Video Game News and Miscellany

figmentPez

Staff member
I'm going to be honest, I never understood what the cards were for or how to do crafting or why I should care
I only care because I can sell them for Steam Wallet funds. I've bought ~$50 worth of games with money from selling trading cards. (And over $160 worth of stuff if you include the Team Fortress 2 items I sold.)

Other than that, badges increase your "Steam Level" and that's mostly fake internet points, but it also does increase the number of friends you can have. (I don't know what the base number is, but it's generous enough that it doesn't matter to most people.)

This video rules.

Jason Schrier's story about how project leads would constantly use the refrain "It'll turn out ok, we made Witcher 3." also rules.

What a train wreck.

Also, they have a shiny roadmap that basically details the next 6 months of game dev time are for trying to fix the ps4 and xbox versions and that they're basically happy with the PC version (which is hilarious). So look forward to no improvements PC users.

Overpromised games shouldn't be pulling a Molyneux anymore, they should be pulling a Cyberpunk.

Last edited:
Okay, but I seriously almost woke my kids bursting into laughter when one clip was a player opening a door just for it to have the wall behind it. That is some loony toons shit.

Luckily, CDPR's absolutely desperate need to be the good guys, despite basically only lying about being so, makes it one of the easiest games of the planet to get a hold of via the high seas.

figmentPez

Staff member
Steam is Coming to Chrome OS

"According to an interview from Android Police with Google Chrome OS Director of Product Management Kan Liu, Google is working to bring native Steam support to Chrome OS devices, and Valve might be helping to make it happen."

While this is interesting, I'm not about to get excited until I see how this works in practice, and maybe not even then.
I was recently reminded of this project and:
Native Steam (Borealis) on Chrome OS likely arriving mid-2021

Seems like this project is still under-way. I've been wondering how big a deal Valve and Google will want to make of it, especially since it seems like an indirect competitor to Google pushing Stadia, though maybe they realize that there's room for both? (Sharing? That doesn't seem like Google...) Google is feeling a lot of pressure from Windows laptops, and better gaming could go a long way to making Chromebooks competitive.

On one hand, it would be cool to seem them partner with GamePad Digital and make a GPD Chromebook with built-in gamepad. Or to see Valve unveil a Steam Controller 2 (after all, the SC was alongside Steam OS, Boxes, and Link when it first came out.) I'm hoping they don't push the Stadia controller as the default way to play games on Chrome OS, because that controller is awful.

On the other, Valve may still feel burnt by the failure of Steam OS, or the unexpected success of Half-Life: Alyx and the suddenly-not-dead nature of VR may have them still focused on building more Index VR hardware. In any case I'm really curious to see what they do to market Steam on Chrome OS, especially since this could be the first major product launch from Valve since they hired someone to specifically be in charge of marketing.

The slippery slope to pegging must be the cause of all of those "I accidentally in the shower and fell onto it" incidents.

--Patrick

Bless me ballsack boys, @Ravenpoe was 100% correct to reinstall New Vegas.

This was just posted on the Frontier's site:

Some deeply concerning news has emerged in the past few hours. We have been recently notified that one of our developers, ZuTheSkunk, had posted animated pedophillic content on their personal artist accounts. The items in question are deeply disturbing to the entire team, and we condemn them in the strongest sense. ZuTheSkunk has since been removed from the Development Team and banned off of our Community Discord. We will be conducting dialogue with members of the development team to hear their thoughts regarding the current situation and help make our decision more informed. We have stopped production and work on the mod to address the current events properly. More measures will be undertaken and a more detailed address will be posted soon.
The mod has also been set to hidden on the Nexus, and apparently its Steam release has been thrown into doubt.

The general feeling on r/Fallout is "Huh... you know, that would explain a lot of the weird shit found in this mod."

Gross. I only got like right past the beginning and then some quest NPCs got stuck on terrain and I couldn't continue so that was that for me.

This was just posted on the Frontier's site:

The mod has also been set to hidden on the Nexus, and apparently its Steam release has been thrown into doubt.

The general feeling on r/Fallout is "Huh... you know, that would explain a lot of the weird shit found in this mod."
And some assholes start blaming cancel culture for the removal of the mod by the devs.

figmentPez

Staff member
If you ask me, this just goes to show how fucking broken our patent system is. Putting more buttons on something is not worthy of a patent. They're not a different type of button. Musical instruments should have been brought up as prior art in this case and had it thrown out of court. It is not a novel idea to have controls operated by a different finger! Woodwind instruments have had controls operated by all of the fingers for thousands of years.

If you ask me, this just goes to show how fucking broken our patent system is. Putting more buttons on something is not worthy of a patent. They're not a different type of button. Musical instruments should have been brought up as prior art in this case and had it thrown out of court. It is not a novel idea to have controls operated by a different finger! Woodwind instruments have had controls operated by all of the fingers for thousands of years.
Agreed. Although it's not QUITE the same, apparently WB has or is planning on trademarking the Nemesis system from the Lord of the Rings games. Which I hate because it's an interesting system that I'd love to see what other developers might do with the idea.

figmentPez

Staff member
I'm still pissed at the company who patented playing a mini-game during loading screens. (I think that one has expired, but it's not really as relevant now, is it?)

Not even EA/Bioware could figure out how to download Pinnacle Station.

PS: Pinnacle Station is hot garbage and was endemic of DLC of the time. Just a hastily thrown together time trial that matters less than nothing.

Not even EA/Bioware could figure out how to download Pinnacle Station.
C'mon, it wasn't that hard...

I mean, it was harder then it was worth, but the process was pretty much the same as most non-p2p downloads at the time...

No, wait, ME1 came out 2007... and i was clearly thinking of early '00 game patch downloads. Nvm...

C'mon, it wasn't that hard...

I mean, it was harder then it was worth, but the process was pretty much the same as most non-p2p downloads at the time...

No, wait, ME1 came out 2007... and i was clearly thinking of early '00 game patch downloads. Nvm...
You had to make a bioware account and then do some weird voodoo and it sucked anyway because the dlc was literally just a shooting gallery