The EPIC WIN Thread 3: SON OF EPIC

I returned today from Toronto where I got to see QUEEN (+ Adam Lambert) tear the house down. Holy hell, what an awesome show. Taylor and May haven't lost a step (although May flubbed a bit of the solo in Killer Queen and looked QUITE cross with himself) and Lambert is honestly pretty damn fantastic. He's got the voice and the presentation down pat.

My concert bucket list is pretty much complete at this point. I'd still like to see Scorpions, Midnight Oil and Blue Öyster Cult, but none of those rate the same urgency as Queen did.

I returned today from Toronto where I got to see QUEEN (+ Adam Lambert) tear the house down. Holy hell, what an awesome show. Taylor and May haven't lost a step (although May flubbed a bit of the solo in Killer Queen and looked QUITE cross with himself) and Lambert is honestly pretty damn fantastic. He's got the voice and the presentation down pat.

My concert bucket list is pretty much complete at this point. I'd still like to see Scorpions, Midnight Oil and Blue Öyster Cult, but none of those rate the same urgency as Queen did.
I would love to see May play. I am glad they still play as a "band".

Dave

Staff member
This is one of those epic wins very few of you will care about but it means a lot to me.

When I was young - like 6 or 7 - my dad taught me to play cribbage. We played it a lot. I picked up on the game pretty quickly and got pretty good. Dad was about the only person who could beat me and visa versa. In over 50 years of playing I’ve only seen a perfect hand once and that was my dad during a tournament. The pool had been growing for some time and he won like 25k. I won the tournament but he won like 100x the money I did. Figures.

Tonight at work while doing my daily games I hit it. Odds say 1 in 216,000+ but it just seems more rare than that in practice.

IMG_1247.png

This is one of those epic wins very few of you will care about but it means a lot to me.

When I was young - like 6 or 7 - my dad taught me to play cribbage. We played it a lot. I picked up on the game pretty quickly and got pretty good. Dad was about the only person who could beat me and visa versa. In over 50 years of playing I’ve only seen a perfect hand once and that was my dad during a tournament. The pool had been growing for some time and he won like 25k. I won the tournament but he won like 100x the money I did. Figures.

Tonight at work while doing my daily games I hit it. Odds say 1 in 216,000+ but it just seems more rare than that in practice.

View attachment 46293
That's wonderful! I've seen a 28 point hand, but never a 29.

I was off last week after 2 weeks of traveling to Miami for work. They have us float our expenses for these by paying for them first and then reimbursing us once submitted. blah blah blah you all know how expenses work. I've been struggling when we do these because of having to cover this until they pay it back. I don't love some of the places they make us go but recognize how lucky I am to be able to. During the travel, I'd spoke with a few of my direct teammates and they all mentioned the same. I was intending to make a push for a larger than average raise next year, I've been here for coming on 6 years now, and each year it's been a comfortable but not inflation beating 4.5% and while I've been decently grateful, with the costs of everything rising, it's never really felt like a raise.

I just came back this morning to a 30k raise, amounts to about 33%.

EDIT: Wait, I was tired when I did this and calculated the % after the raise. It was actually more like 50%

Last edited:
Also while talking with my boss while we were in Miami me and another coworker were told to stand up for ourselves more(that's fair, we both just let everyone walk all over us) so when it came through I figured why not and asked to make it 100k even. Said we'd discuss Q1 which isn't a no but I shot my shot at least.

I'll share some pics in the New Picture Thead soon enough, but...

Tonight has been...amazing. Tonight was Eastlink's Chairman Choice Awards, where several people working for Eastlink were recognized for their hard work.

I got to get all gussied up. I got to see my girlfriend all gussied up and looking even MORE drop-dead gorgeous than ever before. Got a free night at a VERY swanky hotel (The Muir). Had an amazing free dinner at the Salt & Ash. And I got an award for the first time after working for Eastlink for over 5 years.

A couple of interesting things happened tonight:

-I met John Bragg himself, owner of the company. I went up to him, personally introduced myself, and thanked him for this amazing night.

-Sat with I believe the head of the Business department, who seemed interested in bringing me over to his department. I doubt anything will happen from that.

-I spent part of my night personally thanking several staff at the Salt & Ash. At the end of the awards, another CEO was thanking everyone....except the staff at the restaurant. As he was leaving the podium, I went up and ask that he thank the staff, too. And...he did! He came over to thank me afterwards. I didn't do it to impress anyone. I truly believed the staff deserved recognition, too. But I was happy that he took my suggestion on the fly like that.

And now I'm back at the hotel and a little tipsy from the alcohol. It's been a good night.

20231103_222352.jpg

Last edited:
I'm going home. Or what will be home for the foreseeable future. No more nightmare Northern forest fire bullshit and the first step out of the financial and mental shithole I find myself in post "losing everything".

I'm both elated and terrified.

Also super stoked for civilized human internet speeds.

......oh yeah and getting to spend Christmas with the neice and nephew certainly won't hurt.

Last edited: