What are you playing?

Just finished Borderlands with the Soldier. Lame-ass final boss and pretty much no ending to speak of. :( Getting to the last area was harder than the boss itself.

However, now I have Arkham Asylum to finish (though this one's another lame last boss with a lame ending, sadly).

S

Soliloquy

I'm playing through Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition.

Hilarious game, but the "updated" graphics are atrocious. Some of the scenery looks like they cobbled it together in Flash in 30 minutes, and I'm not kidding.

I'd run it in the original graphics mode if there were a way to get the voice acting along with it.

Persona 4. I've barely done anything and it doesn't feel as smooth as Persona 3 did, but at the same time it feels a bit more immersive. I'm liking it so far.
Persona 4 is pretty much improved in every way when compared to Persona 3: FES.[/QUOTE]

The camera isn't, and some of the dialogue comes off a bit more Engrishy. It isn't grabbing me as well as P3:FES but I'm going to give it more time.

Persona 4. I've barely done anything and it doesn't feel as smooth as Persona 3 did, but at the same time it feels a bit more immersive. I'm liking it so far.
Persona 4 is pretty much improved in every way when compared to Persona 3: FES.[/QUOTE]

The camera isn't, and some of the dialogue comes off a bit more Engrishy. It isn't grabbing me as well as P3:FES but I'm going to give it more time.[/QUOTE]

I found the story of Persona 4 to be much more compelling... especially how it actually seems like your making a difference in the world with your actions. In Persona 3, you MIGHT have saved some people by your actions on the Full Moons. In Persona 4, you KNOW you've saved lives each and every time you save someone from the Midnight Channel. It's more tangible.

You also seem less manipulative in the Social Links... it doesn't seem like your some guy feeding people lines to get them to like you. It seems more like these are legitimate parts of your personality and that you have a legitimate connection with everyone you meet.

As far as PES 3 vs 4: 3 had the better combat, while 4 had the better social structure, imo. So I hope 5 will be a good mixture of both. They're both excellent games though.

And I'm currently playing Dragon Age, tried getting back into Aion, but after playing Dragon Age I realised again why I stopped with WoW. No story, no epic feel, no real pull to keep me going. So my Aion character will be collecting dust for a while I think.

How could 3 have the better combat? The two games have the same battle system, only 4 had a few handy additions and the ability to control your team.

I've been playing L4D2 whenever there are people online that I like to play with (ie. you guys) or just whenever I feel like popping into a random Versus game and tearing the SHIT outta someone with my hunter. :)

I've also put about 20-25 hours into Sims 3: World Adventures and I still feel like I've barely scratched the surface. And yet I can't wait for another expansion.

How could 3 have the better combat? The two games have the same battle system, only 4 had a few handy additions and the ability to control your team.
More weaknesses and thus harder to create an unbeatable persona mostly. I dunno, it just felt more woked out, I'll give you the party control though, that was indeed a much needed step.

Half-life 2.

Yeah, I'm behind the times. Just got the orange box, beat portal in one sitting, and now going through half-life 2 and its following episodes.

O

Oddbot

The girlfriend and I are working our way through Mario Bros Wii. We only play it with the two of us. Awesome game. Nintebdo should have made a co-op mario sidescroller 10 years ago.

The wife and I are playing Rockband. yeah, the first one. Yeah, we know there are others out now. It's still a good time, though my wrist is starting to kill me.

The wife and I are playing Rockband. yeah, the first one. Yeah, we know there are others out now. It's still a good time, though my wrist is starting to kill me.
Heck, I've never played any Guitar Hero or Rock Band game.

I'm still playing Half-Life 2, having now finally gotten time to do so.

HOLY FUCK.

This game is good! Like, really good! I should have played this five goddamn years ago.

figmentPez

Staff member
*UGH* I tried playing Dreamkiller since it's free on Steam this weekend. Blech! Either I was playing it wrong, or this game has the most unfun first level I've ever played. The enemies are repetative, even for a level themed around arachnophobia. Most of the spiders are big rounded tarantula like shapes. No orb spiders, no spindly legs, no angular jumping spiders (not even the ones that jump). None of them crawl on walls. None dangle from webs. The only variation is demonic spiders with humanoid torsos.

You only get one weapon, and it sucks. You start out hand to hand and then get a mini-gun. I was thinking "awesome, I'll be able to rip these spiders to shreds now!" Nah. The gun overheats easily, and it doesn't do a lot of damage. I spent most of the level using the alt-fire which is a rocket launcher. This game made a mini-gun / rocket launcher that was a chore to use. You get unlimited ammo, at least I think it was unlimited. The game doesn't tell you, the HUD is horrible, and the manual is pathetic. Anyway, the rockets do a lot damage to your character if you get hit by the splash, but the bigger spiders take at least two rockets to kill. It's also got a slow reload time. Combat just felt tiresome because I didn't enjoy shooting the gun.

I finished the first level and gave up.

HOLY FUCK.

This game is good! Like, really good! I should have played this five goddamn years ago.
After you're done with HL2 and its Episodes, might I suggest you download SMOD (short for Super Mod) for HL2. New weapons, new enemies, new gameplay features, new in-game events... I now consider SMOD to be the definitive HL2 experience. I'm going to be mighty disappointed when Episode 3 comes out and I can't kick people.

figmentPez

Staff member

HOLY FUCK.

Yes, you should have. Is there anyone else out there that hasn't played HL2 yet? I've still got a copy of the game sitting in my Steam account since I bought the Orange Box. I managed to give away HL2:ep1 a while back, but I thought for sure everyone even marginally interested in HL2 had already played it.

Never played any of the Orange Box games. Or pretty much any FPS. Except "Black" for the PS2, which I really suck at and so haven't played in years.

Im playing Monopoly Tycoon and Hero's of Might and Magic V.
Also Sims 3 World Adventure.Made myself a Adventuring Family. Exploring Tombs and making wine.

Inspired by Ravenpoe as someone who has owned the Orange Box since its release and only really played Portal and Team Fortress 2, I'm now giving Half-Life 2 an honest shot.

O

Olorin

I played some Pokemon Rumble with my girlfriend last weekend, and it's a lot more awesome than I thought. Sure, the gameplay is fairly basic: you walk around simple dungeons beating up hordes of Pokemon in real-time combat. But you use different Pokemon all the time, and there's a huge variety in attacks and special skills which makes it a lot of fun.

S

Soliloquy

I recently bought myself borderlands, but haven't had the time to even start it up yet.

On the last parts of Jeanne D'Arc (I really loved this game and can see myself really finishing it off in the post-game levels).

My online time is still pretty split between L4D2 and TF2 though I've started playing Aion very VERY casually (one hour or less a day).

After Jeanne D'Arc it's a toss up to pick up Dragon Age CE or Metroid Prime Trilogy CE.

Persona 4 is now over (got the true ending and everything).

I am now diving into the first Digital Devil Saga. Wish me luck.

I need to finish up my true ending playthrough of Persona 4. Finally got a new PS2 controller... no excuse not to now.

I'm playing Xenosaga Episode I. I hate the gameplay but I want to know what happens next...
Piece of Advice: Once you have X-Buster quicken on KOS-MOS, use those points to bump up her stats. She'll turn into a one woman army. It works well on Shion too, once you have Spell Ray and Moonlight Blade quickened.

On the last parts of Jeanne D'Arc (I really loved this game and can see myself really finishing it off in the post-game levels).

After Jeanne D'Arc it's a toss up to pick up Dragon Age CE or Metroid Prime Trilogy CE.
I'm on the Paris castle stage. I can't bring myself to finish it though, I want to get as many ultimate items as I can.