[Movies] Thor: The Dark World

I would find that cooler except for the fact my wife is a notorious movie talker and it can kind of get on my nerves. This movie was actually one of her worst. We watched the original Thor together, and I saw Avengers with her whole family, but the only thing she seemed to remember about either was that Chris Hemsworth has a hot body, because she was making me fill her in on everything.

Wife: What does Jane Foster even do?
Me: She is an astrophysicist, a scientist.

Wife: Who is that naked guy?
Me: Eric Selvig, he was in Thor and Avengers.

Wife: The Asgardians didn't hide that stuff well if she could just accidentally teleport to it.
Me: It likely wanted to be found, so it pulled her there.

Wife: Why does Loki want to be ruler? Surely he grew up knowing Thor was supposed to be king.
Me: He is power hungry? Now SHHHHHH.
Now see, why didn't you guys just re-watch the first one to avoid that sort of thing? Or at least SOME of the questions.

Also, there's no way I could be with someone like that. It'd be like taking a 5-year old to see a movie. No offence to your wife.

I took this out of spoilers, as this is the FIRST movie really, and beyond a year, you don't need to spoiler things unless the movie is super-obscure (like Primer or something) :
Wife: Why does Loki want to be ruler? Surely he grew up knowing Thor was supposed to be king.
Didn't your wife have to read and/or see Hamlet in High School? It's not like the younger sibling wanting power is a NEW trope.

I have a female friend that is the same way.

Her: Who is that?
Her: What's he doing there?
Her: What's that thing?

Me: WE'RE TEN MINUTES IN. I'M WATCHING THE SAME GODDAMN MOVIE YOU ARE. I DON'T KNOW EITHER, JUST WAIT AND ASSUME THAT THE MOVIE WILL EVENTUALLY TELL US THESE THINGS!

Cajungal

Staff member
I don't like that either. The occasional question is ok, especially when you can pause it, but endless questions drive me nuts. I know I must do it sometime too, though. That's how it goes with many things that irritate me. Can't watch movies with the mother in law, because she loudly announces what's going to happen next long after everyone else had silently figured it out.

Heh, my wife was completely silent through the movie, but I was answering questions for her pre-emptively, because she's seen none of the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies before, so I knew she'd be lost.

"That's Jotunheim, the frost giant world from the first movie."
"Thor can fly because he's holding on to his hammer. Without his hammer, he can't fly."
"That's Captain America."
"Jane punched Loki because Loki attacked New York in the Avengers."

I'm surprised she didn't divorce me after the film.

My dad does the question thing. But he only does it to be as annoying as possible, and at home, not in a theater. ;)

I have a female friend that is the same way.

Her: Who is that?
Her: What's he doing there?
Her: What's that thing?

Me: WE'RE TEN MINUTES IN. I'M WATCHING THE SAME GODDAMN MOVIE YOU ARE. I DON'T KNOW EITHER, JUST WAIT AND ASSUME THAT THE MOVIE WILL EVENTUALLY TELL US THESE THINGS!
I hate this so much. I've told people before "Maybe if you paid attention instead of asking me questions, you'd already know the answer."

Woof, other than that one really big "Spock in a Cave" moment, I enjoyed the movie enough.

I don't really feel like it was random chance that Jane stumbled onto the Aether. It's a cosmic power, one of the infinity gems, it probably drew her there to be set free. Stupendously powerful ultra artifacts are like that.

Woof, other than that one really big "Spock in a Cave" moment, I enjoyed the movie enough.

I don't really feel like it was random chance that Jane stumbled onto the Aether. It's a cosmic power, one of the infinity gems, it probably drew her there to be set free. Stupendously powerful ultra artifacts are like that.
Huh, it just occurred to me the One Ring could be an Infinity Gem.

Hogun got the real Jet Li in the Expendables 2 treatment.

"Well, we got too many characters, who do we lose? The black guy or the asian guy?"

"The asian. The asian for sure."

"Okie dokie."

-cut to the movie.

"Hogun, you are a good friend, but we're leaving you here because reasons."

THOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR THE DAAAAAAAAAAAAARK WOOOOOOOOOOORLD!

Now see, why didn't you guys just re-watch the first one to avoid that sort of thing? Or at least SOME of the questions. Also, there's no way I could be with someone like that. It'd be like taking a 5-year old to see a movie. No offence to your wife.
It's very rare that she would watch a superhero movie twice, more so with the kid around now, so watching it again was not really an option. Even then, she can be pretty bad about remembering certain things in movies, even ones we just watched. The two of us had many a discussion in the car because she would forget about a certain section of a scene, leading to me having to explain it to her again so she understood the purpose.

Really, I don't mind too much filling her in one some details. It allows me to geek out a bit, it's just the times she goes a bit nuts with it that I get a little crazy. That, and those times she asks me what people said, or asks me questions that the movie itself tells you.

Odin: ... Frigga...
Wife: What did he just say?
Me: Frigga.
Wife: Frigga?
Me: Thor's mother. (My mind: Thor introduced her like 5 minutes ago!)

It's very rare that she would watch a superhero movie twice, more so with the kid around now, so watching it again was not really an option. Even then, she can be pretty bad about remembering certain things in movies, even ones we just watched. The two of us had many a discussion in the car because she would forget about a certain section of a scene, leading to me having to explain it to her again so she understood the purpose.

Really, I don't mind too much filling her in one some details. It allows me to geek out a bit, it's just the times she goes a bit nuts with it that I get a little crazy. That, and those times she asks me what people said, or asks me questions that the movie itself tells you.

Odin: ... Frigga...
Wife: What did he just say?
Me: Frigga.
Wife: Frigga?
Me: Thor's mother. (My mind: Thor introduced her like 5 minutes ago!)
Every time my best friend and I go to see a comic book movie, he gets a 20 min debriefing afterwards on the characters in the movie (yes, he does ask, I don't just foist it on him).

Every time my best friend and I go to see a comic book movie, he gets a 20 min debriefing afterwards on the characters in the movie (yes, he does ask, I don't just foist it on him).
Same here for the most part, though my wife usually gets bored after a few minutes. That or we run into a bit of an issue once again with her remembering things.

Conversation literally 10 minutes after the movie ended.
Me: So the Infinity Gems are these universal constants, items of great power. That guy at the end of the Avengers seeks to collect them.
Wife: Guy at the end?
Me: Yes, Thanos.
Wife: Thanos? You mean the weird guy at the end of Thor 2?
Me: No that was the Collector. Thanos was at the end of the Avengers, the guy with the purple face.
Wife: Purple face? I don't remember all that minut crap.
Me: ... Anyways in the original Thor, they showed in the vault that they have a item called the Infinity Gauntlet...
Wife: Let's go to the store I need to pick up a few things.
Conversation over. :rolleyes:

Same here for the most part, though my wife usually gets bored after a few minutes. That or we run into a bit of an issue once again with her remembering things.

Conversation literally 10 minutes after the movie ended.
Me: So the Infinity Gems are these universal constants, items of great power. That guy at the end of the Avengers seeks to collect them.
Wife: Guy at the end?
Me: Yes, Thanos.
Wife: Thanos? You mean the weird guy at the end of Thor 2?
Me: No that was the Collector. Thanos was at the end of the Avengers, the guy with the purple face.
Wife: Purple face? I don't remember all that minut crap.
Me: ... Anyways in the original Thor, they showed in the vault that they have a item called the Infinity Gauntlet...
Wife: Let's go to the store I need to pick up a few things.
Conversation over. :rolleyes:
Heh, my wife stews on the movie and then pops up questions afterwards. We saw the film in the morning, but that night as we were cooking dinner, she suddenly came up with, "Can Thor's hammer travel through space to get to him when he's been transported to another realm? I mean, we saw the hammer fly off into space, right? So does that mean if it travels far enough, it can eventually reach the Dark World?"

To which I had to admit I didn't know.

Heh, my wife stews on the movie and then pops up questions afterwards. We saw the film in the morning, but that night as we were cooking dinner, she suddenly came up with, "Can Thor's hammer travel through space to get to him when he's been transported to another realm? I mean, we saw the hammer fly off into space, right? So does that mean if it travels far enough, it can eventually reach the Dark World?"

To which I had to admit I didn't know.
The answer is yes.

So I was checking out Wikipedia earlier and it seems Thor 2 just got into the top ten for the years worldwide gross. Not bad for only being in theaters a little over a week. Still has a long way to go through if it wants to get close to Iron Man 3.

So as an aside, did anyone think this format of treating the movies like comics (different characters and stories, but all interconnected) was going to be as big of a hit as it has become?

So I was checking out Wikipedia earlier and it seems Thor 2 just got into the top ten for the years worldwide gross. Not bad for only being in theaters a little over a week. Still has a long way to go through if it wants to get close to Iron Man 3.

So as an aside, did anyone think this format of treating the movies like comics (different characters and stories, but all interconnected) was going to be as big of a hit as it has become?
I'm not surprised. It's basically taking Hollywood's love of sequels to a new level, people are more likely to go to a movie they've heard of before. I wonder if this will lead to the same problem that comics ran into though, in that new fans have trouble finding an entry point to the new material without having to go through a long backlog to catch up.

Maybe movies will start incorporating little yellow boxes to mention which movies certain references came from.

Finally saw it. Eh. It was entertaining, but it had some flaws IMO.

We'll see how well Marvel can keep this whole thing rolling.

I have movie-talkers in my family. I don't watch movies with them.

I don't have movie-talker friends, because you can choose who your friends are, and I did not choose people like that.

As for the movie ... I felt it was weak for the first two-thirds. The first battle seemed like it was forcing the sense of fun and comradery from the first movie's venture into Jotunheim. Certain dramatic scenes just didn't carry weight. The action stuff didn't feel like it had much momentum. Once the climax gets underway, I started liking the movie more. I'm not sure having a TV director take this on was the best choice, because that's where I feel the trouble was coming from.

Saw it. Loved it. No complaints.
Beginning to end it was exactly what I wanted out of a Thor movie and more.

The Frigga scenes? Amazing.
The Loki scenes? Predictable but amazing.
The Thor scenes? Badassary every time.
The Jane scenes? Forced but necessary.
The Odin scenes? Weak but to the point.
The battle? Epic.

Best part?
One down.... five to go....

Green_Lantern

Staff member
Saw it. Loved it. No complaints.
Beginning to end it was exactly what I wanted out of a Thor movie and more.

The Frigga scenes? Amazing.
The Loki scenes? Predictable but amazing.
The Thor scenes? Badassary every time.
The Jane scenes? Forced but necessary.
The Odin scenes? Weak but to the point.
The battle? Epic.

Best part?
One down.... five to go....
No love for Darcy Lewis?

This movie only flaw is that we have to yet get a scene between Darcy and Loki, that is epic.

No love for Darcy Lewis?

This movie only flaw is that we have to yet get a scene between Darcy and Loki, that is epic.
Holy hell I forgot to mention this:

Special note, I just recently watched the first two seasons of -Two Broke Girls- and it only amplified how much I enjoyed her character in the movie. She was in top form. Everyone in the film was. It really was a very solid movie.