ElJuski

Staff member
ElJuski...

Juski...

Juice...

You're being a foodie.
I still find fast food delicious; I just know way much more about what goes into making one now, and therefore, will only eat it sparingly, drunk, or just plain desparate for some of that sweet, delicious White Castle patty.

S

SeraRelm

Is that a girl who works at White Castle? Tell us about this Patty.

Also, don't be the dude in that video I posted in the video thread.. don't be that.

Do you seriously like sticking your fingers in your ears and going, "lalala"? I don't see what the problem of knowing how your food is made is, except that you have to figure out some tough facts. But hey, enjoy being blissfully unaware of your shit-food; grass-raised cows taste different, but even without the engineering, it's delicious.
Calm down there, mister. I wasn't disagreeing with you. When they say most food today is "just a clever rearrangement of corn", I don't doubt it for a minute.

Cajungal

Staff member
A Wolverine-like mutant cow? WHY HAS NO ONE DRAWN THIS YET?! How I wish I had the mad sketching skills of some of the people on this forum.

A cigar-chomping cow calling people "bub" and whatnot... In yellow spandex? Oh man.

There is apparently an Indian place RIGHT next to my laundromat where I can get a bowl of Chana and two good sized veggie Samosas for $2.99

I have never enjoyed doing my laundry more.

A Wolverine-like mutant cow? WHY HAS NO ONE DRAWN THIS YET?! How I wish I had the mad sketching skills of some of the people on this forum.

A cigar-chomping cow calling people "bub" and whatnot... In yellow spandex? Oh man.
Someone light the Bumble Signal!

Also, the perspective on that Spidey is way off. No matter what angle you're looking at it, those legs and wrists don't work.

Also, the cows my girlfriend's grandfather breeds in the fields? Best steak ever, but for the life of me I can't eat their sausages - too strong a taste.

Also, I like the word "also".

Also, the perspective on that Spidey is way off. No matter what angle you're looking at it, those legs and wrists don't work.

Also, the cows my girlfriend's grandfather breeds in the fields? Best steak ever, but for the life of me I can't eat their sausages - too strong a taste.

Also, I like the word "also".
smiley.gif

grass-raised cows taste different, but even without the engineering, it's delicious.
Hey, we name the cows that my step-father has. Yep, we do. Steak, T-Bone, Hamberger (yes, spelled that way on purpose), Stew and Ribs. We LOVE how they taste after being slaughtered and cooked. Delicious.

Medium-Rare.

fade

Staff member
Gas's 90s gamer thread got me thinking.

I was born in the mid 70s so you'd think I was a typical Gen-X, growing up on Atari and Nintendo and roller skates, huh? Nope. My parents were both poor and strict, so I had no Atari. My sometimes-babysitter did, so I played maybe a grand total of 10 times. I had no NES. My parents forbade it. It was this terrible waste of time and life according to them. Friends had them, but again, I've played an NES a grand total of probably 10 times. I had a commodore 64, but no games except for the ones that came as source code in the magazines I checked out of the library. The SNES was like late HS and early college, and I played it even less. I really played nothing regularly until I got a PS for Christmas 1998 from my fiance.

I know lots of 80s movie references, but I'm still surprised when I go back and watch them, because I only ever saw the "edited for tv" versions a year after they came out (networks don't even show movies anymore, do they?). Seriously, for the longest time, I thought the family on the Spaceball I was the Moron family. I didn't find out it was actually Asshole until like 5 years ago. I can list every movie I saw in the theater before college: Superman II, Return of the Jedi, Goonies, ... long break ..., Star Trek: The Undiscovered Country. I'm pretty sure I was home from college on vacation for that last one. (The long break was when younger siblings were born.)

No after-school cartoons or Saturday morning cartoons allowed. I only know what they were because of occasional sleepovers (which I can count on one hand). In fact, our one 19" tv, which barely picked anything up out in Nowhere where we lived had its mast antenna struck by lightning in like 1984, which completely cooked the UHF receiver. VHF only had NBC, so I have no first hand knowledge of shows not on NBC past about 1984. We did briefly have satellite (the old-school kind) for about a year in there until they started scrambling the channels, so I do remember DTV music videos and USA's Saturday night horror movies.

Didn't have a driver's license until 19, but I grew up in a really rural area (the town was 300 population, but I lived about 10 miles away in a forested area), so the only time I had social interaction was at school or sports. Barely saw friends in the summer. I still don't really know how to get around my hometown, because I never drove there.

I played in a swamp and made bows and arrows out of wood and built forts out of bark. Played hockey in the winter with Sears catalogues as goalie pads and built massive forts of snow. My dad once got a sweet deal on a piece of bowling alley that was being demolished and for years I made things out of that wood. During the kung-fu craze we made throwing stars out of soup can lids and home made lawn darts were a big deal for a while, and so was catch the bottle.

ElJuski

Staff member
Oh. see, my family didn't want to be bothered by me so I grew up with videogames and a TV. Huh. What you guys did sounds much more fun.

One of my greatest thrills was walking into town and finding enough change along the way to buy a comic book when I got there.

fade

Staff member
I literally read every book in the elementary school library, and all the ones the local librarian would let me check out. I remember the librarian in 4th grade clearly asking me if I was sure I wanted to check out "Are you there God, it's me, Margaret". I had no idea what it was about, but I sure learned. My dad is a jack of all trades, so I spent a lot of time learning how to fix cars, carpentry, plumbing, and electric. As I mentioned in the Epic Win thread, he built our house with his own hands. I did a huge chunk of the roofing in the summer between 3rd and 4th grade.

We did have 21 acres of woods that connected seamlessly with the woods around. I spent a lot of time there. I built a cabin in middle school out of a discarded slide-in camper. I even wired it for DC electricity and found an old car battery to throw in there for power. All of this stuff I hauled down into the woods myself. I look back on it fondly because it all made me stronger and more pain-tolerant and more of a problem solver. When you face off against a diamondback rattlesnake at 10, it's different from facing off against Bowser. I made a lot of different things for fun. All with hand tools because my dad wouldn't let me use power tools unless he was around. A bunch of My Side of the Mountain type of stuff.

S

SeraRelm

I wasn't allowed to have comic books when I was a kid and most of the TV shows I watched were from VHS recordings.

(Which I guess explains why I could really care less about comics.)

ElJuski

Staff member
Funny enough, I too read "Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret" because my aunt gave me a bunch of books my cousin used to own. Again, kind of left to my own on that one, ahaha.

All with hand tools because my dad wouldn't let me use power tools unless he was around.
Same for me, not because he was worried that I would get hurt, but rather that I would end up going to far and make something that would be troublesome. I still remember the two yes two! types of manual drills that I was allowed to use, though one is really a screwdriver, it could take a bit though.

fade

Staff member
For me it was supposedly to prevent injury. But this is the man who gave me pocketknives and a machete of my own (which I wore in my belt like a sword when I went into the woods). The machete was mostly for vines, but there were supposedly a few black bears (never saw one) and feral dogs (saw plenty of those, but they kept their distance).

Heh. I remember the day my mom got me a copy of "Then again, maybe I won't" and presented it to me as if it was some kind of big deal. I read it but couldn't figure out what was so special. I decided to read "Are you there, God? It's me, Margaret" as well, and couldn't believe the resistance I got when trying to get a copy, so I just snuck off and read the entire thing in one of the corners of the library. Again, couldn't figure out the big deal. It wasn't until much, much later that I realized that these books deal with topics that are uncomfortable for (most) adults to discuss. Then again, I was a science nut from such an early age that taboos were usually just an obstacle to learning what I wanted to know, and I could never understand why people would just abruptly decide to stop answering my questions.

--Patrick