THE HOBBIT

Status
Not open for further replies.

fade

Staff member
Shivers up my fucken spine man. Shiverssssss my preciousssss....

That singing part? that was epic.
For once we may agree. That was the best part of the book. The trailer does a really good job of capturing how everything goes all dreamy and weird when they start singing.

I saw they had lots of fruit, so if you wanted you could still keep a healthy diet.

Having said that though, I wouldn't want to. I'd devour that junk food like locusts devour crops.

Peter Jackson's getting chubby again.

But shit that movie looks rad.
Prolly a lot of pressure to make these movies. After all, it's not Big Mama's House 3.... but the Hobbit... a movie that will probably be done once.... ever.

And yeah, shitload of catering available? Easy meals.

I think PJ looks much better now, actually. Definitely chubby again, but no where near the size he was on LOTR, and honestly after King Kong he just didn't look good, he was.... saggy. Still, he should probably go back on the diet after production and get himself back down to the weight he was when it started.

I listened to the audiobook while at work today. The version of that song in the audiobook... just does not compete with the one in this trailer.
Added at: 02:12

Two thoughts.
One: Del Toro did a lot of pre-production work and continued to work in an artistic advisor sort of fashion, this makeup does seem to have his kind of look to it, I feel.
Two: They filmed it for 3D, so all the colours are punched up significantly so they'll look normal in theatres. Might not translate as well to a 2D image. But I hope its not that because hell if I'm buying a 3DTV and glasses for this when it comes out on blu-ray.
Well, it's a good thing I already have a 3DTV then :p

I think PJ looks much better now, actually. Definitely chubby again, but no where near the size he was on LOTR, and honestly after King Kong he just didn't look good, he was.... saggy. Still, he should probably go back on the diet after production and get himself back down to the weight he was when it started.
Apparently, he got that thin during King Kong because he was so intent on doing everything he forgot to eat. If he'd lost the weight via exercise he wouldn't have been as saggy.

Just a reminder:

Mild spoilers therein.
I love that Gloin's axes are passed down to Gimli. Nice familial touch that also saved them a bit of design work.

Is it even possible to spoil something from the Tolkeinverse on these boards?
I didn't really mean the story, but the visuals. Any of the production blogs are inherently spoilery for those who don't want to see too much of th emoview before hand. You're going to see sets, costumes and props (Like the spoiler I tagged. Nothing story related, but a bit of background detail that I thought was exciting) you may not see in the commercials and trailers, plus if you aren't paying too much attention to the production, you may not know about the cameo appearances (End of that production blog) and stuff.

Is it even possible to spoil something from the Tolkeinverse on these boards?
You'd be surprised, I think, by the number of people whose first (and only) exposure to the Tolkien universe are the three LotR films. These people might be excited about the Hobbit film, without ever having read any of the books. They wouldn't know anything about the plot of the Hobbit.

I mean, I've read the Hobbit, but I haven't read LotR yet. I've been meaning to. I'll get around to it someday.

EDIT: Now, granted, I don't know if we have many such people on this forum. But still.

You'd be surprised, I think, by the number of people whose first (and only) exposure to the Tolkien universe are the three LotR films. These people might be excited about the Hobbit film, without ever having read any of the books. They wouldn't know anything about the plot of the Hobbit.

I mean, I've read the Hobbit, but I haven't read LotR yet. I've been meaning to. I'll get around to it someday.

EDIT: Now, granted, I don't know if we have many such people on this forum. But still.
I've read the three LOTR books, some of the expanded material, the Silmarrilion,.... but somehow've never gotten around to the Hobbit. I'm still contemplating whether I'll read it before or after the movies :p

I've read the three LOTR books, some of the expanded material, the Silmarrilion,.... but somehow've never gotten around to the Hobbit. I'm still contemplating whether I'll read it before or after the movies :p
Did you read LOTR before or after the movies?

The Hobbit movie is going to be incorporating stuff from Unfinished Tales and Tolkiens notes, that is only alluded to if mentioned at all in the book, so even if you've read the book, unless you've read Unfinished Tales there might be some surprises in store.

I can't count how many times I've read the Hobbit. I'm definitely going to be reading it again come December. It's a quick read, anyway.

Children of Hurin and Unfinished Tales I've read... And I read the original books after the first but before the other two movies. I had them lying around for ages but never got around to them :oops:

Children of Hurin and Unfinished Tales I've read... And I read the original books after the first but before the other two movies. I had them lying around for ages but never got around to them :oops:
Well, you really might as well read the Hobbit then. Then things will make sense.

I bought Unfinished Tales just to read about the White Council and how Gandalf met the dwarfs, and.... never got that far, because I for some reason decided to read it cover to cover, and all the stuff that pertained to the Silmarillion and the mythology of Middle Earth just confused me too much.

From Sherlock season 2. I got a kick out of Holmes and Watson fist fighting and wrestling each other... I totally nerded out at home and yelled to my dog, "Look Smaug and Bilbo are fighting!"

Unfinished Tales is much better when you pick and choose the stories to read. Then again I also find the Hobbit to be Tolkien's best work, so take that for what it's worth.

Unfinished Tales is much better when you pick and choose the stories to read.
I know, this is the only way to read it that makes sense. I have no idea why I thought I could slog through the stories that had nothing to do with anything I'd read. (Never read the Silmarillion. Only read LOTR and the Hobbit)
Then again I also find the Hobbit to be Tolkien's best work, so take that for what it's worth.
I'm not sure if I agree or not. I mean, I ENJOY it more than LOTR, but I do recognize that it's a great deal simpler and that it's a story for children. I flippin' love it anyway.

Unfinished Tales is much better when you pick and choose the stories to read. Then again I also find the Hobbit to be Tolkien's best work, so take that for what it's worth.
The Hobbit is by far better from the point of view that the story kept moving along. We did not get as many pedantic expositions about culture, or worse song lyrics for 3 pages with no idea what the music was to sound like...

The Hobbit was adventure and wonder... not a sociology class.

fade

Staff member
I'm a huge Silmarillion fan. I don't understand when people say it's a disjointed, boring mess. I wonder if they're reading the same thing I am.

The problem with it is that LotR seems so petty after reading about the problems with Morgoth. Oh, you got some problems with a a rogue angel who doesn't even have the bulk of his power because some short guy has his ring? Well, let me tell you about his boss, a rogue god who was so powerful the gods themselves had to come down and kick his ass. Oh, and they couldn't kill him so he's floating in space right now. Good luck with that when he gets free of those chains.

pretty much. The Hobbit is a well written story, LOTR would be great if it was suffixed with Campaign Setting, and the Silmarillion is just an exercise in endurance.

To expand from the sound bite. The Hobbit is exactly what it's supposed to be, and does it well. Lord of the Rings is an incredibly dry read (especially when you go back and reread it after the movies are out) that at times focuses more on Middle Earth and it's cultures, history, geography, and mythology than it does on any members of the Fellowship. I'm not saying it's bad (that would be rediculous), I'm just saying LOTR has hits and misses, when it hits, oh boy does it hit. When it misses, well the hits make up for it. The Silmarillion was just...ambitious, which is probably the nicest thing I can say about it. Unfinished Tales shares elements of all three, and is worth picking through. I personally love Gandalf's account of the Hobbit, a great bridge between the two books.

I'm a huge Silmarillion fan. I don't understand when people say it's a disjointed, boring mess. I wonder if they're reading the same thing I am.

The problem with it is that LotR seems so petty after reading about the problems with Morgoth. Oh, you got some problems with a a rogue angel who doesn't even have the bulk of his power because some short guy has his ring? Well, let me tell you about his boss, a rogue god who was so powerful the gods themselves had to come down and kick his ass. Oh, and they couldn't kill him so he's floating in space right now. Good luck with that when he gets free of those chains.
Sounds funny, but I love the story that gets told in the Silmarillion, I just find the actual work to be incredibly disjointed and confusing.

To expand from the sound bite. The Hobbit is exactly what it's supposed to be, and does it well. Lord of the Rings is an incredibly dry read (especially when you go back and reread it after the movies are out) that at times focuses more on Middle Earth and it's cultures, history, geography, and mythology than it does on any members of the Fellowship.
Honestly, a lot of the changes they made for the movies that one tends to be like "WHY'D THEY CHANGE THAT?! THAT'S BULLSHIT!", after watching all the behind the scenes material and lisitening to the commentaries with Fran, Philipa and Peter, I know it's heresy, but I actually do look at some of those changes and go "Yeah, Tolkien kinda fucked that up."

He was definitely more interested in crafting an entire mythology than one good story. And he crafted a hell of one, I can't possibly argue that. Nobody can. But it was, in many instances, at the sacrifice of telling a solid, compelling story.

(There are still some changes in the movies that even after hearing the filmmakers' side of the story, I disagree completely with. The Scouring of the Shire being number one. Single biggest disappointment in those movies for me.

Yeah, I really wanted to see Merry and Pipin return home as bad-asses as they were in the Scouring of the Shire. To me it was just another major time constraint. I still remember this bitchy woman sitting in front of me during RotK, audibly sighing after each fake out ending. Could you imagine how folks would have reacted if they tacked another 30 minutes onto the film?

Faramir pissed me off when I saw it in theaters. Watching the extended edition I was much more okay with it, as they actually gave him some pretty good motivation for the complete character change. Crucial scenes that really should have been in the theatrical version.

Status
Not open for further replies.