The EPIC WIN Thread 3: SON OF EPIC

Dave

Staff member
Sammi lives with Edgar. We USED to live with Nick, but things happened, which is why we had to move. Zach came home from the Army and lives with us.

This may sound crazy, but I'm going to try it.

Ten days ago, I started writing a project I've been wanting to do. Right now I'm at 24k words, which is record time for me (thanks, shutdown!)

I've got a schedule situated, to do a chapter each morning and evening starting tomorrow, and then finish the rest of the book this weekend now that I've outlined and storyboarded it tonight. Might be another 30k? It's all first draft, so what happens will happen. I've never done it like this before; usually it takes me months to do a first draft because I write complicated plots, lots of sub-plots, 450 pages monstrosities, but for this short, simple "kids vs monster" book, it's been straightforward.

Wish me luck, 'cause first shift starts in 5 and a half hours! :D
frodo it's done.gif

48k words in 17 days.

It's rough draft, is going to need a lot of work fleshing it out, trimming, etc, but as a rough draft's only job is to exist, it exists. I'll worry about the rest of that later.

Dave

Staff member
This is an epic win for me but I don't think many people would find it so.

One of my Tweets was liked by David Gilmour of Pink Floyd!!! Holy fucking shit! DAVID FUCKING GILMOUR!! Pink Floyd has been my favorite band for DECADES and this is like HOLY SHIT!

He didn't retweet it or anything. No follow or anything like that, but DAVID GILMOUR READ MY TWEET!

This is an epic win for me but I don't think many people would find it so.

One of my Tweets was liked by David Gilmour of Pink Floyd!!! Holy fucking shit! DAVID FUCKING GILMOUR!! Pink Floyd has been my favorite band for DECADES and this is like HOLY SHIT!

He didn't retweet it or anything. No follow or anything like that, but DAVID GILMOUR READ MY TWEET!
eh... I'm more of a Roger Waters fan.

/s

Dave

Staff member
That's cool. Radio KIOS is one of my all time favorite albums. Waters is cool. But I like Gilmour's playing a lot more.

That's awesome! Definitely take a screenshot of it.

That reminds of the time I replied to a Marvel post on Facebook, where I narrated like Luis from Ant-Man. It got a couple hundred likes and Marvel itself liked my post. That meant I was the talk of the office for a while. But Facebook posts are quickly lost in the churn. What you did is much longer-lasting.

Dave

Staff member
Dude...the account wasn't even verified.

If you want people to stop making old man jokes, you gotta learn this stuff.
I noticed that as well. But he has a person that runs his social media accounts for him named Polly so I wondered if your account could be verified if it wasn't the actual person.

figmentPez

Staff member
Just got home from the TCCSTA play festival, where Lonestar College Kingwood performed The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (Abridged) [Revised]. We adapted the three man show for five people, because it's insane that three people can do this. One of our actors, our theater director, was ineligible for awards. (Technically I was too, but they fudged that). The remaining four of us all got the highest rating, Superior. That's nearly unheard of for this play festival. Simply put: WE KICKED ASS!

For the normal run of the show we'd been performing in a music recital hall, since the main state is still being renovated after flooding caused by Harvey. The stage at the theater festival was much larger, had longer travel times when offstage, and since we were competing in a timed format, we only got a 1-minute break between acts instead of 15. This is a show that had us dripping with sweat every night. To do this in the larger format (after helping to unload, set the stage, and working through blocking changes) required that off-stage walks turn into jogs, jogs into runs, and any runs became full on sprints.

By the end of act one my ears were ringing from the exertion. By the end of act two my legs were cramping so hard I was stumbling. One of us nearly passed out, all of us were heaving for breath, and we all needed water badly. We had 100 minutes (90 and a 10 minute grace period) to perform the play and completely strike the set. We finished with 56 seconds to spare.

I have never worked with a finer cast and crew, and I am damn pleased with what we accomplished.

Last edited:
The intimation was that you are the sort of person employers would want to give raises to, and thus it would happen frequently enough for you to become more accustomed to it.

--Patrick
I read that the opposite way, that you were saying she'd get used to not getting promotions.

I read that the opposite way, that you were saying she'd get used to not getting promotions.
Haha, I mean, I read it as the assumption that I’ll have jobs, work jobs, that give promotions - which I don’t think I will. I think I’ll work weird odd jobs to make ends meet, maybe eventually have a partner who makes enough that I can contribute by selling my artwork and not have a ‘real’ job. That’s what I meant.

Last edited:

Cajungal

Staff member
I recently got invited to open for an all-women standup showcase. The lady who invited me is a comedian that I really respect, and she's been at two of the three open mics at which I performed. It's become a hobby for me, and I'd planned on attending them every now and then to just hone my writing/comedy skills and push myself. I never imagined someone would want me for a show. It went over well. I got a lot of laughs, and when I didn't, I had some pretty effective "well that sucked" comments.

The best part of this is that, while looking over my notes to build a 7-minute set, I realized that I've compiled about thirty minutes of material! I hadn't kept track of how many pages of notes/sound files I'd accumulated. So yes, I'm definitely gonna keep doing this. I don't believe anything any bigger will come of it, but I like what it's done for my confidence and my flexibility.

Oh shit! And then there were two!
I recently got invited to open for an all-women standup showcase. The lady who invited me is a comedian that I really respect, and she's been at two of the three open mics at which I performed. It's become a hobby for me, and I'd planned on attending them every now and then to just hone my writing/comedy skills and push myself. I never imagined someone would want me for a show. It went over well. I got a lot of laughs, and when I didn't, I had some pretty effective "well that sucked" comments.

The best part of this is that, while looking over my notes to build a 7-minute set, I realized that I've compiled about thirty minutes of material! I hadn't kept track of how many pages of notes/sound files I'd accumulated. So yes, I'm definitely gonna keep doing this. I don't believe anything any bigger will come of it, but I like what it's done for my confidence and my flexibility.
Ehhhh I'm not seeing it.

Some interesting (and kinda good?) news:

Work asked me to help create some short, animated training videos. The program they use has pre-made characters that can be animated (almost like gifs). It actually resembles the video editing software I used for my YouTube videos. Seems easy enough to use.

So, I'll be doing that instead of dealing with customers for about 12 hours a week (the rest business as usual) until around May.

The surprising thing is the woman in charge had only three people out of the whole center in mind for this. And I was one of them. So, I'm feeling incredibly honored by that.

I just made arrangements with an artist to do a very silly one-page comic strip. An Avengers Endgame parody. Paid them, too, because artists deserve to be paid.

Thus will be my first ever official collaboration with an artist. To say that I'm excited is beyond any understatement.

(And it's a REALLY stupid idea. I'm not sure if I should be proud or ashamed of it yet.)

As long as it's not "Ant-man kills Thanos by crawling up his ass and expanding", you're already more original than 95% of the Internet.