summer 2006):

After (circa a few months ago):

Bubble181

Bubble181

Congrats Tin, and Lally, like I said, you look great :)

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Lally said:
After (circa a few months ago):

Rawr, you're totally a cutie. I would be buying you drinks all night if I ever found ya sitting nearby. :unibrow:

Bubble181

Bubble181

And I'd be trying to, but you probably wouldn't let me, because other, more interesting people were offering you drinks too. Pfft. Bitch. Hot girls are all the same :humph: :slywink:

MisterSteve

MisterSteve

Batdan

In the same category as Tin Whistler's post, I'm trying to find a new job too. My sister informed me of a position in her workplace that opened this week and I'm finishing my resume, cover letter, and application today. If I get this job, it means I'll have to move 4 hours away, but I'll be making 2/3 more than I do right now plus health and dental insurance (yay!). Also, the gf says she'll go with me if I get the job (even better!). I'm so excited and I hope this all goes through. Keep your fingers crossed!

Dave

Dave

Gorram it! I hated to have to make this jump as soon as I did, but it was either do it on a slow Sunday night or risk losing a lot more next week.

I'm SORRY!!

Dave

Dave

Gorram it! I hated to have to make this jump as soon as I did, but it was either do it on a slow Sunday night or risk losing a lot more next week.

I'm SORRY!!

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

And a double post to cap it off. Well done Dave.

Cajungal

Cajungal

:( Hey, my old post is gone.

Terrik

Terrik

My dad unexpectedly decided to come over here and visit me in China. We've been enjoying Tianjin for several days and I'll take him up to see the forbidden city and great wall in Beijing on Wednesday and Thursday. Good times!

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

Starting the third full week of school. I have a great and peaceful feeling about this year!

Gusto

Gusto

:( Hey, my old post is gone.
Mine too.

REPOST:

I lost my virginity. :thumbsup:

ZenMonkey

ZenMonkey

Far

Far

After looking for a new place to live since February I'll be going tomorrow to drop of the security deposit on a basement suite. Though here there aren't really basement suites as the rock is too hard to cut into. What people refer to as basement suites are usually just ground floor.

It'll be the first time I've ever lived without my parents and I couldn't be more excited. While I realize the difficulties and problems that will arise I'm just happy to be out of the place I'm in now.

Mine too.

REPOST:

Rob King

Rob King

I'm always afraid I take too long on my breaks, so today I used my cellphone timer to make sure I don't take too long.

I swear to god, this is the longest break I've ever taken. Fifteen minutes is forever if you're not worrying about being too late.

Gusto

Gusto

Interestingly enough, we started out our evening by watching The Big Lebowski and drinking White Russians.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Dude!

Far

Far

Even odder is that I had a night just a few weeks back where my girlfriend and I watched The Big Lebowski, sans White Russians unfortunately, that ended the same way.

Lots of banging going on on the old halforums lately it seems, to use the parlance of our times.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Interestingly enough, we started out our evening by watching The Big Lebowski and drinking White Russians.
NICE.

My geology teacher is an extremely mellow GA. This lab is going to be easy.

Also, I get to eat Indian food this weekend... and I'm gonna have pictures soon. Must show off my bday presents! ^_^ I've been wearing the same 7 shirts all summer... it's nice to wear clothes that aren't ragged.

Jake

Jake

My two-year-old daughter has started asking "Daddy, watch Docka Who, please?"

Not the most appropriate show for a toddler (it can be a little intense), but who am I to question her taste? Also, the way she pronounces "who" as "hyuuuuu" is cute enough for her to get whatever she wants.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Awwww. :)

Gusto

Gusto

I'm meeting some of my girlfriend's friends tonight. I'm a little nervous but I usually make a pretty excellent first impression. Plus I'm told I'm being presented as some sort of trophy boyfriend so that's cool.

Jake

Jake

I'm meeting some of my girlfriend's friends tonight. I'm a little nervous but I usually make a pretty excellent first impression. Plus I'm told I'm being presented as some sort of trophy boyfriend so that's cool.
I suggest breaking the ice with "Did you know we fucked? We totally fucked!" while thrusting behind her and making ass-slapping and lasso motions.

Gusto

Gusto

"I hit dat."

strawman

strawman

I suggest breaking the ice with "Did you know we fucked? We totally fucked!" while thrusting behind her and making ass-slapping and lasso motions.
Immediately after introductions you should ask your girlfriend, while motioning to her girlfriends, "When can I tap that?"

-Adam

General Specific

General Specific

Walk up to them with this expression:

Then say, "The hammer is my penis."

They will either love you forever or be thoroughly confused. Either way, mission accomplished!

Just Me

Just Me

My gf became unemployed.

teh win: now that job safety is no longer a concern she's looking for new jobs in my area and after almost 8 years of long distance relationship (250 km) we'll finally share a flat for more then the weekends.

ZenMonkey

ZenMonkey

Without my even mentioning I wanted it, the husband came home with this for me tonight:

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I can only dream of finding somebody who'd know me so well. *sigh* Still, gratz Zen!

Bubble181

Bubble181

Nice Zen :)

Awesome Just me!

An d Gusto: first question after introduction obviously has to be "now, which one was it you wanted in the threesome tonight?".

callistarya

My birthday party is tonight! woooo.

Bones

Bones

I ate 1 lb of green chilli and then proceeded to rip ass so hard I made my boss run for his office during a meeting.

Chad Sexington

Garbledina

Without my even mentioning I wanted it, the husband came home with this for me tonight:

I didn't even know that was out! TO THE MALL --AWAY!

Wasabi Poptart

I was going to show this to my husband and mention it would be a good present for my birthday (which is this Tuesday, btw, so you all better buy me something nice!). I'm getting a necklace and lap desk instead.

ZenMonkey

ZenMonkey

I've been trying and trying to find a good lapdesk, but nothing's been better than this ugly slab of foamcore, unfortunately.

Finished off "Curious Village" last night so I could start the new one. It's neat that #2 has a code to unlock a section of #1, and that #3 will have one for #2, etc.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Assuming 3 ever gets released. They are up to something like 5 in Japan.

ZenMonkey

ZenMonkey

Assuming 3 ever gets released. They are up to something like 5 in Japan.
The manual for #2 does reference a sequel, for whatever that's worth.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

According to Wikipedia, they are up to game 4. Game 5 has been announced. As for the manual referencing the sequel... it took them a year and half to translate the second game. It kept getting delayed so we never really had any idea if the next game was even coming out.

Personally though, I want to hear that SOMEBODY is going to translate the movie when it comes out. There currently aren't any plans, but I really fucking want to see it.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

One week away from Dragoncon, my birthday and a whole lot of (hopefully) good, drunk times. I can't wait!

ZenMonkey

ZenMonkey

Did my first clan dungeon run in Kingdom of Loathing and it was the most difficult kind, but we succeeded and *I* did not ruin it despite the odds being stacked against me. (Seriously, I was kinda underpowered and it's not like a 10-man where you can just carry one sucky player.)

On the downside it took five hours and pushed me into a really good crash, but on the upside it was fun.

Far

Far

I played left 4 dead on one of our screens at the movie theatre I work at last night.:D

Denbrought

Denbrought

I played left 4 dead on one of our screens at the movie theatre I work at last night.:D
:drool:

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Yeah, that's pretty awesome. I've always wanted to play Shadow of the Colossus on one of those, with the epic music blasting out of the speakers.

Chad Sexington

Garbledina

Last shift at the private club I work at was today. Free at last.

For seven months I have worked with this insufferable asshole who is forty, living in his mother's basement, staring at any female members under 50. Making sexual and sexist remarks all shift, going on about how all women embody Freud's Hysterics of Women or whatever the fuck it's called -having never read it, I only have his word to go on, it is ridiculously shit.

I complained over and over, only to be ignored, no one ever spoke to him. Finally, after securing a new part-time job, I was able to submit my two weeks'. And today was my last day.

I told my obnoxious and now former acquaintance to go fuck himself as I left. The look on his face was wonderful.

Aaaaaaah.

ZenMonkey

ZenMonkey

I told my obnoxious and now former acquaintance to go fuck himself as I left. The look on his face was wonderful.

More husband win: brought me home a couple of great cross-stitch kits. I'm loving getting back into it (and I have a lot more patience for it now than I did in high school), and I finally have something to do while listening to podcasts. I'm already planning some designs of my own, for way down the line.

Denbrought

Denbrought

More husband win: brought me home a couple of great cross-stitch kits. I'm loving getting back into it (and I have a lot more patience for it now than I did in high school), and I finally have something to do while listening to podcasts. I'm already planning some designs of my own, for way down the line.
Sweaters for the kittehs are inbound?

Jake

Jake

I can see him passing through the game isle when "Diabolical Box" catches his eye. "Hey, that reminds me of a special someone..."

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

The flu is spreading like Heidi Montag's knees around here and my two year old niece has had a really high fever. Since the boyfriend isn't working yet, my sister had to drop my nephew at my apartment so she could make sure he wouldn't be exposed to any other sick kids at the doctor's office. This was totally unexpected and a complete emergency, and she felt bad about it. She never likes to "dump" her kids on anyone...

I just got a text from the boyfriend of my nephew at McDonald's with a cheeseburger patty hanging out of his mouth... looks like they are having fun together!

Seriously, what guy in his right mind would take a three year old, who is not related to him, and keep him wonderfully occupied for a few hours? And actually have fun?

I know if the shoe was on my foot, I wouldn't be as cheerful. I think I'm quite a lucky gal :D

ZenMonkey

ZenMonkey

I can guarantee right now this will never happen.

Wahad

Wahad

I can guarantee right now this will never happen.
:thumbsup:

ZenMonkey

ZenMonkey

Yeah, not into non-essential clothing on animals. (Sweaters on dogs out in the cold is something else, or the occasional bandana might be okay.) Thinking more along the lines of stitching a murloc design on a throw pillow.

Cajungal

Cajungal

My brother's friend Andrew is a composer with really nice recording and production stuff at his house. So he and I are going to go there and made a demo. THEN we're going to perform together. AND I just met someone on campus who performs house shows with a group of people (who happens to know my brother also) and he wants us to come play sometime.

What a nice afternoon. I talked music with my new pal, and very soon I get to go record some stuff with my lil bro. ^_^ Yay me, and yay Leon!

Denbrought

Denbrought

I can guarantee right now this will never happen.[/QUOTE]
But I'm sure they'd love them :twisted:

You should do a pillow with the :Leyla:

ZenMonkey

ZenMonkey

You should do a pillow with the :Leyla:
I have a number of projects ahead of me but by the time I finish them, if this place hasn't imploded or been shut down by the authorities, that was definitely on my mind as a project.

Got some good win for my blog today. It was mentioned on another that I'm a big fan of, Skepchick (http://skepchick.org/blog/, in "Quickies" for Sept. 1), and I've been invited to be on the Skeptically Speaking podcast in October to talk about chronic illness and skepticism.

I'm kinda excited right now. :)

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Nice Zen. Let us know when it's up.

ZenMonkey

ZenMonkey

Thanks, I will.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Awesome, Zen! :D

Gusto

Gusto

Excellent!

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

DragonCon in a few days!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Look for me if you go, Chris is the name and I'd be happy to shake a Halforumite's hand.

Also, awesome Zen! :D

ZenMonkey

ZenMonkey

Aw, thanks, you guys! The blog got a really nice boost in hits today, with a concurrent swelling of my head of course. They should both go back to normal shortly.

You know, I wasn't jealous of Blizzcon because I've been, or Comic-Con because of the logistics, but DragonCon sounds like lots of fun and there are all these people going or presenting who I'd love to meet.

Bubble181

Bubble181

First off, excellent Zen :)

Secondly, I really had to go back and reread that bit up there. I completely misread and somewhere got worried about stitched sweater puppies, and I was all like :Leyla::aaahhh::bush:. Me be slightly slow sometimes.

Espy

Espy

Just got done with my first day teaching. It went really great! However, it's only a 50 minutes class and I think I need to make my lectures a LOT shorter.

ZenMonkey

ZenMonkey

Just got done with my first day teaching. It went really great! However, it's only a 50 minutes class and I think I need to make my lectures a LOT shorter.
Congrats! Yeah, 50 minutes is a challenging amount of time to get anything meaningful done, but you'll quickly figure out how to adjust. Is it only a lecture class or is there student discussion in groups and so forth?

Espy

Espy

Congrats! Yeah, 50 minutes is a challenging amount of time to get anything meaningful done, but you'll quickly figure out how to adjust. Is it only a lecture class or is there student discussion in groups and so forth?[/QUOTE]

Whateva I want. Mainly lecture, I'm going to try and fit in some group stuff.

ZenMonkey

ZenMonkey

Whateva I want. Mainly lecture, I'm going to try and fit in some group stuff.
You might do some reading up on how to pace a lesson plan that includes more than just lecture. You'll probably figure out your own style but I found it really useful to learn some principles and then adapt them to my classroom.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Almost missed that.... kudos, espy. Be sure to show us any funny student evaluations/online profiles!

Rob King

Rob King

Congrats! Yeah, 50 minutes is a challenging amount of time to get anything meaningful done, but you'll quickly figure out how to adjust. Is it only a lecture class or is there student discussion in groups and so forth?[/QUOTE]

Whateva I want. Mainly lecture, I'm going to try and fit in some group stuff.[/QUOTE]

Glad to hear it went well! Everyone around me seems to be going back to school in some capacity or another. It makes me feel like I want to go back soon.

I need get a plan in order.

Wasabi Poptart

My daughter slept for a straight 5.25 hours last night. WOOHOO!

SeraRelm

Ten days until we leave to piss of most major religious institutions in this country.

Jake

Jake

Ten days until we leave to piss of most major religious institutions in this country.
Is this your ship?

Rob King

Rob King

Is this your ship?

[/QUOTE]

I think I just fell in love with you.

Dave

Dave

What state are ya getting hitched in?

Gusto

Gusto

Spent a lovely afternoon with the girlfriend. :)

Rob King

Rob King

What state are ya getting hitched in?[/QUOTE]

The state of matrimony.

Gusto

Gusto

What state are ya getting hitched in?[/QUOTE]

They were thinking solid, but still haven't completely decided. :uhhuh:

Cajungal

Cajungal

Also, glad things are goin' well with the lady.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Yup yup. If I remember, I'll do a lesbian-porn-only day in your honour. Or something. :confused:

Cajungal

Cajungal

Hey guys, is that a new video I see in the Artists Corner?....

:whistling:

ZenMonkey

ZenMonkey

Inglourious Basterds.

:aaahhh:

Bubble181

Bubble181

Hey guys, is that a new video I see in the Artists Corner?....

I dunno, I'm too blinded by awesome to see clearly over there.

Ross

Ross

I've been in Raleigh for 3 weeks now, and it's awesome.

Met a girl yesterday, and now we have a tennis and movie "date" tomorrow night.

Oh, and the movie? Inglorious Basterds. Can't wait!

Enresshou

Enresshou

I've been in Raleigh for 3 weeks now, and it's awesome.

Met a girl yesterday, and now we have a tennis and movie "date" tomorrow night.

Oh, and the movie? Inglorious Basterds. Can't wait!
Nice, man, on both accounts :) How is it there? I'm going to be applying to Duke this fall, so I might coming to visit early next year/living there as well late next year. How are the thunderstorms?

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Dethalbum II on 9/29. GLEE.

Cajungal

Cajungal

CK, I'd say your avatar and sig make an epic win.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

CK, I'd say your avatar and sig make an epic win.
The Skwisgard gif is just in celebration, but it is one of my favorite gifs.

Also that's the happy dance I did when I found out about the album.

Ross

Ross

Nice, man, on both accounts :) How is it there? I'm going to be applying to Duke this fall, so I might coming to visit early next year/living there as well late next year. How are the thunderstorms?
I love Raleigh. Being a snow hater, moving here from Upstate NY is a big difference. The heat is great, and I look forward to the warm winter.

The thunderstorms have been great. Granted, late summer isn't the best time for NC storms (May+June are much, MUCH better). I can't wait to see Raleigh's big guns, with lightning and severe weather all up in this bitch.

Rob King

Rob King

The thunderstorms have been great. Granted, late summer isn't the best time for NC storms (May+June are much, MUCH better). I can't wait to see Raleigh's big guns, with lightning and severe weather all up in this bitch.
Lemme tell you. I spent 2 months one summer in North Carolina, and we had a few thunderstorms ... I have never witnessed such powerful weather in my life. I mean, like moving. On an almost emotional level. We've had hurricanes and whatnot, but it's all wind and rain. I have never seen such beautiful lighting, or such loud thunder.

Makes me feel like a pansy, considering how weak ours is up here in comparison, and remembering that I used to be afraid of it as a kid.

Enresshou

Enresshou

Lemme tell you. I spent 2 months one summer in North Carolina, and we had a few thunderstorms ... I have never witnessed such powerful weather in my life. I mean, like moving. On an almost emotional level. We've had hurricanes and whatnot, but it's all wind and rain. I have never seen such beautiful lighting, or such loud thunder.

Makes me feel like a pansy, considering how weak ours is up here in comparison, and remembering that I used to be afraid of it as a kid.[/QUOTE]

Yeah; we had some Kentucky thunderstorms while I went to visit family there a couple years ago...almost holy watching it. I actually fell asleep listening to the thunder and rain, and--thanks to the dream I had--I now associate thunderstorms with huge wings; a flash of silver as the wings are raised, and thunder as they fall.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I too enjoy the thunder and the rain. I'm not sure why... but unless it's storming so bad that I can feel the house move, it just seems to relax me.

Ross

Ross

Thunderstorms and lightning are one of my favorite things in the world. I'll drop just about anything when a storm's coming and run out the door with my camera and camcorder in hand.

Sadly, I haven't gotten good footage since moving here... so here's some from Albany:

http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/mm105/nysevereweather/2009/

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

When it's storming and the power's out, it's good to snuggle under the covers! ;)

Got a three day weekend ahead! Not sure what I'm going to do, but relaxing is on it's way to me!

Lally

I am joining the pro rain & storms crowd. I LOVE watching storms. One thing I'm going to miss about my apartment after I move is getting to sit on a covered balcony 8 floors up and watch the rain fall. :(

BUT, in my own epic win: I have a job! It's not in my field, it's not even a "real" job (it's retail -- but it's one of my favorite places) but it's money, and it's something I'm excited about doing, and I have health insurance! [gasp] And I am hanging out with one of my favorite people today! It has been a good week :)

Frank

Frankie Williamson

It's storming out right now. Radly. I may go lie in the mud puddle in my backyard before I shower and go to work today.

Gusto

Gusto

Inglourious Basterds.

:aaahhh:

YESSSSSSSSSS

Cajungal

Cajungal

Weekend time is fella time. :heart::heart::heart:

Also, we have a coupon to the theatre here. Time to finally see this movie you kids are hollerin' about.

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

Also, we have a coupon to the theatre here. Time to finally see this movie you kids are hollerin' about.
HAVE YOU SEEN PONYO???? :clap:

But IB is a pretty good movie to squash any feel good cuteness you may have left the theater with after watching Ponyo.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Nahh, but Ponyo's not in Baton Rouge. I'm ok with catching it on DVD.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

cg

liam neeson? y/n

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

cg

liam neeson? y/n
I am not CG, but I say YES

Rob King

Rob King

cg

liam neeson? y/n
What kind of question is this? The answer is always yes.

Wasabi Poptart

Thunderstorms w/ lightning are the best. We hardly ever get them here and when we do it lasts about 5 minutes tops. Makes me miss being back east.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

cg

liam neeson? y/n
A million times yes.

True story, if my mom hadn't have been unconscious when I was born my name would have been Liam after her irrational fangirlism of Liam Neeson. My dad however, took advantage of my arduous birth to name me Frank.

Gusto

Gusto

Weekend time is also lady time. :)

I am excited!

Plus long weekend = parties!

Wahad

Wahad

No kidding! Tomorrow I'm gonna party like it's 1999.

Well, not really since all that would happen is I'd eat some cake and play with lego, which is not what is going to happen, but it's the thought that counts.

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

Cooking fajitas for the man tonight because we're raiding... and I don't wanna go... So, in spite of the silly officers, I will be drunk while posting here between wipes!

Gusto

Gusto

No kidding! Tomorrow I'm gonna party like it's 1999.

Well, not really since all that would happen is I'd eat some cake and play with lego, which is not what is going to happen, but it's the thought that counts.[/QUOTE]

If I were gonna party like I did when it was 1999, I'd be sitting in my friend's basement eating Doritos and drinking Coke while playing Super Smash Bros. 64.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

My dad made THE most kick-ass chicken mole tonight! :drool: I ate until I almost burst, and that's the only thing that stopped me from eating more. Cheesy is basking in a "happy full" glow! :smug:

Cajungal

Cajungal

cg

liam neeson? y/n
Oh my God, yes. :drool: First few minutes of Rob Roy, bathing in the lake, mrauuuugh.... *fist in mouth*

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

cg

liam neeson? y/n
What kind of question is this? The answer is always yes.[/QUOTE]

I know that. You know that.

Does cg know that?

Cajungal

Cajungal

Look above you, AwiQ. :p

Enresshou

Enresshou

I woke up feeling about a hundred times better than I did last night (a touch of stomach flu, mixed with a fever, headache, and heavy cough). I think my body got angry that whatever's making me sick forced it to eject some AMAZING Mexican food last night and did a culinary Hulk-out.

Bubble181

Bubble181

To the resident Belgians: come to the Brussels grand place this weekend, it's beer festival time once again.

That said, I'm off...Oh, and expect me in the drunk thread later today :-P

Enresshou

Enresshou

Just got back from visiting the girl. We watched "The Princess Bride" (my first time seeing the movie; yes, I know I have no soul) while eating cupcakes she'd baked that were frosted and decorated to look like zombies.

Best girlfriend in the world.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

friiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig puuuuuuuudding

now that post looks foolish and uninformed due to unfortunate timing

Cajungal

Cajungal

friiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig puuuuuuuudding

now that post looks foolish and uninformed due to unfortunate timing[/QUOTE]

S'true, but I love you anyway. ^_^

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

you only love your idea of me:angry:

Cajungal

Cajungal

you only love your idea of me:angry:
Well yeah but that's almost the same...

Gusto

Gusto

HUUUUUUUUUUUUGS

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

EPIC HUGS

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Just took 24 butter tarts out of the oven!

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Why did you have twenty-four tarts in your oven? How did you even fit them there?

But more importantly, how did you get them to butter up? :unibrow:

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Why did you have twenty-four tarts in your oven? How did you even fit them there?

But more importantly, how did you get them to butter up? :unibrow:[/QUOTE]

Well, I have a rather large oven for just such an occassion. Buttering tarts is most easily done when the tarts are properly stunned. And of course the easiest way to stun a tart is to slip some dessicated Finn liver into her cosmopolitan.

Enresshou

Enresshou

Just looked at my grades today, and it turns out I got a 4.0 over the summer quarter. My day was going good enough, until I looked at www.metalsetlists.com and see they posted the setlist for the current In Flames tour...

...and they're playing my absolute favorite song by them, Square Nothing. Can't. Fucking. WAIT for this tour now.

For those who haven't heard it:

"Spent some quality time
with the demon of mine
I said, 'I like the way you struggle...
but you KNOW I'm here to win.'"

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

Had AM duty on the playground this morning and I had a group of kids talk to me about the PS3 and MoH.

I love being on the same wavelength as my students sometimes. It sucks that I have to be such a beeyotch to them when they're in my classroom :whistling:

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Not very epic.

I was having lunch with 2 married couples from work. After eating they begin talking about their kids in high school. I take out my iPhone to check the weather radar. One of the wives starts to tease me, saying I was holding the phone softly and gently, even more so than I would hold a woman...

I say, "Yes, but I can break the phone if I get too rough with it."

Mr. Lawface

So there are definite benefits to being in the film department of a university in LA. I just got back from a preview screening of Zombieland.

ZenMonkey

ZenMonkey

Went outside for the shuttle landing at Edwards and while it's too cloudy to see it, I heard a nice double sonic boom! Very cool!

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

I'm typing this message on my laptop from within my dorm room.

That's right: I am officially in college!

strawman

strawman

I'm typing this message on my laptop from within my dorm room.

That's right: I am officially in college!
Huzzah! Soak it up while it lasts. You'll be spit out all too soon.

-Adam

Enresshou

Enresshou

Finished polishing up my statement of purpose, personal statement, and CV for grad school applications. Now all that's left is to wait for my professors to finish their letters of recommendation and I can simply click 'submit' on my applications and be done with the 'applications' portion of applying to grad school!

Yesterday was good, too. I got back sequencing data for a project I've been working on for a few months, and was finally able to try a recipe for an awesome-sounding red curry salmon dish, and it was great. Plus I'm finally starting to get decent at cooking.

Mr_Chaz

Finished polishing up my statement of purpose, personal statement, and CV for grad school applications. Now all that's left is to wait for my professors to finish their letters of recommendation and I can simply click 'submit' on my applications and be done with the 'applications' portion of applying to grad school!

Yesterday was good, too. I got back sequencing data for a project I've been working on for a few months, and was finally able to try a recipe for an awesome-sounding red curry salmon dish, and it was great. Plus I'm finally starting to get decent at cooking.
When your curries require gene sequencing I think you're putting too much effort into your food.

(Though 'grats on the applications, must be a great weight off your mind!)

ZenMonkey

ZenMonkey

My friend who was nominated for an Emmy? Just won it.

:aaahhh::clap::aaahhh:

(for editing the HBO movie "Taking Chance)

strawman

strawman

I got back sequencing data for a project I've been working on for a few months(an awesome-sounding red curry salmon dish)
When your curries require gene sequencing I think you're putting too much effort into your food.[/QUOTE]

The day every has a gene sequencer in the kitchen is when people will have mouth orgasms with each bite.

-Adam

Rob King

Rob King

The day every has a gene sequencer in the kitchen is when people will have mouth orgasms with each bite.

-Adam
The future sounds goood.

Enresshou

Enresshou

-Adam
The future sounds goood.[/QUOTE]

I've been sorely tempted to buy a P1000 micropipet simply to say that I've mixed drinks with scientific precision...sadly, none of my friends who drink want to split the cost of it and tips :-/

Rob King

Rob King

I've been sorely tempted to buy a P1000 micropipet simply to say that I've mixed drinks with scientific precision...sadly, none of my friends who drink want to split the cost of it and tips :-/
Hahah, very nice!

Ever since the introduction of Andrew Waltfield in Gundam Seed, I've wanted to assemble a vacuum coffee brewer out of flasks, tubing, a Bunsen burner, and other scientific equipment.

Cajungal

Cajungal

My friend who was nominated for an Emmy? Just won it.

:aaahhh::clap::aaahhh:

(for editing the HBO movie "Taking Chance)
WOOHOOO!!

Went out with the fellow and our friend Stephen last night. We were having wings at a sports bar after the college football game, and his stupid ex was there. It was so satisfying to see her drunkenly walk over and make a complete fool of herself. Her friends were so mortified. We probably had a fantastic night while she bitched to her poor friends about her mean old ex. Pathetic with a capital P. MWAHA.

Earlier that day she wandered onto the tailgating spot that he pays for and tried to bum their food and alcohol. Someone spit in her koozie (not him, he wasn't there at the time). DOUBLE Mwaha.

I was pissed off at her yesterday for trying to ruin my friend's evening, but now I'm just grateful that Steve's doing so much better than she is.

General Specific

General Specific

So, I just got back from Charlotte. My weekend visit with that girl I would not shut up about was great. Everything went awesomely. We clicked and had an amazing time. I cannot wait to see her again. :D

Cajungal

Cajungal

So, I just got back from Charlotte. My weekend visit with that girl I would not shut up about was great. Everything went awesomely. We clicked and had an amazing time. I cannot wait to see her again. :D
d'aww ^_^

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Just had to laugh at this, not sure what the Japanese/Chinese (don't know exactly which this is) says, but it's just funny.

Attachments

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

The boyfriend took me to the only decent Tex-Mex restaurant on the Northshore. We discovered that they had GREAT strawberry margaritas!

You know the yummy smelling strawberry margarita soap you can buy from Philosophy or Bath & Body Works? Yea... tasted just like that smell...

I, of course, got a plain one on the rocks and THAT was kickass!

Then we hung out with my sister at work, went back to the apartment, and went to bed early. BUT FELL ASLEEP LATE! ZING!!!

ThatGrinningIdiot!

ThatGrinningIdiot!

It's fall, it's fall, it' fall, YEAH!

*does the snoopy dance*

Gusto

Gusto

I woke up this morning to find a new RebelFM Gameclub podcast for Half Life 2!

RebelFM is a video gaming discussion podcast that I've really come to enjoy, and occasionally they'll do a 4-part feature called Gameclub, in which the group will play through a kinda-old game and discuss it in greater detail than they do during the normal podcasts. The idea is that they announce that they're playing up to a certain point, and then enthusiastic listeners can play along each week to have a better idea of what they're talking about.

Upon listening to the first part of the HL2 podcast this morning on my way into school, I was ALSO delighted to find that the four parts they're doing for the podcast are:

1: HL2 up to and including Ravenholm.
2: The remainder of HL2.
3: HL2:1.
4: HL2:2.

So I get to listen to this golden stuff over the next month. :)

Iaculus

100,000 words. That's [size=+2]ONE HUNDRED THOOOUUUSAAAND WORDS![/size]

So, um, yeah, Chapter 28 of my story's done. Just thought you should know.

[size=-2]... I'll be going now.[/size]

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

100,000 words. That's [SIZE=+2]ONE HUNDRED THOOOUUUSAAAND WORDS![/SIZE]

So, um, yeah, Chapter 28 of my story's done. Just thought you should know.

[SIZE=-2]... I'll be going now.[/SIZE]

congrats! I know how hard that is....how many more you got to go?

Iaculus

Still a little way. Matter of fact, I may not be that far past the story's halfway mark, as incredible as that may sound. It's definitely progress, mind, and I know where I'm going from here.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

good goin then :) I'm trying to write a story, and it probably won't ever be anything other than a curiosity for my kids to read, but I'm about at the half-way mark too.

Writing's work, even if it's fun, no doubt about it.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

and went to bed early. BUT FELL ASLEEP LATE! ZING!!!
You're doing it wrong. That just sounds like insomnia.

But, nice job making the sex
:moon:

Iaculus

good goin then :) I'm trying to write a story, and it probably won't ever be anything other than a curiosity for my kids to read, but I'm about at the half-way mark too.

Writing's work, even if it's fun, no doubt about it.
Mmm? How big, and what kind of story do it be?

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

Yea. It's insomnia... WITH A DICK INSIDE ME!

:smug:

Oh god... :facepalm:

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I don't want to talk about it much, cause I don't wanna jinx it. 100K words is my goal.

---------- Post added at 09:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 PM ----------

Oh god... :facepalm:[/QUOTE]

Uhm..i'll be in my bunk... JACKING OFF!

Oh god... :facepalm:

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Vytamindi, I'm really happy for you. I'm gonna let you finish, but Calleja had the best sex story of all time.

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

Oh god... :facepalm:[/quote]

Vytamindi, I'm really happy for you. I'm gonna let you finish, but Calleja had the best sex story of all time.[/QUOTE]

LOL just imagine if we had some forum awards show:

...And now in the "Sexual Escapade" category. The award goes to Cah... cal....cal leh ga?

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Vytamindi, I'm really happy for you. I'm gonna let you finish, but Calleja had the best sex story of all time.[/QUOTE]

What went through my head was "I'm really hapy for you. I'm gonna let you finish... oh, he's already done... anyway, Beyonce had the best sex ever."

---------- Post added at 04:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:16 PM ----------

And since nobody else has said it.... Pics or it didn't happen. ;)

ZenMonkey

ZenMonkey

Came to Halforums and checked the "Introduce Yourself" forum.

Enresshou

Enresshou

My friends got me back into Magic: The Gathering again (I know, not really a 'win'), and we went to the card shop a couple days ago. Apparently they started doing 'Mythic Rares', which are rares that are only in one out of every eight packs. I bought three packs then ($10 or so) and got one called Baneslayer Angel; checked Ebay for the prices (since I don't play white that much), and it's worth $20+ dollars.

Stopped by the shop today, bought two packs, and got another one :)

(and YES! My sig is appropriate for once!)

Bubble181

Bubble181

I dunno. If a woman I had sex with ever compared it to "insomnia ,but with a dick inside me"...:confused:
I viote it a better/worse sex story than jizz in my eyes by C :-P

Wahad

Wahad

HOTDAMN

Diablo Swing Orchestra's new album is pretty fucking awesome.

Gusto

Gusto

:hump:

That is all.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Rammstein's "Pussy" is a pretty awesome song. Thanks Ame :-D

ZenMonkey

ZenMonkey

I wrote a blog post this week about how puzzles and games can help cut through brain fog, which is a problem with many chronic illnesses. I had contacted the American Crossword Puzzle Tournament with a question and Will Shortz (the NYT crossword editor and one of my personal heroes) responded. So I was shameless enough to invite him to read the blog post.

Got an email back in which he said "I like your breezy -- while still thoughtful -- style of writing."

:eek:

Wasabi Poptart

That's very cool, ZM! :thumbsup:

ZenMonkey

ZenMonkey

That's very cool, ZM! :thumbsup:
Thanks! That comment (well, and the fact that he read it at all) really made my day.

Gusto

Gusto

Jesus, that's incredible! :D

Occasional Poster

Today I recieved a pay check I had forgotten about. Time to re-stock the refrigerator! :D

Cajungal

Cajungal

A resident just gave me one of the cinnamon buns she baked this morning :) yom

strawman

strawman

I just got a check from the court for $180 or so. As best as I can figure out, one of the guys who mugged me years ago must have finally paid a portion of the restitution.

Not sure what I'm going to do with it, though. Maybe install a security system in case they blame me for getting caught...

:paranoid:

-Adam

Gusto

Gusto

Contrary to how things usually go, the people sitting near me at the college today smell good.

There was a woman eating Chinese food earlier, and now something smells like beef gravy.

I'm getting hungry... AGAIN.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

First truly cool day here since the beginning of April. 61 and drizzling at noon. After a summer that had probably 30 days in a row over 100, this is a nice break.

And because it is Fall, cool, and lunch time... I had my first cup of Chili of the Fall.

ZenMonkey

ZenMonkey

No one saw this in the other thread so I'm reposting: Shook Eric Idle's hand and chatted with Jeffrey Jones at the "Evening Without Python" last night. The show was enormously fun. :)

strawman

strawman

Beautiful crystal clear morning, bright blue sky with dappled clouds here and there, trees just starting to change, and the perfect temperature.

Pretty soon we'll be dipping into hayride, cider and donut weather, with beautiful golds, yellows, and oranges lining our streets.

Gotta love Michigan.

-Adam

Fun Size

Fun Size

Beautiful crystal clear morning, bright blue sky with dappled clouds here and there, trees just starting to change, and the perfect temperature.

Pretty soon we'll be dipping into hayride, cider and donut weather, with beautiful golds, yellows, and oranges lining our streets.

Gotta love Michigan.

-Adam
Fall is easily my favorite season, and probably the one time I don't loathe Michigan. It's actually gotten a lot better living closer to the thumb. Everything in West Michigan is tainted by the giant cloud Lake Michigan provides around ten months out of the year. Over here I frequently walk out of my house and just stand in amazement at the blue sky above me.

Cajungal

Cajungal

No one saw this in the other thread so I'm reposting: Shook Eric Idle's hand and chatted with Jeffrey Jones at the "Evening Without Python" last night. The show was enormously fun. :)
O.O Jealous!

Glad you had fun! :D

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

FOUR DAY SCHOOL WEEK! And it's the best kind: Friday off! Thank you parish fair!

Can I just have one funnel cake.......eating contest?

Cajungal

Cajungal

FOUR DAY SCHOOL WEEK! And it's the best kind: Friday off! Thank you parish fair!

Guh, funnel cake. such a useless, delicious thing...

So... got me another gig. So how bout that? This time there's guaranteed to be no videos celebrating the work of tightly-wound Mardi Gras-haters.

Jake

Jake

Last time I had a funnel cake it had chili and cheese on it. That pretty much cured me of ever needing another funnel cake as long as I live.

strawman

strawman

Last time I had a funnel cake it had chili and cheese on it. That pretty much cured me of ever needing another funnel cake as long as I live.[/QUOTE]

On a funnel cake? I can understand having that on a fried flat bread, but a funnel cake?

Weird.

-Adam

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I can picture chili powder, cinnamon and powered sugar on a funnel cake. But not stewed meat chili...

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

TODAY I TURN 25!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That should go in the rant thread.... but I am getting presents tonight. So I guess that is a win?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

That should go in the rant thread.... but I am getting presents tonight. So I guess that is a win?
Ah, to be that young again.....

I should put THAT in the rant thread. All you whippersnappers are making me feel old.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Happy Birthday!!! *hug*

strawman

strawman

Ah, to be that young again.....

I should put THAT in the rant thread. All you whippersnappers are making me feel old.[/QUOTE]

Here's your cane and your starter pair of flappie hooties.

-Adam

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

*applies aspercreme*

Hubba.... wha?

Cajungal

Cajungal

Hey Vyta, let's strut around the forum together and talk loudly about being in our prime. :D

Jake

Jake

Congrats on your insurance and rental car fees going down.

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

Huh?

OH YEA!!! *cha ching*

---------- Post added at 04:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:48 PM ----------

Hey Vyta, let's strut around the forum together and talk loudly about being in our prime. :D
So, I was walking around without my cane, and I pushed Ed down. Lucky for him his hooties flapped when they should have flopped and he suffered no injuries!

No injuries... except tender hooties.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Congratulations of being the perfect age :)

Thread Necromancer

Thread Necromancer

I'm not the best with photoshop

Gusto

Gusto

Tuesdays are awesome because I have no school or work, have sex in the morning, a nap in the afternoon, and Dungeons and Dragons in the evening.

Tuesdays are awesome. :)

Bubble181

Bubble181

I'm extremely jealous of Gusto's Tuesdays :-(

Rob King

Rob King

I'm extremely jealous of Tuesday's Gusto.

I mean, it really takes a certain zeal to follow up a day like Monday.

Mr_Chaz

But surely when you're a Gusto every day is awesome?

Gusto

Gusto

But surely when you're a Gusto every day is awesome?
It IS pretty awesome.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Gusto's Tuesdays sound very much like CG's Saturdays. :p

Bubble181

Bubble181

OK, guys, I'm trying to make the perfect week now. I have Gusto's tuesdays and CG's saturdays. Anyone have good mondays or wednesdays?

Cajungal

Cajungal

Wellll, I get a 99 cent frozen yogurt cone on Wednesdays.

Andromache

happy birthday toddler. I'll give you a lap dance when you're of age. ;)

ZenMonkey

ZenMonkey

Jim Sweeney (the Comedy Store Players, the British "Whose Line is it Anyway," Blackadder, etc.) has MS, and has had to be in a wheelchair for over a year now. That's not the win. The win is that he was kind enough to agree to an email interview for my blog.

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

Got the limited edition Beatles rockband game last night. My boyfriend DOES love me.

And he did pretty well at singing songs he didn't know!

strawman

strawman

Participated in an electronics test and measurement equipment auction yesterday.

Got about $13,000 worth of test equipment for under $1,500.

I am pleased as punch.

-Adam

Gusto

Gusto

I'm making crockpot jambalaya for dinner.

HUM BAH LAH JAH

ZenMonkey

ZenMonkey

Got a nifty new pendant that goes well with my ankle tattoo.

http://twitpic.com/jzypo

Gusto

Gusto

Noice. :)

strawman

strawman

Baby's fracture is a salter 2, not 3. Pediatric orthopedic sergeon doesn't recommend a cast, just follow up xrays to make sure the growth is unaffected.

I'm so glad that it's only a level two.

-Adam

ZenMonkey

ZenMonkey

That's great news, stieny. Glad it wasn't as bad as you thought.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

EPISODES OF MST3K ARE BEING ADDED TO NETFLIX INSTANT WATCH YESSSSSSSSSSSS

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Was at a Lebanese restaurant last night. Not my forte, but the mrs loves it. They play Lebanese music as well, and I starting really digging this one song. The mrs seems pleased that I like it until I explain that it was a Lebanese cover of Achy Breaky Heart.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Was at a Lebanese restaurant last night. Not my forte, but the mrs loves it. They play Lebanese music as well, and I starting really digging this one song. The mrs seems pleased that I like it until I explain that it was a Lebanese cover of Achy Breaky Heart.
Is this really a win? I mean, c'mon, Achey Breaky.... and no that is not what is going through my head now

Istanbul was Constantinople, now it's Istanbul not Constantinople...

Wasabi Poptart

Baby's fracture is a salter 2, not 3. Pediatric orthopedic sergeon doesn't recommend a cast, just follow up xrays to make sure the growth is unaffected.

I'm so glad that it's only a level two.

-Adam
Glad to hear he won't need a cast and it is only a level 2 fracture.

Cajungal

Cajungal

*geekgasm* :aaahhh:

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

:hitit:

MindDetective

MindDetective

I proposed today. She said yes. *Dazed*

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Congratulations, but shouldn't you be with her right now and now here with us nerds? ;)

Cajungal

Cajungal

*hops around* Woohoo! Congratulations! That's great news!

MindDetective

MindDetective

Congratulations, but shouldn't you be with her right now and now here with us nerds? ;)[/QUOTE]

She's at work. I get to see her for an hour before she goes to her other job. You're stuck with me for a little while!

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

WOOHOO!! Congratulations, you ol' brain probe, you! When's the engagement party? And more importantly, when's the stag party? I'll bring my own horns!

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Now that is truly EPIC, MindDetective! Gratz to the both a' yinz! :D

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

HUZZAH, MD!

:falldown:

Cajungal

Cajungal

Yeah, I was gonna talk about the killer Cuban restaurant I discovered today, but my pork sandwich can't hold a candle to an engagement.

....or can it?

No, no, it can't. I'm so happy for you. :D Any idea how long y'all wanna be engaged?

MindDetective

MindDetective

Conga rats!!

That's awesome.

Now... Can you give me a rundown of how exactly you proposed?
Yes, I'm a sappy romantic at heart. Already watched one proposal tonight.[/QUOTE]

It wasn't the traditional proposal, I have to say. She and I drove to Minneapolis (a two hour drive without stops, of which we had several) to pick up a new (used) car. I had helped out with the purchase of this car, so in many ways it was the first big "us" purchase. Anyway, I kind of wanted the car to be a part of the proposal so I parked her new PT Cruiser next to my sedan while she was busy inside the dealership. She wanted a car that would allow her to put the dog in the back, so I bought a plush dog that vaguely resembled her dog and put in in the back as a cute little joke, the ring resting under it's chin. While she was admiring her new car, I had her open the trunk. She saw the dog and laughed, picking it up. THEN she noticed the ring and looked at me in stunned silence. She cried/laughed for five minutes. I had to coax an answer out of her between sob/laughs. Basically, I proposed to her in the parking lot of a giant car dealership. I never claimed to be a ladies man! Anyway, she loved the proposal (for not being cliche) and the ring (which I already knew she liked) and the car. It was a pretty good day for her, I'd say. And for me too. :)

---------- Post added at 09:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 PM ----------

Yeah, I was gonna talk about the killer Cuban restaurant I discovered today, but my pork sandwich can't hold a candle to an engagement.

....or can it?

No, no, it can't. I'm so happy for you. :D Any idea how long y'all wanna be engaged?
Not very long. I'm looking for a new job right now, so we are expecting to move next summer. She kind of likes the idea of eloping, which I'm not entirely against. We may do something like a destination wedding, inviting whoever can afford to come with.

Ross

Ross

MD: That's a great proposal. I only hope I can think of a fun, original one like that when it's my turn.

Cajungal

Cajungal

So sweet. :) Great story.

Wasabi Poptart

Best wishes to you and your fiancee, MD!

Cajungal

Cajungal

It will, AmE, because you're so sweet. ^_^

ZenMonkey

ZenMonkey

Yay MD! Very awesome news indeed. :party:

Bubble181

Bubble181

Congratulations MindDetective :) I do hope you'll continue to be very happy together :)

And Zen: awesome pendant :)

Gusto

Gusto

I'm looking forward to my upcoming 5 day weekend.

Iaculus

Ye gods - good going, MD!

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

Yesterday I had an epic win. That is all.
TELL US!!! :D

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

OOoooooo!!!!! *glee*

Bubble181

Bubble181

Yesterday I had an epic win. That is all.
TELL US!!! :D[/QUOTE]

Then the thread would have to be moved to the NSFW section. ^^;[/QUOTE]

See, this is why we needed an"I got laid" thread :-P

Rob King

Rob King

See, this is why we needed an"I got laid" thread :-P
For a second there, I thought you were saying you got laid. It's weird. When I thought that, it felt almost like I had lost some sort of competition.

I'm strange.

My win is thus:
My brother is basically the most awesome person on the planet. I love the relationship I have with him. He'll go out and write a song, or take some pictures, and he'll send them to me, and we'll talk about his work. Then I'll go write something, or sketch somebody, and we'll do the same. I couldn't imagine living my life without my brother.

Only problem is that we're both a little angsty. He's having a hard time adjusting to University, and is considering just giving up and living the hippie life in Toronto. I, similarly, desperately want to be able to work from the road and spend the next few years as a vagabond.

I guess this is more of a rant. But it's a happy rant. So I'll put it here.

Also, Rant 1.5
I finally got the first chapter of my serial project done. I mentioned it a month or two ago, before we moved to Halforums, and we were talking about contributing content for the site. It might be crap, but I need to stop worrying about that, and just put myself out there. After a few more proofreaders get done with it, I should be ready to stick it up somewhere. The next question is "Where?"

Fun Size

Fun Size

After a few more proofreaders get done with it, I should be ready to stick it up somewhere. The next question is "Where?"
Dude, you're seriously just going to leave that out there? Like that? With these people?

You are a bold, bold man.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Rob: if I did, I assure you I'd post more than *that*.
So, no, I'm just referring to Ame.

That said, go stick it up on 4chan , I dare ya :-P

Rob King

Rob King

After a few more proofreaders get done with it, I should be ready to stick it up somewhere. The next question is "Where?"
Dude, you're seriously just going to leave that out there? Like that? With these people?

You are a bold, bold man.[/QUOTE]

I'm a lonely man. Ill-considered double entendres are all I have.

Enresshou

Enresshou

After seven months of researching schools, looking into where I want to go, writing/rewriting my Statement of Purpose and personal statement, contacting professors, and a ton of other stuff, I finally submitted my first complete application today.

I'm now officially in the running for neuroscience Ph.D. programs for Fall 2010! :)

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

The lady at McDonalds passed me a 1/2 franc (French) instead of a dime today.

The joke's on them! it's worth 11 cents!

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

So, at the end of the last month (a few days ago lol) I noticed I had $600 ish dollars left in my bank account.

...Turns out I forgot to mail two of my bills...

BUT! I placed that money in my savings (after buying some boner inducing heels) so it's all still there, and I think I can make it till the 15th!

So, possible money win AND I have some sweet heels! THAT I CAN WALK IN!!!!

Gusto

Gusto

Today was Tuesday.

ThatGrinningIdiot!

ThatGrinningIdiot!

I HAVE MY PSP BACK, YAAAAAAAAY!

Disgaea 1 & 2 will now consume my life. :)

ZenMonkey

ZenMonkey

Poe's Law just got proven in the most beautiful way in the comments on my latest post. I should seriously send the link to Nathan Poe.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I enjoyed it very much. :)

Gusto

Gusto

Poe's Law just got proven in the most beautiful way in the comments on my latest post. I should seriously send the link to Nathan Poe.
So, so excellent.

Nile

Nile

Just bought the first Death Note box set! :D Now I just need to find Volume 2, or just the first few discs of it... I don't really care for any of the episodes past 26.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I made me some tasty lentils and rice. ^_^ I've finally gotten the salt, cumin, and red pepper exactly right.

I thought about it the other day, and I haven't eaten meat-meat during the week at all lately without even trying. I love my bean soups and lentils too much. And egg sandwiches in the mornin.... and sardines for snacks. :drool That part's not really the epic win... I just realized.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

I made me some tasty lentils and rice. ^_^ I've finally gotten the salt, cumin, and red pepper exactly right.

I thought about it the other day, and I haven't eaten meat-meat during the week at all lately without even trying. I love my bean soups and lentils too much. And egg sandwiches in the mornin.... and sardines for snacks. :drool That part's not really the epic win... I just realized.
Dal and rice fills me up like crazy. It's cheap and super easy to make. Do the lentil dance!

Cajungal

Cajungal

*does the lentil dance*

It involves a lot of kicking and dramatic arm movements. Wish y'all could see. :p

Wasabi Poptart

now I want lentil soup

Rob King

Rob King

Not a win really, but I figured I might put it here, because I'm hopeful.

My landlord (who happens to be my roommate's father) was in town this weekend, and I ended up chatting with him for like ... three hours on Saturday. I discovered that he's been writing for quite some time now, for some local newspapers and magazines. Mostly outdoorsman sort of stuff, but still writing.

He just sent me an email about a newspaper he contributes to. Every year they take on 16 new community editorial people. 6-7 editorials each over a period of a year. He suggested I go for it. The deadline is in a week, but I only have to write 400 words and a brief introduction to myself.

I'm certainly not guaranteed a spot. I don't even know how many people contribute to this yearly. And it's not paid. But it could quite possibly be a start.

As for topics for my first editorial ... I've got a few ideas, but some are too seasonal, and some are only barely about 'a local issue.' But I'm excited to give this a try.

Gusto

Gusto

Contrary to my post in RANT from a few days ago, Thanksgiving is NOT cancelled this year!

I owe someone at work a favour.

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

Late congratulations, Mind Detective!!

(Not to be confused, even if they are delicious, with Latte congratulations)

Bubble181

Bubble181

Late congratulations, Mind Detective!!

(Not to be confused, even if they are delicious, with Latte congratulations)[/QUOTE]

Nor with condolences by a prankster.

Enresshou

Enresshou

Tutored a friend of mine in biology for about an hour and a half today (crappy book, crappier professor who's teaching intro-level stuff in WAY too much depth), and her boyfriend said that he'd pay me if it became a regular occurence. A little while later we sat down to watch Afro Samurai, and he gave me some AWESOME Spider-Man fruit snacks. I jokingly told him he could pay me with those if he wanted...

...and I'm now munching on a box of them because he said he didn't have any cash on him, and I could have 'em. Life is sweet :D

Iaculus

Also, Rant 1.5
I finally got the first chapter of my serial project done. I mentioned it a month or two ago, before we moved to Halforums, and we were talking about contributing content for the site. It might be crap, but I need to stop worrying about that, and just put myself out there. After a few more proofreaders get done with it, I should be ready to stick it up somewhere. The next question is "Where?"
Ooh, a story in need of proofreading? Can I help? I have some small talent in the field, see.

Jake

Jake

Tutored a friend of mine in biology for about an hour and a half today (crappy book, crappier professor who's teaching intro-level stuff in WAY too much depth), and her boyfriend said that he'd pay me if it became a regular occurence. A little while later we sat down to watch Afro Samurai, and he gave me some AWESOME Spider-Man fruit snacks. I jokingly told him he could pay me with those if he wanted...

...and I'm now munching on a box of them because he said he didn't have any cash on him, and I could have 'em. Life is sweet :D
In grad school I used to occasionally tutor a vendor rep in biochem for beer and nachos at a local pub. Yay for the barter system.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I'm at a cafe waiting for something to start...and sitting next to a regular who has a condition I can't name. He's in here every day, a full grown man who lives with his mother, rocking back and forth to funk music on his ipod and drinking free water.

I love to be here when he's here, because he reminds of the kindness that we're all capable of if we come outside of our own space. He asks us questions and sings us songs; he can hear the first bar of ANY funk song and know what it is (really, it's amazing). There's another man in here who's a regular; an older gentleman who can't walk very well. Whenever he's here, the other guy always carries his coffee and muffin to the table for him. Then he wordlessly returns to his seat and starts dancing to the music on his ipod again.

He doesn't need a 'thank you.' He just loves to interact and to be helpful. He's more pleasant than most people. I'm just more used to hearing "bless his heart" or "poor thing" when it comes to people like him. But the truth is that he's exceptional in many ways, and we could all take a lesson from him.

Enresshou

Enresshou

I'm at a cafe waiting for something to start...and sitting next to a regular who has a condition I can't name. He's in here every day, a full grown man who lives with his mother, rocking back and forth to funk music on his ipod and drinking free water.

I love to be here when he's here, because he reminds of the kindness that we're all capable of if we come outside of our own space. He asks us questions and sings us songs; he can hear the first bar of ANY funk song and know what it is (really, it's amazing). There's another man in here who's a regular; an older gentleman who can't walk very well. Whenever he's here, the other guy always carries his coffee and muffin to the table for him. Then he wordlessly returns to his seat and starts dancing to the music on his ipod again.

He doesn't need a 'thank you.' He just loves to interact and to be helpful. He's more pleasant than most people. I'm just more used to hearing "bless his heart" or "poor thing" when it comes to people like him. But the truth is that he's exceptional in many ways, and we could all take a lesson from him.
I totally agree with you there. It's just so utterly rare to see acts of kindness for kindness' sake, or a simple ability to trust in someone to do the right thing.

I was at work during the holiday season, and a guy waited in line for about twenty minutes. I asked what he wanted, and he handed me a $20; he told me he'd found it, and that somebody might realize they lost it and come claim it.

I felt that act of trust and kindness deserved something, so I used it to buy a few homeless people lunch the next week and chatted with them for a while. It's beautiful how something as simple as a gesture can connect you to another person.

Gusto

Gusto

I just got a check from my college in the amount of $618.16, with no letter or comments describing what it is for.

Epic, yes, but I'm more confused than anything. :confused:

Wahad

Wahad

I just got a check from my college in the amount of $618.16, with no letter or comments describing what it is for.

Maybe you won the raffle lottery? :noidea:

Rob King

Rob King

I love my brother. He's always a load of fun.

In the span of only twelve hours, I've driven him all around town to take photographs (none of which are incredible, but he's just starting out, and he doesn't have a terrific camera for it) which was a blast in itself. Then we came home, and he decided that we were both going to learn how to make balloon animals. After that, we went to Wal*Mart, and while he passed on buying pokemon cards and finally learning how to play properly, he did inspire me to buy a 'learn to play Harmonica' kit.

All random, small things, but it's the kind of stuff that makes coming home so fun.

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

Been trying to turn my sister's three year old son into a comic book/music nerd.

He was watching some tv show and it showed a violin.

"Look, mommy! A little cello!!"

Cajungal

Cajungal

Maybe it's compensation for all the idiotic people you keep talking about. :p

ZenMonkey

ZenMonkey

One of my trio of best girlfriends in the world just told me she's pregnant! I didn't even know they were trying; apparently they weren't exactly but it happened a lot faster than intended. I'm so happy for her!

:peace::heart::peace:

Also cool, she had a sonogram that looks exactly like this evil alien coming at you with the "BOO!" hands. It's all kinds of awesome but I cannot post it for obvious reasons.

strawman

strawman

One of my trio of best girlfriends in the world just told me she's pregnant! I didn't even know they were trying; apparently they weren't exactly but it happened a lot faster than intended. I'm so happy for her!

:peace::heart::peace:

Also cool, she had a sonogram that looks exactly like this evil alien coming at you with the "BOO!" hands. It's all kinds of awesome but I cannot post it for obvious reasons.
We would all collectively wet our pants and run wildly away screaming?

Sonograms are creepy...

-Adam

Enresshou

Enresshou

About a month and a half ago, I found out about this thing for biomedical PhD students at the University of Michigan (one of the top 20 biomedical science programs in the country). Basically they try to recruit underrepresented students, and--since I'm about half Puerto Rican--I qualify.

I just got the invitation notice today, so I get a free trip to Ann Arbor--better than that, I get to make an impression on some of the professors I may be working with and (hopefully) will bump up my chances of admission! :)

ZenMonkey

ZenMonkey

We would all collectively wet our pants and run wildly away screaming?
Privacy?

Adam

Adammon

Getting my Manager: Research and Development business cards finally done. And my assistant's job is going to post sooner rather than later. Plus my wife is back from Vegas. Wins all around!

strawman

strawman

Warm fuzzy feeling from zero bugs on my bug list.

Now I just need to crash the bugzilla server so I can relax the rest of the day.

Oooh! And I have a lunch meeting.

-Adam

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

I finished my PGPs?

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

I finished my PGPs?
Did you say... http://www.homestarrunner.com/rapsong.html

---

Maybe this joke is too convoluted? I do that, sometimes.

Cajungal

Cajungal

One of my classmates talked to me today.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Also, I'm listening in on the HFs D+D game. Someone just said they were going to slather something on a rod. And it made me giggle.

strawman

strawman

I finished my PGPs?
Did you say... http://www.homestarrunner.com/rapsong.html

---

Maybe this joke is too convoluted? I do that, sometimes.[/QUOTE]

Don't look at me, I was considering going into the whole, "Great! Encryption is so important today, and I'm glad you've finally got a set of PGP keys so we can send secret, authenticated, tamper evident messages back and forth!"

But.. yeah. Too convoluted...

-Adam

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

PROFESSIONAL GROWTH PLANS YOU GOONS!!

Yea, they're done! :D

strawman

strawman

/me abruptly sits down next to Silver Jelly, whispers something, and stifles a laugh

-Adam

Cajungal

Cajungal

/me abruptly sits down next to Silver Jelly, whispers something, and stifles a laugh

-Adam[/QUOTE]

Glad it wasn't just me. :rofl:

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

I love you guys!

Bubble181

Bubble181

We love you too, Jessica..Eerrrr, V. :paranoid:

Win: internet at work and nobody cares about me surfing :)

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

-Adam[/QUOTE]

uh? Oh? Ypu said something? I was distracted...