I read the first 20 or so Xamth novels (one of my best friends really liked the series), and the thought of George RR Martin writing them has me :rofl:.

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
So a roundabout has been put in at an intersection in my town, one I frequently would use. It took them something like 2 months to do the construction, but this week was the first week it has been open.

It's been a hilariously frightening cavalcade of near-misses and angry disregard. Nobody knows who has the right of way. Everybody brakes for everybody, then immediately accelerates because they see the other guy brake. I even saw a pickup truck refuse to play along and just drove over the top of the middle.

I wonder how many wrecks there will be before the city council decides to take it out and write the whole idea off as a failed experiment.

So a roundabout has been put in at an intersection in my town, one I frequently would use. It took them something like 2 months to do the construction, but this week was the first week it has been open.

It's been a hilariously frightening cavalcade of near-misses and angry disregard. Nobody knows who has the right of way. Everybody brakes for everybody, then immediately accelerates because they see the other guy brake. I even saw a pickup truck refuse to play along and just drove over the top of the middle.

I wonder how many wrecks there will be before the city council decides to take it out and write the whole idea off as a failed experiment.
Oh my god, they just put a traffic circle in at random at a place that makes no fucking sense near me, and even with a very minimal traffic flow, people cannot figure this shit out. It is hilarious. Like the guy in front of me who doesn't go into the circle, because cars are coming down the road, not even in the circle yet, and he has no idea that he doesn't have to yield to people WHO AREN'T EVEN IN THE CIRCLE YET.

GasBandit

Staff member
Oh my god, they just put a traffic circle in at random at a place that makes no fucking sense near me, and even with a very minimal traffic flow, people cannot figure this shit out. It is hilarious. Like the guy in front of me who doesn't go into the circle, because cars are coming down the road, not even in the circle yet, and he has no idea that he doesn't have to yield to people WHO AREN'T EVEN IN THE CIRCLE YET.
I don't know what's worse, that, or the people I've seen who seem to be under the impression that the cars in the circle are supposed to yield to THEM, because they themselves are on the RIGHT (Right-of-way, you know?).

I don't know what's worse, that, or the people I've seen who seem to be under the impression that the cars in the circle are supposed to yield to THEM, because they themselves are on the RIGHT (Right-of-way, you know?).
Well, hey, that's how it works in France. :( Seems illogical to me.

Didn't you wind up having to rename your city "Cremetoria" or something due to all the bodies that needed disposal?

GasBandit

Staff member
Didn't you wind up having to rename your city "Cremetoria" or something due to all the bodies that needed disposal?
I fixed that.

Then I figured out how to drain the river dry on one side of a dam, then put up another dam further down the dry bed, and put all the sewage outflows there, powering the second dam.

Creating a literal river of shit to flow downstream to the sea.

It was glorious.

MY CITY WAS POWERED BY A LITERAL RIVER OF SHIT.

But I deleted all my saves by accident some time ago >_< maybe it's still in the steam cloud or something.

It might suck for now, but in the long run it'll be better. They replaced a traffic light on my commute with one and it sucked at first but now its way faster on average.

Dave

Staff member
The problem is stupid people who refuse to believe that they are better. And I feel that stupid and entitled people might just be living in Texas in large numbers.

Have you ever looked at your Amazon recommendations and wondered what kind of opinion Amazon must have of you?
AHAHAHAAAHAHAHAHAAA

As many things as I have purchased for myself, for others, and on behalf of others (and the fact that 5 separate people use this IP address), Amazon has absolutely no clue what to recommend for me any more, and whatever algorithms drive those recommendations frantically try to derive some kind of pattern, and fail miserably, sometimes spectacularly.

--Patrick

Well, hey, that's how it works in France. :( Seems illogical to me.
From having driven literal thousands of kilometers in France, I can assure you, the guy in the roundabout has right of way, always, also in France. A roundabout where those on the round have to give way can work - there's one near here - but only in very, very few cases and with lots of signals and lights. Otherwise it's an invitation to gridlock.

A standard roundabout really is easy and faster than lights for medium-density roads. A bigger roundabout demands more work and is helped by drivers who're used to it - three- and four-lane roundabouts do work even at fairly high speeds but will get clogged down by idiots who insist on staying on the outer lane when going multiple streets.

fade

Staff member
Just seems like a lot of extra work to make a turn. There's one here in one of the busier intersections in downtown Houston. Seems to do okay, though I wonder if that's because downtown houston is like 75% Euro expats.

Roundabouts have been introduced in my area over the last decade. There are plenty of people who don't like them, but there's no denying that it's faster, with fewer rush hour problems.

The biggest benefit, though, is that when there is an accident it's much more frequently low speed. Lots of people go through lights at the posted road speed, and if they misread the lights there's a high probability of a high speed accident.

With roundabouts that problem is nearly eliminated - everyone slows down.

Dave

Staff member
Got a friend request on Facebook today from someone I thought was already ON my friend list. But sometimes these things happen and since I talk politics, sometimes I get rage unfriended. So I accepted and then got the following conversation:

Her: Hello, How are you doing there

Me: Fine! You know, I thougth we were already friends on Facebook.
*thought

Her: Yes, I have problem with my old facebook page when the UPS deliver my winning money to me

Me: Oh shit! So no wonder. You got hacked and this is a total scam. I get it now.
Did you spoof her account or take it over?

Her:
This is real me David

Me: Where did we camp?
No answer? Don't know the answer? Hmmm. Maybe it's not "real me".

I was then blocked and the account was deleted. I let the ACTUAL person know and they changed their passwords and stuff. Although I don't think she was hacked, just all her information spoofed when making the new account.

Not sure how getting money through UPS would affect Facebook, but okay then.

GasBandit

Staff member
Got a friend request on Facebook today from someone I thought was already ON my friend list. But sometimes these things happen and since I talk politics, sometimes I get rage unfriended. So I accepted and then got the following conversation:

Her: Hello, How are you doing there

Me: Fine! You know, I thougth we were already friends on Facebook.
*thought

Her: Yes, I have problem with my old facebook page when the UPS deliver my winning money to me

Me: Oh shit! So no wonder. You got hacked and this is a total scam. I get it now.
Did you spoof her account or take it over?

Her:
This is real me David

Me: Where did we camp?
No answer? Don't know the answer? Hmmm. Maybe it's not "real me".

I was then blocked and the account was deleted. I let the ACTUAL person know and they changed their passwords and stuff. Although I don't think she was hacked, just all her information spoofed when making the new account.

Not sure how getting money through UPS would affect Facebook, but okay then.
hey its me ur brother

I unfriended the guy whom I was Best Man to at his wedding. Ever since he married into a family with money he's become extremely conservative and when I called him on it he said that he was sick of my liberal bullshit.

Dude grew up in the projects and worked at McDonalds for 8 years until his wife's family paid for him to go back to school.

When I was in college, my mom hooked him up with a tech support job where she worked that would have gotten him tuition remission as a benefit after a year, and he got fired in 2 months because he spent all his time playing a Wheel of Time MUD on his work computer instead of, you know, working.

But no, he's a self-made man now.

Fuck him.

Dave

Staff member
Some people forget from where they came. I liken these people to the old guys who complain about "kids these days". Dude, you've just forgotten how it felt to be young. Cut them some fucking slack.

And nobody gets rich without a lot of luck and a lot of other people.

AND-downloaded...finally. CURSE YOU SLOW WI-FI!

ON THE SUBJECT-I wish they'd release the fucking Ace Attorney Games on cartridges again, this one took up more than FOUR THOUSAND BLOCKS! And during it the store was all "You may want to upgrade to-" FUCK. YOU. NINTENDO! How about releasing gigantic games on single cartridges, instead of making people buy friggin' SD cards! Which...are basically cartridges all ready, what the FUCK is going on here?

Last edited: