What are you playing?

Disco Elysium continues to be the best RPG I've played. It feels more like a spiritual successor to Planescape Torment than the actual successor to Planescape Torment.

I think I've recapped the game before, but I'm too lazy to scroll up so Imma recap it again.

You play as a detective in a once glorious now run down city, sent to help solve a situation with a hanged body in a tree. Some time before the start of the game, you showed up in town, kicked around for awhile, went on an apocalyptic drinking binge and spent three days drinking so much that you nearly died and gave yourself permanent brain damage. You awaken in your hostel room with the hangover to end all hangovers and absolutely no recollection of who you are, why you're there, or anything else at all. You don't even know your name.

The game is set in a slightly steampunk setting with technology roughly equivalent to the early 90's. The city you're in was, in a previous life, the capital of the world during a fascist monarchy. A failed communist uprising momentarily freed the city only to collapse and be destroyed in another violent rise of yet another regime. The city of Revachol is just as important a character as you are, and it's riddled with just as many scars.

The game is about trying to solve a murder. But it's also about trying to discover who you are and what lead you to what you are now. It's about trying to move on after hitting rock bottom, trying to put the pieces back together, and maybe even accepting that maybe they'll be forever broken.

The most unique aspect of this rpg is the skill system, here's the skill tree:
1618974904652.png

There's no combat in this game, rather dialogue with various skill checks. Some dialogue options will passively open up if you have a high enough skill (the game rolls a secret check in the background) while others are active checks that are either white checks, meaning you can retry them later after you've put more points into that skill, or red checks, which can only ever be tried once. Role playing really is the name of the game here, however, as rarely will a failed check lead to a gameover (except, well, sometimes they will) but instead will simply lead to a different outcome. What your character is good at is important, but equally important is what your character is bad at, and sometimes a failed check can open up options that weren't available to you before.

Each of these skills also act as a voice inside your fractured mind. They act as your inner thoughts, with voices like Encyclopedia piping up to tell you trivia about the world, authority trying to convince you to assert your dominance, or electro-chemistry reminding you of how awesome drugs are and how you should probably get some. The higher your skill, the more often these voices come into play, but also if you put too many points into a skill, that voice may begin to dominate. Electro-Chemistry as mentioned before is your knowledge of, and ability to use, drugs. And putting points into that allows you to use illegal substances for some pretty wild stat boosts for hard to pass checks. In my game it's also turned my detective into an absolute addict, who is sniffing speed on the side to help solve every mystery.

If you like deep, story driven rpgs, you owe it to yourself to give this game a try.

I love both Pokemon and photography so I was all over this lol.

I’m happy to update on how much there is in the game.

MH Rise could have used more content, but they always add tons for free so I’m not worried there.

Disco Elysium continues to be the best RPG I've played. It feels more like a spiritual successor to Planescape Torment than the actual successor to Planescape Torment.

I think I've recapped the game before, but I'm too lazy to scroll up so Imma recap it again.

You play as a detective in a once glorious now run down city, sent to help solve a situation with a hanged body in a tree. Some time before the start of the game, you showed up in town, kicked around for awhile, went on an apocalyptic drinking binge and spent three days drinking so much that you nearly died and gave yourself permanent brain damage. You awaken in your hostel room with the hangover to end all hangovers and absolutely no recollection of who you are, why you're there, or anything else at all. You don't even know your name.

The game is set in a slightly steampunk setting with technology roughly equivalent to the early 90's. The city you're in was, in a previous life, the capital of the world during a fascist monarchy. A failed communist uprising momentarily freed the city only to collapse and be destroyed in another violent rise of yet another regime. The city of Revachol is just as important a character as you are, and it's riddled with just as many scars.

The game is about trying to solve a murder. But it's also about trying to discover who you are and what lead you to what you are now. It's about trying to move on after hitting rock bottom, trying to put the pieces back together, and maybe even accepting that maybe they'll be forever broken.

The most unique aspect of this rpg is the skill system, here's the skill tree:
View attachment 37636

There's no combat in this game, rather dialogue with various skill checks. Some dialogue options will passively open up if you have a high enough skill (the game rolls a secret check in the background) while others are active checks that are either white checks, meaning you can retry them later after you've put more points into that skill, or red checks, which can only ever be tried once. Role playing really is the name of the game here, however, as rarely will a failed check lead to a gameover (except, well, sometimes they will) but instead will simply lead to a different outcome. What your character is good at is important, but equally important is what your character is bad at, and sometimes a failed check can open up options that weren't available to you before.

Each of these skills also act as a voice inside your fractured mind. They act as your inner thoughts, with voices like Encyclopedia piping up to tell you trivia about the world, authority trying to convince you to assert your dominance, or electro-chemistry reminding you of how awesome drugs are and how you should probably get some. The higher your skill, the more often these voices come into play, but also if you put too many points into a skill, that voice may begin to dominate. Electro-Chemistry as mentioned before is your knowledge of, and ability to use, drugs. And putting points into that allows you to use illegal substances for some pretty wild stat boosts for hard to pass checks. In my game it's also turned my detective into an absolute addict, who is sniffing speed on the side to help solve every mystery.

If you like deep, story driven rpgs, you owe it to yourself to give this game a try.
Please tell me it's on the Switch.... fuck, coming this year.

I've reached a certain level of proficiency in Super Smash Bros Ultimate. I'm now working on my spikes. Spikes are awesome. There's no better feeling in this game than smashing opponents straight down to their death.

I wonder if I should challenge my hot female subordinate to a rematch. And if so, whether I should avoid using the line "Wanna see my spike? I've been working on it pretty hard."

Squidley, you logged into the wrong account again.
How is it? It didn’t start for us until 1:00 am and I have to write something formal in French this morning. I needed sleep.

My son and I both have the game and plan to start as soon as I’m done work!

In other news, I have apparently been offline on my Switch for weeks. Technology genius!!

Resident Evil Village (demo)

Or ten minutes of it because as soon as I got into combat with three zombies swarming me, I couldn't accomplish shit. Either I couldn't get a clear shot or I couldn't run past them without one of them grabbing me. Plus, I had no clue where to go or what to do. So I gave up.

GasBandit

Staff member
Legend of Keepers (Prologue Demo)

I appreciate games that put out Demo versions. It let me find out this game is basically a mobile-quality timewaster with aspirations to being something like dungeon keeper, but I just couldn't get into it. Not saying it's bad, per se, just not really for me.

I always play a custom race that uses the Silicoid portrait in MoO2, because otherwise I have to face the Silicoids, and they're assholes.

I just finished Baldur's Gate Siege of Dragonspear and the final chapters are so fucking infuriating in how little they make sense* and let me tell you, Baldur's Gate 2 is fucked now. I am the son of Bhaal after this bullshit and everything else can go fuck itself.

*I figure out a main villain's motivations as part of the story and the next part of the story my character and everyone with me plays dumb like we didn't just have the whole plot laid out before us. These segments weren't played out of order, you must do the first before the second will happen.

Finished Resident Evil Revelations 2. With this I've finished at least one version of every third person Resident Evil game. Still can't play vii. First person horror games are too much for me.

I've been dedicating my life to trying to get through the huge queue to play on NoPixel GTA RP. I've had so much fun with it the last few days. I didn't realize how much I missed RPing.

ME1 is still pain. It was pain when it was new, and it's worse 14 years later. I really wish they had added the QOL changes they had in 2 to 1 for this remaster.

They had their priorities, like making sure Tali's picture was replaced in ME3. Something that I'm sure took tens of thousands of man hours and millions of dollars to accomplish.