I was minding my own business this morning after parking the car, and put the sound back to the radio rather than the phone. What were they playing? F-ing Wham's "Last Christmas."
It's November 14th! The general public should not be subjected to Christmas music this early!

Last edited:
I was minding my own business this morning after parking the car, and put the sound back to the radio rather than the phone. What were they playing? F-ing Wham's "Last Christmas."
It's November 14th! The general public should be subjected to Christmas music this early!
Woody is back. Best head to the pub and have pint while this all blows over.

GasBandit

Staff member
Nissan Altima. The reason you're required by law to have uninsured motorist coverage.
Nissan Altima. The car for people with no agency in their life, and also refuse to accept responsibility for their actions.
Nissan Altima. The official car of tailgating in the right lane at 71mph when the left lane is empty.
Nissan Altima. Brought to you by fuzzy steering wheel covers, having a son who deals vicodin in the 9th grade, and a boyfriend whose life ambition is to own a billboard.
Nissan Altima. The car for people who take the trash "half way" out, leaving it by the door where it inevitably falls over and drips pink chicken water under the fridge.
Nissan Altima. The official car of using the Art department's "good" printer to counterfeit inspection stickers.
Nissan Altima. BMWs wish they could signal this infrequently.
Nissan Altima. The car so awful, when your boyfriend borrows it, he actually brings it back.

1668486932438.png

1668487144505.png

GasBandit

Staff member
I automatically read that list in my head in the voice of the "Regular Car Reviews" guy.

--Patrick
Full disclosure, I lifted 90% of that from RCR. This week's video was the new Altima.

But it was timely because I've been on the road a LOT this week and AGGRGHGHGHGH THOSE ALTIMA DRIVERS

I just had no idea anybody else shared my anti-Altima animosity.

Full disclosure, I lifted 90% of that from RCR. This week's video was the new Altima.

But it was timely because I've been on the road a LOT this week and AGGRGHGHGHGH THOSE ALTIMA DRIVERS

I just had no idea anybody else shared my anti-Altima animosity.
I haven’t had problems with Altima drivers, but I do with ALL Lexus drivers. When I rode a motorcycle I had a rule to avoid being near old ladies in Lincolns and any truck that had a gun rack in the back window.

GasBandit

Staff member
I don't know why this is happening, but I've been noticing my firefox getting sluggish with DNS lookups the last few days. It seems to get particularly bad after I've spent any amount of time on imgur - which is not surprising given how bad a memory leak imgur usually causes, no matter the browser (mostly due to how it prefetches images while you scroll through the gallery).

So, if anybody else is like me and has a habit of leaving their browser open all the time, and is noticing their "internet seems sluggish" you might need to exit and relaunch your browser. I'm having to do it at least once a day, more often if I keep going back to imgur.

It took me a long time to track down because, naturally, my first impulse was to blame my cable company, and I expended a great deal of effort trying to find the problem on THAT end, and it was perplexing because every non-browser based measurement I did showed I was actually getting really good service ( I'm getting 12 ms ping times to just about anywhere on the backbone, and even steam has been downloading at 600-700 mbit lately, when it rarely usually goes above 400-500, and is more commonly in the 300s)

I find myself with a day off in the middle of the week and hopelessly lost with what to do with my time. Anything I do feels like I'm wasting the day and it feels bad.

Spend one hour on domestic chores you've been putting off.
Spend one hour on physical activity you enjoy - a walk, a swim, gym, whatever you like.
Spend one hour on something mentally stimulating - reading, writing, puzzles, some types of games.
Spend one hour on something social - be it calling your parents, a board game, going out for a quick lunch with someone, whatever.
Congrats! You've spent a large part of the day doing useful stuff in many categories, now you can try and spend the rest guilt-free on whatever you may want to do to unwind.

If that works out for you, let me know, I never quite manage it :confused:

Today I saw one of my translators use the word "smoothen". As in, "we will smoothen the process of..."

As far as I can tell, smoothen is a real word and is grammatically correct here, but it feels like this is the first time I've ever seen this word.

GasBandit

Staff member
Today I saw one of my translators use the word "smoothen". As in, "we will smoothen the process of..."

As far as I can tell, smoothen is a real word and is grammatically correct here, but it feels like this is the first time I've ever seen this word.
It is definitely not a word you want to use if you don't want to have the appearance of being translated by a non-native speaker.

I've never seen it used.

Wikipedia has less than 250 instances of "smoothen" being used in articles. And each one I looked at sounded weird and unnatural, and I would expect a different wording from most English speakers.

Examples:
"it was the government's responsibility to smoothen the political situation" : "it was the government's responsibility to smooth over the political situation"
"the 380m long tunnel would help smoothen the major traffic intersection" : "the 380m long tunnel would help smooth traffic at the major intersection"
"the player character's skin smoothens and glows slightly" : "the player character's skin becomes more smooth and glows slightly"
"This can minimize future government-civil society confrontation and smoothen the policy implementation" : "This can minimize future government-civil society confrontation and ease the policy implementation"
"Ballet Company in London is a soft power diplomatic instrument for China to smoothen its image in the UK. " : "Ballet Company in London is a soft power diplomatic instrument for China to soften its image in the UK."

GasBandit

Staff member
I would say most use cases for "smoothen" would be better suited by "smooth out."

smoothen : smooth out
smoothening : smoothing out
smoothened : smoothed out
smoothens: smooths out

It is telling, however, that my spellcheck does not raise flags over smoothen.

I would say most use cases for "smoothen" would be better suited by "smooth out."

smoothen : smooth out
smoothening : smoothing out
smoothened : smoothed out
smoothens: smooths out

It is telling, however, that my spellcheck does not raise flags over smoothen.
Smoothened is also a noun.