The Tech Random Crap Thread

HP is telling me this laptop is both the 15-eh0050wm *and* the 15-eh0090wm. Specs are the same, physical layout is the same. So which is it? HP assistant says it's the 50. Log into the web site with my s/n and it's the 90.

HP is telling me this laptop is both the 15-eh0050wm *and* the 15-eh0090wm. Specs are the same, physical layout is the same. So which is it? HP assistant says it's the 50. Log into the web site with my s/n and it's the 90.
As far as I managed to discover, the only difference is support, not hardware. The 0050 comes with 90 days software and set-up support, the 0090 with 1 year of software and set-up support. Hardware and warranty are the same and all other specs seem to be as well.

I was tired and busy last week so I didn't do it. But now I'm (kinda) motivated, so I'm doing the Gentoo install on the old laptop. We'll see how *that* goes.

I just realized the Firefox on my Gentoo laptop is well behind the current release. Probably because I'm running stable. Now that I know the laptop works, why am I running stable? It's not a production machine. It's a Because I Can machine.

Things will go completely haywire if I do it, but I'm thinking about just switching the whole thing over to testing. Emerge will have an absolute fit right off the bat, but I have nothing but time with this laptop. Maybe start "small" with upgrading Firefox and Plasma, but why not?

Went for it. Currently emerging package 20 of 474.

Qtwebengine, Firefox, and Libreoffice are further down the list, so it'll be at least dinnertime *tomorrow* before I see what I hath wrought.

figmentPez

Staff member
... to being a Borderlands-esque thick outline filter that is bright yellow instead of black! Oh joy >_<
Well, maybe developers will be creative, and realize that "realistic" interpretations of night vision can be more like Arkham detective vision, or otherwise be more useful to the playe....

*sigh* It's just going to be another shitty filter, innit?

Now they just need to add a filter that colors your teammates blue and the enemy in red.

--Patrick
I really hope this doesn't actually happen. I can already hear the war crime justifications coming, "I couldn't tell those troops were surrendering, they were Red, so I shot them!"

"Those innocent civilians looking for food were colored red, that's why I gunned them all down."

"I didn't know they were orphans begging for their lives, my goggles colored them RED!"

...sir, this is an Arby's

For some reason, I was thinking about an old Compaq laptop I once owned.
1620925520559.png

(Stole this picture from GIS) Notice the trackball on the monitor? There were two buttons on the opposite side. So to use the mouse, you reached up, used the trackball with your thumb, and your fingers wrapped around to click the two buttons (left/right click).

I really kind of miss that. It was much more natural and efficient than a trackpad.

I can see how that would work organically for limited use as was usual in that time, but would become very strenuous for continuous mouse/pointer use like these days.

I can see how that would work organically for limited use as was usual in that time, but would become very strenuous for continuous mouse/pointer use like these days.
I'm not sure what you mean by "limited use". I developed software in Visual Studio on that thing.. I used it constantly to scroll, copy and paste code. I liked it much better for that purpose than I ever have a trackpad.

Huh. I would expect having to constantly lean forward to engage the trackmarble would eventually become tiresome.
…though I suppose that presumes a more modern laptop posture—on a table, chest height, arm’s length. The novel position might be more convenient if you are the sort to code reclining on a couch with the laptop on your belly, or if you’re the sort who sits with it choked way up on your lap as if it were a cat.

—Patrick

Okay, I have a campfire and collect it's ashes. Call them A. Somebody else has a campfire, does the same and calls the ashes B.

We get together and put both ashes into the fire to make C.

This goes on and on with many other participants.

How hard would it be to track the spead if a history is kept?

Huh. I would expect having to constantly lean forward to engage the trackmarble would eventually become tiresome.
…though I suppose that presumes a more modern laptop posture—on a table, chest height, arm’s length. The novel position might be more convenient if you are the sort to code reclining on a couch with the laptop on your belly, or if you’re the sort who sits with it choked way up on your lap as if it were a cat.

—Patrick
I'm not sure how it would work on a larger laptop. But on the one I had, the position of the trackball was only a few inches different than having my hand on a mouse. It was quite comfortable and felt very natural.

Spare desktop was running Kubuntu because not only was trying to install Gentoo on hotel wifi a royal pain in the ass, but the guides for the use case I had were either obsolete or asked for things I didn't have/want.

Found a current guide that gets me exactly where I want, and I come to find that i7-3770's still got a fair bit of life left in it. Way faster than that A10-8700P that's in the Gentoo laptop I'm running. Just need to check some kernel options and install the bootloader, and it'll be good to go.

Firefox is doing it for me. Steam doesn't auto-launch, but FF is running three processes and using over a gig of RAM just browsing this forum.
Typing is sooo laggy.

--Patrick