Video Game News and Miscellany

BEWARE about offline characters! There's a mode that used to be called Solo Challenge. The text (at least during early access) says that you share your stash. You do not, in fact, share your stash. I had HUNDREDS of thousands of gold tied up in stash tabs (you can have like 100 of them) all color coded and set up for ease of use. I have 75+ levels of my main just filling it up so I could help new characters level. Nope. I had to change his mode and lost everything to share a stash. I know it's my fault to not look into it more before I did it, but the tool tip specifically stated you could share between characters in that mode.
I'm not sure I understand what happened to you here. I have "offline" (which isn't truly offline at the moment) and online characters, and have separate stash sets for both. No, stashes can't be used between the two types of gameplay, but I've never had my stash disappear on me or be lost.

Right now all characters are on EHG's servers and are technically online. There will be an actual offline mode with 1.0.

Yeah, lots of franchises are going to be sold off for the cheap because they do not have the funding to continue. I'm looking forward to seeing what gets picked up.

figmentPez

Staff member

Dave

Staff member
I was just reading that. And they are NOT releasing the games back to the devs. It's just "lol fuck you. Love, WB."

figmentPez

Staff member
Steam Family Sharing is changing.

The biggest thing is that it's going to be less restrictive about sharing games from your library. Previously playing any game from your library locked out the whole thing. If your family member was playing your copy of Portal 2, and you started up Half-Life, then they'd get booted from Portal 2. Under the new system that won't happen. If they're playing Portal 2, you can play any other game in your library just fine.

The way sharing gets set up is changing, and getting somewhat more restrictive but easier to set up. Previously you could share your library with a set number of accounts, but you had to log in on one of their devices to authorize them, and it was not at all an intuitive system. Now you'll set up a family group of up to 6 members, and once you're in a family all your games will be automatically shared between the accounts. There are restrictions / cooldowns on joining families, and the available slots in a family.

There's also distinctions between how Adult and Child accounts work in families, as well. See the link for details on all of this.

EDIT: Also of note is that if someone in your family gets banned while playing your copy of a game, you'll get banned from that game as well. So share wisely.

Steam Family Sharing is changing.

The biggest thing is that it's going to be less restrictive about sharing games from your library. Previously playing any game from your library locked out the whole thing. If your family member was playing your copy of Portal 2, and you started up Half-Life, then they'd get booted from Portal 2. Under the new system that won't happen. If they're playing Portal 2, you can play any other game in your library just fine.

The way sharing gets set up is changing, and getting somewhat more restrictive but easier to set up. Previously you could share your library with a set number of accounts, but you had to log in on one of their devices to authorize them, and it was not at all an intuitive system. Now you'll set up a family group of up to 6 members, and once you're in a family all your games will be automatically shared between the accounts. There are restrictions / cooldowns on joining families, and the available slots in a family.

There's also distinctions between how Adult and Child accounts work in families, as well. See the link for details on all of this.

EDIT: Also of note is that if someone in your family gets banned while playing your copy of a game, you'll get banned from that game as well. So share wisely.
This is mostly good news for me. Thanks for the update!

figmentPez

Staff member
A little early for April Fools, aren't we?

GOG.com teaming up with Luna cloud streaming service

The post is scant on details, but presumably this will work similarly to Ubisoft's partnership. If you have a Luna or Prime subscription, any games you own on GOG that are also available on Luna can be streamed. Cyberpunk 2077 will be one of the games, but no word on what other games will be available.

Notably GOG cloud saves will work with Luna, which was one of the bigger drawbacks of Luna. When I tried to play Control on Luna, I was disappointed to find that there's no way to transfer saved games to PC from that game. Even for games that do support downloading of saved games, there's no automated system to sync things, currently.

Although I'm skeptical about cloud gaming, and absolutely shocked that GOG is partnering with Luna, this does seem to be a good step for cloud gaming. The ability to own (as much as owning any game is possible in the US) the games you're playing on the cloud is a much better option than indefinitely renting a game.

Last edited:
The following items that are DLC can also be obtained in-game for free.

• Art of Metamorphosis - Character Editor
  • Ambivalent Rift Incense - Change Pawn Inclinations
  • Portcrystal - Warp Location Marker
  • Wakestone - Restore the dead to life!
  • 500 Rift Crystals / 1500 Rift Crystals / 2500 Rift Crystals - Points to Spend Beyond the Rift (this is your currency for recruiting pawns from other players and their players get the currency when you do it and is common)
  • Makeshift Gaol Key - Escape from gaol!
  • Harpysnare Smoke Beacons - Harpy Lure Item
Capcom has also said they are going to add in a restart feature, though they should have put it in at launch. They are -very- aware of how bad they look right now and are shifting very quickly.

Dave

Staff member
The following items that are DLC can also be obtained in-game for free.

• Art of Metamorphosis - Character Editor
  • Ambivalent Rift Incense - Change Pawn Inclinations
  • Portcrystal - Warp Location Marker
  • Wakestone - Restore the dead to life!
  • 500 Rift Crystals / 1500 Rift Crystals / 2500 Rift Crystals - Points to Spend Beyond the Rift (this is your currency for recruiting pawns from other players and their players get the currency when you do it and is common)
  • Makeshift Gaol Key - Escape from gaol!
  • Harpysnare Smoke Beacons - Harpy Lure Item
Capcom has also said they are going to add in a restart feature, though they should have put it in at launch. They are -very- aware of how bad they look right now and are shifting very quickly.
From a review site.

After launch, CAPCOM added microtransactions to the game. One of them is the Portcrystal, which can be purchased for $2.99 USD. I don't know if that means you can spend $30 on 10 Portcrystals immediately or not. I won't be testing the feature, and I recommend people find these out in the world rather than spending money on them. Fast travel as a microtransaction is stomach-turning and I hope this decision is reversed. So far, in my playtime, I've found three.
So maybe you can get these things in game by grinding. Whoop de freaking do. Take item. Lock behind severe grind or paywall. People defend the asshole business practices, which reiterates to the boardroom that "these people will pay for anything including microtransactions in a single player game".

Fuck off, Capcom.

There are 6 portcrystals in Dragon's Dogma 2. All 6 are just... lying on the ground and are free and are reusuable. You can literally just pick them back up and put them somewhere else and this includes bringing them with you into New Game+, where you can have hit that 10 location max without having spent a dime. There are also permanent ones in major locations. The actual limiting factor for quick travel with portcrystals are the flightstones you need to use them and those aren't paid DLC period. You have to find them in chests or buy them in town, which is exactly how it worked in the last game. -ALL- of this is how it worked in the last game, which came out 12 years ago. None of this is surprising to fans of the previous game.

There are also the infinite use Ox Carts that you use, that also act as quick travel between set locations. These are new, cheap, and yes, you can get ambushed and have to fight a battle, but then you can just get back on and finish the trip. I am -very- happy about this new inclusion.

My point here isn't to defend Capcom's business decisions (because fuck me, this is a 70 dollar game and fuck that noise) but to make a point that people are looking at this very specific feature in a way that doesn't reflect the reality of the situation. You don't NEED to spend money on this or feel penalized for not doing so. You get plenty for free, can hit the max for free in your second run, and it's not even the limiting factor of the feature.

Dave

Staff member
There are 6 portcrystals in Dragon's Dogma 2. All 6 are just... lying on the ground and are free and are reusuable. You can literally just pick them back up and put them somewhere else and this includes bringing them with you into New Game+, where you can have hit that 10 location max without having spent a dime. There are also permanent ones in major locations. The actual limiting factor for quick travel with portcrystals are the flightstones you need to use them and those aren't paid DLC period. You have to find them in chests or buy them in town, which is exactly how it worked in the last game. -ALL- of this is how it worked in the last game, which came out 12 years ago. None of this is surprising to fans of the previous game.

There are also the infinite use Ox Carts that you use, that also act as quick travel between set locations. These are new, cheap, and yes, you can get ambushed and have to fight a battle, but then you can just get back on and finish the trip. I am -very- happy about this new inclusion.

My point here isn't to defend Capcom's business decisions (because fuck me, this is a 70 dollar game and fuck that noise) but to make a point that people are looking at this very specific feature in a way that doesn't reflect the reality of the situation. You don't NEED to spend money on this or feel penalized for not doing so. You get plenty for free, can hit the max for free in your second run, and it's not even the limiting factor of the feature.
Very fair points. Does this mean I have to put away my pitchfork?

figmentPez

Staff member
people are looking at this very specific feature in a way that doesn't reflect the reality of the situation.
Is there similar explanations about character customization and other paid DLC? Because what I've read is that the game is blocking save game editing and mods that would allow character customization.

Is there similar explanations about character customization and other paid DLC? Because what I've read is that the game is blocking save game editing and mods that would allow character customization.
Art of Metamorphosis is sold at Pawn Guild Vendors. Limited stock that refills with time. Same idea with Ambivalent Rift Incense. Both aren't exactly expensive.
Wakestones are rarer and found by finding shards to put them together, but they were pretty rare outside of Bitterblack Isle in the previous game too. You can find another items to point you towards the closest shard.
Rift Crystals are a common enough currency you get from doing various things and it's mostly used for things with Pawns.
Makeshift Gaols keys can be bought for gold and you can usually find a free one in each town's prison, so you get one free way to just escape per a town.
You can usually find a free Harpy Snare Beacon around the places you need one. They can also be rarely found on vendors.

Starring Rick Astley...for some reason.

What are we thinking people, could it be good, or is it a VERY desparate reboot cash grab? Because from what I remember only the first 2 Simon games were actually good.

Starring Rick Astley...for some reason.

What are we thinking people, could it be good, or is it a VERY desparate reboot cash grab? Because from what I remember only the first 2 Simon games were actually good.
Looks cute, but looks like this is the studio's first game, so they don't really have any track record to judge on how this might go.

I know it's pre-alpha mockup footage but I'm so happy it's announced.

I see a lot of Earthling Cruisers in the video, I hope they got an upgrade since the first two games. They are no match for basically anything shown.

Last edited:
I've never played Starflight, but from what I understand, SC2 owes a lot to it.

This is a renamed direct sequel to Star Control 2 (currently known as The Ur-Quan Masters due to Stardock attempting to steal the entire thing from the original creators).

I loves you SC2.

Last edited:

Slay the Spire 2 is officially announced.

Also Inkbound is officially released with a major content update, including a genre-standard "if you make the run harder on yourself you can fight an extra, harder boss at the end" boss fight and a bunch of new quests and cosmetics.

Reactions: Far

figmentPez

Staff member
So, Netflix has games on PC now. I think they're cloud based streaming. Not sure on the details. I tried playing Oxenfree, and it seemed to work okay. An adventure game is gonna work a lot better via streaming than the racing, shooting, and other action games that Luna seems to be focusing on.

Anyone know when they started doing this? I haven't found any news articles yet.

EDIT: Apparently it's been rolling out to a "small number" of "select" members since October of last year in the US, and added in France, Germany, Italy, Mexico and Spain in January, though I assume it's still not everyone in any of those countries.

I only see a small selection of games. Oxenfree, Reigns, Reigns: Three Kingdoms, The Almost Gone, Infernax, Rocket, Link Twin, Mole Gem Mayhem, and Story Warriors: Fairy Tales.

I'm interested to see where they go with this.

Last edited: