My company's having our year-end banquet at the end of this month. Every year we have a different theme for our banquet, and people can dress up accordingly. For example, one year it was superheroes, one year it was black-and-white, and one year it was different professions.

This year the theme is "countries of the world", so we've been asked to wear various national costumes. And I've been trying to think of what I could wear. Put on a kilt and dress as a Scotsman? Find some lederhosen and go as a Bavarian? Dress up as a cowboy and talk in a western American accent?

Then my wife suggested I wear a Chinese qipao. And somehow this has become the frontrunner option.

My company's having our year-end banquet at the end of this month. Every year we have a different theme for our banquet, and people can dress up accordingly. For example, one year it was superheroes, one year it was black-and-white, and one year it was different professions.

This year the theme is "countries of the world", so we've been asked to wear various national costumes. And I've been trying to think of what I could wear. Put on a kilt and dress as a Scotsman? Find some lederhosen and go as a Bavarian? Dress up as a cowboy and talk in a western American accent?

Then my wife suggested I wear a Chinese qipao. And somehow this has become the frontrunner option.

The question here is going to be how nice do your legs look in stockings. If nice enough, then go for it.

The question here is going to be how nice do your legs look in stockings. If nice enough, then go for it.
Qipao can be long too. They're mainly characterized by their high neckline and body-hugging shape. Also, they are traditionally fastened diagonally on the front, but this isn't a requirement, especially on modern variants.

For example, a long qipao:

Qipao can be long too. They're mainly characterized by their high neckline and body-hugging shape. Also, they are traditionally fastened diagonally on the front, but this isn't a requirement, especially on modern variants.

Don't try to get out of the stockings

I will give you $100 (in ferret toenail clippings) for a picture of you in that.

Just driving home from work thoughts...

Did Return to Forever exist in the distant past of the Star Trek universe? How would Spock react to hearing Vulcan Worlds for the first time?

What is Return to Forever, I am completely drawing a blank on that?

My random crappulence is holy shit, my dad shared a story on Facebook where the huge thumbnail was a woman that is a dead ringer for an old ex of mine. It was about a Canadian nurse who attended the Stupid Coup south of the border. I freaked the fuck out, first is my dad making fun of me, because he never liked her (and he liked every lady of mine he ever met) and he wanted to rub my face in it? Second, she would never fucking do that. She was more of a hippy lefty than I've even become. Fuck you dad, you fucking self-righteous prick. You've never shied away from a chance to fucking humiliate me publicly. You asshole. This all shot through my head over the course of the moments it took me to look closer at the face and realize it wasn't her and that the woman was from Ontario.

Jesus I might have some lingering father issues I haven't resolved.

Watched 2 episodes of Alias Grace last night.

Had to watch Grizzy and the Lemmings before I went to bed so I wouldn't have nightmares.

Dave

Staff member
Been having an interesting conversation with a lady over email.

Hi,

Hope this day finds you and your community well. My name is [Redacted] and I handle acquisitions with GroupBuilder. We own a whole network of forums on a variety of topics and have been managing forums for over 20 years.

I wanted to connect with you to see if you would be interested in discussing an offer for your forum. If you are, please let me know the best contact email so we can chat more.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon!

All the best,
I didn't answer because I get these kind of things all the time. Well, mostly they are ones requesting that they be able to post and would I allow it. Kind of like really polite spam.

Hi!

I wanted to circle back on the last message I sent you. I would love to know if you would be open to discussing selling your forum.

I look forward to hearing any feedback or questions you may have.

Thank you.
Persistent, ain't she? So I thought I'd finally answer.

No thank you.
But like most salesmen, she didn't want to take no for an answer.

Hi David,

Thanks for your reply. Is there an amount that you might consider selling for?

Thank you.
My response.

No amount. First, the site is a small, tightly knit community that would be of little practical value. Second, there are no ads or any attempt at monetization on the site. It has nothing to do with money. Over the last 15 years these people have become very close to me and it would feel like a betrayal.

So thank you for your interest, but no.
So this begs the question(s). Why would anyone think this place has any value and how much do YOU think it would be worth? (I'm not looking to sell, I'm just having fun with the amounts.)

Why would anyone think this place has any value and how much do YOU think it would be worth?
https://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/halforums.com says HF is ranked just over two millionth:
alexarank.png

Also:
hf.png

source

My own opinion? The site is not worth anything significant to advertisers. We get a lot of visits, but those visits are from the same 100-200 people, so not unless they're looking to specifically target THIS GROUP. It would be like selling ad space in the employee break room. I don't even know if the aggregate contents would be worth $2k for anything other than as an enclosed population for anthropological research.

Also Dave, if I catch you selling this website to some fly-by-night huckster, I will take a week off work to come over there and pee on your doorknobs.

--Patrick

I can't imagine anyone being willing to fork over $2000 for this place.

On the other hand, we've (mainly Dave and Gas, but still) probably invested a lot more than that in it over the years in the form of donations, time, energy, etc.

Throw out an absurd number, if they take the bait and actually give you the absurd amount, let us know and then just set up a new forum somewhere else and we all migrate over there.
I don't really see this happening, but in this completely hypothetical scenario, which would be more amusing: realizing a company bought a worthless forum for a lot of money, or Kurtz/Straub realizing their temper-tantrum made someone an absurd amount of money?

If someone offers Dave six figures or more, I wouldn't fault him for selling. Anything less than that, though, and I'm sending Pat a jar of my pee to add to his doorknob venture.