The EPIC WIN Thread 3: SON OF EPIC

"But... but... if you're not AT WORK, how do I know you're WORKING?!!" - Every boomer boss ever
No shit. My work forces you to log into Teams, which they force to go into "away" mode if you don't move the mouse or type for at least 2 minutes.

Silly bosses. I'm a programmer. .Net, a winforms project, a timer object and one line of code and that shit is thwarted.

My husband's job does not give a shit about what people do during the day as long as things get done.

That said, my daughter's teachers are also teaching from the school building as far as I know, but only 4 days a week.

Are they doing it because they feel students will be more inclined to learn when they see a classroom in the background of the teacher's chat window?
They explicitly told us it was to make sure that we stayed on task during the day, and worked the full 7.17 hours expected according to our contract. Heaven forbid we take an extra five minutes at lunch or use some of our prep time to help our own kids with their school work.

But like I said, fortunately our union got them to back down.

No shit. My work forces you to log into Teams, which they force to go into "away" mode if you don't move the mouse or type for at least 2 minutes.

Silly bosses. I'm a programmer. .Net, a winforms project, a timer object and one line of code and that shit is thwarted.
Jesus, I thought the 5 minute lockout in Skype was way too short. One can barely think to compose an email with that going on.

GasBandit

Staff member

Hah, our Teams is an utter shitshow. It spontaneously says we're "in a call" when we're not, or goes "busy" for no apparent reason. The only thing we use it for is information collaboration, which IMO is how it should be.

Bleh. We’re getting teams soon. I work in two languages and I need time to to write things sometimes.

I also don’t want to be on a video chat all the damn time. I wear Pika pants.

Ryan Reynolds is apparently a very savvy investor? Not only does he own Mint Mobile, he recently sold his brand of gin for $610 million dollars. He NEVER has to work again.

First day of clinicals was today. It was a rollercoaster! Felt overwhelmed, but was able to practice skills and get some confidence, go back on Friday for another clinical day, then all next week is observation only and no skills and it just rotates every week through November. Woo! I'm tired. I haven't woke up at 5am in a LONG time

Our very private back deck area is finally complete (after over a year of planning and mulling and deciding and building and buying)!

The last piece of hardware was delivered yesterday.
So I am sitting outside in the sun enjoying our new oasis.
Naked? Because that's the only way to enjoy private deck time

That video reminds me of our last trip to Ireland when I only heard 'bike' and wondered what he was on about, when the poor sales clerk only had asked if I wanted a 'bag'...

It's been a long summer and someone pinged me on a different thread that made me realize how long it's been. Quick update:

My organization entered into merger talks with another smaller organization. When I first moved here, my org had tried a merger with a bigger one and it failed spectacularly and generated a lot of bad will, national media attention, and was just altogether bad. I was just 'fresh off the boat' so I didn't shoulder too much of the blame. However, this time around it was made clear that there was significant risk to my livelihood if things didn't succeed. Comes with the job I suppose.

This was back in February with a vote scheduled for the day before my birthday in March. COVID hits and everything gets delayed out indefinitely. Thankfully the region is relatively fly-over so no one brings the virus here and by June we're seeing consecutive weeks of low or no cases so we reschedule the vote in a digital format and begin our efforts again, same issue that my job is on the line. I've done my analysis, I've done my communications strategy, I've even done polling indicating a vote result of 75% +/- 9% 9 times out of 10. (Require 66% to pass) so it's going to be tight. AND both organizations have to pass that threshold

Vote week comes and goes and the results are announced live on a phone call that I'm running. I wasn't given much of a heads up.

Vote comes in 77% on our side. (YAY! I keep my job) and we're waiting on the other side's results for the longest 10 minutes of my life. Vote comes in 87% on their side. VOTE PASSES! HOORAY!

Now the Epic News: A new job opens up in the 'new' organization - title starts with Chief, and I've been appointed to the role effective Jan 1, 2021. YAY! And it's work from home semi-permanently. DOUBLE YAY! And the kids are off to daycare and my wife returns to work next week. TRIPLE YAY!

so uhhh, I accidently a girlfriend as far as I can tell. a friend of a friend met up with a group of us and took me aside to confess her feelings to me. I was weirded out by it, and thought I had choked more than a few times, but things have proceeded without any serious mishap despite my best efforts to screw it up.

only downside atm is she is currently in California and I am out here in Minnesota. but there is plenty of time to build on how we will make this work.

so to @Cheesy1 and @ThatNickGuy please dont give up hope brothers! I would have never believed it was possible this would happen to me, but here I sit with a beautiful lady who wants to interact with me as much as she can between everything going on in the world around us.

and to anyone else here who feels lonely, that its never going to happen, I say the same, who would have known some wonderful person is out there just beyond the horizon? Ive known Vixen for years, she has been interested in me the whole time, I never had any clue until she told me, "I really like you. I just want to know if you would ever give me a chance?" I JUST THOUGHT SHE WAS BEING NICE TO ME! It took her telling me point blank to my face and our friend going "BONES SHE REALLY, REALLY LIKES YOU!" for me to go "I would have given you a chance anytime!"