The EPIC WIN Thread 3: SON OF EPIC

Finally found the leak that's been driving my water bills up to the several hundred dollar per month range. Fixing it cost $30, plus whatever I decide to tip the dudes that did the work because it was a plastic fitting that cracked and had a pinhole leak. Took us three damn months to find the leak, though.

BOSTOCK v. CLAYTON COUNTY, GEORGIA decided today.

The PDF of the decision for those interested
https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/19pdf/17-1618_hfci.pdf

This seems to me to key factor in interpreting the rule: "A statutory violation occurs if an employer intentionally relies in part on an individual employee’s sex when deciding to discharge the employee. Because discrimination on the basis of homosexuality or transgender status requires an employer to intentionally treat individual employees differently because of their sex, an employer who intentionally penalizes an employee for being homosexual or transgender also violates Title VII"

They sidestep the whole issue of whether gender is fluid, or whether the original intent of the title VII was gender vs sexual orientation. They basically say "if you fire a man for doing something you wouldn't fire a woman for (loving a man, for instance), it's sexual discrimination--because you're basing the entire decision on the fact that a man did it. That's biologically sex related and falls under the act." (and vice versa with women, and the whole rainbow, basically)

I think it makes for a very strong and straightforward decision with very little wiggle room.

BOSTOCK v. CLAYTON COUNTY, GEORGIA decided today.

The PDF of the decision for those interested
https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/19pdf/17-1618_hfci.pdf

This seems to me to key factor in interpreting the rule: "A statutory violation occurs if an employer intentionally relies in part on an individual employee’s sex when deciding to discharge the employee. Because discrimination on the basis of homosexuality or transgender status requires an employer to intentionally treat individual employees differently because of their sex, an employer who intentionally penalizes an employee for being homosexual or transgender also violates Title VII"

They sidestep the whole issue of whether gender is fluid, or whether the original intent of the title VII was gender vs sexual orientation. They basically say "if you fire a man for doing something you wouldn't fire a woman for (loving a man, for instance), it's sexual discrimination--because you're basing the entire decision on the fact that a man did it. That's biologically sex related and falls under the act." (and vice versa with women, and the whole rainbow, basically)

I think it makes for a very strong and straightforward decision with very little wiggle room.
I may not be happy with how Gorsuch got his seat, but at least he sticks to the law as written even if it's something he may not agree with. (We'll see if that changes over time, but so far I've been pleasantly surprised by him a few times)

Kavanaugh just once again proves that he's a Trump appointee.

neighbors tree limb fell last night ripping the high voltage transmission line down, caused a massive surge, every one of my safety interlocks did its job last night, every fuck one. I am the only one in the neighborhood who does not need a new electrical system. I feel lucky and nothing else.

Last edited:
Today I found a pair of needle-nose pliers I've been missing SINCE 2013.
2020, you are truly full of surprises.

--Patrick
My husband found my son's favorite CD to listen to in the car when he was 4 while cleaning the garage this weekend.

Today was my son's 18th birthday.

Dave

Staff member
When my wife got her first unemployment check from the Covid thing, it said, "Half payment." Had no idea what that meant until today we got "Second half payment."

Out of the blue. Here's $1600. Mazel tov.

We're getting a pool! It's not a fancy, in-ground pool (we can't afford that right now), but it's 24', so it's a nice size. I've never had my own pool before, so I'm excited. Mainly this happened because we had to cancel Li'l Z's camp, and Mr. Z decided to put that money towards making sure he cans still have a fun, socially distant summer. If you saw my Rant thread post, you can see why.

Less of the Win is that the company that sold us the pool doesn't install, so we have to DIY. I didn't think it was that bad except that we have to dig a 25' x 2" hole to put it in, and Mr. Z has to be in the office all this week, so guess who's doing all the digging??? My back hurts so much...

So is it a really deep hole for your fingers, or a really wide puddle?
Yes.

No, that's the size of the hole you put the sand in that keeps weeds from poking through the pool liner and making sure the ground is even underneath.. The pool sits on top of it. So basically, there's two inches of sand, plus an extra foot around the outside of the pool to keep away weeds.

The stupid things I'm learning.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm kinda surprised that two inches of sand is enough... I'm pretty sure if I put down a layer of 2 inches of sand, I'd still have to regularly spray it with roundup.

I'm kinda surprised that two inches of sand is enough... I'm pretty sure if I put down a layer of 2 inches of sand, I'd still have to regularly spray it with roundup.
It may have something to do with the climate up here. We have a much shorter growing season.

GasBandit

Staff member
It may have something to do with the climate up here. We have a much shorter growing season.
Maybe so. That was one thing I had to get used to after moving down here from Colorado - EVERY DAY is a non-stop struggle against nature, who is FANATICALLY determined to reclaim all human endeavor and return it to entropic chaos.

Maybe so. That was one thing I had to get used to after moving down here from Colorado - EVERY DAY is a non-stop struggle against nature, who is FANATICALLY determined to reclaim all human endeavor and return it to entropic chaos.
Look, we have this problem in Colorado too. Maybe not to the extent Texas does, but there's a reason we decided to bribe our kids into doing the worst of the yardwork this year.

GasBandit

Staff member
Look, we have this problem in Colorado too. Maybe not to the extent Texas does, but there's a reason we decided to bribe our kids into doing the worst of the yardwork this year.
My first paid gig was when I dug a koi pond for a neighbor, in colorado.

I know from whence I speak.

That said, if you REALLY want to know what you can put a 2 inch layer of and NOTHING will grow in it or bother it or touch it?

Easy Cheez.

Even in Texas. As an experiment, I put a huge, fist-sized dollop of Easy Cheez on a slice of bread and left it on my front lawn.

It took the bread 3 weeks to disintegrate.

The dollop was still there when I finally mowed at week 6.

Easy Cheez.

Even in Texas. As an experiment, I put a huge, fist-sized dollop of Easy Cheez on a slice of bread and left it on my front lawn.

Good, I'll be well preserved from the wildlife, then. How do they react to Chicken In a Biskit?

My first paid gig was when I dug a koi pond for a neighbor, in colorado.

I know from whence I speak.

That said, if you REALLY want to know what you can put a 2 inch layer of and NOTHING will grow in it or bother it or touch it?

Easy Cheez.

Did the dollop curse you with its dying breath when you mowed over it? Because I'm sure it gained sentience by that time.

Well, apparently registering a ranch/animal rescue business in Oregon is a lot easier than I anticipated. All you have to do is make sure your name isn't taken or offensive and send the state $100.

Me: Ooh, that's a nice cheque from work with my commission.
Bills: Hey.
Me: Oh hey, you're not that bad this month! Welp, into savings with the re...
Strange Adventures (local comic shop): Sale on omnibuses.
Me: Fuck!

This is more an epic win for the very handsome commission. I've really improved on my sales in the last couple of months and this is the first time I received a very good bonus from it. Plus, my student loans were paid off a few months ago and I didn't have much to pay for bills this week aside from credit cards. The vast majority of my pay these days is going right into my savings account, which is really nice to say for a change.

I might, in fact, be able to move out on my own soon. I just don't know if I can afford it on my own, without a roommate. And I'm concerned about moving these days, with Coronavirus.

Friends and extended family haven't been informed yet, so I don't really have anyone to share with except folks across the world... My sister-in-law is pregnant, and was due in September. Her water broke and she's having contractions, was rushed to the hospital a few hours ago. She definitely won't be able to carry to term, but they're now going to try everything they can to keep the baby in for one or two more weeks - she's at 28 weeks today, so the child should be viable, but s/he also hasn't turned around yet and won't be able to due to the lack of amniotic fluid, so more than likely it'll be a C-section.
What makes matters worse (as if that was necessary) and definitely won't be told to friends & family, is that they hadn't really begun trying for a baby yet - they were going to one or two months later -and during the first weeks she had a black-out-drunk experience, was still smoking and still kicking a mild case of casual cocaine use, so obviously she's feeling very vulnerable and guilty and is now doubting how much it's her fault and such...
Not much I can do about any of it, of course, but it's got me feeling pretty bad, too, of course.
Little baby Collin was born today, at just over 1.1kgs (2lb 7oz). He and the mother seem to be in great health with everything where and how it should be. Probably two months of incubator to go and no visits due to covid, but as far as we can tell now, no physical or mental complications.