Weird weather

Had 3 major rain events cover the county that I live in over the last two days. They all missed. Yesterday two thunderstorms passed within a half mile of me to the north and south. At least it was cooler than room temperature this morning. For the first time since May.

Heat wave is upon us. It's almost as warm here as it is somewhere in the middle of a winter night around jwhouk :p

It's now about 32° (90°F) at 11 AM, highs expected around 36° (~97-98°F). Tomorrow we're going for 40°C (104°F). "Wind chill" or however the opposite is called in English adds about 2-3°C right now around here.
Lovely time to spend 8 hours on end directly under the roof.

I only heard about blue green algae blooms a few years ago, when it hit I think Fredericton. But I swear I hear about it more and more as each year passes. And it's scary to me. But also because I wish there was some kind of solution to prevent it, but I guess none exist.

Heat wave is upon us. It's almost as warm here as it is somewhere in the middle of a winter night around jwhouk :p

It's now about 32° (90°F) at 11 AM, highs expected around 36° (~97-98°F). Tomorrow we're going for 40°C (104°F). "Wind chill" or however the opposite is called in English adds about 2-3°C right now around here.
Lovely time to spend 8 hours on end directly under the roof.
Thermometer on the terrace, in the *shade* is now up to 112°F (44.5°C). Spontaneous combustion of your favorite Belgian owl is imminent.

I know that we have places in the US that see these same temperatures during the summer, but most of the people living there are properly prepared for it. Almost all homes in Nevada and Arizona have AC, for example. I don’t know how these parts of Europe are going to handle getting roasted like this, especially if it becomes the norm.

I know that we have places in the US that see these same temperatures during the summer, but most of the people living there are properly prepared for it. Almost all homes in Nevada and Arizona have AC, for example. I don’t know how these parts of Europe are going to handle getting roasted like this, especially if it becomes the norm.
This time it's just one day - tomorrow it's 10°C less, days after that some thunderstorms. But yeah, our houses are built to keep heat IN, not OUT, generally speaking, and airco is around but definitely not everywhere. Some of our roads are melting - the asphalt is mixed to withstand frost and cold stresses, not high temperatures.

But hey, climate change is just alarmism. Nothing to worry about.

GasBandit

Staff member
After months with no rain, it finally rained yesterday. That's good.

Except all the dead plant matter that had been quietly and peacefully dessicating in the dry heat can now properly rot >_< it smells baaaaad outside.

figmentPez

Staff member
This is the first time since 1941 that the Atlantic has gone from July 3 to the end of August with no named hurricane. - source

Tropical Storm Danielle may become the first hurricane of the season, but is not expected to make landfall.

I am less concerned about the Gulf of Mexico blowing up. We had regular rain over the last two weeks coming off the Gulf. There is even flooding in Dallas and Mississippi over that time. Hopefully that cools it down a bit.

Am I the only deeply concerned about this? Like, that there will be massive hurricanes in the future make up for it?
At this point I'm kinda expecting Poseidon to pull up to the Mississippi Delta in a chariot and let loose a huge tirade before reclaiming Louisiana as part of the Gulf.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Boy, I tell ya, the later sunrise has hit here like a ton of bricks. Seems like in a matter of less than a week, I've gone from waking up in full brightness to waking up in pitch blackness.

We've gone from "so hot I work (from home) naked and have to turn on the airco" to "I have to wear socks and long sleeves and the heater turns on automatically" in a week, and it's giving my body jetlag. Ugh.