The Tech Random Crap Thread

It's always a little bit panic-inducing when you compile code on a program of over 160,000 lines for the first time and get no compiler errors.

"Oh god, what did I fuck up that the compiler can't catch..."
Those are going to be the things that are hours to debug.

It's always a little bit panic-inducing when you compile code on a program of over 160,000 lines for the first time and get no compiler errors.

"Oh god, what did I fuck up that the compiler can't catch..."
I'm always a big nervous when big, complex code just works right the first time.

I cant believe that my C: Hdd lasted as long as it did (almost 8 years). But I upgraded it to an 500gb ssd and the windowas startup times are like day and night. Now I have to slowly phase out my other hdds and copy them onto 1 large hdd so I can finally change into a new case with better airflow. All of the ones I like have around 2x 3,5 and 2x 2,5 inch hdd capacities.

Welp, if you don't hear from me for a while, blame Cox.

I'm upgrading from 300/30 to Gigablast internet... which should up my 'net speed.

So I changed my home PC wallpaper the other day...

I didn't realize I had desktop settings sync'd to my laptop as well. At least there wasn't anyone around. So I don't have to explain Ishtar's feet.

(Fate/GO types will understand.)

I don't use the MS sync for my desktop/laptop settings - only settings I'm syncing are my Edge (Chromium) so my bookmarks stay synced (though I really wish there was a program that easily synced bookmarks between browsers still since XMarks kicked the bucket).

That includes using a local account for my computers - which you can still do even in 20H2 Home - just don't hook up to the internet when setting up makes it easier...

For those who didn't know, since Chrome/Chromium is now THE dominant browsing platform (~60%), the zero-day people are focusing the majority of their attention on cracking it open and getting it to reveal its secrets.

--Patrick

It looks like blood pressure tracking is a complicated feature only available on a few, and even then it's not always accurate.

Thanks, but unfortunately none are available over here.

Best bet is to get a digital cuff, tbh.
That's already done.

Best bet is to get a Corona vaccine and let the microchips monitor your heart rate
:awesome:
Yeah but then i'd have to log into a Win10 device to read teh results...

I exchanged my old aircooler with an Corsair H45. One of the pins from my aircooler broke after i thansfered pc cases. Also changed back to my old psu since the new one didnt have enough wattage to power my GPU. PC would start but it would not output a signal. Turned out, that i plugged the 3-pin header for the pump into a 3 pin fan header instead of the 4 pin cpu header. Now I am the owner a beautiful Lianli Cool Mesh 2 with ARGB fans. Around March I will probably get myself a Ryzhen 3500x and a B450 Mobo.

This one is kinda weird. When I had my ethernet adapter set to obtain a DNS server automatically, it would take a minute or more to wake up from a long idle, such as trying to access the internet after waking up or getting home from work. But when I set it to a specific DNS server, like 1.1.1.1, the connection is there immediately. What gives?

Interesting tidbit I learned today: in my ZIP code, approximately 15.7% of the people that live in its boundaries don't have internet.

That's roughly 9,500 people.

In all the ZIP codes that are generally thought of to be in the city of Mesa, over 13% of those living in the city do not have internet - about 63,800 people.

Meanwhile, there are 66,748 confirmed C-19 cases in those same ZIP codes.

I am NOT implying anything (and, in fact, the correlation between cases and internet in Mesa ZIP codes is -0.14), but I find those totals to be... interesting.

I remember my companies software puking for a customer when they tried to do something with a specific person. Turns out the persons last name was null.