The Windows 7 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
DarkAudit said:
And in actual Windows 7 news, the main rumor sites are convinced that we're in the home stretch now, and that the RTM version could appear as early as this week. Or within the next two weeks at most. What does the hive-mind plan to do when it pops up? Gonna try to get it early?
My housemates company is in discussion with MS to try and get the RTM for testing purposes atm. If they were to strike a deal they'd be getting it in a week. So the official RTM launch probably won't be far off. I'll pick it up and install it the day they get it.

The pricing for Windows 7 has been announced. It's a bit cheaper than Vista, but not much. There is some good news though.

Arstechnica said:
In select markets, Microsoft is offering its customers the ability to preorder Windows 7 at a significantly reduced price. This is easily the most aggressive pricing Microsoft has ever offered for Windows. The low preorder price will vary per country:

* US: Windows 7 Home Premium ($49.99) and Windows 7 Professional ($99.99)
* Canada: Windows 7 Home Premium ($64.99) and Windows 7 Professional ($124.99)
* Japan: Windows 7 Home Premium (¥7,407) and Windows 7 Professional (¥14,073)
* UK: Windows 7 Home Premium (£49.99) and Windows 7 Professional (£99.99)
* France and Germany: Windows 7 Home Premium (€49.99) and Windows 7 Professional (€109.99)

The deal includes select retail partners, such as Best Buy and Amazon, as well as the online Microsoft Store. This program begins Friday, June 26 in the US, Canada, and Japan. It goes on while supplies last or until July 11 in the US and Canada, and until July 5 in Japan. For the UK, France, and Germany, the preorder starts July 15 and runs while supplies last or until August 14. Microsoft was not willing to discuss the limits of the supplies, but a spokesperson did confirm to Ars that the reduced prices for the European countries will simply apply to the full version (as noted above), as upgrade versions will not exist in Europe. In short, these preorders will allow those in the UK, Germany, and France to purchase full versions of Home Premium or Professional, except without IE8, for a very low price.
Also the upgrade program for new PC's is starting on June 26. If you are thinking of getting a new PC, make sure it comes with the upgrade coupon.

Are those the retail prices or upgrade prices?

Dutch prices end up way waaaay higher.
Ultimate Retail = €319
Ultimate Upgrade = €299
Premium goes for €119,99 and 199,99.

I'll pick it up for free or buy an OEM version, but that's still one hell of a deal.

The prices I quoted are for the upgrade, except for UK France and Germany. Since the EU cannot get the upgrade version they are getting the full version for that price. That price is just a prerelease price though, retail will be much higher.

figmentPez

Staff member
For those that don't know, pre-orders for Windows 7 have started, and they're at a reduced price for a limited time ($50 for a Home Premium upgrade). I'm very tempted to snag a copy, but I'm not sure what all the changes are from Vista (which I'm currently running and having no problems with).

G

GeneralOrder24

I installed win7 last month on a laptop to see how it would run. Installed it, but never got around to using it. The hard drive in my main laptop was going out, so I pulled the one from the laptop with win7, installed it on the new PC, and booted the OS.

The OS booted without incident. After it booted, it installed the drivers for all the hardware on the new laptop on its own. It then asked for a reboot, upon which a quick check revealed that there was NO unknown hardware and it installed drivers for EVERYTHING.

That's pretty damn amazing, considering I went from the shitty $350 walmart bargin bin acer single core athlon processor to a gateway with a dual core intel processor without so much as a sniffle.

Damn.

Mulling over going to my local Best Buy to preorder. In the meantime, there are copies of the 7260 build(newer than the RC, which is 7100) floating around torrent land and USENET. Allegedly, if you have an RC key, it will work.

In actual "news", wzor.net is reporting the RTM date is July 13th.

If I were to install the RTM with my RC code, would I be able to keep this version of 7 when the real version comes out and just update it with my serial code? Avoiding another clean install?

Looking at the discussions at sevenforums.com, you'll need a new key for the RTM version.

And on that note. Since the beta was supposed to expire over this past weekend, if you're not using the RC, what build is everyone using? Once the download and burning is over, I'll be giving 7260 a go...

Not really a double post since this is a day later...

I don't recall any other Microsoft OS doing this...

I did a clean install of the 7260 build, where all my old stuff went to the WINDOWS.OLD folder for putting back later.

After I told it to go ahead, but before any further human input was required, the installer found and installed nvidia drivers for my graphics card, and set my screen resolution to it's normal 1440x900. Every other time I'd end up at 1024x768, and have to go find the graphics drivers later.

It did the same thing for me with the 7100 build though. I think that's standard when you have it set to update install files during install.

Is this it?

Multiple sources are saying this build is legit, but cannot confirm that it is truly the final RTM build.

It's leaking very slowly out of China at present. It'll be sometime tomorrow morning here before the first hands-on reports come in.

The 7260 build is more recent than the "RC" build on Microsoft's own site. If you have an RC key, it will work with the 7260 build. That's what I'm using right now.

The 7600 build is leaking at present. It is not confirmed what this build is, as it is not yet in the wild in any significant numbers.

Shannow

Staff member
DarkAudit said:
The 7260 build is more recent than the "RC" build on Microsoft's own site. If you have an RC key, it will work with the 7260 build. That's what I'm using right now.

The 7600 build is leaking at present. It is not confirmed what this build is, as it is not yet in the wild in any significant numbers.

Yeah, I want to see whats up with the 7600. I will do a reformat with that one once I see it out there and if its worth it.

The 7600 build that has been in the wild today is the 64-bit version only. As of dinnertime on the US east coast, there had not been an appearance of a full 32-bit version.

The build has been deemed legit by those who know such things.

Here's what I know so far... the RC keys that would work with the 72xx or earlier builds will NOT work with with this 7600 build, suggesting that it is at least one of the very final builds before RTM. You will need to do the "rearming" trick to keep it running past the activation window or otherwise hack.

The Creative 64-bit drivers are GARBAGE. My X-Fi Xtreme Music card is completely worthless with 64-bit Windows. The sound is a scratchy, low-volume *mess*. I ended up removing all the Creative software and physically pulling the card. Onboard sound is much nicer.

Creative sucks ass with driver support. They drug their feet with Vista too. All they want is for people to get frustrated and buy new hardware.

Shegokigo said:
Hope they fix that by release, I have an XFI too.
Don't hold your breath. This is the same problem that happened with 64-bit Vista. Still not fixed after 2 and a half years. :eyeroll:

The thing I learned from Vista was to never ever buy Creative soundcards again. Or anything else that requires driver support from them for that matter.

It was what, a year before they had a "release" version of their Vista drivers? It's been over 4 years since the X-Fi was released, and there are STILL no viable open-source drivers.

Shannow

Staff member
DarkAudit said:
Shegokigo said:
Hope they fix that by release, I have an XFI too.
Don't hold your breath. This is the same problem that happened with 64-bit Vista. Still not fixed after 2 and a half years. :eyeroll:

Dark, there is a very good driver fix for creative cards in 64 bit. I have it saved at home still, I think. If I remember when i get out of work, i will post it. My creative xifi works perfect in 64-bit right now.

I know there have been some rumors going around about a “family pack” for Windows 7. We have heard a lot of feedback from beta testers and enthusiasts over the last 3 years that we need a better solution for homes with multiple PCs. I’m happy to confirm that we will indeed be offering a family pack of Windows 7 Home Premium (in select markets) which will allow installation on up to 3 PCs. As I’ve said before, stay tuned to our blog for more information on this and any other potential offers.
This could be really nice if they can keep the price down.

It's official. We have reached RTM. The build was only slightly later than the build that leaked last week.

OEMs (the PC vendors) will be getting their copies by Friday. MSDN and TechNet on August 6. Discs hit stores on October 22.

Bump.

Today is OEM Day. PC vendors get their copies. And it's been leaked already. :eyeroll:

Gonna be hitting up friends/family after the 6th to see if they know someone, or knows someone who knows someone, that has an MSDN or TechNet account. Or if they have an in on Microsoft Connect.

If I were to "aquire" an OEM version, is there anyway to retrieve my "key" that I purchased already and have a fully fuctional "legal" Windows 7 system?

Shegokigo said:
If I were to "aquire" an OEM version, is there anyway to retrieve my "key" that I purchased already and have a fully fuctional "legal" Windows 7 system?
No, you won't get your key until the release date. I'd say just wait it out, you'll probably have less headaches that way.

So it got released on MSDN today.

Downloading it now both 32bit (for my laptop) and 64bit. It's being a bit slow, 300 kbps each, but I guess that was to be expected on launch day. Buying a new HDD tomorrow and then on with the installation. Curious if there'll be a lot of noticeable changes between the RTM and RC.

Shannow

Staff member
64 bit RTM is on my laptop now. Seems pretty much the same. Small things changed, but overall, same. Works extremely well, and is stable as all hell. WoW seems to run a lot better than it did under vista 32 bit on this machine, but I knew that would be the case (I had thwe 7100 release on the laptop for a bit back in jan)

Was going to make a new thread but the search feature found this one, figured I would just continue it.

I had my first chance to try out Window 7 just yesterday. I was very scared after my former issues with Vista, and made multiple backups of some important files and folders. The install went smooth, didn't have any issues at all, and I have to say I am impressed.

The first thing I noticed was a performance boost over XP. It was just running faster and smoother even with all the little visual extras, and blew away Vista for me on the system. I also noticed that everything seemed to setup flawlessly. I didn't even have to configure my network, and all my drivers for my hardware seem to be there. Took me by surprise because I was expecting a lot more setup being required.

I kept WoW hidden away on another hard drive in order to avoid having to reinstall, and that worked great. I noticed even WoW has gotten a FPS increase since I last played before the upgrade.

Really, the only things I think it will take time to get used to is the new application bar merged with quick launch, the gadgets, and the folder design. Otherwise I am pretty happy with it. When I learned it automatically came with a desktop screen capture tool for snipping, I actually found myself way more excited then I should have been.

I fell asleep last night while reinstalling my adobe suite, so I will have to play around more when I get home from work. If this is what I can expect I actually might buy it when it comes out.

Shannow

Staff member
You'll get used to the new bar quick, and then you will wonder how you went without it. I love it. i have had the full retail (ahem) on my laptop for a bit now and the 7100 build on my home pc. i will change that over in a week or two, i think.

No way I am going back to anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.