Facebook memories reminded me of when I worked my last shift at Blockbuster Video 10 years ago. So here's a short (2 tweet) thread I posted with some ye olde pictures.

Man, I still miss working there some days.

I know they all look the same cause franchises but this wasn't the one on Spadina was it? I remember going in that one around when they were closing while poking around Toronto and for some reason that layout is sticking out in my mind.

Edit: Nevermind, I pieced together where yours was. Strange, it reminded me so much of the other one, specifically that pillar and desk. Also strange I've remembered the Spadina one so vividly from 10 years ago.

Last edited:
I know they all look the same cause franchises but this wasn't the one on Spadina was it? I remember going in that one around when they were closing while poking around Toronto and for some reason that layout is sticking out in my mind.

Edit: Nevermind, I pieced together where yours was. Strange, it reminded me so much of the other one, specifically that pillar and desk. Also strange I've remembered the Spadina one so vividly from 10 years ago.
If I recall, mine was on Dupont & Christie. I think we were one of the smaller stores, but we were also one of the more successful ones to hold on longer than others.

why did we ever thought a wireless mouse is a good thing? Connection problems and the batteries always run dry at the worst moments. And than you can't find a new one. Anyway, I bought a ergonomic mouse with a cable and a ergonomic mousepad.

why did we ever thought a wireless mouse is a good thing? Connection problems and the batteries always run dry at the worst moments. And than you can't find a new one. Anyway, I bought a ergonomic mouse with a cable and a ergonomic mousepad.
I hate wireless mice! I didn’t like wireless headphones until I got a pair that holds a longer charge.

I have a wired mouse with a few extra game buttons. I have only ever used them for PoE as I play most everything on controller. Also wired :)

I hate wireless mice! I didn’t like wireless headphones until I got a pair that holds a longer charge.

I have a wired mouse with a few extra game buttons. I have only ever used them for PoE as I play most everything on controller. Also wired :)
I have a mouse with 20 buttons on it and I use them all

GasBandit

Staff member
I have logitech G700s, which is both wired and wireless (IE the charging cable is also a data cable and plugs in at the top). That way, I can experience the freedom to play without the tug of the cable, but if the battery gets low I can plug it back in and continue.

And yeah, it has a bunch of extra buttons.

I got a simple wired Razer Deathadder. It has two buttons right where my thumb rests. I use them for "forward" and "back" when browsing the web.

Dave

Staff member
Had a guy call me up today and he kept asking all sorts of yes/no questions where the answer would obviously be yes. "Is this David Nihsen?" "I am David Nihsen." "Do you support our veterans?" "As a veteran myself I support veteran issues." etc. He finally got frustrated and just hung up.

Remember, companies that can record you saying "yes" can use that as an affirmation to use your call for all sorts of things. They can sign you up for things you don't want, they can charge you for things, etc. Because they have you recorded as saying yes. And to top it off, even if you dispute it, they'll just send the recording of you saying yes to investigators and you'll lose.

Never say yes to a telemarketer.

Had a guy call me up today and he kept asking all sorts of yes/no questions where the answer would obviously be yes. "Is this David Nihsen?" "I am David Nihsen." "Do you support our veterans?" "As a veteran myself I support veteran issues." etc. He finally got frustrated and just hung up.

Remember, companies that can record you saying "yes" can use that as an affirmation to use your call for all sorts of things. They can sign you up for things you don't want, they can charge you for things, etc. Because they have you recorded as saying yes. And to top it off, even if you dispute it, they'll just send the recording of you saying yes to investigators and you'll lose.

I do the same thing when people call me out of the blue. I try not to utter the word "yes" to anything.

For the times when I want to answer an unknown number, I will frequently answer with something like "Broccoli!" or "Schnibitz!" because there are also many systems that key off you answering with "Hello?"

--Patrick

I just don't answer the phone if I don't recognize the number and they don't leave a voice mail.
It was only very recently when I started receiving calls from telemarketeers. We are not in the point when this calls are constant but I receive at least one a week. I can't ignore calls from unknown numbers. It can be work related, ever more now that I'm working from home.

It's funny how we missed the rise of emails and voice mail. They are available but we just don't use them. I've never sent or received a mail to a friend or family except that one time that I told Dave that I was still alive.

I was getting inundated with robo telemarketers and scams until I found out I can turn on a thing with my carrier that makes it so you need to put in a code after you call me for it to ring through. I can also put an unlimited number of people on my safe call list so they don't need to do that.

Funnily enough, now the only ones that do seem to get through are from my carrier.

Last edited:
Wasn't sure if this was a rant or an epic win, so Random Crap it is...

So I learned I have a 9-day vacation starting this Saturday. I never have plans, so I never bother doing bids for specific dates, and as a result, I sind up being surprised when they pop up.

Things are starting to open up, but I'm not sure if it's allowed to, say, travel to New Brunswick or PEI yet (without that 14-day isolation thing). Might just do a little traveling around Nova Scotia? I don't know. Seems like most times I get a lomg vacation like this, I do jack squat.