Even better!

There were cheers! Someone running up the street naked with a burning flag! Cops chasing after but clearly reluctant to tackle naked guy!

COP CARS EVERYWHERE

It was a glorious kind of chaos.[DOUBLEPOST=1393010760,1393010511][/DOUBLEPOST]The air horn down the street is telling me we PROBABLY just won against the US.

Or at least scored.

It's sad that I can measure my emotional state by how many jokes I tell on Twitter.

I guess the fact that I just posted a perfectly juvenile one means I'm getting better?

I have let Jet start his own file with a 'lizard dude' in Skyrim.

I have quickly learned that kids don't afraid of anything and have no moral code.

Even better!

There were cheers! Someone running up the street naked with a burning flag! Cops chasing after but clearly reluctant to tackle naked guy!

COP CARS EVERYWHERE

It was a glorious kind of chaos.[DOUBLEPOST=1393010760,1393010511][/DOUBLEPOST]The air horn down the street is telling me we PROBABLY just won against the US.

Or at least scored.
Wait, so THIS is where I'm choosing to move? Eeep.

Someone bought me Reddit Gold today because they liked one of my comments. It doesn't seem significant enough to post in the Epic Win thread, or even the Minor Victory thread, but I still wanted to share that warm fuzzy feeling of affirmation, so I'm posting about it here.

Reactions: Far
For Wasabi Poptart:

The 18 Worst Things About Hawaii (No Really)

Yeah, yeah, it's paradise – we know. People are happier, healthier and less stressed in Hawaii, but that doesn't mean there aren't a few annoyances, gripes and inconveniences behind all those rainbows and sunsets.

Cry us a river with the below 18 worst things about Hawaii:
1. The traffic is soul-crushing

Honolulu ranks number two nationwide for cities with the worst traffic, and when you consider the streets crumbling with potholes and seemingly endless freeway closures, you'll wonder why the heck it isn't number one. It is second only to Los Angeles, with the average Honolulu resident sitting in jams for 58 hours annually.

2. Radio station monotony

With all that time in the car, you'd think the radio stations would be up to the task. Sadly, in addition to being a few months behind the mainland in terms of new music, you're likely to hear the same 5-10 songs on every local radio station. (You better really love Lorde or reggae music.)

3. You're not allowed to complain ... about anything

Try venting to someone trapped in the polar vortex and you won't be met with much empathy – no matter how legitimate your gripes.

4. You have to be swimsuit ready all. year. round

No bulky sweaters or long pants to cover up holiday weight gain – if you live in Hawaii, you have to be hairless, toned, and ready for beachwear at a moment's notice. Here's what we think about that...

5. It's a revolving door

There is a lot of turnover in Hawaii; people move here for an adventure and then go back to "reality." While this means you are always meeting new people, it also means that friends are constantly leaving. Be prepared for going away parties to be a social staple.

6. The cost of living is ridiculous

Almost all of Hawaii's food is imported from the mainland, making your grocery bill a shocking expenditure. A pack of hamburger buns goes for $5.59, almost $3 more than it costs at a similar market in Washington, D.C., and Hawaii consumers pay nearly double the national average for a gallon of milk.

7. Shark attacks become a real and everyday fear

It's not just fantasy anymore. You will meet people who have come across sharks, you will swim at beaches where there have been known shark sightings, and while the odds are still very, very low, you'll never shake that eerie feeling that a shark is just about to attack you.

8. You can't escape people

Never want to see an ex again? Hoping to avoid a colleague or frenemy? Good luck. You both live on a small island in the middle of nowhere.

9. One word: Vog

Allergy season is all year round and unpredictable. And instead of pollen causing your itchy eyes, it's vog: the volcanic smog that wafts over from the Big Island.

10. Sun guilt

This might sound made up, but it's a real thing in Hawaii. Some days, you just want to stay on the couch all day and binge on Netflix. Hawaii's sun and active lifestyle, however, will make you feel guilty for being lazy – which, as we all know, almost defies the restorative power of lazy days.

11. You'll never see a big concert again

Hawaii's a bit out of the way, which means no big time musicians ever perform here. On the rare chance that they do, like local boy Bruno Mars is doing in April, good luck getting tickets.

12. If you're not an avid surfer, yogi or other outdoor enthusiast, you will, at one point or another, feel like a second class citizen

Remember how the cool kids made you feel in high school? Surfers and yogis can do that with a single shaka or namaste.

13. Say hasta la vista to quality Mexican food

If you love fish and Asian cuisine, you're golden. If you have a hankering for spicy guac and flavorful burritos, good luck – Hawaii is notorious for bad Mexican food.

14. You'll work as a tour guide all the time – but you'll never get paid

Sure, the first few guests are fun, but when you're playing tour guide for the tenth time in two months, you'll consider moving into a studio with no couch just to avoid hosting visitors.

15. It's quite possible you'll live on a road that none of your friends on the mainland can pronounce

Ki'i'oni'oni Loop, anyone? Ma'ipalaoa Road? Ki'ona'ole Road?

16. You'll develop an apathy towards current events

When you're 2,400 miles from the next closest landmass and you're spending most of your free time outdoors, you'll find that keeping up with the news is exceedingly difficult.

17. You'll never get dressed up again

Kiss your high heels, your boots, your blazers and ties goodbye. No one in Hawaii dresses up – ever. Slippers (aka, flip-flops) are work appropriate in most offices and anyone wearing a full blown suit looks alarmingly out of place. While this is pretty awesome most of the time, you may find yourself craving a little glamour every now and again, if for no other reason than to break up the shorts and tank-top monotony.

18. Island fever

It's real, people. You will, at one point or another, really miss things like road trips, weekend getaways that aren't to another island, and unpredictable weather. And, if you don't get them, you might start to feel a bit stir crazy...

Those 18 little obstacles being said, however, Hawaii sure is pretty to look at still.

A friend of mine just posted this on FB. The list is silly.

1. Traffic sucks, but I dealt with worse when I lived in NJ.

2. Pandora or other streaming service is great for the car (plus I like the two mainstream rock stations they have).

3. True. And I have cut ties with a few people over this.

4. LOL! Not quite. Anyway, that whole "bathing suit ready" thing is crap no matter where you live. Have a healthy lifestyle year round because eventually you'll be naked in front of someone.

5. We're military. Any place we live has a revolving door.

6. Depends on the island, where you shop, and if you simply must have milk from only holistically raised cows who had their own guru. It is higher than the mainland, but you can get by.

7. Shark attacks are no more an everyday fear for me than having a car accident.

8. I grew up in a small town. Escaping an ex or a former friend here is a piece of cake compared to that. You just need to know how.

9. The vog can be bad. It gives me headaches and irritates my asthma. It makes my kids congested. BUT you know when to expect it and can look up air quality so you don't go out in it.

10. Sun guilt? Seriously? Go be lazy, no one cares! Even if you have something else you should be doing, you're on island time.

11. Plenty of concerts. Maybe just not the most popular bands/performers. Jimmy Buffet was one of the more recent big names that everyone I knew was falling over themselves to see. Matchbox 20 and The Cure played here last year, too. I've seen posters for a few of the industrial bands I like that play at a smaller venue downtown.

12. Nope. You only feel that way if you let yourself feel like you're second class. Kinda like that bathing suit thing in #4. And shaka is done by everyone, not just surfers!

13. Ok this is true. There is no good Mexican food here. The Chinese food here is a different style than what I had on the East Coast and in CA (Mandarin vs Cantonese, I think) so I don't care for it. The pizza isn't that great either. But I have also been told that because I'm white I get haole (tourist) food and since that's how us haoles like it cooked. Thai and Korean food here is AWESOME!

14. I don't get too many visitors except my parents. Too expensive to fly here. Oh darn.

15. And I laugh at them all.

16. Honestly, I keep an eye on current events more since moving here. Anything that happens in Asia is going to affect us one way or another.

17. Umm...like any place else in the world it depends on where you're going and if you want to impress anyone. No I'm not dressing up to go to the mall. But if I'm going to a nice dinner you better bet I'm putting on something nice. Slippers are not work appropriate in most places. Who the hell wrote this thing?

18. Island fever? Maybe. There's plenty to do here, things to see, places to go, etc. Can always plan a trip to Tahiti I guess.[DOUBLEPOST=1393224244,1393223849][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, this list is written as if there is only one island. There are eight, not only Oahu.

That brings up a question: Satellite? (TV and/or radio)

I'm curious about SiriusXM because the red thing in my avatar has it - not that I'm moving to the Big Island anytime soon, but I did get it here in Wisconsin because of the same lack of radio stations.

We can't get SiriusXM. My husband's car had it and we were told something about the satellite only being over the mainland US and part of Canada. I forget exactly. You can get satellite tv, though. Dish Network, I think, is the one the Navy Exchange stores sells. Looks like Direct TV is available here, too.

Last edited: