[Webcomic] Webcomic Appreciation Jamboree

Loving Reaper

Fair warning - this comic might break you. It's all about Death as he collects the souls of animals who have died - usually because of the stupid or cruel shit humans do every day. But he is a Loving Reaper with a care for his charges that the Death of the Discworld would admire. So good comic, just...have some tissues ready before you read it.

Loving Reaper

Fair warning - this comic might break you. It's all about Death as he collects the souls of animals who have died - usually because of the stupid or cruel shit humans do every day. But he is a Loving Reaper with a care for his charges that the Death of the Discworld would admire. So good comic, just...have some tissues ready before you read it.
Ohhhh that one. Seen lots of screen caps from it, half stories, sometimes whole... Glad to have found the origin. But yeah, happy it will not make you, usually.

Yeah, that was a great comic. Really, i think we're kind of out of the "golden age" of webcomics at this point. We've still got a few long runners (Girl Genius will probably keep going until the Foglios DIE) but gone are the days of people starting up webcomics on a whim.
Pretty much yeah, people still make stuff for webtoons and tapas, but even the good stuff just gets drowned out by the slew of Reverse-Isekais polluting the internet. "OH-what if the fantasy world came to the REAL world?!" Yeah how about you come up with an original god damn idea?!

figmentPez

Staff member
Speaking of new webcomics, currently I'm trying to figure out what I think of Gwendy and Ghost. This comic has weird tonal shifts. At first it seems like a children's comic, about a grade school girl and her ghost friend, but then it seems more of a coming-of-age story about a traumatic childhood and teenage emotions, but now there's hints of darker stuff. I don't know where it's going, but I zipped through the archives, despite getting weird vibes from it. I'm still not sure if I like it, or just find the weirdness fascinating.

Over 400 pages across Multiplex, and I'm reminded of one of the weirdest things about re-reading webcomics, being when they tie to real world dates, because when a character says they dated another character for 3 years, it feels like its barely been ONE.

figmentPez

Staff member
Webcomics I follow that still update, and I'd recommend: Adventures with Eggie, Batman: Wayne Family Adventures, Drive, Cassandra Comics, Erma and Tales of Outcast, Goblins, Order of the Stick, Kill Six Billion Demons, Sheldon, Stupid Fox, Swords, Strange Planet, JL8, Exocomics, Crow Time, Foxes in Love, and A Tale of Two Rulers (a Legend of Zelda fan comic where Zelda and Gannon have married in an attempt at peace between their kingdoms).

Ones I'm still following, but are kinda dragging on story-wise, despite updating, or have hit-and-miss humor: Empowered, Flipside, Grrl Power, Nerf Now, Misfile, and Spinnerette.

But, seriously, read Wayne Family Adventures, it's amazing.

Yeah I caught up with Empowered a while ago, kind of amazed it was originally an OEL graphic novel when it's written like a comic strip, and a VERY stretched out comic strip at that, a SLOG to get through at times.

And any time that stupid belt appears I go into skim mode.

Webcomics I follow that still update, and I'd recommend: Adventures with Eggie, Batman: Wayne Family Adventures, Drive, Cassandra Comics, Erma and Tales of Outcast, Goblins, Order of the Stick, Kill Six Billion Demons, Sheldon, Stupid Fox, Swords, Strange Planet, JL8, Exocomics, Crow Time, Foxes in Love, and A Tale of Two Rulers (a Legend of Zelda fan comic where Zelda and Gannon have married in an attempt at peace between their kingdoms).

Ones I'm still following, but are kinda dragging on story-wise, despite updating, or have hit-and-miss humor: Empowered, Flipside, Grrl Power, Nerf Now, Misfile, and Spinnerette.

I really like Spinnerette, but it does definitely feel like the people involved would rather be working on ether their h-content (which is what pays the bills apparently) or White Heron stuff, as opposed to the actual main content... and that's what I'm there for? As a Columbus, OH native, it's rare to see media that actually talks about or depicts the city and one of my favorite things about the comic is how I can often literally pick the exact spot that something's happening at. The arc that takes place at the Circleville Pumpkin Show is such a deep cut... it's a joke you can only get if you live here, as are all the references to OSU and other Columbus landmarks like the Arnold Schwarzenegger statue outside the Great Columbus Convention Center and The Laughing Ogre comic shop. That's a lot of the fun for me.

Don't get me wrong, I like the White Heron stuff too but it often feels like it's be presented instead of Spinnerette content.

Look, I like Erma too but there's no way it doesn't belong in the "kinda dragging on story-wise" category. Here's Yoshi from 3 years ago:
Freaking LOVE Erma, been on top of it for years.

I am a little mixed on the current story line, ONLY because I miss the old cast, still great though.
That storyline is only now ending with Erma about to be reunited with what had been her supporting cast before it began!

figmentPez

Staff member
Look, I like Erma too but there's no way it doesn't belong in the "kinda dragging on story-wise" category. Here's Yoshi from 3 years ago:

That storyline is only now ending with Erma about to be reunited with what had been her supporting cast before it began!
My criteria for "dragging on" is not the pace at which the story is released, it's how engaged I am with the story. I still want to know what's going on with Erma and the plot. If it were all released right now I would binge it as fast as I could. I have thoroughly enjoyed the latest plot arch.

The same is not true for the comics I'm iffy about. If I had the next few years of Grrl Power to read, I wouldn't rush to read it. I'm enjoying it enough to keep in on my list, but it spends way too much time info-dumping and trying to appease nit-picking fans.

My god, it has been 3 years hasn't it? Like, it was an awesome story, but yeah I'm really glad she's going home after...three years. Still better pacing than some web comics, but still.