[TV] The What Animation Are You Watching Thread 2!: The Sequel!

Of course the princess' current fiancee is a dong.

Of course.

OH ZUKO SHOWS UP WHEN AANG IS MEDITATING NO WAY

This is getting way too trope-y, please get better I have faith in you.

Just starting season 2 now, so I'll get there eventually, spamming this thread along the way.
Season 2 is basically the moment everything starts getting better. You get less standalone episodes, the story focus gets tighter, and it stays that way until near the end of the season.

Season 2 is basically the moment everything starts getting better. You get less standalone episodes, the story focus gets tighter, and it stays that way until near the end of the season.
Yeah I'm already seeing that and it's definitely more interesting. I was worried for awhile there but it's turning around nicely.

Are you going to continue on to Korra? Season 1 of Korra is alright, a little hampered by the fact that they didn't think they would get a season 2, but season 2 is fucking fantastic with one of my favorite villians ever.

I'm probably going to, yeah. I've heard Korra's quality is a bit spotty but still worth the watch.
The issues with Korra are...

- Season 1 wraps things up a bit too neatly. This is because they were expecting to be a 12 episode miniseries, not a full fledged sequel series, so everything HAD to be finished by the end of Season 1.
- Because of this, the early episodes of Season 2 feel a bit odd. But once the story picks up, things are fine.
- Season 2, 3, and 4 all tell a continuing story. Because of this, Season 1 seems a bit disconnected in retrospect.

That said, I'd say that Korra is probably the better series, if only because they felt less beholden to the shonen savior archetype.

The issues with Korra are...

- Season 1 wraps things up a bit too neatly. This is because they were expecting to be a 12 episode miniseries, not a full fledged sequel series, so everything HAD to be finished by the end of Season 1.
- Because of this, the early episodes of Season 2 feel a bit odd. But once the story picks up, things are fine.
- Season 2, 3, and 4 all tell a continuing story. Because of this, Season 1 seems a bit disconnected in retrospect.

That said, I'd say that Korra is probably the better series, if only because they felt less beholden to the shonen savior archetype.
Korra also really dives into the lore and mythos in new and interesting ways. If last airbender is Knights of the Old Republic, then Korra is KotOR2

Korra also really dives into the lore and mythos in new and interesting ways. If last airbender is Knights of the Old Republic, then Korra is KotOR2
The thing I admire most about Korra is that it was willing to examine the entire premise of what the first show was about, explore those flaws, and actually do something about it. To be fair, this is something that started in the comics did first, but it's not until Season 2 that we get to see what Korra, as a series, is actually going to be about.

Speaking of comics, @CynicismKills, you're going to want to read some comics after you finish Avatar. I'm not even going to link them or title them until you've done it though, as the content of each of spoiler heavy, but one of them deals with a hanging plot thread and one of them sets up Korra.

You end up respecting Korra as a legacy character in that she's very much the opposite of Aang. Aang traveled the world as a kid, Korra was confined to her training hall, Aang was patient and understanding, Korra is brash and impulsive, its a neat dichotomy.

The thing I admire most about Korra is that it was willing to examine the entire premise of what the first show was about, explore those flaws, and actually do something about it. To be fair, this is something that started in the comics did first, but it's not until Season 2 that we get to see what Korra, as a series, is actually going to be about.

Speaking of comics, @CynicismKills, you're going to want to read some comics after you finish Avatar. I'm not even going to link them or title them until you've done it though, as the content of each of spoiler heavy, but one of them deals with a hanging plot thread and one of them sets up Korra.
Cool, when I clean up the first series I'll look for those comics.

You end up respecting Korra as a legacy character in that she's very much the opposite of Aang. Aang traveled the world as a kid, Korra was confined to her training hall, Aang was patient and understanding, Korra is brash and impulsive, its a neat dichotomy.
The last thing I would call Aang is patient, even to the point I'm at in season 2.

Once again, TMNT cribs on "Attack on Titan"s omni-directional move gear...and its freaking awesome. Also they fight bug monsters, gloriously HIDEOUS Cronenbergien bug monsters! Although we know the REAL reason Antrax could duplicate itself-ARMY BUILDING!

Korra season 1 is a really interesting story that feels out of sorts with Last Airbender and the remaining seasons of Korra. It's this oddly political bunch of episodes, but honing in on important stuff that should be addressed in the Avatar world. It also keeps you pushing from episode to episode and is rock solid until the ending, for the reasons mentioned. It's that ending that causes season 2 to start weak as can be, but two mid-season episodes propel season 2 to greatness. After that, the quality is consistently good.

Season 1 of Last Airbender is fine, but I don't think it has any of my favorite episodes aside from the finale.

Korra season 1 is a really interesting story that feels out of sorts with Last Airbender and the remaining seasons of Korra. It's this oddly political bunch of episodes, but honing in on important stuff that should be addressed in the Avatar world. It also keeps you pushing from episode to episode and is rock solid until the ending, for the reasons mentioned. It's that ending that causes season 2 to start weak as can be, but two mid-season episodes propel season 2 to greatness. After that, the quality is consistently good.

Season 1 of Last Airbender is fine, but I don't think it has any of my favorite episodes aside from the finale.
Each season of last airbender is better than the previous, and they're all good.

Yeah, 1 was okay, 2 was pretty solid and 3 is shaping up to be the best. I was kind of annoyed with The Beach episode, but that's about it, and only because
the humanizing backstories given to Azula's cronies just makes them sound like spoiled brats. Like, the tone of the scene makes me think the writers want you to sympathize a little with the group but outside of Zuko they're all just babies who didn't get their way growing up.

Just finished the episode Day of the Black Sun.

I have to be honest, I'm not sure I enjoy Azula as a villain. She's too perfect, I think. Fast, strong, smart, etc etc. I'm sure she'll get hers eventually but seeing her constantly out-maneuver everyone has gotten incredibly stale at this point.

And that closes the book (HAH) on Avatar: The Last Airbender. I enjoyed the hell out of it, and am pretty excited to get going on Korra. WoW: Legion hits on Tuesday, though, so I may not get to it right away. We'll see.

And that closes the book (HAH) on Avatar: The Last Airbender. I enjoyed the hell out of it, and am pretty excited to get going on Korra. WoW: Legion hits on Tuesday, though, so I may not get to it right away. We'll see.
Alright then... the two comics you're going to want to look for are:

The Promise: Aang makes a promise to Zuko he is afraid he cannot keep, as the Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom meet to discuss the fate of the Fire Nation colonies in the Earth Kingdom, an issue that threatens war once again. This leads into Korra, but is probably the first one you want to read.

The Search: Zuko uncovers a clue to a mystery that has troubled him for some time, just as Azula is given a message from her father that could change the Fire Nation forever. This resolves the hanging plot thread.

You can probably find them easily enough.

The Promise: Aang makes a promise to Zuko he is afraid he cannot keep, as the Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom meet to discuss the fate of the Fire Nation colonies in the Earth Kingdom, an issue that threatens war once again. This leads into Korra, but is probably the first one you want to read.

The Search: Zuko uncovers a clue to a mystery that has troubled him for some time, just as Azula is given a message from her father that could change the Fire Nation forever. This resolves the hanging plot thread.

I read summaries, but yeah I'll see if I can get my hands on them for the whole story. Going to start Korra tomorrow night while I wait for Legion to open, most likely.

They were online, once upon a time, which is how I read them. Unfortunately, I don't remember where, or if they still are.

They weren't, so I had to go sailing. Apparently Nickelodeon had them up on the Nick Magazine site before they axed it.

Interesting story in the two I read, though a bit WORDS WORDS WORDS compared to the quicker dialogue in Avatar.

Starting Korra later today.

They weren't, so I had to go sailing. Apparently Nickelodeon had them up on the Nick Magazine site before they axed it.

Interesting story in the two I read, though a bit WORDS WORDS WORDS compared to the quicker dialogue in Avatar.

Yeah that's often a problem with comic adaptations of TV shows.

Something I forgot to mention, the music in both series is fantastic, as is the overall sound design. The effects during fights, the sound of the elements, even footfalls and sighs are all there and effective.

You can buy them in compiled hardcover format, I own The Search that way.

I'm curious what you think of Azula now that you've seen her whole story arc.

I'm curious what you think of Azula now that you've seen her whole story arc.
I still don't think she's a great villain,
because she spends so much of the series being this unstoppable force that nobody can outsmart and it's not much fun to see her always succeed. As her group and plans unravel things become more interesting, especially after she's Fire Lord and banishes most of the court. I found her and Zuko's arc in The Search to be great, though, and did enjoy her character there.