The EPIC WIN Thread 3: SON OF EPIC

I don’t know. There’s no actual standard for mfrs I know of as to whether to go single/dual key, and there’s also the possibility that the ignition (or the trunk) may have been recored at some point.

—Patrick
Probably the trunk, 'cause the key still works the doors and ignition.

I hate to suggest it, but there's a good chance if the key isn't working, the trunk has been broken into at least once. I've known a couple of people this has happened to, including Mr.Z.

It looks like the car had been rear-ended at some point, which may account for some of it.

I tried to take the car to its original dealership to see what I could do. They wanted $110 just to look at it. Nope.

It looks like the car had been rear-ended at some point, which may account for some of it.

I tried to take the car to its original dealership to see what I could do. They wanted $110 just to look at it. Nope.
The internet says to try WD40 in case a pin is stuck. Apparently it’s not an uncommon problem for the trunk lock to get sticky due to dirt/salt/etc. Worth a try, anyway.

You’ll need to add a lubricant to the lock after using the WD40.

The internet says to try WD40 in case a pin is stuck. Apparently it’s not an uncommon problem for the trunk lock to get sticky due to dirt/salt/etc. Worth a try, anyway.

You’ll need to add a lubricant to the lock after using the WD40.
I hit it with WD40 earlier this morning. I'll give it a check before I go to work in a few minutes. :)

The hugs are appreciated, but it's really just an irritant. I'l either live with it or get it fixed eventually.

Since the dealer already had pics posted to AutoTrader, I just yoinked them so I didn't have to retake them myself...

Thing is, that might mean getting a new key for the ignition as well - which is yucky.
Or just have a separate key for the trunk. (A locksmith may be able to rekey it for you?)

Looks like you can get a replacement lock & key from parts.subaru.com for about $25. Trunk lock shouldn’t be too difficult to replace (you can find the 2003 Legacy Service Manual floating around the internet, and maybe some YouTube vids). If you do decide to do it yourself, also pick up a bag of the plastic clips on the interior trunk trim. You WILL break some when you remove it. It’s not you, that’s just the Law of Working on a Subie. .

If you don’t feel like messing with it yourself, connect with your local Subaru Owner’s Group. They can probably point you to a mechanic who isn’t as expensive as the dealership.

Good luck!

Three types of keys are provided for your vehicle.
Master key, submaster key and valet key.
The master key and submaster key fit all locks on your vehicle.
  • Ignition switch
  • Doors
  • Trunk (sedan) or Rear gate (station wagon)
  • Glove box

Oh yeah! Direct deposit into the bank account for my class action lawsuit winnings today! How will I spend my money? Muhuhahahaha!

School night!
My girlfriend is a teacher. Even though the district went to online only, teachers still have to go into school twice a week to do classes from the classroom. For no notable reason besides "we don't want this to be too pleasant for you"

My girlfriend is a teacher. Even though the district went to online only, teachers still have to go into school twice a week to do classes from the classroom. For no notable reason besides "we don't want this to be too pleasant for you"
Day 1: the online system is broken so she's at the school doing nothing.

My mother is a teacher too, and her district makes her come into the classroom to distance teach every school day. With administrators roaming the hallways. No shit.

My mother is a teacher too, and her district makes her come into the classroom to distance teach every school day. With administrators roaming the hallways. No shit.
Our school tried to do that. Our union refused and was willing to strike over it (and a list of other ridiculous shit). Thankfully the district backed down.

I don’t know why, but every district administrator has seemingly decided that teachers are all lazy, irresponsible losers who have to be micro-managed.

Are they doing it because they feel students will be more inclined to learn when they see a classroom in the background of the teacher's chat window?