The Lego appreciation thread

What, Lego sets don't have magnets anymore?
The style of magnet that is used was phased out in 2008. The Lego group was concerned that children could swallow the magnets and hurt themselves. The most common use was to couple train cars together, so Lego designed a new train buffer bar that had an integrated magnet.

The Lego Group continues to leverage vintage space nostalgia:

The upcoming set will be a gift with purchase, likely available on Jan 1st, 2023. The purchase threshold has not been reveled, but it likely to be in the $150-$190 range.

That is a set that should cost 20€ at most.
It's would be 30-35€ if it had been offered at retail, which I would have preferred. I had a Lego purchase planned for January 1st, but it wasn't anywhere close to the threshold required to get the "free" set. Ultimately, I couldn't justify stretching the budget just to get this set.

10316 Rivendell
Rated 18+, 6167 pieces
$499.99 / £429.99 / €499.99
Available from 5th March at LEGO.com

LEGO Icons The Lord of the Rings Rivendell, the one LEGO set to rule them all

The LEGO Group, in partnership with Warner Bros. Discovery Global Consumer Products, today announced the much-anticipated LEGO Icons The Lord of the Rings: Rivendell set, inspired by the award-winning film adaptations. This highly detailed, 6167-piece set features the iconic Elven stronghold from Middle-earth and comes complete with 15 minifigures. (Brickset)

10316 Rivendell
Rated 18+, 6167 pieces
$499.99 / £429.99 / €499.99
Available from 5th March at LEGO.com

LEGO Icons The Lord of the Rings Rivendell, the one LEGO set to rule them all

The LEGO Group, in partnership with Warner Bros. Discovery Global Consumer Products, today announced the much-anticipated LEGO Icons The Lord of the Rings: Rivendell set, inspired by the award-winning film adaptations. This highly detailed, 6167-piece set features the iconic Elven stronghold from Middle-earth and comes complete with 15 minifigures. (Brickset)

In December '01, I met Mr. Z when we saw Fellowship of the Ring opening weekend. This March will mark 20 years since our first date. I looooove this set (Fellowship is still my favorite of the LotR trilogy), but I can NOT justify a $500 price tag. That said, it is so pretty and so tempting!

Rumor has it that Lego will be producing a 2000-piece version of Himiji castle, which will retail for approximately $160 and be available in August.

1677536861534.jpeg

The Lego company took an unusual approach to April Fool's Day this year. They sent a "cancelled set" to a number of ambassadors in its ambassador network. They were asked to provide feedback on why they thought the set was cancelled. There sent a picture of a mock up of the box:

However, when the set was constructed, the results were a little different...

Wow
Much bricks
Very Plastic

I was looking through my morning news feed and wondering why several sources were all making the same April Fool's joke. The answer is that Lego created and sent them what is now an ultra-rare set. Lego fans always have to be especially on guard for April 1st. There is always someone trying to prank the whole community. It even happened yesterday with details about the new Sonic the Hedgehog sets being "leaked" only to be retracted hours later when everyone found out it was a joke.

TIL that LEGO doesn't call any of it's brick colors pink:

Wild.

I ran into this recently when I was trying source parts to represent cherry blossoms.

After doing a little research, it looks like there are a few parts that Lego officially considers some version of pink, but the newest of them is from 2006, and none of them are regular bricks. Modulex had some pink bricks, but I couldn't find Lego's term for the color used.

Sorry if this was talked about already - I skimmed the last few pages and didnt see anything.

Speaking of pink, I remember seeing this creator set earlier this year or late last year and adding it to my mental wish list; It looked like it had some pretty good articulation and realistic details. Well I have since learned lego really went for realism here and included a (not) pink butthole. So yeah.
IMG_1138.jpeg
IMG_1095.jpeg

Sorry if this was talked about already - I skimmed the last few pages and didnt see anything.

Speaking of pink, I remember seeing this creator set earlier this year or late last year and adding it to my mental wish list; It looked like it had some pretty good articulation and realistic details. Well I have since learned lego really went for realism here and included a (not) pink butthole. So yeah.
View attachment 45812View attachment 45811

Yeah, it's pretty crazy. The set seems to be fairly universally known as "The Butt-Hole Tiger" by fans.

I am so tempted to buy this set. I had all four first gen pirates sets and loved them so much!
I'm not sure if it is a good or a bad thing that the Lego Group has realized that there is a pretty big market for new sets in old themes. It would be one thing if they were producing half-baked sets, but all of them have been solid additions to the theme they call back to.