What the source text said: "Workplace accidents involving any employees must be reported to..."

What the translator wrote: "Workplace accidents involving all employees must be reported to..."

How the reviewer (ie me) reacted: "So... if one guy escaped the carnage, they don't need to report it?"

Biked about 15 1/2 KM today, from Dartmouth to downtown Halifax, then back to Dartmouth, to the Mic Mac Mall, and home.

Thought about taking the bus for this adventure today, but figured it was just mild enough for a bike ride. I was right.

The bike lane on the MacDonald Bridge wasn't well cleared. It's basically a single lane at the moment, for all the snow piled up on one side. There's JUST enough room to get by someone, but not much.

Most of the ride was free of snow and ice on the roads, though. It was a wet ride, though. A few times when going downhill, I got a face full of salty water. Not fun, but manageable.

The wife is recovering from surgery and is watching an HGTV marathon while she recuperates. I'm wondering what percentage of those House Hunters couples stay together afterward. Most of them are insufferable. This particular marathon is also on the Oprah network, so the vast majority are black couples (a few mixed too) who are buying their first house. They're different from the mostly white trust fund babies (who I actually want to strangle) but no less annoying.

"I don't like this color. It's eggshell white and I've always dreamed of having Chantilly lace cabinets!"

"I need an open concept!"

"This house is great but I NEED a colonial!"

"This house is a ten-minute drive away from my mama. That WAY too long!"

It's also easy to see which episodes were filmed before the Pandemic. Prices are about one-third lower than you'd see today.

Edit: And I didn't see that General Specific just posted a few minutes before me.

figmentPez

Staff member
I've been watching a ton of Law & Order SVU while I'm on baby night shift. This show regularly talks about rape, murder, child molestation, etc. Yet the cable network this is on censors the word "balls" in the phrase "he has a lot of balls."

I've been watching a ton of Law & Order SVU while I'm on baby night shift. This show regularly talks about rape, murder, child molestation, etc. Yet the cable network this is on censors the word "balls" in the phrase "he has a lot of balls."
This is how I felt when I saw Prime Video put up the songs for Hazbin Hotel and censored the words "cock" and "fuck", but not the angel miming jacking a guy off in his mouth. Censorship is weird sometimes.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm stressed as hell. Within the next 24 hours, I expect to receive an offer letter from a competing company that is going to offer me 50+% over what I'm making.

My leaving this abruptly will almost certainly sink my department.

But I'd be an idiot to not take this position, doing the same sort of work I'm doing now, for way more money, and way less workload.

I'm stressed as hell. Within the next 24 hours, I expect to receive an offer letter from a competing company that is going to offer me 50+% over what I'm making.

But I'd be an idiot to not take this position, doing the same sort of work I'm doing now, for way more money, and way less workload.
Overworked, underpaid, and understaffed to the point that a department fails if one person leaves?
Don't feel guilty for a problem company management caused.

A mercenary attitude when it comes to work is always best. Simply consider that if they could find someone who did your job for less, they would throw your ass to the curb in a heartbeat and they wouldn't feel bad at all because it was "what is best for the company." Businesses seldom have ethical compunctions. They can always justify their actions with the numbers, as long as stonk go up.

Get your god damn money.

GasBandit

Staff member
Overworked, underpaid, and understaffed to the point that a department fails if one person leaves?
Don't feel guilty for a problem company management caused.
Yeah, and doubly so because they thought they had me trapped with a noncompete. But the remote work revolution means I can work from home and still not be servicing clients within 100 miles of the old job, thus not be in violation.

I just mostly feel bad for my non-c-suite coworkers.

Yeah, and doubly so because they thought they had me trapped with a noncompete. But the remote work revolution means I can work from home and still not be servicing clients within 100 miles of the old job, thus not be in violation.

I just mostly feel bad for my non-c-suite coworkers.
Maybe not something to consider as you're not officially hired yet, but could you ask the new company to bring on some of these people (the ones you know and trust the most) once the department inevitably tanks?

GasBandit

Staff member
Maybe not something to consider as you're not officially hired yet, but could you ask the new company to bring on some of these people (the ones you know and trust the most) once the department inevitably tanks?
I mean, I'd like to say yes I could do that... but it hasn't worked out for me much in the past.

At least they're all pretty much mid-20s DINKs, so they'll manage one way or another.

Dave

Staff member
I've taken my email address out of the contact us link. right now you try and send an email it'll probably throw up an error somewhere but I don't give a fuck. Some dipshit from Russia was spamming it today. I had like 20 messages from them when I woke up.

edit: Just taking out my email does nothing. I'm going to have to nuke the link.

edit 2: I've reverted everything back. There's an addon I might just try out for this very thing. So yay! I get to play around with the code again! (Nobody wants that.)
The contact us link is gone gone gone. In the past month I've gotten about 5-10 spam emails PER DAY and most of them are in Russian or want me to click a link to see hot Ukrainian women. I mean, I have nothing against hot Ukrainian women, but I rather doubt that's who is sending the emails.

Dave

Staff member
Technically they aren’t white.

(I should stop making jokes when I've been up 13 hours at work.)

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
So I got the offer, not QUITE as much as I'd been led to believe, but still a fair amount more than I'm making now. I'll be putting in my 2 weeks this afternoon. This is gonna be "pleasant."
Sooo... I didn't see this coming. I didn't really open the door for a counter-offer at my current employer... but they made one anyway. The CEO and CFO basically took me aside in a meeting this afternoon and showed me all the paperwork where they did their own homework from their own sources... and came to the conclusion that I was right about everything I said.

So, now, instead of quitting to go work somewhere else for a 22% increase in pay.... I will be staying and doing what I've been doing all along for a 57% increase in pay.

... I'm still trying to wrap my head around all this.

And now I get to call the guy I already told I'd be taking the position and tell him oops, sorry, never mind...

Sooo... I didn't see this coming. I didn't really open the door for a counter-offer at my current employer... but they made one anyway. The CEO and CFO basically took me aside in a meeting this afternoon and showed me all the paperwork where they did their own homework from their own sources... and came to the conclusion that I was right about everything I said.

So, now, instead of quitting to go work somewhere else for a 22% increase in pay.... I will be staying and doing what I've been doing all along for a 57% increase in pay.

... I'm still trying to wrap my head around all this.

And now I get to call the guy I already told I'd be taking the position and tell him oops, sorry, never mind...
That's a pretty good problem to have!