The NHL Thread 09-10 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Officially started yesterday. You guys know the Drill.

I've got tickets to the Hurricanes opener tonight. Anyone else going to see their teams opening game?

Q

Qonas

I'd be headed for the Joe and the start of another glorious Red Wings season, but yesterday I came down with some sinus issue or cold or something and just in general feel beat the hell up. So it's television tonight.

Plus it's a 3pm game, and if it's not baseball (or football on a Saturday/Sunday) I won't ever be going to an afternoon game of anything.

I'm curious to see this year's Wings. A lot of players gone without the usual smart, solid pick-ups to fill those holes. Though good riddance to Hossa, hope you rot in hell, and I can't wait for his no-backboned fairyboy style of play to bite Chicago in the ass; which he has already done thanks to their salary cap situation.

Honestly, if there's a team I want to win that isn't Detroit, it's Washington. Ovechkin's got to get a Cup otherwise the media blowjobs for Cindy Crosby are just going to be extra sloppy and without check.

C

Chazwozel

I'd be headed for the Joe and the start of another glorious Red Wings season, but yesterday I came down with some sinus issue or cold or something and just in general feel beat the hell up. So it's television tonight.

Plus it's a 3pm game, and if it's not baseball (or football on a Saturday/Sunday) I won't ever be going to an afternoon game of anything.

I'm curious to see this year's Wings. A lot of players gone without the usual smart, solid pick-ups to fill those holes. Though good riddance to Hossa, hope you rot in hell, and I can't wait for his no-backboned fairyboy style of play to bite Chicago in the ass; which he has already done thanks to their salary cap situation.

Honestly, if there's a team I want to win that isn't Detroit, it's Washington. Ovechkin's got to get a Cup otherwise the media blowjobs for Cindy Crosby are just going to be extra sloppy and without check.
Grape Ape isn't going to win the cup this year I'm afraid. A single talent isn't going to make up for Washington's lack of depth.

Pens will round out another cup victory. Just wait and see. I'm hoping that Bourque snatched off waivers from DC is going to help the Pens out even more so. Honestly, not one line on Pittsburgh doesn't have an all star player on it. It's going to be a great season.

Oh, it's going to be hilarious watching the Flyers choke again this season despite having a solid setup.

Grape Ape isn't going to win the cup this year I'm afraid. A single talent isn't going to make up for Washington's lack of depth.

Pens will round out another cup victory. Just wait and see.
As much as I love the Canes and should hate Washington, I can't help but like Ovechkin. That man is just so damn charismatic.

C

Chazwozel

Pens will round out another cup victory. Just wait and see.
As much as I love the Canes and should hate Washington, I can't help but like Ovechkin. That man is just so damn charismatic.[/QUOTE]

Really? You think he's charismatic? I think he's an egotistical son of a bitch if I ever saw one. I don't dig his little after goal dances at all. I guess the thing I dislike most is the constant comparisons between Ovie and Crosby. They have two completely different play styles. The comparison should be made between Malkin and Ovechkin. Where I think Malkin works out to be the better player mainly because of the depth of his team.

And guys, if you're going to make fun of Sid do it right: Cindy Crysby.

I wonder if Philly's going to silence their retarded Crosby Sucks chant this year.

Anyway, in spirit of the thread, I am going on Oct 8th to Wach-off-ia Center for Flyers-Pens game. I guess I'll find out there.

Q

Qonas

Definitely agree the comparison should be Malkin/Ovechkin....play-style wise. But with the NHL and every media outlet falling over themselves to coronate Cindy Crosby as the next coming of Gretzmeuix, Ovechkin gets measured up against that because Ovechkin is BETTER.

C

Chazwozel

Definitely agree the comparison should be Malkin/Ovechkin....play-style wise. But with the NHL and every media outlet falling over themselves to coronate Cindy Crosby as the next coming of Gretzmeuix, Ovechkin gets measured up against that because Ovechkin is BETTER.
I wish the media would get it right.

Ovechkin = new Mario Lemieux

Crosby = new Gretzky

etc...

They never get their comparisons down right. I think the Crosby hype is correct now anyways. The guy did lead his team to a cup victory. Crosby's more an all around player where Ovie's great for racking up individual stats. In the end, to get the cup, you gotta learn to play with your teammates.

Nothing against Crosby, he suffers a lot from what I like to call Hot Wide Reciever syndrome. Malkin is a thug out there. Ovechkin might be a little arrogant with his style, but he has a lot of energy when he plays and it comes off that he really loves getting to play the game.

C

Chazwozel

Nothing against Crosby, he suffers a lot from what I like to call Hot Wide Reciever syndrome. Malkin is a thug out there. Ovechkin might be a little arrogant with his style, but he has a lot of energy when he plays and it comes off that he really loves getting to play the game.
You think Malkin's the thug?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1_pXeR-6Zw[/ame]

Ross

Staff member
My ass just got called in for my first day of work... going in right at face-off time for the 'Canes.

Ross

Staff member
My ass just got called in for my first day of work... going in right at face-off time for the 'Canes.
Ouch. Where are you working?[/QUOTE]
Blockbuster :) I quit there last June because I had a full-time summer research job that sometimes had odd hours with short notice (see: taking a pontoon boat out to different lakes on good measurement days), so I could not work at both due to my large amount of scheduling conflicts.

Now that that job's done, and I have no source of income, it's back to Blockbuster I go!

[Oh, it's going to be hilarious watching the Flyers choke again this season despite having a solid setup.
I can't consider a team starting Ray Emery to have a "solid setup."
Anyways, I don't have tickets to the sabres tomorrow, but I'll definitely watch on tv. Not too optimistic about this season, but I'm still gonna watch.

C

Chazwozel

[Oh, it's going to be hilarious watching the Flyers choke again this season despite having a solid setup.
I can't consider a team starting Ray Emery to have a "solid setup."
Anyways, I don't have tickets to the sabres tomorrow, but I'll definitely watch on tv. Not too optimistic about this season, but I'm still gonna watch.[/QUOTE]

I agree. They should have held on to Marty Biron

A

Armadillo

I haven't missed a Wild opening night since they started up, and this coming Tuesday will be no different.

H

Heavan

As a Canadian, I'm obligated to post here even though my only meaningful contribution will be 'Go Flames' even though I know we'll choke right at the start of the playoffs just like every year since we lost to Tampa.

C

Chazwozel

The red wings lost yesterday. It was a good day.
It may be a little early to say, but I don't think the Big Red Machine is going to make it as far as they did last season. Especially with Kris Draper still being all butthurt over the exaggerated great Crosby snub of 2009.

Q

Qonas

Enjoy it while it lasts, Chuck, because it won't for long. :p

The Wings do look a bit off so far, though. It's early and it's the Red Wings so I'm not panicking at all and fully expect them to win the division and be a top-3 seed in the playoffs. I'm just mentioning what I'm noticing in play, that's all.

Really, I could live with the on-ice play so long as Ozzie could just be consistent. He'll have flashes of brilliance and then stretches of below-mediocrity. Decide who you are Chris!!! Wings fans are tired of always constantly worrying about the goalie position.

Tuesday was our night! A Shootout win, but a win none the less. Glad I decided to go, since the it wasn't televised and turned out to be an exciting game.

Thought this thread should be resurrected.

I'm a Canucks fan. Crazy season so far. Injuries have been rampant. They are basically playing their farm team right now but are still somehow a couple games over 500.

How's everybody else feel about their team's season thus far?

C

Chazwozel

If the Pens win tonight they beat the NHL record for most away win streak!

Q

Qonas

Of course they do, they haven't played the Wings yet. :p

I was mighty impressed with the Bruins-Wings game. I still want Bettman to suffer the slowest, most painful death in all creation for what he has done to my beloved NHL and to the Red Wings (really, we only play the non-Chicago Original Six ONCE?!) but at least his nonsense means when the Wings get an Original Six opponent my eyes are glued. Sort of like Osgood's to the puck, he was on fire that night. He continues to be an enigma in Detroit, as he'll crap the bed one night (needing Jimmy Howard to come in and save the day) and then turn around and post a shut-out another. He's closing in on 400 wins, but is that a longevity thing like all of Favre's records or is he that good? Big debate here.

A

Armadillo

Thought this thread should be resurrected.

I'm a Canucks fan. Crazy season so far. Injuries have been rampant. They are basically playing their farm team right now but are still somehow a couple games over 500.

How's everybody else feel about their team's season thus far?
I'll feel better about it once my Wild get done kicking the bejeezus out of your merry band of dipshits tonight. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.