What are you playing?

Doing as much of a run as I can at "Going Under", god DAMN is getting a full mentorship ranked up hard as balls!

So everyone knows, when Swomp asks you to "Drive a car over with your car" the car needs to be faced DIRECTLY infront of the other car, and there needs to be Joblin in it. I tell this to the people, because it was the most frustrating thing in my life.

Dave

Staff member
Started playing a ftp mmo called Once Human. You know the one - the internet was on fire about its TOS. But you know what? It’s a fun game.

Oh, it’s got problems, but it has a lot going for it, too. It’s the only thing that has clawed me away from SoulMask. Let’s see if it lasts after 7DtD 1.0 releases.

figmentPez

Staff member
Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered

Every moment I'm away from my computer is now a triumph. I just want to web-swing around the city collecting things forever. Give me all the backpacks, and sciencey missions, and flips and thwips and variant costumes.

Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered

Every moment I'm away from my computer is now a triumph. I just want to web-swing around the city collecting things forever. Give me all the backpacks, and sciencey missions, and flips and thwips and variant costumes.
I fully rebought it on PC release, after having finished it on PS4, just to swing around and collect things again. My only gripe is even when fully upgraded I wish swinging was just a tiny bit faster.

Started playing a ftp mmo called Once Human. You know the one - the internet was on fire about its TOS. But you know what? It’s a fun game.

Oh, it’s got problems, but it has a lot going for it, too. It’s the only thing that has clawed me away from SoulMask. Let’s see if it lasts after 7DtD 1.0 releases.
Thanks, was going to ask you how it was going once I saw you weren't playing Soulmask.

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
Soulmask was great but man did it fall off quickly. Once you hit a certain point it’s just a grind-fest. But I have like 250 hours in it so I got my money’s worth.

Once Human as an MMO survival game (ftp, by the way, if anyone is interested) has a few quirks but it’s got some QOL stuff that make it worthwhile as well as very interesting monster design and eerie feel.

I got attacked Sunday by a boss monster that was in the shape of a giant traffic light. A friend had to fight a giant monster house - from the inside. Unique things like that.

So I'm still wailing away at Elden Ring and I think From was trying to say something with how all the sheep always roll away in a futile attempt to not get chopped up for their sweet thin animal bones.

Once I stopped rolling and started jumping instead 90% of attacks started whiffing hard. Rolling is a trap! It's extremely hard to get over not jumping in Soulsesque game. Waist high barriers used to impassable terrain.

It's TOO satsifactory. Hours go by, I have no idea what happened to them! I only know that I need to go get more iron... or make more screws... or just hit the next milestone. It's awful!
Your review has inspired me to download it on my deck again. At this rate, I can try it tomorrow evening. Yay for rural wifi.

In the meantime, I’m playing Times and Galaxy where you write news stories and balance writing factual articles with selling papers. You play as the first ever robo reporter. It’s pretty cute. It reminds me of the Monster Prom games.

The Excavation of Hob's Barrow

I've had this on my wishlist for ages, but recently traded keys with someone to get a copy.

There are a lot of good puzzles throughout the game. Great voice acting, as I can expect from the publisher Wadjet Eye Games. And I loved the build up and mystery, as the game builds up to the titular excavation, which doesn't happen until the last portion of the game. A sizeable portion, mind you. Although, I have to admit, I needed a guide to complete that last section.

But I'll be honest, I was largely disappointed by the ending. I'll put some thoughts behind spoilers.

It's disappointing because the woman is basically railroaded towards inevitably releasing this Lovecraftian god, and given absolutely no agency. She's tricked by several people, and goes along with everything, despite giant clues that "No, you really shouldn't do this thing." Since the game is linear, you're given no chance to take a different path. I guess the ending is meant to be a downer, horror, Lovecraftian doomed ending, but it honestly just feels like it's shitting on the main character and your progress through the game.

Still, I had a difficult time putting this down and finished it in a a few hours. It's incredibly unnerving at times with some fantastic animated cutscenes. But yeah, that ending just didn't do it for me.

Last edited: