Export thread

The Super Dooper Canadian Thread (now with 47% more Canadian Bacon)

Limit: 500

Jay

Jay

Let's discuss how we feel about Canadians, about being Canadian, in this very thread.

ehBIF.jpg

LittleSin

LittleSin

How's aboot that? A thread for us, eh?!

BananaHands

BananaHands

I have this weird crush on Emily Haines, the singer from Metric. She's from Canada.

Also, my favorite band to see live is from Canada!

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I love being Canadian! Canada rules!

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

HowDroll

HowDroll

I, for one, love the citizens of America's Hat.

SeraRelm

I am indifferent about where any of you are from unless it's within reasonable driving distance.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Canada! We rule. Literally, we're in charge of the secret cabal that controls every.... ohhhhhhhhhh oops.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Gusto

Gusto

This thread needs more Classified raps:

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Oh how I love that rap.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I am working on a helpful guide (I don't know where all our Canadian members hail from):
CanadianHalforumites_wip.jpg

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Awesome. Also, Edmonton.

Jay

Jay

I believe Azurephoenix is in Calgary.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I can practically see you guys across the river from here.

--Patrick

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I haven't lived in Toronto for almost a year. But I'll be in Fredericton, NB in a month or two.

Also:

Jay

Jay

You know, I might in Moncton, NB in June. Might. For work. Maybe Fredericton too, don't know all the details yet.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Ok, how bad is it that I wouldn't immediately recognize that map if it wasn't labeled?

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I haven't lived in Toronto for almost a year. But I'll be in Fredericton, NB in a month or two.

Also:

I know. But I hang on to that because you seem to move around a lot now and can't keep track.

Also Gusto's in Ktichener-Waterloo, but I grouped him into Toronto to save space in the image.

Frank

Frank

Awesome. Also, Edmonton.
High five!

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Ok, how bad is it that I wouldn't immediately recognize that map if it wasn't labeled?
You were probably like me and got distracted by Vrii 's awesome mohawk.

Mathias

Mathias

I wish I was Canadian...

PatrThom

PatrThom

I'm 25% Canadian. This means I get to apply for all the really keen Canadian assistance programs here in the US.

Oh, wait.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

You were probably like me and got distracted by @Vrii's awesome mohawk.
It just looks so different without america attached. Also, it's way up on the world map, who ever looks up there?

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

High five!
You too? Whoo!

Vrii

Vrii

I'm actually in Brampton! Just happen to be a Sens fan.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeird.

Telephius

Telephius

Slurpee captial of THE WORLD RESPRESENT! Also something else capital of Canada that we wont talk about, else you get the North End Handshake!

LittleSin

LittleSin

Pfffffft. He can't compare to the psychedelic might that is CAPTAIN NEWFOUNDLAND.

Jay

Jay

If you're Canadian.... apply fist here, then press Like.

brofist.png

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Picture 19.jpg

Terrik

Terrik

My grandmother is quebecois...so..I...count?

Gusto

Gusto

Why do I not have any awesome Canada Day photos of myself? I always dress so festively.

Dirona

Dirona

I was mentioned! SQUEEEEEE!!!

Also:

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Wake me up when the booze arrives,
IMG_00000169.jpg

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Fixed:
CanadianHalforumites_wip.jpg

Still don't know where in Saskatchewan Emrys and Dirona both are. Or where in BC Adammon is.

And no clue where Disconnected is from either.

Jay

Jay

You sir are totally going to get a bro fist.

brofist.png

Gusto

Gusto

Vrii , checkeredhat , and possibly lurking Made Ya Blush:

Enough is enough. We're fucking getting beers this summer. Somewhere in SW Ontario.

Like bosses.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Hell yes.

Gusto

Gusto

Other people are welcome to come of course but it's unlikely.

CHALLENGE ISSUED.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I mean, I'm pretty close to there too.

That being said, I prefer to stay on the side of freedom, justice, and a lack of "u"s in color.

Gusto

Gusto

Black and white Us are so much lamer.

Dirona

Dirona

Oh, and just to be picky Eriol lives in the same city as me (the same appartment too!)

Shakey

Shakey

Last time I went to Canada I nearly got strip searched by your border guards and my friend who passed out on a picnic table got chased off it by a bear in the middle of the night. Nuts to you guys.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Last time I went to Canada I nearly got strip searched by your border guards and my friend who passed out on a picnic table got chased off it by a bear in the middle of the night. Nuts to you guys.
Sorry about that Reggie was having a bad day, not sure what was up with the border guard though.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

That's so weird, I have a tonne of friends who have had to travel to and from the States in the past few years (Americans going to school here, mostly), and every one of them says the Canadian border patrol just waves them through without a second glance while the American ones always have a hundred angry questions.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Yeah, I dont think I've ever had it so the Canadians were harsher than the americans. Even crossing on foot, the canadians were so much more pleasant.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Ventura Smile.jpg

"No, the guy with rubber glove was surprisingly gentle!"

BErt

My favorite part of the map is LittleSin's bikini Cthulhu pic under the word PARADISE...it's like the most bizarre travel poster ever.

Shakey

Shakey

This was at least 12 years ago. Going back to America was basically just a wave and welcome back. In their defense, we were a group of 19 year olds who had no plans and no idea where we would be staying. Basically we went to drink legally and they knew it. Probably just wanted to give us hell. They even emptied my vehicle and went through everything. We stayed at a campground and didn't even bring a tent, which is why my friend passed out on the picnic table.

grub

grub

I know I don't post much but I'm near Vancouver.

Jay

Jay

Vancouver?

Then that fist means something completely different when the Nucks lose... ooohhhhhhhhh !!! :D

PatrThom

PatrThom

I have one, but it's sadly out of date.
And there's that whole "heightened awareness" thing going on now that hasn't exactly made me want to run out and get a new one.

--Patrick

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Vrii , checkeredhat , and possibly lurking Made Ya Blush:

Enough is enough. We're fucking getting beers this summer. Somewhere in SW Ontario.

Like bosses.
Frank and I will pre-drink in Edmonton and meet you there.

Maybe I should look into getting a passport. Michigan isn't that far from Toronto...
Well since you don't drink, we'll buy you a Tim's coffe... oooooh riiiiight. :D (I jest!)

Frank

Frank

Why do I not have any awesome Canada Day photos of myself? I always dress so festively.
Betcha not as festive as I do.

doomdragon6

doomdragon6

WAI DO WE HAVE SO MANY CANADIANS

David

David

I'd love to go to Canada some day. My brother's family lives at Great Falls MT, which isn't that far from the border. I might have to plan something when I visit them.

Jay

Jay

Poutine goes with everything.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Damn it... I'm the only Calgarian here? I want to meet some of you Canucks! If you're ever passing through or visiting the area let me know and we can have some drinks!

I suppose I could always go to Edmonton and hang out with Frank and Chad :)

Eriol

Eriol

Damn it... I'm the only Calgarian here? I want to meet some of you Canucks! If you're ever passing through or visiting the area let me know and we can have some drinks!

I suppose I could always go to Edmonton and hang out with Frank and Chad :)
I'm FROM Calgary, but not living there anymore. As Dirona said above, we're in Saskatchewan (for now).

Jay

Jay

I woke up this morning, made some French toast... used some local Maple Syrup. It was tasty.

I feel very Canadian right now.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I woke up this morning, made some French toast... used some local Maple Syrup. It was tasty.

I feel very Canadian right now.
Real, 100% maple syrup, is fucking liquid gold.

Normally I'm too cheap, but I got a big bottle of it in grade 8 when I went to a cabin de sucre in Montreal, and I friggin' guarded it from the rest of my family, using only a drop every so often for very special occassions. Like a very fine liquer.

Jay

Jay

I have to admit, I got it GOOD. I can buy huge cans for 10$.... 100% pure maple syrup... me Gusto

:megusta:

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

WAI DO WE HAVE SO MANY CANADIANS
Weird fact; Canadians spend more time online on average than any other nation.
Yes, even more than the US, China, and South Korea.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...-tops-globe-in-internet-usage/article2355533/

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

The following internet-famous people are also Canadian:

Star Wars Kid (Trois Rivieres, Quebec)

Zombie Boy (Montreal, Quebec)

Robert Wilkinson (Edson, Alberta)

Shit Girls Say (Toronto, Ontario)

Epic Meal Time (Montreal, Quebec)

Dirona

Dirona

Also, these guys. (One of whom I was friends with in highschool.)

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

So I'm watching the IIHF U-18 Quarterfinal game between the USA and Canada. Naturally this means I'm wearing my Team Canada hockey jersey. I haven't eaten anything yet, so I decide it is sandwich time.

Enter the most difficult to open pickle jar in the history of mankind. It's an epic struggle of man vs pickle jar, with the pickle jar winning at first. Eventually, I pop the damn thing open, only by digging down deep and utilising every bit of my strength. It BURSTS open, spraying pickle brine all over the kitchenm and on my wonderful Team Canada Jersey.

So now my jersey is out on the balcony drying off after a heavy duty scrub in the sink. If Canada loses this game, it's all my fault.

*EDIT: My bad, you guys.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

:fu:

I am seriously considering revoking your rights to maple syrup over this outrage!

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I, for one, love the citizens of America's Hat.
Step One: Press Play on the BTO- "Takin' Care of Business"video I posted.
Step Two: Scroll down to HowDroll's post and laugh ass off at sig image dancing to music.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

How I learned to identify Canada on maps when I was really little:
whale.jpg

Gusto

Gusto

I live in the whale's penis!

:cry:

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Screw you! I'm the whales shit!

:rage:

Gusto

Gusto

Canadian Whales: Shitting with an Erection.

Jay

Jay

Montreal is conveniently placed....

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Seriously though, did any body else learn it that way? I wasn't taught that in school either, it was my sister. I don't think I had even started kindergarten yet.

Frank

Frank

Not me.

Telephius

Telephius

Such a dork! :unibrow:

Bowielee

Bowielee

I should move to canada. I'm, like, irrisistable to the gay men up there.

General Specific

General Specific

Seriously, though, I love all you guys. This thread just made me think of that video. :D

SeraRelm

Seriously, though, I love all you guys. This thread just made me think of that video. :D

Emrys

Emrys

"The Canada Song" makes me giggle every time I hear it.
<listens to it 5 more times>
<giggle>

Adam

Adammon

Let's just go with Kelowna for me.

grub

grub

Hey I grew up in Westbank! KSS Grad!

Adam

Adammon

Hey I grew up in Westbank! KSS Grad!
I won't hold that against you ;)

Jay

Jay

Welcome back Adammon, how was your trip? Tell me all the gory details.

Adam

Adammon

Welcome back Adammon, how was your trip? Tell me all the gory details.
Fft. Grandfather died. People cried. Saskatchewan is flat. I'll leave it at that.

Jay

Jay

Sorry to hear my man.

Adam

Adam

Wasn't my grandfather. My interactions with the man were solely limited to him yelling at me in a thick Austrian accent. But gotta support the wife and her family.

Jay

Jay

WHOA... WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR NAME.

And yeah, you're a good man. Still going to steal your pants on Friday nights.

Adam

Adam

I figured that the whole "My name is my handle" clique could use an addition. Jay, Mathias, Dave, Allen, Andi, Airwolf, etfc.

Also, I'm off to Queerbec on Wednesday for a week and a half. No pants stealing until third week of May.

Jay

Jay

Queerbec?

Adam

Adam

Queerbec?
Yeah, Canadian province east of Onteerio and west of New Broonswick.

Jay

Jay

Where exactly?

Adam

Adam

Where exactly?
Small town outside of Montreal called Laval.

No seriously, small town outside of Quebec City called Beauceville.

Jay

Jay

That's about half hour south of Quebec City... a good 2 hours from here. So close, yet so far. Is your flight directly from Van to QBC?

Adam

Adam

Kelowna -> Vancouver -> Toronto -> Quebec City

Return is Quebec City -> Toronto -> Kelowna

I'm hoping to do a day trip to Montreal at one point in the trip.

Jay

Jay

If you do, let me know.

SeraRelm

Fft. Grandfather died. People cried. Saskatchewan is flat. I'll leave it at that.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss though.

Made Ya Blush

Made Ya Blush

Other people are welcome to come of course but it's unlikely.

CHALLENGE ISSUED.

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

Gusto

Gusto

:D

grub

grub

I won't hold that against you ;)
:(

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

*eyes bank account whilst looking at flight prices to Toronto /Montreal*

Frank

Frank

As a good Albertan I threw my vote away today in the Alberta provincial elections.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

At least you voted :)

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Saskatchewan is flat. I'll leave it at that.

Emrys

Emrys

Saskatchewan is flat.
Saskatchewan - where you can watch your dog run away for 3 days.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

I'm not much of a fan of the show, but that scene always cracks me up.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

I am intrigued and wish to know more about this show.

Frank

Frank

Eh, it's pretty dry but it's basically small town Canadian prairies distilled into half an hour.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I love Corner Gas. Very dry humour, very Canadian. Best sitcom we've had since.... well I can't think of any other good Canadian sitcom. I'm tempted to say it's the best comedy show we've had since Kids in the Hall though.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I love Corner Gas. Very dry humour, very Canadian. Best sitcom we've had since.... well I can't think of any other good Canadian sitcom. I'm tempted to say it's the best comedy show we've had since Kids in the Hall though.
Stop explaining everything Jackass.

corner gas.jpg

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Sorta like the Andy Griffith Show, if Andy was a snarkasaurus?

Adam

Adam

Corner gas, definitively Canadian.

I've never seen it, but how do u guys feel about little mosque on the orator.
Heh. Prairie. Little Mosque on the Prairie. God I love autocorrect sometimes.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I've never watched it either. I've heard good things, but not from anybody I know.

Jay

Jay

292762064_9e1379019d_z.jpg

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Sorta like the Andy Griffith Show, if Andy was a snarkasaurus?
I'm too young to have ever watched the Andy Griffith show, but yes?
Most of my friends aren't exactly big fans, but I thought it was pretty great.
It did air (Or maybe still does in syndication for all I know?) in the States, but obviously it didn't really do as well there.
I dunno. It looks like just about the whole series is on youtube.

Gusto

Gusto

I've seen like 2 episodes and thought they were hella lame. *shrug*

Jay

Jay

Doesn't compare to Kids in the Hall.

Frank

Frank

Wasn't a big fan either. The characters were too fucking whacky for the show to be that dry.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

*shrugs* like I said, most of my friends didn't really like it either.It wasn't amazing TV, it was a cheap, tame sitcom. But I enjoyed it nonetheless. I wouldn't say it compares to Kids in the Hall, just that it's the best since Kids in the Hall, cause really since Kids in the Hall what have we had?
I mean, there's this Hour Has 22 Minutes (Which I think nosedived the minute Rick Mercer left to do his own show)
Royal Canadian Air Farce, which I never found funny.
And there was Red Green.
That's pretty much it, that I can think of.

Frank

Frank

Air Farce was a bunch of old radio comedians doing something they were NEVER suited to do.

At least that's what my Grandpa told me.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Oh! Trailer Park Boys. We had that too. Which I never got into. Not really my kinda thing. Though I saw the first movie,and it was actually pretty okay.

Frank

Frank

Not the hugest fan of TPB either, but they have their moments and this might be the finest moment in the history of TV:

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

IIHF Men's World Championship started today, with Canada beating Slovakia. :D

Tomorrow they play the US.

Also, what do you make of this Wendy's "Poutition" to get poutine declared Canada's national dish? I take issue with it myself. First of all, it's Wendy's. They can butt out of what is declared by the federal government to be a national symbol. But also, I LOVE poutine, it's delicious, but you can't deny it: it's fast food. It'd be like the US declaring the hot dog their national dish.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Except hot dogs taste good. :troll:

Jay

Jay

Going to Ottawa tomorrow, just for the day tho.

FnordBear

FnordBear

So question for my northern neighbors. That stuff you call bacon, we here in the deep redneck south call ham. So what do you call what we call bacon?

Curious bear wants to know.

LittleSin

LittleSin

...bacon.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Except hot dogs taste good. :troll:

So question for my northern neighbors. That stuff you call bacon, we here in the deep redneck south call ham. So what do you call what we call bacon?

Curious bear wants to know.
We don't call that bacon. Only Americans call that Canadian bacon, and I think they do it just to annoy us.

What is ACTUALLY Canadian bacon, is a slightly differen cut, and is called "back bacon". But we don't call that "bacon" OR "Canadian bacon". It's usually also coated in a thin layer of peameal, and more commonly referred to simply as "peameal bacon".

What we actually call bacon, is bacon.

FnordBear

FnordBear

We don't call that bacon. Only Americans call that Canadian bacon, and I think they do it just to annoy us.

What is ACTUALLY Canadian bacon, is a slightly differen cut, and is called "back bacon". But we don't call that "bacon" OR "Canadian bacon". It's usually also coated in a thin layer of peameal, and more commonly referred to simply as "peameal bacon".

What we actually call bacon, is bacon.

I think we have achieved a bacon singularity here. SORCERY!

Frank

Frank

Canadians don't understand that Canadian bacon BS.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Next you're going to tell me that all the toast in France isn't coated in eggs and powdered sugar.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Next you're going to tell me that all the toast in France isn't coated in eggs and powdered sugar.
Don't be ridiculous.

Eriol

Eriol

I think that's the best explanation I've ever seen. I'm going to use that one the next time somebody asks.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

If Canada loses to the US this time, it's not my fault. Got my jersey on and it's pristine.
*edit: Kay, that wasn't my fault. Canada did not play well. Only reason that even went to OT was because Cam Ward kept us in the game.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

If Canada loses to the US this time, it's not my fault. Got my jersey on and it's prestine.

Wharg?

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

:whistling:

Jay

Jay

Ottawa was fun today. Went to the tulip festival then the war museum. Good times. It was sunny and pretty warm.

Felt good.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Did you try their poutine? :troll:

Jay

Jay

No, I went to 2 places. One called "On the Keys". Had General Tao. It was decent. Then I went to "The Works", had a Burger, Rings and a Milkshake. Shake was great, Burger was good and the Onion Rings had far too much batter on them.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Too... MUCH batter?

Does not compute.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I've definitely experienced onion rings with too much batter. It CAN be done.

Last time I went home my dad made onion rings and they were the GREATEST ONION RINGS ON EARTH. I wasn't aware, but according to him, he has been trying to work out the perfect onion ring batter for most of his adult life, and he feels he's finally done it.

On to the Canadiana that this thread is all about:

Apparently the new 20s have an image of the Vimy Ridge memorial in France, and some people were morons and thought it was the twin towers with naked women on them. :facepalm:
Naked-woman-seen-in-new-Canadian-20-bill.jpg
memorial1.jpg

http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2012/05/08/Naked-woman-seen-in-new-Canadian-20-bill/UPI-93921336486185/

Jay

Jay

Battle of Vimy Ridge? Makes sense.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

It definitely makes sense as something they'd put on the money. But I facepalm at people who thought it A) looked like the World Trade Centre towers, B) thought it looked pornagraphic and C) found it controversial because of A and B.

I wonder what they're going to put on the fives? I like the kids playing shinny being on there.

Jay

Jay

Then they need better education.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

And how.
I mean obviously we learned about Vimy Ridge in school, but the way school works now, idiots get through with minimal effort and without paying a bit of attention.

After I read Pierre Berton's "Vimy" I thought somebody really ought to make a movie about Vimy Ridge. It's an amazing story, really.

Also, I will confess that I never realized how BIG that memorial is.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALSO, I'm watching the IIHF CAnada vs Finland game, and I just want to say
Phanuef ruins EVERYTHING.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

If you are wearing your lucky sweater again, you're gonna have a bad time.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

If you are wearing your lucky sweater again, you're gonna have a bad time.
Hey it helped us against Slovakia and France. (Not that Canada really had a tough time with France or anything)
Also, is France's logo SUPPOSED to be a chicken? WHY? Cause that's all I see:
France_men's_national_ice_hockey_team_Logo.png

AAAAAND despite Team Canada's TERRIBLE defense, Ward's managed to keep Finland down to 3, and Jeff Skinner's managed to tie it back up.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

And Corey Perry made it 4-3 for Canada. So nyeah. Respect the jersey.
* 5-3 Canada with Eberle's empty netter. Don't doubt my jersey powers.
I think that might move Canada into #1 in the tournament now, since Canada's only loss came in overtime.

Frank

Frank

So when Canada wins, your jersey gets credit. When we lose, don't blame the jersey!

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Exactly.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Just wanted to add to this:
Apparently the new 20s have an image of the Vimy Ridge memorial in France, and some people were morons and thought it was the twin towers with naked women on them. :facepalm:
View attachment 6132 View attachment 6131
http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2012/05/08/Naked-woman-seen-in-new-Canadian-20-bill/UPI-93921336486185/

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

IIHF World Championships:
Man, I didn't really expect a whole lot of competition from Khazakstan, but they did force USA into Overtime yesterday in a 3-2 game. Right now it's 7-0 Canada.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Apparently a whole bunch of Brits are signing up for a course taught by Canadians on how to be polite to get ready for the London Olympics:
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/dailybrew/canadians-teaching-brits-polite-195327552.html

Eriol

Eriol

Heard it on the radio today, and so had to link it:

Yes on the radio. On CBC Radio 2. An operatic version. Was kind of "is that? Wow. Didn't know there was an opera version!" This is the classic animation for it though.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Actually, on that note, my brother in law recently took my nephew to the symphony where they played

Accompanied by a reading by the author. (He's still alive, I was surprised to find out)

Eriol

Eriol

Actually, on that note, my brother in law recently took my nephew to the symphony where they played

Accompanied by a reading by the author. (He's still alive, I was surprised to find out)
It said that this was the winter of 46-47 (assuming it's true, which isn't ever really clear if it is), and according to wiki, his birthday was yesterday, may 13, 1937, so that only makes him 75, which is better than a 50/50 for still being alive.

Very cool though to have him there.

BananaHands

BananaHands

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

It said that this was the winter of 46-47 (assuming it's true, which isn't ever really clear if it is), and according to wiki, his birthday was yesterday, may 13, 1937, so that only makes him 75, which is better than a 50/50 for still being alive.

Very cool though to have him there.
I gotta ask my brother in law more about it, because they MUST have played other stuff, or else this was the shortest Symphony orchestra ever.

While we're posting classic NFB shorts:

And not NFB (CBC) but still gorgeous Canadian animation, the great Frederic Back :

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

I loved watching "The Cat Came Back" whenever it came on TV!

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I loved watching "The Cat Came Back" whenever it came on TV!
Did you ever see any of these ones? NFB shorts by the same guys behind Cat Came Back (Cordell Barker and Richard Condie), they are some of my favourites. I'm curious how much NFB stuff gets down to the States.

Frank

Frank

I was a kid that only had CBC for the first 8 years of my life. I saw all of those a dozen times over.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Frig I'm on an NFB kick now and can't stop.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

I remember 'The Cat Came Back" because they use to show it on Nickelodeon a lot.

Timmus

Timmus

One of my favorite pieces of Canadiana.

LittleSin

LittleSin

Actually not by the Arrogant Worms as the video says...its by a band called Three Dead Trolls in a Baggie.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

The whole gloating about the 1814 sacking of Washington, I don't get. I mean first of all it was still British North America at the time, not Canada, second it wasn't even troops stationed in Upper Canada that burned the White House, it was troops arriving from the Caribbean, and what's more, the sacking of Washington was in RESPONSE to the far more brutal sacking and razing of York (old Toronto), which is more or less why Ottawa wound up being the capital rather than Toronto.
So not only did Canada have no part to play in it, it was actually the English standing up for Canada getting it even worse.

Timmus

Timmus

The whole gloating about the 1814 sacking of Washington, I don't get. I mean first of all it was still British North America at the time, not Canada, second it wasn't even troops stationed in Upper Canada that burned the White House, it was troops arriving from the Caribbean, and what's more, the sacking of Washington was in RESPONSE to the far more brutal sacking and razing of York (old Toronto), which is more or less why Ottawa wound up being the capital rather than Toronto.
So not only did Canada have no part to play in it, it was actually the English standing up for Canada getting it even worse.
Quiet you!

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

One of my favorite pieces of Canadiana.

Fuck, it's been 22 yrs since I worked with Troy. I R Old.

Timmus

Timmus

Fuck, it's been 22 yrs since I worked with Troy. I R Old.
Are you serious!?

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Are you serious!?
Yes, I have photos of us together somewhere.

Timmus

Timmus

I R so impressed. You're pretty cool HCGLNS leafs fannery not withstanding.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

The Leafs fannery is the icing on the cake. Holy hell, that's awesome, dude

Timmus

Timmus

Officer_Charon, If you haven' t already you can see the whole movie here.

http://www.nfb.ca/film/project_grizzly

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Trust me, I've been a fan of his work for some time. He is something like an idol for my brother - who submitted plans to DARPA for an exoskeleton at the age of 15. My brother is never allowed to have a backwoods workshop to kludge around in.

Timmus

Timmus

I have one very important question for you. If built do you think your brother's design would work?

Eriol

Eriol

Bowser and Blue: Colorectal Surgeon Song

The final panel is cool.

OK, now here's the original version of the song "The Last Saskatchewan Pirate"

For reference to all non-Canadians that are (by some miracle) still reading this thread, Saskatchewan is a prairie province, landlocked.

And this is how I first ran across this song, as done via Everquest 2 Machinima. Warning: extreme geekiness:

And here's the guy who sang the one that the EQ2 version is done over top of. Captain Tractor's music video is awesome:

Also awesome that it was partially filmed in West Edmonton Mall.

Edit: put it inside spoiler tags to not kill everybody coming to the page.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Many of us Canadians grew up with the Friendly Giant, a wonderful show for kids.

But how many of you remember

The Unfriendly Giant!

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

OK, now here's the original version of the song "The Last Saskatchewan Pirate"

For reference to all non-Canadians that are (by some miracle) still reading this thread, Saskatchewan is a prairie province, landlocked.
I found this song one year on Talk Like a Pirate Day while looking for other pirate-y music. I like when the cop joins the pirate gang.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

IIHF Update: Canada beat Belarus 5-1 this morning. My jersey had nothing to do with it, as I was dead asleep.

This ensures Canada is first in the H pool, and will play either France, Slovakia, Finland or the USA in the quarterfinals depending on how things go today.
Actually if I'm not mistaken, TSN hasn't updated the standings after the Slovakia/ France game, and it looks like it'll be Canada vs USA in the quarterfinal.
Meanwhile it looks like two Canadian defensemen will likely be suspended for illegal hits.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Seems like I picked a good time to start going vegetarian.

LittleSin

LittleSin

Time for me to Newfoundland this thread.

Dirona

Dirona

I love Buddy Wasisname! I've even seem them in concert - in Victoria, BC... that was a thing. I like their spoken bits the most, but they come up with some catchy songs too.

(Also, I own every GBS album ever produced.)

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I need to visit Atlantic Canada some time. I've been to New Brunswick and PEI but never been to Nova Scotia or Newfoundland. My dad's from Cape Breton, and both he and my mom have family in Newfoundland, so you'd think I'd have been to each at least once by now, but nope.

Eriol

Eriol

Read the article:
A vet would have to inspect an animal prior to slaughter to confirm it could not be safely transported, as well as determine if the animal is fit to serve as food. The vet will also certify the date of the slaughter and method.

A spokesperson for the Canadian Food Inspection Agency cited the example of an animal suffering from a broken leg.

“The cow could be slaughtered on the farm and after inspection at a federally registered establishment can be processed. This meat would be eligible for retail,” Guy Gravelle said.
You need to have a vet RIGHT THERE during the process, prior to slaughter. So it's not a "hey Frank, I killed it, can you help me throw it in the truck?" kind of deal. If the animal dies before the vet gets there, it's a no go.

Reading the headline, it's scary as hell. Reading the article, it's like "oh, that makes sense." At least IMO it does.

Frank

Frank

Read the article:

You need to have a vet RIGHT THERE during the process, prior to slaughter. So it's not a "hey Frank, I killed it, can you help me throw it in the truck?" kind of deal. If the animal dies before the vet gets there, it's a no go.

Reading the headline, it's scary as hell. Reading the article, it's like "oh, that makes sense." At least IMO it does.
Yet, that doesn't make me any more comfortable with it. The factory slaughterhouses are bad enough without introducing more random elements.

And a solid fuck you for insinuating I didn't read it.

LittleSin

LittleSin

Just saw this pop up in the QI twitter feed.

nfldwha.png

Hahaha...what?

Frank

Frank

You guys have a lot of ghosts. Viking ghosts, native ghosts, newf ghosts etc. Apparently a large population of those ghosts are rapists. Or one of them is a really prolific rapist.

LittleSin

LittleSin

We do have a love of the supernatural...but I wonder how these reports came about.

Did they call the cops to file a report against the ghost?

MindDetective

MindDetective

We do have a love of the supernatural...but I wonder how these reports came about.

They probably asked their 6 friends about any ghost experiences they've had.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

The number to call is 1-709-555-2368 locally or 1-888-555-2368 toll free.

Frank

Frank

Ask for Egon.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

You guys have a lot of ghosts. Viking ghosts, native ghosts, newf ghosts etc. Apparently a large population of those ghosts are rapists. Or one of them is a really prolific rapist.
Duh.

MindDetective

MindDetective

555-CENT? 555-BENT?

LittleSin

LittleSin

The number to call is 1-709-555-2368 locally or 1-888-555-2368 toll free.
I didn't know what ot give this post. I got the reference so you get a bro fist. :p

Frank

Frank

LittleSin

LittleSin

Is it rape if it's with a ghost?

Would it even be a ghost? Wouldn't it be and incubus/succubus?

Assuming people just make up the 'raped by a ghost' thing...what reason would you have to do that? To explain your morning boner/wetness to you scandalized grandmother?

I keep asking myself more question and find myself with no answers!

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

I have a friend whose ex-girlfriend used to talk about having sex with a ghost on a regular basis. She also forgot to take her lithium a lot.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I actually seem to remember seeing a thing on ghosts where they talked about ghost rape/ succubi and they explained that it was likely caused by this sleep disorder people sometimes develop, or something.

Frank

Frank

LittleSin

LittleSin

I get sleep paralysis. I remember I had it terrible while I was pregnant.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Everyone gets sleep paralysis. It is a fundamental characteristic of normal REM sleep.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Don't doubt my jersey powers.
This is all your fault. Don't try to doomweasel out of it.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/can...world-hockey-championship-121918983--nhl.html
SON OF A B-
This is all your fault. Don't try to doomweasel out of it.
HEY. They have games at 5:45am, I'm not going to be awake.

Frank

Frank

Everyone gets sleep paralysis. It is a fundamental characteristic of normal REM sleep.
Yeah, but usually when people refer to sleep paralysis it's usually meaning that semi-conscious version which leads to the tales of demons and ghosts.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/dail...rper-painting-display-kingston-162138227.html
As the Kingston Whig-Standard reports, Margaret Sutherland has achieved a procession of popping eyeballs over her portrait of our Prime Minister reclining in the altogether, gaze both wan and provocative, as a headless woman in a power suit hands him a cup of Timmy's coffee on a silver platter.
Endowed with the title "Emperor Haute Couture," the nude was submitted to the Kingston Arts Council's 11th Annual Juried Art Salon.
My eyes burn, and so must yours:
stephen_harper_nude.jpg

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Frank

Frank

Well, there goes all arts funding for the entire country.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

That got cut long ago.

Frank

Frank

Nah, they cut most arts funding. That's just going to clinch that arts funding only leads to terrible filth that the Canadian citizens must be shielded from, Papa Harper demands.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Nah, they cut most arts funding. That's just going to clinch that arts funding only leads to terrible filth that the Canadian citizens must be shielded from, Papa Harper demands.

What Harper is really wondering is how his private art commissions keep getting leaked to the public... ;)

Eriol

Eriol

Maybe it's more that "why are Canadians as a whole paying for art, if they like it or not?" If somebody likes it, they buy it. If they don't, they don't. Don't make everybody be a part of "buying" it. Waste of money IMO. Not saying it's a waste to buy art as a whole (it's not), but not something governments should be spending money on.

MindDetective

MindDetective

I seem to recall, once upon a time, that Canada put a fair amount of money into the arts in order to try and develop (and define) Canadian culture that was distinct from that of the USA. Such funding supported bands like the Bare Naked Ladies, for instance. As always, something like this boils down to the perspective you take on public arts: Is it for general encouragement of cultural exploration (and thus you accept the bad with the good) or do you focus on the specific artworks you are partially paying for. Neither perspective is wrong, inherently, but they are clearly disparate viewpoints of public-supported art.

Frank

Frank

Nah, not gonna argue about this.

It's just gonna get the thread locked.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Maybe it's more that "why are Canadians as a whole paying for art, if they like it or not?" If somebody likes it, they buy it. If they don't, they don't. Don't make everybody be a part of "buying" it. Waste of money IMO. Not saying it's a waste to buy art as a whole (it's not), but not something governments should be spending money on.
Why are we paying for war, whether we like it or not? Or the oil pipeline? Why are we paying for healthcare whether we like it or not? Same argument can be made to virtually everything taxes go towards, and each area is going to mean more to some people than to others.

But what you, and Mr Harper, are missing is that arts is a BUSINESS, and in Canada, arts actually bring in a lot of revenue (For example, just about every American animated show on TV, if it's not animated in South Korea, is animated here, thanks to tax write-offs). Take those away, it will hurt an entire industry. Not to mention the films and TV shows shot in Vancouver and Toronto.

Take that to the smaller scale, and yeah you've got independent freelance sculptors and painters, graphic designers, etc, who are able to make ends meet thanks to government funding. How's that ANY different, tell me, than virtually anybody else who owns their own business getting to make write offs? Except of course that they get paid less for their work and are more often completely screwed by their contractors?

But if you're talking about government actually contracting freelance, that is a bit different. Still more important than you might realize.

Dirona

Dirona

:popcorn:

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Wow the picture looks really good on my tablet.

Eriol

Eriol

But what you, and Mr Harper, are missing is that arts is a BUSINESS, and in Canada, arts actually bring in a lot of revenue (For example, just about every American animated show on TV, if it's not animated in South Korea, is animated here, thanks to tax write-offs). Take those away, it will hurt an entire industry. Not to mention the films and TV shows shot in Vancouver and Toronto.
They shouldn't. Just as virtually any other business shouldn't either. I'm sure that somebody could probably make a case as to why it's beneficial to subsidize some businesses for the good of all, but even that isn't a good enough reason. Government should be involved in certain areas because it's essential for them to be involved, not because it would be beneficial for them to be involved. That's the difference in my eyes.

Now with many industries, we (and other nations) have painted ourselves into a corner. If one nation gives subsidies, then almost all are "forced" to in order to compete. If none gave subsidies, it would all be a level playing field still. But even that is not a good enough reason IMO. If an industry can't survive without government handouts, then why are we hurting ourselves by supporting it?
Take that to the smaller scale, and yeah you've got independent freelance sculptors and painters, graphic designers, etc, who are able to make ends meet thanks to government funding. How's that ANY different, tell me, than virtually anybody else who owns their own business getting to make write offs? Except of course that they get paid less for their work and are more often completely screwed by their contractors?
Because one is lowering taxes, and the other is a hand-out. I think subsidies of ALL kinds are a load of crap. I'm not singling out the art industry.

And I'd say if you want to continue, we do have a politics forum. I'm more OK arguing there than here, which is more lighthearted.

Adam

Adam

There's a politics forum!? I know where I'M hanging out Friday night!

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Don't say I warned you!

Lynne_canada.jpg
rcmp.jpg
ssg06.jpg
toronto_babe.jpg

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

wait wait wait...

There's politics in canada?

:eww:
We're an anarcho-syndicalist commune. We take it in turns to act as a sort of executive officer for the week. But all the decisions of that officer have to be ratified at a special biweekly meeting by a simple majority in the case of purely internal affairs, but by a two-thirds majority in the case of more serious matters

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

They shouldn't. Just as virtually any other business shouldn't either. I'm sure that somebody could probably make a case as to why it's beneficial to subsidize some businesses for the good of all, but even that isn't a good enough reason. Government should be involved in certain areas because it's essential for them to be involved, not because it would be beneficial for them to be involved. That's the difference in my eyes.

Now with many industries, we (and other nations) have painted ourselves into a corner. If one nation gives subsidies, then almost all are "forced" to in order to compete. If none gave subsidies, it would all be a level playing field still. But even that is not a good enough reason IMO. If an industry can't survive without government handouts, then why are we hurting ourselves by supporting it?

Because one is lowering taxes, and the other is a hand-out. I think subsidies of ALL kinds are a load of crap. I'm not singling out the art industry.

And I'd say if you want to continue, we do have a politics forum. I'm more OK arguing there than here, which is more lighthearted.
Enh, I don't really feel like arguing the point. I'm really only bothered when people group arts alone as it's own seperate thing that is somehow lesser than and beneath other forms of business. Other than that, while I may disagree, the issues not as important to me. And really I don't completely disagree, in many cases the only reason this subsidizing exists is because it keeps it here rather than elsewhere.
And you're right, this is not the thread for political arguments. This is the thread for celebrating Canada (see HCGLNS' post above).

So with that in mind, how's everyone's Victoria Day weekend? I don't really have any plans for it unfortunately. Going to be working through it. But hopefully I can find some time to sit out on the balcony with a beer or at least go for a walk. The weather in Toronto this weekend looks to be amazing.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Frank

Frank

Baffling.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I don't think she'll win tomorrow night, but she looks great!

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I thought she was disallowed? Or is that not who I think it is?

Timmus

Timmus

I'm getting drunk with my parents and the cast of my mom's community funded original opera project. So go Canada!

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I thought she was disallowed? Or is that not who I think it is?
No they changed their minds and let her compete when their lawyers said, "Really? Really!"

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

“We were pretty upset when we saw the painting,” David Morelli, spokesman for Tim Hortons, told QMI Agency. “We'd never flip the tab on a hot coffee before serving a naked customer. Obvious safety hazard.”

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

No they changed their minds and let her compete when their lawyers said, "Really? Really!"
Ok, I'm lost, who is she?

And why am I suddenly interested in this Canadialand you speak of?

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

She is Jenna Talackova, a contestant in the Miss Universe Canada Pageant.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Oh! The transgender woman. I did read about that, but somehow I completely missed that it was taking place in Canada. I thought that kind of hooplah was strictly American.

Glad to know they finally came to their senses.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

“We were pretty upset when we saw the painting,” David Morelli, spokesman for Tim Hortons, told QMI Agency. “We'd never flip the tab on a hot coffee before serving a naked customer. Obvious safety hazard.”
I hope this is an actual quote.

SeraRelm

Your country is viewed as subpar based solely on a combination of geographical location and minor, superficial differences!

/Sick burn.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

So Jenna didn`t win, but that was expected. This was her first pageant. But she take home a share of the prize for Miss Congeniality. Only in Canada could there be a 4 way tie for that title.

Sahar Biniaz won the title of Miss Universe Canada 2012, you may remember her from such roles as Kali in Sanctuary or Hawkgirl in Smallville.

And you read that in Troy McClures voice.

LittleSin

LittleSin

It's the May 24th week end!

What are ya at?

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Well the kids are finally asleep after a lot of crazy shenanigans, so now it's time for a

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

It's the May 24th week end!

What are ya at?
Sittin' here, working...

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

This movie just popped into my head again. If you guys haven't seen it you really aught to. It's a favourite of mine, though it has been ages since I saw it.
It's based on the "Black Devils" The WW2 unit made up of Canadians and Americans that basically amounts to the world's first special forces team.
It takes some liberties with history, most amusingly turning the Americans from exceptional soldiers who were specially selected just as the Canadians were, into scoundrels cleared out of military prisons.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

The recently recognized national Canadian Tartan is actually the tartan of the Black Devils.
Sorry mate, they're not even close in colour.

Maple Leaf Tartan

Devils Brigade Tartan

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Well that was some excellent reporting by the Toronto Star then. :Leyla:
Also, first time I've actually seen the National tartan in colour. The artice I read only had a black and white photo.
(Yes, it was an ACTUAL paper and ink newspaper. They still make those. )

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Well that was some excellent reporting by the Toronto Star then.
You're just trying to make me jealous. The Chronicle Herald once spelled Hospital with and 8. On the front page, above the fold...

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Well that was some excellent reporting by the Toronto Star then. :Leyla:
Also, first time I've actually seen the National tartan in colour. The artice I read only had a black and white photo.
(Yes, it was an ACTUAL paper and ink newspaper. They still make those. )
Don't all tartans look alike in black and white?

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Don't all tartans look alike in black and white?
Well no, not exactly. Patterns differ (Heck, even the two HCGLNS just posted are actually pretty different even aside from colour), but the article my then roommate brought home referred in writing to the tartans as being the same.

:ninja:It is also not entirely outside the realm of possibility that my memory is hazey and I'm just getting the two stories mixed in my mind, as both tartans were officially recognized around the same time last year. But I definitely seem to remember reading it. :ninja:

Frank

Frank

You fuckin' tarties.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

This is a real bummer:
http://www.tsn.ca/boxing/story/?id=395904

Seems like she started losing just when it mattered msot. There are 4 spots left that are decided by committe so there's still a slim chance she'll make it in. She was supposed to be our biggest medal hopeful for this year. And as a Spencer with a long history of boxing in my family, and as someone who finds the summer Olympics insanely boring, seeing her boxing matches was the only event I planned on watching.

Hopefully she's selected by the committee and performs as she has in the past.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

This is a little old now but I felt it was a good time to dust it off:

BananaHands

BananaHands

Too lazy to look up if this has been posted already.

Timmus

Timmus

I has not been.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

No, but we al love us some Kate Beaton.

Timmus

Timmus

I enjoyed this one when it popped up on my facebook feed.

Eriol

Eriol

How old is that one btw? I'm curious because there's a video version of the same concept here: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/loadingreadyrun/1852-Canada-is-Sorry

Timmus

Timmus

Seems fairly recent. Don't really know all that much about it though. Sorry about that...

SeraRelm

Kate Beaton allows me to forgive almost anything Canada does.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Union Station subway flooded yesterday (Union is the hub of the Toronto Subway system, as it is alsothe Via Rail and Go station for Toronto).
UnionStation Flood.jpg

https://twitter.com/thirdbeat/status/208690678769782784

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Doesn't surprise me at all. The way music copyright is handled in Canada is a joke. I have a friend who works there, and even though this one office building handles about 95% of all the music copyright cases in Canada, they've still undergone massive hour cutting and layoffs in the past few years just to stay a float. It was supposed to be a full time job for him and they cut him down to about 10hours a week. He was making more working at Canadian Tire.

Timmus

Timmus

Union Station flooded yesterday (Union is the hub of the Toronto Subway system, as well as the Via Rail and Go station for Toronto).
View attachment 6630
https://twitter.com/thirdbeat/status/208690678769782784
You know that guy?! Are you going to his wedding?

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Huh?
I got the image off a friend's facebook feed. But felt I needed to source the twitter it came from originally.

Timmus

Timmus

I meant the cartoon log driver.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Well, that is definitely a bit extreme.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Let's all take a moment to be thankful we don't live in the Territories
http://www.buzzfeed.com/katienotopoulos/insane-food-prices-in-northern-canada

Frank

Frank

I'm in the territories right now and it isn't that bad here.

Gotta love commenters on articles like that, talking about how glad they are that chips are that expensive and shit like that saying they should go back to their tribes old ways. You know we made many of their tribes old ways illegal right?

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I'm in the territories right now and it isn't that bad here.

Gotta love commenters on articles like that, talking about how glad they are that chips are that expensive and shit like that saying they should go back to their tribes old ways. You know we made many of their tribes old ways illegal right?
Also the commentors who say they "chose" to live there.
*eye roll*

blotsfan

blotsfan

On the other hand, if the prices were forcibly lowered, the supermarkets might just close up shop, making it much harder to get food.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Now that I am settled in to my apartment in the GTA's taint (It ain't Mississauga, it ain't Brampton and it ain't Etobicoke.), and now that Gusto has his own sweet ride, I think we need to actually make an effort to make sure a GTA Halforums meet up happens.

Not sure where in Brampton Vrii lives, but I'm like two blocks south of the Mississauga/ Brampton border. I know Waterloo's a fair ways away from here, but I think since transportation is definitely a hurdle regardless of where we go, somewhere near Vrii and I is probably best, because at least that way you'd have a place to stay the night.

Is Made Ya Blush still around or has she abandoned the forum?

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Now that I am settled in to my apartment in the GTA's taint (It ain't Mississauga, it ain't Brampton and it ain't Etobicoke.), and now that Gusto has his own sweet ride, I think we need to actually make an effort to make sure a GTA Halforums meet up happens.

Not sure where in Brampton Vrii lives, but I'm like two blocks south of the Mississauga/ Brampton border. I know Waterloo's a fair ways away from here, but I think since transportation is definitely a hurdle regardless of where we go, somewhere near Vrii and I is probably best, because at least that way you'd have a place to stay the night.

Is Made Ya Blush still around or has she abandoned the forum?
I'm in Toronto sometime this summer... Hopefully I can meet some/all of y'all

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Toronto is a mere $3 and like 20min away from me. Give me a heads up and I'm absolutely down.
Provided it's not the same weekend I have to go to my friend's dumb wedding.

Vrii

Vrii

I'm a bit south of downtown Brampton, not too far off from Mississauga. Toronto is generally pretty doable for me as well!

Gusto

Gusto

Pick a weekend and I'll definitely try to get it off. My job right now is kinda spotty but damnit I'll try. :)

Jay

Jay

I'll probably be in New Brunswick in mid-July. Anyone live there? Cities are unsure of but most likely Fredericton and Moncton.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Nick is in Fredericton and I visit the place often enough. You driving or flying?

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I'll probably be in New Brunswick in mid-July. Anyone live there? Cities are unsure of but most likely Fredericton and Moncton.
ThatNickGuy

Jay

Jay

Isn't he in the U.S?

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Was. He's moved back to NB though.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Jay is coming to New Brunswick?!

Jay

Jay

Yes

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

:eek:

:aaah:

:D

Jay

Jay

You're back in Canada?

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Fredericton, yeah. Been back since about June 1.

Jay

Jay

I'll let you know the details then when I'll be informed of the project details.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Pick a weekend and I'll definitely try to get it off. My job right now is kinda spotty but damnit I'll try. :)
I know that feeling. I've been having technical difficulties for like two weeks now that have made it impossible for me to do my job, and my contract is coming to an end soon. So for the next little bit I'm haulin' ass, and I don't even know if I have a job come July or not.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I'm a bit south of downtown Brampton, not too far off from Mississauga. Toronto is generally pretty doable for me as well!
You may actually be fairly close by. :confused: I'm in Malton.

I strongly suggest that either we venture into Brampton, or we go all out and head to Toronto, because there aren't any bars or anything anywhere near me (There are two strip joints though. I found them while walking around looking for somewhere to watch game 5 of the playoffs)
Added at: 21:04
AAAAAAAUGH I wanna know!
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2012/06/14/wdr-mary-spencer-boxing-decision.html?cmp=rss
Let her box, dammit. I don't give a crap about any of the events in the summer Olympics, but let this woman box and I'll watch every one of her matches.

Gusto

Gusto

Whatever works, guys, as long as I can park/crash somewhere.

Jay

Jay

ThatNickGuy

So, basically I got 2 install sites... one is at Moncton and the other at Dalhousie.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

ThatNickGuy

So, basically I got 2 install sites... one is at Moncton and the other at Dalhousie.
Go on.

Jay

Jay

Which doesn't even have an airport... I have to drive for 4 hours.....

My face right now

BgjTs.gif

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

You fly into Halifax do the Dalhousie install then drive to 2.5 hours to Moncton, past the plains of howling winds, through the pass of confounded stupidity, over the towering marshes before arriving at the village of morons.

Jay

Jay

http://goo.gl/maps/VKwa

?
Added at: 15:38
IMO you and Nick drive up to Moncton and we have a HF dinner summit.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Oh Dalhousie NB, that's much worse. I thought you meant Dalhousie University.

Made Ya Blush

Made Ya Blush

Toronto is a mere $3 and like 20min away from me. Give me a heads up and I'm absolutely down.
Provided it's not the same weekend I have to go to my friend's dumb wedding.

I'm around, but crazy busy between work, and exams coming up for school. I am hitting up a karaoke bar tonight with some friends etc. The more the merrier. If you want to come out send me a pm and I'll give you my info etc...

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Nick drive up to Moncton...
*looks at his distinct lack of a motor vehicle*

Yeah, that's not happening.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Nick is too cowardly to travel the Dead Zone to Moncton.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Moncton sucks.

Just saying.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

It's only a 10 hour bike ride.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

If I were in better shape, I would honestly consider it.

Right now, I can't even bike up the hill from downtown Fredericton.

Then again, that's a really steep flipping climb.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I seem to be the only one who's been following this story, nonetheless, I had to post this:
Canadian boxer Mary Spencer has earned a wildcard to box at the London 2012 Olympics, reports say.
http://www.thestar.com/sports/londo...given-wildcard-to-box-at-olympics-reports-say

After a month of waiting and uncertainty, Canadian boxer Mary Spencer was given a second chance on Monday to compete at the Olympics, winning a wildcard spot at the Games in London following an extended round of deliberation from an international panel.
http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012...mary-spencer-will-get-to-compete-at-olympics/

For her own part, Spencer has spent the past four weeks preparing for the Games, despite the uncertainty that surrounded her own participation.
"I'm not waiting to hear about a wild card....I'm training for the Olympics!!" She posted to her Twitter account, late last month.
http://www.ctvolympics.ca/combat-sports/news/article/mary-spencer-will-fight-the-games.html

Hey! I care about the summer Olympics for the first time ever. I say good move, IOC.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I know way less geography than I thought I did.
http://www.travelpod.com/traveler-iq/canada

Timmus

Timmus

Me too but I found Ontario was super easy to fake.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

For the most part Ontario= click in the general vicinity of either Toronto or Ottawa. I knew most of Ontario, naturally, but when it came to Quebec all I could do was click along the St. Lawrence and hope for the best (This, combined with what little knowledge of Quebec geography I have, was enough. It is when I get to BC that I fail.)

Necronic

Necronic

There was a piece on NPR last night about The War of 1812, and how it usually gets all of a couple days at most in an American classroom, and how it gets weeks to months in a Canadian one. It reminded me of Bison's quote from Street Fighter (modified here):

For you, the day America graced your country was one of the most important periods of your history. But for us, it was Tuesday

Frank

Frank

It doesn't at all get weeks to months in our classrooms either but that could also be because I'm a western Canadian and we don't give a fuck about what Ontario finds important.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

4 days. I had it for 4 days. Though this year is the 200th anniversary so it has been reopened more than a jar of jam.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I think that depends on where you go to school. But I don't remember learning about it at all in high school (High school Canadian History we mostly talked about the involvement of Canada in WW1 and WW2), and in elementary school I remember learning more about Confederacy, the Red River Rebellion, and the 7 years war than the war of 1812. (Ontario)
But we definitely bestow more significance on it than the Americans do, anyway.

Necronic

Necronic

Maybe it was just for Ontario, can't remember if the show specified that.

Vrii

Vrii

It got mentioned in passing here, I think. Days would be a big stretch, weeks to months...that's a joke.

Necronic

Necronic

Huh, must have been a bad report, which is surprising coming from NPR. Granted it's an American show trying to understand our whacky northern neighbours so the opportunities for confusion abound, but still, NPR.

Edit: Here's the original story (they say 2 days for America, 3-4 weeks for canada)

http://www.wbur.org/npr/155308632/teaching-the-war-of-1812-different-in-u-s-canada

They also refer to it as "the very fulcrum of national history" for Canada.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Schools this year probably are spending weeks to months on it. But that's because as mentioned its the 200 year anniversary.

Necronic

Necronic

ahhhh.

Still though Canada is Chun Li to our M Bison.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Yeah, its definitely given more significance here, I dont' know if I'd say it was the "fulcrum" of our history. I mean it really only pertains to Quebec and Ontario. I'd definitely still say WW1, particularly the battle of Vimy Ridge, was more monumental to Canadian history.

It is also pretty widely taught that it was the British who won the war, though anyone who actually bothers to read into it a little more knows that it was a weird sort of war where both sides basically got more or less what they wanted out of it. The British backed off the American's trade routes, and the Americans stopped trying to invade (Though they continued to encourage the Fenian raids for a long while after that).
Like NPR said, it was the first Nations who really lost out.

And the burning of the White House, I've talked about here before, is also pretty poorly represented in Canadian history. We didn't even learn it was retaliation for the razing of york in my school. I learned that part years later.

Never heard of Tecumseh either, but Laura Secord yes, she's been called the Canadian Paul Revere.

That guy sounds like he goes way more in depth about it than we did in my school. I'm sure curriculum's changed a lot since I was in elementary though.

Frank

Frank

ahhhh.

Still though Canada is Chun Li to our M Bison.
We have better legs?

Necronic

Necronic

Yes. But we have a cooler hat.

It's called Canada.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

But if you're Bison and we're Chun li, then everyone wants to do us, and everyone hates you.

Frank

Frank

But if you're Bison and we're Chun li, then everyone wants to do us, and everyone hates you.
We're definitely doing our damnedest to change that. Just ask South America.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

We're definitely doing our damnedest to change that. Just ask South America.
Oh I know, Canada's international rep has taken an absolute beating since the Harper government took over.
http://www.unwatch.org/cms.asp?id=3235583&campaign_id=65378
First time: U.N. puts Canada on human rights watchlist
over Quebec demo law
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2012/06/18/pol-g20-mexico-harper-europe-crisis-eu.html
Europe to Canada: Don't lecture us
Mexico invited to TPP talks, as Canada waits
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/cana...-slipping-under-stephen-harper-193928772.html
Canada under this government failed to win a seat on the UN Security Council, a stinging rebuke. Canada's once-sterling reputation for caring about Africa is over.
"[But] by refusing to join the G20 initiative to augment IMF resources, Canada's credibility within the G20 will be seriously diminished.
etc, etc.

PatrThom

PatrThom

For me, I think it's the copyright shenanigans that made Canada lose the most credibility.

--Patrick

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Be fair, we have taken a hit mostly because we as a country are trying to get healthier and quit smoking.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I just saw that commercial today in a video that was "Funniest Commercials from Canada" or something like that. Didn't realize that was a Canadian commercial until today.

You know what I learned today?

The number of Canadian citizens living abroad is 2.8million. That means the population of Canadians OUTSIDE of Canada, is actually greater than the population of Canadians in Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Newfoundland and Labrador, PEI, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, the Yukon, the Northwest Territories, or Nunavut.
OUTSIDE of Canada is our fifth highest population.

Necronic

Necronic

Why is there a but in that sentence?

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

.....Are you coming on to us?

Jay

Jay

Confirmed... will be in New Brunswick from July 9th till July 12.

Moncton

Emrys

Emrys

I'm going to go visit my mom in Alabama in about a week. If you want to make an order off an American website and have me bring it back f0r you, let me know.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Confirmed... will be in New Brunswick from July 9th till July 12.

Moncton
How are you getting there?

Jay

Jay

Flying to Moncton, Tango/Air Canada

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

PHEW! Caught this thread just before it slipped off the front page and into OBLIVION.
541067_10150689140565740_1308213643_n.jpg

Adam

Adam

Hooray rain, snobs and old people.

Gusto

Gusto

Hooray terrible politicians and respiratory problems.

Jay

Jay

Poutine

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

You all talk funny.

LittleSin

LittleSin

Funny sounding people.

Hooray?

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Oil oil oil bitches!

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Oil oil oil bitches!
And Rona Ambrose!

Ooh that Rona Ambrose! Yum yum yummy yum!

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Hooray terrible politicians and respiratory problems.
Also terrible hockey teams.

Edit: To Clarify, I'm just reading what's on the infographic. Not commenting on the Leafs/ Senators personally.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

So my wife just told me the most Canadian story ever; she is in that flat province on business and saunters into a store, does some shopping, goes to pay and notices not a single person is working in the store, cash register wide open, keys on the counter.

So she cleans up the place, leaves and calls the non-emergency police number and waits for them to arrive and together they close up the store.

blotsfan

blotsfan

To be fair, my reaction wouldve been

Jay

Jay

So yep.... Moncton on the 9th-10... then Dalhousie on the 11-12.

Tell me about New Brunswick.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Canada Day weekend, guys!
I'm working today, hopefully I can get these two scenes done and be able to hit the bar tomorrow night with my friend. Maybe catch some fireworks. There is a strong chance I'll just be stuck inside workign all day tomorrow too though.
But at the very least, this is a weekend for some CANROCK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=TnHm4ro_l8s

Frank

Frank

For the first time since I became a mountie I won't be taking part in any serge ceremonies or parades.

I just get to enjoy Canada Day. Awesome.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Fuck Yeah Canada
canada.gif

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Happy Canada Day northern neighbors!

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Happy Canada Day everyone!

It's 32 degrees out! Fuck that suit.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Sucks to be you.
Why, here it is a mere 29. I am practically freezing in my parka here.

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

Happy Canada Day!!!!

Bowielee

Bowielee

This has bugged me for a while. Shouldn't the thread title be:

The Super Dooper Canadian Thread (now with 47% more Back Bacon)

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Tell that to LE QUEBECOIS.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Although, we can make it statisically correct if we post enough clips from the movie

Screw it, I'll just post the whole movie:

Zappit

Zappit

My calender says it Canada Day today. What can I, as an American, do to show unity and support for my Canadian Halforums compatriots?

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

STOP MIXING YOUR UNITS!

:aaah:
I wasn't. It was a poorly planned, poorly executed joke. I never mix units with temperature. The Farennheit system confuses the hell out of me. My dad still uses the imperial system for temperature and it confuses me.

"What's it like out today?"
"well it's 70 degrees out."
"So.... do I need a coat? Can I wear shorts? I have no idea what that means."

It was 29C here yesterday. The joke was I was rubbing HCGLNS face in how much cooler it was here, even though it was still incredibly hot. This itself was combined with a joke about stereotypical perceptions of how cold it is here.

To clarify for you Yanks: the difference in temperature was 89.6 degrees Farennheit where HCGLNS is and 84.2 where I am. (I had to look this up)

3 degrees celsius difference is nothing. Once the temperature gets above 27, I don't care what it is, it's too hot.[DOUBLEPOST=1341239710][/DOUBLEPOST]
My calender says it Canada Day today. What can I, as an American, do to show unity and support for my Canadian Halforums compatriots?
Either your Calendar is wrong, you're confused what day it is, or you are a time traveller. The latter is my favourite explanation.

(It was yesterday)

Zappit

Zappit

My calender must be wrong. Let me rephrase. What COULD I have done, as an American, to show unity and support for my Canadian Halforums compatriots.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I have a comfort zone of +/- 18 deg Celsius

Once it becomes over standard room temp 24C outside, I get really kranky.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

My calender must be wrong. Let me rephrase. What COULD I have done, as an American, to show unity and support for my Canadian Halforums compatriots.
Today is the Canada Day holiday, because Canada Day itself fell on a weekend. I guess that's where they got confused.

Gusto

Gusto

Not for all of us. All my friends are off today and I've gotta work from 5-10:45. What a bullshit shift.

Frank

Frank

I have a comfort zone of +/- 18 deg Celsius

Once it becomes over standard room temp 24C outside, I get really kranky.
I was born in the territories and raised in the north. I'd be happy if the world stayed at 10 C year round.

fade

fade

Don't come to Texas. 30-40 (or more) is normal operating temperature around here.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Don't come to Texas. 30-40 (or more) is normal operating temperature around here.
God that sounds awesome. I am the only person I know who loves the heat.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Not for all of us. All my friends are off today and I've gotta work from 5-10:45. What a bullshit shift.
I'm working all day too. Still going at it.

*Edit: Wound up working until 4am.

LittleSin

LittleSin

It is so rare for it to get to 30 degree in Newfoundland.

In the past few days it has peaked over that. I am cranky and lazy.

Yet this kid just keep going.

Terrik

Terrik

ugh, it's 35 - 40 out today. Too damn hot. At least the sky is nice and blue.

However, played in the annual Beijing Canada day street hockey tournament. I got a free shirt. It was 35 out then too and we played from 2:30 to five.

I was soaked at the end. But hey! Free beer and water.
I had a beer WITH a Canadian.

I even told him in the grand scale of things, Canada wasn't all that bad.

I have done my good deed for the day.

Dirona

Dirona

Woo! We have a moving date! We are officially moving to Kelowna on July 10th.

I really do get to bo back to BC! There'll be water! and trees! and rocks! and wine!!
Woo!!

Take that school that said I couldn't do my residency outside the prairies! HA! Needless to say, I'm rather pleased. :D

Now... to finish packing.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Sorry, the are enough Halforum members in BC already, you will have to move to PEI to fill the vacancy in that province.

Also, conga conga conga rats!

Dirona

Dirona

I actually did apply to some places in the martimes, but no one ever got back to me. :( So - BC it is!

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

A Mountie in Alberta catches some kids jamming in the forest:

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Telephius,
Why do you guys like Slurpees so much?!
Slurpee title just getting sweeter

Winnipeg named world capital again
Once again, Manitoba has slurped its way to being crowned the Slurpee capital of the world for the 13th year, finishing ahead of second-place Calgary and third-place Detroit.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

"Hey guys, I know it's usually cold enough to kill penguins here, but for that one week of summer, why don't we eat snow?" --All Manitobans, apparently

Telephius

Telephius

:megusta:

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

The article mentions it, but it deserves mentioning again July 11 is free Slurpee day at all 7-Elevens in North America.

Jay

Jay

Off to Moncton tomorrow, then off to some village in the forest for 2 more days.

Hope all goes well.

Zappit

Zappit

Saw this. Thought of this thread.

Jay

Jay

Moncton sucks

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

"And now live, with a special report from Moncton, Jay. Jay?"
"Moncton sucks."
"Thanks, Jay. And now here's Littlesin with the weather.""

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Oh come on! How can a city that allows two hidden railway crossings on the only multi-lane highway suck?

Jay

Jay

You bastards should have driven up to Moncton tonight, I would have paid for drinks and dinner.

One more half day here, then I'm hitching a ride to Dalhousie village for two days

UgW7A.jpg

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Dirona

Dirona

Clearly, not produced in Canada - they spelled neighbour wrong.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Well, obviously.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Will there be a chance you'll be coming through this way again in the future, Mister Jay?

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

What a bizarre accent. I don't think I have ever heard a Canadian, or anyone else for that matter, who talked that way.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Ever been to Northern Ontario? I'm pretty sure that's where our stereotype accent comes from.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Never been there, but I have heard better imitations of the stereotypical accent than that one. In that skit it sounds like a New Yorker trying to be a Canadian who's imitating someone from Philly.

Timmus

Timmus

How about this one?

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

That still cracks me up every time.

Timmus

Timmus

Bit off topic but that's a top 5 episode for me.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

That's definitely one of my favourites.
Edit: Do you remember how friggin' disappointing the first "Simpsons Come to Canada!" episode was?:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=LRkkXqNoXa8

They were in Toronto for like 4 minutes. IT WAS ON THE COVER OF TV GUIDE.

Jay

Jay

Will there be a chance you'll be coming through this way again in the future, Mister Jay?
Possibly. There are 3 more sites in Miramichi, Edmundston and St. Johns. We'll have to determine if I'm going on site.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Saint John*
St. John's is in Newfoundland.
Saint John is in New Brunswick.
Unless there's a St. John's in New Brunswick too. In which case.... you guys need to get more creative with the names out there.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

But that John fellow was SUCH a nice guy, eh!

LittleSin

LittleSin

Aw...my hopes went up when I saw that St. Johns. :(

blotsfan

blotsfan

Great night in Toronto. Love your drinking age up here.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Come for the drinking age, stay for the hockey.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Or I could go back to Buffalo where there has been playoff hockey at some point after the lockout.

And before you say it, same number of cups as the leafs since our founding

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

You....
You had to bring Stanley Cup PLAYOFFS INTO THIS!

blotsfan

blotsfan

His comment was implied hatin on my Sabres.

I devised a more accurate saying though:

Canada: come for the drinking age, stay for the fact that there is too much traffic for you to even consider leaving.

Dirona

Dirona

re: traffic - that's just Toronto... and Calgary... and Vancouver...

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I don't know if what they have in Montreal counts as traffic. Traffic follows rules.

Dirona

Dirona

distinct culture - they have their own rules.

Telephius

Telephius

driving in montreal is scary :eek:

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I haven't actually been since I was 12 or 13, but it was bad. Almost Beijing bad.

Telephius

Telephius

I was there this year, drivers are curteous but crazy

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I don't know if what they have in Montreal counts as traffic. Traffic follows rules.
First time I ever heard THAT about Quebec drivers.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Not Quebec. Specifically Montreal.

Eriol

Eriol

I only thought Canadian traffic was bad. Then I vacationed in Egypt. Cairo traffic. /shudder

After seeing it, I can't in good conscience complain too much anymore.

Jay

Jay

Aw...my hopes went up when I saw that St. Johns. :(
Ya St-John

My hope is to find a Montreals somewhere someday..[DOUBLEPOST=1343046237][/DOUBLEPOST]
I was there this year, drivers are curteous but crazy
I probably cut you off.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Well, there's a Toronto, PEI. So there's hope, yet!

Jay

Jay

Nah, Montreal Island and surrounding and anything between that and Quebec City and Mont Tramblant.

So when is one of you coming to MTL for some poutine with the Jay?

Telephius

Telephius

Tried the poutine, was not my thing, going to blaspheme it up with non curd cheese

Frank

Frank

Nooooooooo, pseudotine is a terrible abomination.

Telephius

Telephius

If it makes you feel any better I prefer having it with onions rings instead of fries as well ^^

Frank

Frank

What are you?

blotsfan

blotsfan

Wouldn't that just be onion rings covered with cheese and gravy? Like, a whole different food. I cant just take french toast and say "well, i dont use the eggs or bread, but i put milk with a bowl of cereal. Basically the same thing."

Frank

Frank

Well, using regular cheese grated onto fries and gravy shouldn't be called poutine either and it fucking grinds my gears every time one of these fuckmouth pizzarias does it.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

MORE KATE BEATON!
(Also, I was wrong, the attack on Washington wasn't performed by troops stationed in the Caribbean. It actually is relevant to Canada after all; the attack came from Halifax, by way of Bermuda.)
****edit: DAMMIT Photobucket resized the image. Hold on, I got this.

***DOUBLE EDIT: Even after cutting the image up into 5 chunks, and uploading seperately, Photobucket still resized them to the point of being too small to read. I give up.

Gusto

Gusto

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Frank

Frank

It seems to me that Ontarians seem to care the most about the War of 1812. My dad for example was born and raised around Picton and he goes on and on about it, while I, a born in the territories and raised in Alberta, couldn't give a hoot.

This is based on a 2 person sample size.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

It seems to me that Ontarians seem to care the most about the War of 1812. My dad for example was born and raised around Picton and he goes on and on about it, while I, a born in the territories and raised in Alberta, couldn't give a hoot.

This is based on a 2 person sample size.
Definitely. I don't think it really effected any other provinces (Except, I guess Nova Scotia, now I know) and the country was still BNA back then. But it still pops up as a bragging thing, mostly among Canadian comedians.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I'm trying to update the map, and too many of you live in too close proximity to eachother out west, especially since Dirona and (I'm assuming since you said "we" and mentioned before that you lived together) Eriol moved to Kelowna recently.

I don't know how I'm going to organize this.

You should have moved to PEI instead.
Or Nunavut. Plenty of space there.
*Edit: Managed it. Until I find out where in Saskatchewan Emyrs is located, this works. I can basically move that avatar around wherever right now.

Since I had to extend the edges out anyway, it made room to move us Southern Ontarians around, and so now Gusto is all on his lonesome, since Kitchener/Waterloo is not actually part of the GTA. Slightly more accurate now.

For whatever reason, I can't upload directly to halforums anymore. It won't recognize any image files when I try. They simply don't appear in the file browser. So I had to upload through imgur, cause photobucket kept resizing it.

grub

grub

That looks amazing! It's weird to me that there are 3 people in my hometown of Kelowna.

Jay

Jay

Waterloob

Dirona

Dirona

Yes, Eriol moved with. I don't think he would have appreciated being left out in SK!
And I didn't know Timmus was in Nelson! I used to live there!

I tried to move to the maritimes... but no one would return my calls. :(

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Waterloob
After I read this, I checked three times to see if I had made a typo in the image or the post.

Jay

Jay

Also, Avatars aren't updated... FOR SHAME BRO... FOR SHAME

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Yeah I wasn't going to bother with that. It sets a bad precedent. I can't go updating this every time someone changes avatar. Adam got updated only because he changed his name as well as his avatar and it seemed necessary.

Jay

Jay

Ya bu my new avatar would be like "snubbing the maritimes"

"pffft that's not part of canada"

pppft

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

But right now it's checking out a bikini'd Cthulu babe.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Interestingly enough you got my "Halloween" avatar... this blue one that you see is the one I've been using the rest of the time I've been on these boards :D.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

You caught me. I actually started working on the map WAAAAAAY back in October, then completely forgot about it, until Jay started this thread.

Gusto

Gusto

People gotta be like me and checkeredhat and only have one avatar ever.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

People gotta be like me and checkeredhat and only have one avatar ever.
I've had almost only one avatar ever other than a separate halloween one. Close enough?

Gusto

Gusto

I've had almost only one avatar ever other than a separate halloween one. Close enough?
Yes.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Hedonism Bot was supposed to just be my avatar for robot avatar month, back when we sometimes did monthly themes. But it stuck.

Bones

Bones

i was the laughing man for years, but domo-kun fits me much better now, so dj domo is my new standard of excellence.

Frank

Frank

Is Concord Ontario the warehouse capital of Canada or something? I just ordered a big ass heavy giganto office chair from Costco and it's being shipped from Concord, Ontario. I order shit from Amazon and it gets shipped from Concord, Ontario. Does Concord offer tax breaks for warehousing?

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Concord = CN Rail + Toronto International Airport

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Concord = CN Rail + Toronto International Airport
YYZ (Toronto Pearson International Airport) is across the street from me. I am not in Concord.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Okay fine, Concord is conveniently located between major rail, air and road networks.

Gusto

Gusto

Short answer: yes.

When I was a systems consultant for three months, I worked with several warehouses based in Concord, and even visited them a few times.

Jay

Jay

Went to quebec city today... came back right away

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I've been to Quebec City once, when I was 14 or so. All I remember is a big hill, and an unusually large number of people wearing bizarre shoes that I guess are specifically for jogging in hill-y area? The looked like these ones:

Never seen them anywhere else I've ever been, but I saw a lot of them that day. So that is Quebec City to me.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Ah, the good old days. When babies could be sent through the mail.

RoboKomodo

RoboKomodo

Well, fellow Canadians, I've been away for a few months. Getting married / moving and all that. My desktop is actually still in a box, but I'll be reunited soon! :aaah: Haven't seen it since we left Newfoundland in April.

Anyway, moving into our first apartment in Markham, Ontario next week. Been in living with in-laws for the last few months. Add me to the map! :)

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I'm sorry, but no. There's just not enough room on the map for another GTA member. You;ll have to move back to Newfoundland from whence you came, or alternatively, head north to one of the territories. If you'd like, you can try PEI as we do have a lack of members there, and I'll give the application some thought, but there isn't much space on the east side of the map either so I can't guarantee you a place there.

Jay

Jay

Well, fellow Canadians, I've been away for a few months. Getting married / moving and all that. My desktop is actually still in a box, but I'll be reunited soon! :aaah: Haven't seen it since we left Newfoundland in April.

Anyway, moving into our first apartment in Markham, Ontario next week. Been in living with in-laws for the last few months. Add me to the map! :)
Time to move to Labrador.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Labrador would be acceptable.

LittleSin

LittleSin

Do you guys hate the dude or something?

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I can fit an avatar with an arrow north of Newfoundland or Labrador pretty easily, though I'd have to nudge Jay's down a bit.

RoboKomodo

RoboKomodo

I'm hurt. Didn't anyone read Lure of the Labrador Wild? I'll be carried off by black flies.

No. I ain't moving to Labrador. I'm staying put. :mad:

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

How is Markham better than Labrador?

Gusto

Gusto

Move to Waterloo and be my new best friend.

Jay

Jay

How is Markham better than Labrador?
LOL

You hobo.

RoboKomodo

RoboKomodo

Move to Waterloo and be my new best friend.
I do have a good friend who lives in North Perth, and works near Waterloo. I also have an uncle in Guelph.
I had been looking for work in the area, but my wife got a full time job in Toronto, so....

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

A long, long time ago, I once lived in Markham, just off Markham Rd and before 14th.

RoboKomodo

RoboKomodo

A long, long time ago, I once lived in Markham, just off Markham Rd and before 14th.
That's not tooooo far from where we will be. Denison/Brimley.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

You're at the mall!1!

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=yJ0HZam3UJo

"We have get off your fat ass, come inside and look for yourself donuts!"

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

This shit again? What the hell
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2012/08/30/toronto-niagara-river-torso.html
That's three this year. Plus the huge increase in gun violence in Toronto.... this country's stressing me out this year, man.[DOUBLEPOST=1346368284][/DOUBLEPOST]Wasn't Chad Sexington supposed to visit Toronto this summer? I feel like we'd actually organize the meetup we keep talking about if that happens. And Vrii will be leaving the GTA for Vancouver soon. :(

Vrii

Vrii

Leaving Saturday morning!

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Dude, that's soon.

Vrii

Vrii

It is soon!

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

checkeredhat My best friend went to Yale for school and I kind of waffled on saving up to visit him vs. vacation in TO. :( I reeeeally want to visit your city but obviously I'm out of summer to do so.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Now THIS is how you do crime, Canada:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...-heist-worth-up-to-30-million/article4510740/

Police probing Quebec maple syrup heist worth up to $30-million

Eriol

Eriol

The one-liner for me that really "stuck" out: "global strategic maple syrup reserve"

Strategic oil/fuel reserve, OK.

Strategic maple syrup reserve??? I didn't know you could weaponize that stuff.

Vrii

Vrii

I'm in Vancouver now!

Also I slept for ~15 hours last night and I'm still incredibly tired.

Far

Far

West coast is the best coast!

Seriously though, Ontario makes me ill everytime I go back now.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Eriol

Eriol

That image checkeredhat is even more +win than your avatar, and that's saying a lot.

Timmus

Timmus

Canada: We walk around in cutoffs with our dong hangin' out. Deal with it world.

Jay

Jay

Timmus

Still love that avatar.

lol

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Couldn't decide whether to post this here or in Awesome Videos. Decided here. As you know, Zellers is going the way of Eatons, as most of their stores are closing and being reopened as Targets.

At least they have a sense of humour about their impending doom:

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Telephius

Telephius

No biggie, Tim the Enchanter just lives here.

EDIT: Also I am adding Great Balls of Fire as a song that represents my city, I am just to lazy to necro that thread.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

No biggie, Tim the Enchanter just lives here.

EDIT: Also I am adding Great Balls of Fire as a song that represents my city, I am just to lazy to necro that thread.
I was just pointing out that CNN managed to spell it wrong three times, in two different ways ("Winnpieg" and "Winnepeg") on the same screen

LittleSin

LittleSin

...How the hell does that happen? They don't even look the same!

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/story/2012/10/04/rush-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame.html
Rush nominated for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
Rush long overlooked

Toronto-based Rush has been eligible for nomination since 1998, but this is the first year it has earned a place on the long list of candidates, despite a large and loyal fan base and a long list of young musicians who pay tribute to their influence.

Gusto

Gusto

I'll put this here:

[DOUBLEPOST=1349912102][/DOUBLEPOST]I'll put this here:

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

http://www.cbc.ca/strombo/canada/th...from-the-past-twenty-years.html?p=home&s=home
Although no new Minutes have been produced in nearly a decade, the keeper of the Minutes, the Historica-Dominion Institute, is planning to revive the format with new films! Details are under wraps, but the big reveal is planned for this Monday, October 15.
I am unreasonably happy about this.

That's right, we get to see gems like this on TV again:

HERE'S THE LINK TO ALL OF THE OLD ONES.

Adam

Adam

That Halifax explosion one still gives me chills.

Frank

Frank

Yeah, me too.

Dirona

Dirona

The Avro Arrow one has some personal signifigance for me - my grandfather worked there as a draftsman (as did his sister), so I grew up with stories of that project.

Having lived in Halifax, albeit briefly, the explosion one is... what Adam said, chilling.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

The Halifax explosion one is probably the best one. I always liked the Sam Steele one too. Sam Steele was a badass.

The Avro Arrow one was pieced together with scenes from the made for TV movie "The Arrow", which is actually a pretty decent docu-drama. I definitely recommend it.

Eriol

Eriol

I actually knew the guy who built (and flew) the model plane used for the in-air shots of the Arrow for that movie. The guy owned one of the hobby shops in Calgary where I lived at the time, and I flew model airplanes at the time, and it's a fairly small community, so... it was kinda cool. I actually got to see some of the "spare" jigs and such (his workshop was right behind the store, he lived in the building too) because he had to make more than one for the movie. It was also kinda cool hearing about how he had to control it from a helicopter, because they needed it flying high enough for some of the shots, whereas usually with models you just control from the ground. Cool stories from the guy.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Jay

Jay

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I appreciate that there is a snow covered BBQ. Barbecuing in the winter is a truly Canadian thing. Every house has a path shoveled out the back door to the BBQ. It's a necessity.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

TO ALL OUR CANADIAN BROTHERS AND SISTERS! You guys hate Total Drama just as much as we do in the states right?

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

TO ALL OUR CANADIAN BROTHERS AND SISTERS! You guys hate Total Drama just as much as we do in the states right?
I had to look up what the hell you were talking about. I probably know people who work on that show, and I still had never heard of it.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I had to look up what the hell you were talking about. I probably know people who work on that show, and I still had never heard of it.
You are lucky. It was passable in the first season (and that's a big passable) but then it just kept getting worse and worse as the series went on. It was made by the same people who did 6teen and Stoked so...yeah no surprise in the quality there.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

My friends are on honeymoon in Nova Scotia. Their status updates took a turn as soon as they left Halifax for Lunenburg. According to them, Lunenburg is just creepy as hell.
In Halifax:
This place rocks.
But then...
Arrived in Lunenburg. What a weird place.
In Lunenberg. This place is not great.
We are leaving tomorrow. None of the locals know any way to leave the town, and they all keep asking where we are sleeping. I'm not sure if it's a full moon or not, but I'm just getting a bad vibe off this place.
We think we've figured out where to catch a bus now. We're taking off before first light.I have first watch.
We made it out of Lunenberg alive! The locals made a few attempts to stop us, but we managed to duck them by hiding in a closed down pizzeria
Then, from back in Halifax,
Despite escaping Lunenberg, we were approached on the street by a guy who says "I saw you two yesterday! You were standing outside of the Foodland in Lunenberg!"
Then, don't we run into the same guy again at the restaurant where we have supper.
Any maritimers want to weigh in? What's so creepy in Lunenburg?

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Well, you see tourist season is over. Our artificial niceness has been replaced by dour suspiciousness and loathing of the upcoming bleak months of very cold rain and minimal employment.

Tell them to go check out Hal-Con if they are in Halifax.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

From Peggy's Cove, my favourite status update from the honeymooners in Nova Scotia:
Stepped aside to allow John Rhys-Davies to pass me in the hall outside my hotel room. "Thank you young chap, very good of you."
What is John Rhys-Davies doing in Nova Scotia?!

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Well, you see tourist season is over. Our artificial niceness has been replaced by dour suspiciousness and loathing of the upcoming bleak months of very cold rain and minimal employment.

Tell them to go check out Hal-Con if they are in Halifax.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

riiiiight. Of course.