[Webcomic] The Order of the Stick thread

Dave

Staff member
Yeah, too bad they were seen. It isn't going to be that easy. I wish it were. These guys need a break.

Also, I realized something just now:

September 29 will be Order of the Stick's tenth anniversary. It debuted on that date in 2003. I'm going to make a post about it on the forums. I wonder if Rich was aware or had any plans for doing something?

"I'm going to destroy it."

Um, wait, what? Doesn't that just make it even MORE possible for the Snarl to enter the world?
Roy knows that Xykon is not only on the move, but has been for hours. The Order isn't in condition to deal with that and the Linear Guild right now, and they have no other possible allies. The best course of action is to prevent Team Evil from controlling the gate and buying time to regroup.

Roy knows that Xykon is not only on the move, but has been for hours. The Order isn't in condition to deal with that and the Linear Guild right now, and they have no other possible allies. The best course of action is to prevent Team Evil from controlling the gate and buying time to regroup.
This or something similar. Roy has been wrong before, but he is usually quite intelligent in most given situations. He knows the risks of destroying the gate, but he know the risks of Xykon controlling it as well. If he destroys this one, he knows there is one more gate that he can attempt to protect. And that one will likely have better defenses already set in place since supposedly the ultimate deadly dungeon. Girard's gate sorta got gimped when V unknowingly killed everyone defending it. The gate is already compromised and there is nothing they can do about it. Roy is making the most logical decision.
I have a pretty good feeling however that the last gate is going to be destroyed as well. Narrative-wise this is the only course of action that makes sense given the evidence that has already been presented. So far there is very little evidence that the Snarl is the entity that everyone seems to think it is. In one of the flashback books (Start of Darkness I think) there is a scene where the snarl reaches out and kills someone. However, and most importantly, there is what V's familiar saw when getting close to the gate rupture above Sapphire City. It was another world. It seems the Snarl has been busy in it's imprisonment.

Here's how I think it'll go down:
Belkar, V, and Durkon will all die somewhere along this arc. Belkar and Durkon will fulfill prophecies, V's soul will be used by the IFCC for the arcane portion of the gate ritual.

So I've been re-reading through this thread out of boredom tonight and came across this. Goddamn man, that's some Nostradamus shit right there.

I don't know. This one doesn't really add anything new you couldn't have guessed based on earlier pages. It seemed to me to be more of a way of taking care of all kinds of alternate ideas that might've been floating around message boards and such - making it very clear that no, they're not possessing V, etc etc. The story itself didn't actually advance at all.

That said, they're still mightily pooped, yes.

Dave

Staff member
The story did advance.
V is now held hostage and they said that s/he was safe from harm...which means that what the group is trying to do is a bad idea on the scale of one to boom.

I love it. No possession, no splicing, no over-the-top villainy. Simply the ability to take the most powerful member of the Order outof the equation for a while.

That said, they're boned.