[TV] The What Anime Are You Watching Thread!

GasBandit

Staff member
That's a low bar.
I made that post in the first 5 minutes of the episode. And it just kept getting worse. And it was another "Spider show" episode with no spider, focusing on the humans. There is not a single non-spider character in this anime with the slightest bit of sympathetic resonance. I could literally not care less about any of them, or the demons.

This show used to be good. Now it is completely and utterly up its own ass with how cool it thinks it is, and it's become damn near unwatchable. I'm only allowing myself to get strung along because I want to see how things end up for the spider.

The only reason to watch Spider is to listen to Yuuki Aoi cut loose. And there were better options aplenty this season for your Yuuki Aoi fix.

Odd Taxi

"Boss! You stopped rhyming!"

One more to go. Definitely a 9/10, possibly a 10 if they stick the landing.

Oh no. Is it so bad?

I haven't watched Wonder Egg Priority yet, but I heard it's a good show.
Production issues delayed the final episode for an entire season, and even then it was finished less than 24 hours before broadcast. And then there was the story going off the rails on a level not seen since Darling in the FranXX.

There is a lot of salt in the WEP fandom tonight. A LOT of salt.

:popcorn:

GasBandit

Staff member
Full Dive: This Ultimate Next-Gen Full Dive RPG Is Even Shittier than Real Life!

And the show about it is incredibly tedious and unpleasant to watch! I tried to give it a real shot, I really did, but bleh. I got through 4 and a half episodes before I decided life is just too short to watch shitty anime.

Full Dive: This Ultimate Next-Gen Full Dive RPG Is Even Shittier than Real Life!

And the show about it is incredibly tedious and unpleasant to watch! I tried to give it a real shot, I really did, but bleh. I got through 4 and a half episodes before I decided life is just too short to watch shitty anime.
I watched twice as much and have three episodes left. Don't know if they wanted to go meta with the audience with this one but it is incredible tedious. There is no progession whatsoever. Spoiler: He is still in the starting village. I don't know maybe I watch the last three but I doubt it will reveal much.

figmentPez

Staff member
I read that as "full drive" at first, and thought I was reading a post complaining about the absurd install sizes that games have reached lately.

I bailed on the show when I found the imouto was just a piece of shit to her brother no matter what. She complained about the noise when he was playing the game, then berated him when he said he was quitting the game because it was garbage.

Well fuck you too, bitch.

GasBandit

Staff member
Drug Store in Another World:

I got a bad feeling about this one, too. Feels like it has both the problems of Monster Girl Doctor and Helpful Fox Senko-san. Only one episode out so far, so maybe it's too soon to call it, but unless it gets a lot better in a hurry....

Drug Store in Another World:

I got a bad feeling about this one, too. Feels like it has both the problems of Monster Girl Doctor and Helpful Fox Senko-san. Only one episode out so far, so maybe it's too soon to call it, but unless it gets a lot better in a hurry....
Senko-san had the fluffy in her favor. All the werewolf girl does is "woof." Yawn.

And no matter how much the internet wants it, having Kazuma's VA as the MC does not get you Kazuma.

It really feels like a lot of these Isekai shows are shows that could have just been Slice of Life shows and virtually nothing would have changed.

GasBandit

Staff member
Ravioli Ravioli beware the evil nazi loli - the movie.

(The Saga of Tanya the Evil: The Movie)

In lieu of a second season, Tanya gets a movie. It's much on par with the first season, though it suffers from a few problems.

First and foremost is the inconsistency of the art quality. The standout feature of the series was the beautiful backdrops and animation, but while they are sometimes present in the movie, those artistically vibrant parts definitely serve to draw big red circles around the parts where CGI is overused, where framerates dip to 2 or 3 frames per second, or sometimes just flat turn into a clearly rushed, crudely drawn effort.

Second, the mask slips even more. Just like MASH took place during the Korean war but was really about the Vietnam war, SoTtE is ostensibly about an analogous WW1 in a parallel (but extremely similar) reality. However, it's clear that the writing for it wanted it SO BADLY to be WW2, and simply swapped some uniforms and symbology around so they wouldn't have to deal with the discomfiting scrutiny brought on by wanting your protagonists to be Nazis. Despite purporting to take place in the middle of the 1920s, there are WW2 era artillery pieces, fighter and bomber aircraft, and other such gaffes as making the "Empire's" general of the "southern front" (which is a desert area) named, and I shit you not, Romel. A major plot development in the movie is a Stalin-led USSR-in-literally-all-but-name entering the war against Germany The Empire, favoring swarming with mass numbers of inferior troops, and having a war effort crippled by political officers refusing to report anything but good news to the higher ups, for fear of being purged.

But probably most irritating of all is the Hero-Antagonist of the movie is a literal, in everything AND name, Mary Sue. No shit, that's the character's actual name, and that's what she is. It doesn't count as hanging a lampshade if she's also exactly what it says on the tin. She's a passionate, naive wunderkid with unprecedented magic power and a burning desire to avenge her father Anson Sue, the Finnish antagonist of series 1, and literally the chosen of "God" to oppose and counterbalance Villain-Protagonist Tanya Degurechaff. She's infuriating. She literally never obeys a single order, instead acting only selfishly in the name of personal revenge, but naturally faces no consequences (because she IS a Mary Sue). Her personality is the most generic shonen garbage, and every moment she is on screen induces nausea.

And all the problems from season 1 are still there. Tanya's soldiers still have no character development or depth apart from being "the blonde one, the fat one, the one that is clearly Japanese, and several dozen forgettable NPCs who are there to occupy screen space." Naturally, Lieutenant Serebryakov continues to be the exception to the rule, managing to continue being both sweet and competent, AND getting some backstory filled in as well.

I only watched this because time and hype dulled my memory of the first season, thinking that I had perhaps judged it too harshly. But no, this continues to be one of the weaker properties in the Kadokawa stable - and they've really been pumping out the mediocrity in the last couple years, apart from Season 2 of Re:Zero. Makes me nervous for Overlord season 4, if indeed it ever actually comes out, at this rate.

Second, the mask slips even more. Just like MASH took place during the Korean war but was really about the Vietnam war, SoTtE is ostensibly about an analogous WW1 in a parallel (but extremely similar) reality. However, it's clear that the writing for it wanted it SO BADLY to be WW2, and simply swapped some uniforms and symbology around so they wouldn't have to deal with the discomfiting scrutiny brought on by wanting your protagonists to be Nazis. Despite purporting to take place in the middle of the 1920s, there are WW2 era artillery pieces, fighter and bomber aircraft, and other such gaffes as making the "Empire's" general of the "southern front" (which is a desert area) named, and I shit you not, Romel. A major plot development in the movie is a Stalin-led USSR-in-literally-all-but-name entering the war against Germany The Empire, favoring swarming with mass numbers of inferior troops, and having a war effort crippled by political officers refusing to report anything but good news to the higher ups, for fear of being purged.
This has been happening A LOT lately and I'm starting to wonder if it's because Abe's government severally edited a lot of WW2 related material in Japan's educational system or just their rising nationalist movement in general. I still remember that manga series about one the perpetrators of the Rape of Nanking being a teenager with a magical katana that saw release... regardless, Japan's always been in love with the aesthetics of World War 2 (look at how many fucking bands get yelled at for wearing nazi style uniforms).

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm 10 episodes in to YashaHime: Princess Half Demon. I only learned it existed a couple days ago.

It's a generational sequel to Inuyasha, centered around the daughters of Sesshomaru/Rin and Inuyasha/Kagome some ~20 years after the Final Chapter.

Without going into details too much, here's what's to know about it.

1) To watch YashaHime feels, smells, looks, tastes exactly like it did to be watching Inuyasha 20 years ago on Adult Swim - both for good and ill.
2) The original cast (mostly) reprises their roles, aside from Kagome (but they got the same actress as Final Chapter, who does a passable impression) and the actor playing Miroku died in real life after the first episode, and further appearances (in flashbacks mostly) have him voiceless.
3) The three new main protagonists are interesting characters, each with more depth than any of the original series characters.
4) As it is a Rumiko Takahashi joint, and a corollary to #1 above - the episodes are VERY... well... episodic. While there is an overall plot arc, it's very much a villain-of-the week gig, same as Inuyasha was back in the day.

So, as I'm less than halfway through the show, it may be a bit early to really "review" it per se, but my initial impression is: It's decent. If you liked Inuyasha and wanted more of that flavor, here it is, just like how you remember it. Is it an epic must-see transformative experience? No. Could you be forgiven for skipping it? Sure. But man, the last year or two has been the absolute PITS for anime if you ask me (particularly jarring given how awesome things were in 2017-2019), and so, a cubic zirconia in a pile of crushed gravel tends to shine even a little brighter. I recommend if you consider yourself a dedicated weeb - you probably won't consider it a waste of your time.

GasBandit

Staff member
Where were you this past season? It was absolutely PACKED.
Mostly getting disappointed to various degrees by Spider, Full Dive, Redo of Healer, Slime Diaries, Drug Store, How Not Summon Demon Lord S2, Nagatoro, Hidden Dungeon, Promised Neverland S2, Quints S2...

Granted, there've been some decent ones in recently past seasons, like Re:Zero S2 and Dr Stone S2, but after the amazing cavalcade of high quality that were the seasons immediately before the Pandemic....

Watch less Isekai! For every knock-out hit in the genre, there are like a dozen passable to terrible entries... it's depressing as hell, but still a better fad than that "everything is pervy and full of 10-year olds" from the mid 2000's.

My list for the last season?

- OddTaxi
- Super Cub
- ssss.DynaZenon (which is, SOMEHOW, better than ssss.Gridman)
- Vivy: flourite's Eye
- Zomebieland Saga REVENGE

As for the current season...

- SonnyBoy
- Uramichi Oniisan
- Maybe Kaizoku Oujo? It's got a full dub that Adult Swim will be airing alongside the show release, in partnership with Crunchy Roll.

GasBandit

Staff member
TBH I got bored halfway through the first season of Zombieland, so I didn't go back for season 2.

And for some reason, none of the ssssssssssssssssssssss.Anime really caught my fancy.

Super Cub has the unfortunate disadvantage of me having watched Bakuon in the past and it convincing me I'd had enough of cute girl motorcycle anime.

Maybe I'll give the other stuff a look. But it's telling that there hasn't been an anime that's been burning up the meme-sphere in forever. Remember when you couldn't get away from Raphtalia memes? 900 different versions of Giorno's theme on youtube? When normies were freaking the fuck out about Goblin Slayer? Even Kaguya had a modest non-otaku level of exposure. These days I still see Konosuba pop up from time to time, and Zero Two Phut Hon dances are trending again, but that's about it, and that tells me we've crested and are on the down slope.

It just seems like in 2018 and 2019, good anime was beating a path to my doorstep. I'm putting in exactly the same amount of effort and paying exactly the same amount of attention as I was then, and I see very little new that is noteworthy enough to catch on outside of social circles that are associated with body pillow ownership.

Where were you for Nomad, Odd Taxi, Dynazenon, Shadows House, and Moriarty S2?
Probably either passed on them after a cursory glance (Dynazenon) or they had absolutely no footprint outside of deep weeb territory (see above) so I was completely unaware they existed.

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
Another show, from last year, I tried watching and dropped it after the first episode - Zenonzard. Didn't even think enough of it to mention it here. Seems like it basically a blander version of Sekirei only without the gratuitous nudity.

You know, I couldn't even keep my interest in Beastars S2 for more than 4 episodes. Wonder if it's just something up with me.

Super Cub has the unfortunate disadvantage of me having watched Bakuon in the past and it convincing me I'd had enough of cute girl motorcycle anime.
You're doing Super Cub a grave disservice if that's your sole reason for giving it a pass. Super Cub is much calmer, and the use of color and music is outstanding.

You're doing Super Cub a grave disservice if that's your sole reason for giving it a pass. Super Cub is much calmer, and the use of color and music is outstanding.
Super Cub is a much more realistic take on the hobby of scooters that Bakuon, with a much more "this could be you" protagonist. It's super, super chill.

OddTaxi

One of the best anime of the last season. Sadly mostly overlooked. I highly recommend to go in blind and don't look online for any informations.

OddTaxi

One of the best anime of the last season. Sadly mostly overlooked. I highly recommend to go in blind and don't look online for any informations.
I actually argue that it's turning into a sleeper hit; basically everyone I watch on youtube for anime recommendations has put it out there as one of the best in the season.