[Webcomic] Webcomic Appreciation Jamboree

Today's oglaf made me laugh. So. Much. It's very nsfw, of course, but this humor is exactly my jam. Absurdism that takes the wind out of pretentious dipshittery.
I'm actually working at work today for the first day in months, and the fact that I can't check it here has been bugging me at least once every half an hour.
EDIT: Finally home. Strangest St. Sebastian fic ever.

--Patrick

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
I was today years old when I learned that that japanese bamboo donky-donk water thingy is called a deerscare.

Thanks, Awkward Zombie.

1592799064302.png

So Buzzfeed has this series called Draw Off, where pairs of artists try and draw a subject from memory. A recent one featured Brad Guigar and Dave Kellett.

Dangit. I don't really follow oglaf, but I like it. It just tends to slip my mind. And every time i go there, I just go back through the archive. And every time, after half an hour or so, i realize that going forward through their archive is fine, but going backwards, you only get the first page of every multi page comic without any indication you have to go forward a bit to read on. Grrr.

You have to remember to peek at the nav section every time to see if “Next Page” is lit.

Also: We need some closure for the Sorceress’ apprentice already...

—Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
You have to remember to peek at the nav section every time to see if “Next Page” is lit.

Also: We need some closure for the Sorceress’ apprentice already...

—Patrick
The "corner" of the page is also different depending on whether it's the last page of a comic or not.

And the author has said the Apprentice is gone and that arc is over.

I don't see any difference with the next button.
Huh. The interface is different now. It's just "Next" and "Previous" with the funny corner. It used to have "Next Page/Previous Page" which would only activate for the multi-page comics, and "Next Story/Previous Story" which would let you navigate between weeks.
the author has said the Apprentice is gone and that arc is over.
Aww. Last we knew, he was being put in stasis, and now I guess he'll never wake.

--Patrick

Last edited:

figmentPez

Staff member
Real Life Comics is updating again, and:

I hope this leads to a new level of productivity for Maelyn. Real Life Comics has always been one of my favorites.

Real Life Comics is updating again, and:

I hope this leads to a new level of productivity for Maelyn. Real Life Comics has always been one of my favorites.
Ah. Well, that explains a lot of the lack of updates. That's a big change. But good for her. I started reading Real Life Comics not long after PVP, and I was really disappointed when it stopped updating. But I didn't go searching for any reasons or behinds the scenes drama, so this is all new to me.

Wow. I started to read Reallife comics around the same time I started PVP. I even bought the first book with the commentary. Haven't read it for years. I will check it out again.

Today's GrrlPower is okay.
...but the commentary contains a line I bet @Dave can really appreciate:
People in cubicles don’t generally get sprayed with water 4 stories off the ground. But they sometimes have to use Excel, so it’s a wash. Excel, BTW, isn’t so bad by itself. The problem with Excel, is that you eventually have to use Excel files made by other people. Other people and their VLOOKUPs that used to work three versions ago, but something broke and now they do all that stuff by hand and I just killed myself thinking about it.
--Patrick

I'm starting to think about maybe not reading Questionable Content every day.

Jeph keeps bringing brand new characters into the comic and cycles them out when he gets board.

I've been reading RealLife comics daily again now, as I used to do all those eons ago. Now, I understand this is a story she needs to tell, and that she doesn't want to sprinkle through with gags....But I do hope we'll get back to funny after this whole reveal :-P
Again, I understand why this storyline needs to be done and why it can't be filled with jokes. It's just not an especially great story to read stretched out over a week. Talking as a white cis het guy, of course. More power to making strong stories to help other people come to terms with their own inner self and all that, really. I just don't find the "gosh, I wanted to be a girl all along!" story to be relatable, other than for the "able to look at boobies all day" and "have mutliple orgasms" style juvenile fantasies.

I'm starting to think about maybe not reading Questionable Content every day.

Jeph keeps bringing brand new characters into the comic and cycles them out when he gets board.
It's pretty much the only webcomic I still actively follow at this point but I have read a week at a time at minimum, sometimes I go longer like a month, for years for this reason.

Freaking LOVE Erma, been on top of it for years.

I am a little mixed on the current story line, ONLY because I miss the old cast, still great though.