[Webcomic] The Order of the Stick thread

Hoping that they have inadvertently made it to the actual tomb by disabling the trap. And this makes me excited to know how the "trap" works: Because it's presence in every passageway and the change in floor color when "deactivated" suggests that the trap opens a gateway only AFTER being disarmed. Normally you'd have to activate the trap to activate the magic gate, but perhaps somehow the trap itself suppresses the always active gates in each pathway.
That would be pretty clever for a rogue to design a dungeon that only a true rogue could find in the first place.

Guessing that Xykon will throw open the doors but won’t see the OotS who have crossed and reactivated the threshold. In fact it might even be likely that, since the group has inadvertently entered the true tomb, they will see Xykon’s team each time they open ANY door since all doors could potentially lead to the true tomb.

Dave

Staff member
I think it would have been funny had Belkar not been with them and the traps were alignment dependent.

Hrmpf. A long wait - and two pages -for not much pay-off.
All of what they're saying and thinking about has to be thought and said, it's just that most of this was already obvious to the readers, I think.

So some questions I have still and one irk.

the questions are where do all the other doors go to? Do they all connect to the tunnel system they are currently in? And does each tunnel have a teleport spell to a completely different dungeon?

and the irk is how on earth did the baddies spend weeks here investigating these tunnels and not think to use detect magic once?

Well...
Q1 hasn't been answered yet. If each one actually still goes somewhere else, then the heroes would still need to go look through maybe a hundred dungeons. That's not interesting, so I'd say they all connect to the same - or they'll find a way to immediately see which one's the right one.
Q2 - they all have to be different dungeons, considering the baddies have been clearing out dozens of them. They'd've noticed if they walked the exact same corridor every time.
Irk - I can perfectly imagine it from Xykon. Redcloak I'd expect to know better. Especially considering he (I think it was him?) even said that the doors outside are too close together to actually hold all the dungeons they've already done. He really ought to have realized that, you know, someone's doing some sort of magic to put them all there. In fact I'd half expect 'm to try and figure out the magic that's keeping all these dungeons in place so perhaps they can rule a bunch of them out, or even find the right one immediately.

My two bits:

- Detect Magic would only tell them something is magical. They already knew the dungeons were magical constructs of some sort.
- What they need is Find Traps, which I believe Redcloak has but might not have thought to use. He might be packing a lot of offensive stuff if it's just the 4 of them doing the clears.
- Even if they have find traps, unless they have a high level rogue, it might be difficult for them to do anything about them.

To me, this is just the ultimate example of the advantage the Order has in having a rogue in the party when the opponent does not.

Plus, this dungeon was designed by a rogue for a warrior, and Team Evil is treating it like a warrior dungeon.

My two bits:

- Detect Magic would only tell them something is magical. They already knew the dungeons were magical constructs of some sort.
- What they need is Find Traps, which I believe Redcloak has but might not have thought to use. He might be packing a lot of offensive stuff if it's just the 4 of them doing the clears.
- Even if they have find traps, unless they have a high level rogue, it might be difficult for them to do anything about them.
But detect magic would also determine the types of magic. Red Cloak is the type of person to spend days investigating and understanding a single piece of magic if he couldn't understand how it was working. The moment he detected conjuration he'd start to question why.

The "trap" is essentially like the old "hide a leaf in a forest" trope. You expect there to be a trap, and you expect there to be magic. But, if you're not actively seeking one right from the moment you set foot in the dungeon, you don't anticipate it.

The "trap" is essentially like the old "hide a leaf in a forest" trope. You expect there to be a trap, and you expect there to be magic. But, if you're not actively seeking one right from the moment you set foot in the dungeon, you don't anticipate it.
Especially when it's a trap that doesn't seem to do anything.

Magical areas, multiple types of magic, or strong local magical emanations may distort or conceal weaker auras.

And since V was doing it from the other side, he might not have the same interference.

Also, Redcloak might have detected the presence of magic, but if he didn't detect the trap he'd have no way of knowing the line was the trigger, would he? He'd just know the entrance had a magic aura.
I’m just saying he’s not the type to go “I detect magic but I don’t see a source. Guess ill ignore it completely and assume it’s nothing.”

Well i don't know how it works exactly for the OOTS world, but it's likely the magic aura being at the exit would just be assumed by pure casters to be part of the cave's magic, instead of being triggered by a rogue's class feature.

If anything the magic being trap based is the exception, not the rule.