Ahaha!

I just got hate mail on my tumblr account for a calling out a very small subset of people in the Hetalia fandom who are writing particularly insensitive fanfics and the like about what's happening in Ukraine/Russia right now. I mean...really dudes.

However I love how this guy/gal was so blind with rage they didn't even spell check.

Ahaha!

I just got hate mail on my tumblr account for a calling out a very small subset of people in the Hetalia fandom who are writing particularly insensitive fanfics and the like about what's happening in Ukraine/Russia right now. I mean...really dudes.

However I love how this guy/gal was so blind with rage they didn't even spell check.
Shit, I wonder what it's like to get hate mail on tumblr! I have a whole 4 followers. Since May 2013.

Shit, I wonder what it's like to get hate mail on tumblr! I have a whole 4 followers. Since May 2013.
I have 31 followers. I'm pretty sure that wasn't one of them. XD

That said, my post about the above has gotten more notes than anything I have ever posted.

fade

Staff member
I've found my car tossed before with nothing missing. I guess they were looking for prescriptions or something.

I've found my car tossed before with nothing missing. I guess they were looking for prescriptions or something.
"Shit, shit!" Amos hissed, "This isn't his car!"
"What do you mean? Whose car is it?" Leftie looked around furtively, she heard her heart in her ears. Was it a trap?
"I don't know! Why would I know? It's just not his. Look at this shit," Amos ducked out of the car holding up a few cassette tapes and half an owner's manual. "Who the fuck has cassettes? Does he just... hate everything?"
Leftie gave him a reluctant grimace, and they silently agreed to run.

I had my car broken into when we were in CA (I left it unlocked so it's not like they had to pop the lock). They stole my cds out of the center console and nothing else. But they were picky thieves. They left my NIN cd and Lords of Acid, but took Enigma, Black Crowes and a cd of hymns my mom gave me.

Back in the very early 90's, my parents took me to a Yankees game. We drove to the game, in a relatively new car, and parked on the street a few blocks from the stadium. It wasn't in the best of neighborhoods, either. We watch the game, get back to the car, and realize the doors were unlocked the whole time. However, nothing was touched. The best we could figure was potential thieves probably thought it was a set-up because who would be that stupid to leave their doors unlocked around there?

GasBandit

Staff member
I've locked my car at the movies on christmas eve, and come back 2 hours later to find the window busted out, the hood up, the stereo and radar detector gone, the trunk open, and the speakers removed.

I've left my car unlocked almost every day at home. In 15 years it's been rifled through twice, and the only thing they ever took was a USB adapter for the cigarette lighter.

fade

Staff member
I never lock my house no matter where I live. I think it's from my parents who never locked either.

I have never seen Batman Begins, and a weird compulsion to not see said film...and I have no idea why. I loved Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises, but whenever Batman Begins there's a part in my brain that says "No, I don't want to watch this today."

There are certain experiences I want to have: be present at an earthquake, look at cells undergoing meiosis with my own eyes, synesthesia, one of those 'silent' rooms -anechoic chambers- and be in absolute silence for an hour or so...

There are certain experiences I want to have: be present at an earthquake, look at cells undergoing meiosis with my own eyes, synesthesia, one of those 'silent' rooms -anechoic chambers- and be in absolute silence for an hour or so...
That one's a pretty exclusive club...at least to date. There are some hints that it is a learnable trait, though.

... uhrm... the record for those is like 45 minutes... after 30 minutes, you're courting insanity. Hearing the voice of satan in the echoing gush of the sound of your own circulatory system. And that's assuming you don't have tinnitus.
This guy lasted more than 45 minutes:

[DOUBLEPOST=1393969915,1393969869][/DOUBLEPOST]
Would you count people who claim to "see sounds" on LSD?
Possibly, if that is what they were actually doing. I've no reason to believe their claims, of course.

GasBandit

Staff member
Better than what your link put forth. A headline and an offhand claim! That's snopes-worthy levels of myth.
My link links to other links with multiple people each taking turns in the room, thus with built in corroboration. Your guy chatted to his recorder for an hour - hardly a "scientific" testing of whether silence can drive you crazy, as the title of his video asks. That video should have an asterisk next to it bigger than Barry Bonds'.

My link links to other links with multiple people each taking turns in the room, thus with built in corroboration. Your guy chatted to his recorder for an hour - hardly a "scientific" testing of whether silence can drive you crazy, as the title of his video asks. That video should have an asterisk next to it bigger than Barry Bonds'.
There's a link to an interview with the guy that founded the lab, who says that 45 minutes was the longest anyone latest. Also hardly a scientific testing of the question.

GasBandit

Staff member
There's a link to an interview with the guy that founded the lab, who says that 45 minutes was the longest anyone latest. Also hardly a scientific testing of the question.
I said "the record is something like 45 minutes," which references both the guy who founded the lab, and the longest time any of the reporters who were there could take it. The assertion was not meant to be an actual description of an actual scientific limit (IE, not like saying "it takes 9 lbs/Sq. inch to break bone") but simply a statement of what I'd read the longest time period a person sat quietly in there was.

However I don't think the time of someone who sat in there making his own noise (talking to himself) should really count. It's cheating. The purpose is to see how long you can stand the quiet, not how long you can defeat the quiet by making noise. It'd be like claiming a guy with a scooter set the record for the 100m dash.

I said "the record is something like 45 minutes," which references both the guy who founded the lab, and the longest time any of the reporters who were there could take it. The assertion was not meant to be an actual description of an actual scientific limit (IE, not like saying "it takes 9 lbs/Sq. inch to break bone") but simply a statement of what I'd read the longest time period a person sat quietly in there was.

However I don't think the time of someone who sat in there making his own noise (talking to himself) should really count. It's cheating. The purpose is to see how long you can stand the quiet, not how long you can defeat the quiet by making noise. It'd be like claiming a guy with a scooter set the record for the 100m dash.
Did the reporters not talk to themselves at all? We have no way of knowing. We especially have no basis to assert that one is courting insanity. This cautionary note is pretty unfounded.

GasBandit

Staff member
Did the reporters not talk to themselves at all? We have no way of knowing. We especially have no basis to assert that one is courting insanity. This cautionary note is pretty unfounded.
How much smoke before we say there's a fire? Granted, I might be more prone to believing it because I have rather acute tinnitus, and even a very quiet normal room (usually a small bathroom with a closed door and nobody else in the house) will have me clawing my own face off within 15 minutes.