[UnBrazelton] Futurama …again

On Hulu this time. Pretty much the entire voice cast confirmed to be returning.

I have mixed feelings. Yay more Futurama, but the last revival was okay and it was over 10 years ago.

doomdragon6

Staff member
I was obsessed with Futurama throughout my teens. When they came back the (.. third? Second time?) I was fucking ecstatic. I was counting down the days to the releases. I really enjoyed them, barring some plot threads I thought were out of character. A couple years ago I binged the whole series and it was like being 13-19 again. I'll definitely watch this, but I have no expectations. I fully predict they'll go down the road of too-on-the-nose commentary that a lot of older adult cartoons go these days. (Less "unique stories" and more "Here's a thing that's relevant now!!") Think the Eye-Phone episode from the Futurama revival several years back. Wasn't very good, interesting, or in-character, and was full of forced nudges at culturally relevant topics.

I'm convinced Matt Groening is some kind of showrunner necromancer. One way or another, for better or worse, anything he creates just doesn't die.

Yeah, I don't know. I liked Futurama well enough but not enough to get excited for another revival.

John DiMaggio isn't coming back for Bender, apparently, and they'll recast the part. Why even bother?

I can't argue with his sentiment.
I have already had the argument with people who think that cartoons "...are not acting. The dude drawing the pictures is the one doing all the 'acting,' the voice guy just does the voice."

--Patrick

I can't argue with his sentiment.
I have already had the argument with people who think that cartoons "...are not acting. The dude drawing the pictures is the one doing all the 'acting,' the voice guy just does the voice."

--Patrick
Of course, the animators probably also deserve to be paid more as well, but don't tell those people that.

Futurama's one of a VERY limited number of shows that's actually elicited a deeper response than "that was good" or "that was bad" in me. Jurassic Bark, for example, absolutely destroyed me. I quite liked the revival as well and thought the ending was nice and sweet.

I really, REALLY want this to be good. Please be good.

figmentPez

Staff member
John DiMaggio To Return For ‘Futurama’ Revival On Hulu: “#Bendergate Is Officially Over”

“I’M BACK, BABY! So damn grateful for the love and support of fans and colleagues alike during this whole time (especially my wife, Kate), and I cannot wait to get back to work with my Futurama family,” DiMaggio said. “#Bendergate is officially over, so put it on the back of a shelf behind Xmas decorations, or maybe in that kitchen drawer with all of the other crap you put in there like old unusable crazy glue, or maybe even put it in a jar you save farts in. Whatever floats your boat, I don’t care, you get the picture. I’M BACK, BABY! BITE MY SHINY METAL ASS!”

I wonder if we'll get more details on the deal they worked out. Did DiMaggio get a pay bump? Did the whole cast? Or did he cave and just accepted the pay rate he didn't want to take previously?

I wonder if we'll get more details on the deal they worked out. Did DiMaggio get a pay bump? Did the whole cast? Or did he cave and just accepted the pay rate he didn't want to take previously?
Assuming he was being honest and saying that he was declining because he and the rest of the case were being denied reasonable raises to reprise their roles, then hopefully he held out until everyone got one. If not then he's full of himself and kind of an ass.

Assuming he was being honest and saying that he was declining because he and the rest of the case were being denied reasonable raises to reprise their roles, then hopefully he held out until everyone got one. If not then he's full of himself and kind of an ass.
You can really only negotiate for yourself. Knowing what your time is worth and refusing to sell yourself short isn't being an ass, nor would he have been an ass if he simply decided he didn't want to do it at all.

You can really only negotiate for yourself. Knowing what your time is worth and refusing to sell yourself short isn't being an ass, nor would he have been an ass if he simply decided he didn't want to do it at all.
I didn’t say he’d be an ass for refusing a job because he isn’t being paid enough. He claimed he wasn’t taking the job because the entire cast wasn’t getting paid what they deserved and he was choosing not to join on principle. Which is admirable. But if it just ended up joining just because HE is getting paid more than that kinda makes him an ass for pretending to be otherwise.

Dave

Staff member
Burro out! GET IT?!?

You guys give me shit about being rat toes intolerant and this joke is just as bad. BY A PROFESSIONAL!

That's harsh.
I may occasionally mention that he's older than sliced bread* but I'd never claim I didn't love him!

*Or the concept of slices. Or the concept of bread.

That's harsh.
I may occasionally mention that he's older than sliced bread* but I'd never claim I didn't love him!

*Or the concept of slices. Or the concept of bread.
Fun fact -- The day of @Dave 's birth is actually closer to the invention of sliced bread than it is to today.