The Windows 7 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm in love with Windows7, I really am. I didn't want to be, but it wood me...

wooed?

woo'd?

...past tense of woo.

I bought my machine with Vista installed and don't recall ever getting the disk. This means that I'll be unable to even upgrade.
There should be an option somewhere for you to burn a set of recovery discs. You should do that right away if you haven't already.

C

Chazwozel

Ok, so I got an issue. I'd like to install my second copy of Win 7 onto my laptop. I have a Geforce GO 6600 in it. Nvidia and Alienware do not supply or support new drivers for this card, but I read up and this place does: http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/

I've read through the FAQ several times and still have no clue how to search for my specific driver. Anyone ever use this place?

figmentPez

Staff member
So to install fresh, I have to fully install Vista, then install 7 on top of it?
No. It'll require you to pop in your vista disk for like 2 seconds and then proceed with the Win 7 install.

That's how my Win 2000 to Xp upgrade worked anyway.[/QUOTE]

That's my understanding of upgrades from 98 through Vista, possibly even before. However, that's not what Microsoft has said in the Windows Team Blog:
Moving to Windows 7 FAQ

Question: What if I need to reinstall Windows 7 and only have an upgrade version?

If for some reason you need to reinstall Windows 7 and have the upgrade version you will be required to install a previous version of Windows before installing Windows 7.
Let us know how things go Shego, I'm very curious to find out.

They now require Vista or XP to be installed and validated before you can use the upgrade to Win 7. They changed it.

You can still do a clean install (format and do a fresh install), you just need to have a version of Vista or XP installed at the start of the install. I haven't heard any bad things about simply upgrading from Vista though.

C

Chazwozel

Isn't that going to be bloated as hell?
So I just did this last night Sheg. If you're in XP you must clean install, and it gives you an option to save your files in a temp folder Win7 makes called Windows.old. This folder has everything that was on your old hard drive. Just drag and drop into your new Win7 folders and then delete the Windows.old folder. No bloating.

---------- Post added at 09:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 AM ----------

Oh and Windows 7 is amazing.

A

Alucard

I've got 4 Gbs of Memory on my laptop but windows vista 32 bit home edition only reads 3.5 of that would 7 read all 4 of my memory?

A

Alucard

Crap why can't they just have one edition? I was at Walmart this morning and they have the new windows out damn its expensive.

figmentPez

Staff member
Crap why can't they just have one edition?
If you're referring to the 32-bit vs 64-bit:
1. Some processors still don't support 64-bit, like Intel's Atom processor.
2. There are some devices that don't have 64-bit drivers. Palm PDAs (can only sync via Bluetooth in 64-bit, no USB), some TV tuners, scanners, sound cards, etc.
3. A small amount of programs won't work in 64-bit.

It's likely that Windows 8 will no longer have a 32-bit version, but there are rumors it will have a 128-bit version (which consumers won't need to worry about).

If you're referring to Starter, Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate, etc., presumably Microsoft thinks they can maximize their profits that way.

A

Alucard

Ahh how original it just still seems silly that they cant just create them like they used to. Ahh the good old days of windows 3.1

A few things I've learned since I made the plunge to windows 7. You can do a clean install with the upgrade copy, you just have to install it first without putting in the registration code, then reinstall it a second time using the registration code this time. It worked on three of our computers as early as yesterday.

As I understand it, the retail disks for Windows 7 include both the 32 and 64 bit versions of windows, but I may be wrong.

G

GeneralOrder24

A few things I've learned since I made the plunge to windows 7. You can do a clean install with the upgrade copy, you just have to install it first without putting in the registration code, then reinstall it a second time using the registration code this time. It worked on three of our computers as early as yesterday.

As I understand it, the retail disks for Windows 7 include both the 32 and 64 bit versions of windows, but I may be wrong.
Yep. Picked up the home premium 3pack today, and it's got 2 dvds with it.

What bothers me is that, contrary to the RC that I'd installed almost anywhere and everywhere, the final build seems to be struggling with the first machine I'd installed it on. Now, I never attempted to put win7 rc onto this machine before, so it's possible the RC would have done the same, but it's still having alot of issues that are...frustrating. The stylus occasionally works....and then stops. The Wifi card goes from full to no and back to full signal for no reason, while no other machine on the network does.

I'm baffled, but I think it may just be because it's a couple of years old. I guess I was just expecting the magic of windows to extend its hand further than it did.

Shannow

Staff member
Ok, so I got an issue. I'd like to install my second copy of Win 7 onto my laptop. I have a Geforce GO 6600 in it. Nvidia and Alienware do not supply or support new drivers for this card, but I read up and this place does: http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/

I've read through the FAQ several times and still have no clue how to search for my specific driver. Anyone ever use this place?
I did for mine. Should be right at the top. I can walk you through it if you need to later.

C

Chazwozel

I did for mine. Should be right at the top. I can walk you through it if you need to later.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I figured it out. I forgot that Nvidia drivers are universal for everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.