The Windows 7 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing I noticed about WoW was that patches didn't install correctly when I did what you did. I think what I had to do last time was right click on wow.exe and choose "run as administrator". It has to rebuild some registry settings or something that it can't do unless you run it as administrator.

Very few, if any issues for me. But there is one.

I have an NTFS-formatted external drive. I hooked it up when I had the public RC installed, then I replaced that with a newer RC build, then the RTM build that some dude from Levovo leaked just after the OEMs got their copies. (key, anyone? Please? Pretty please?)

The ownership of the folders on that external drive got borked, since after a reinstall, the unique identifier for the previous "owner" was gone. any file manipulation required admin approval, and trying to move or delete files while in apps like ACDSee got "access denied".

By going in and making myself the owner of the folders once again instead of some weird string of letters and numbers ID'ing the previous me from the last install, I'm able to move files and folders at will again.

The only problem is getting rid of that "other" me from the last install. I keep getting errors because I'm never in what Win7 considers the final "parent" folder from which permissions were inherited down the line.

Shannow

Staff member
if you have an edu email, you can get the full windows 7 for 30 bucks!

I wonder if my old college email is still active.

One thing I noticed about WoW was that patches didn't install correctly when I did what you did. I think what I had to do last time was right click on wow.exe and choose "run as administrator". It has to rebuild some registry settings or something that it can't do unless you run it as administrator.
Does Windows 7 still have UAC then? Because when that's disabled, "run as administrator" is not needed when your account is administrator.

Shannow

Staff member
yup..side note, my old email from years ago works, looks like i did set up the forwarding when I graduated. I will actually have a legit copy of 7 now! woo!

Just got back from the "The New Efficiency" Win 7 launch event in Pittsburgh. Attendees received a free copy of Win 7 Ultimate and a 180-day trial of Windows Server 2008 R2. Small details from the dev track presentations are on my twitter feed @darkaudit.

The Win 7 disc was 32-bit, but I had the 64-bit RTM installed. Key still worked fine.

Amazon's price for the full version of Win7 Ultimate is $319. That's the price I'm using when anyone questions my getting up at 0 dark 30 to head to Pittsburgh this morning. :D

On a side note, Microsoft has released Microsoft Security Essentials, a free antivirus/anti-malware suite. Initial test on Ars Technica was positive. Has anyone given this a look yet?

The full retail version is always a lot more expensive than the OEM version, plus Newegg is giving $15 off.

I'm not sure if I'll try their antivirus or not. Avast works just fine for me.

On a side note, Microsoft has released Microsoft Security Essentials, a free antivirus/anti-malware suite. Initial test on Ars Technica was positive. Has anyone given this a look yet?
Sounds nice, but I'll assume the EU will sue MS over it because of 'monopoly abusing' again.

Yes, it's great, and at least to me, seems a lot slimmer then AVG. It also caught something on it's very first scan (a corrupted .mp3)

I'm very, very impressed.

Since I recently bought a new computer with Vista on it, I have a free upgrade to Win 7 64-bit Home Premium waiting for me when it officially releases.

I'm still debating whether or not I should upgrade, given that everything works fine on Vista, and the thought of needing to search for and download new drivers, over dialup, fills me with dread.

Since I recently bought a new computer with Vista on it, I have a free upgrade to Win 7 64-bit Home Premium waiting for me when it officially releases.

I'm still debating whether or not I should upgrade, given that everything works fine on Vista, and the thought of needing to search for and download new drivers, over dialup, fills me with dread.
In most cases the Vista drivers will work fine. I've been running 7 for months now, and I had to go with Vista drivers for my mouse/keyboard/printer as they're not available via Windows Update, and the vendors don't have 7-specific drivers yet.

I set compatibility mode as Vista and ran as administrator. HP printer software and Logitech keyboard and mouse drivers working fine on this box running 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

C

Chazwozel

The damn Windows 7 update adviser won't install on my laptop!

So question:

I got: Win XP office, 1.73 GHz single processor (Intel M), 2 gigs of RAM and a Nvidia Go 6600 256 meg video card. Am I good to go for Win 7 Home 32 bit on my laptop? Keep in mind the most I do on my laptop is use Office 2007 and productivity stuff. No gaming etc...

From Microsoft:
If you want to run Windows 7 on your PC, here's what it takes:
1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver
You should be OK. It works just as well as XP did on my Netbook.

C

Chazwozel

From Microsoft:
If you want to run Windows 7 on your PC, here's what it takes:
1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver
You should be OK. It works just as well as XP did on my Netbook.
Much obliged. Yeah for 30 bucks, I figure what the hell. Might as well upgrade the 32 bit version and just run my laptop for a couple of years.

This is annoying.

I'm running the release version of Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit, with a WinTV 950 USB TV tuner stick and amplified rabbit ears. The TV signal strength meters in Media Center show a big fat zero on all channels, yet the three subchannels of WNPB (the only OTA channel within 40 miles of here) come in just fine. That makes it useless to try to adjust the antenna to try to gather in any of the more distant channels. :p

I will qualify this to say that Hauppauge has yet to deliver drivers specifically for Windows 7. Same goes for Logitech and HP. Only a week to go, fellas.

I've been having issues with going to different wired networks on my netbook. It won't recognize it has a cable plugged in until I disable and re-enable the connection. Other than that it's been working fine.

figmentPez

Staff member
Microsoft teamed up with Burger King for the launch of Windows 7 in Japan:
via Engadget

That's Whopper with 7 patties. The first 30 people get it for ¥777 ($8.55), after that it's ¥1,450 ($17.10).

C

Chazwozel

So I bought that digital river download of Win 7 for 30 bucks. I can download it, but they never gave me the product keys.

Well I got some shit news.

The Pre-Order I got for $60 isn't a full version, it's an upgrade to use on my Vista. :eek:rly:

Any downsides to using upgrades vs full versions? I've never had to do it this way before.

You just need to have Vista around somewhere. On the hard drive or on a disk on a shelf, doesn't matter. You can still do a clean install. The only difference in the two is the check for an existing version.

C

Chazwozel

So to install fresh, I have to fully install Vista, then install 7 on top of it?
No. It'll require you to pop in your vista disk for like 2 seconds and then proceed with the Win 7 install.

That's how my Win 2000 to Xp upgrade worked anyway.

Oh wow, really? I always had a misconception about upgrades and always avoided them because of it.

I'm not so bummed out about it anymore! :D-:thumbsup:

C

Chazwozel

Oh wow, really? I always had a misconception about upgrades and always avoided them because of it.

I'm not so bummed out about it anymore! :D-:thumbsup:
Yeah, the only difference between the upgrade and full version packages is the upgrade package, in addition to your product key, requires you to essentially use your old Window's disk as another "product key" to unlock the install process.

Dave

Staff member
I bought my machine with Vista installed and don't recall ever getting the disk. This means that I'll be unable to even upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.