What are you playing?

Honestly? They took the original story, kept it fully intact and yet, changed enough to make it a fantastic game that goes well beyond the "stake" scene, but yes, it's in there.

Spoiler = Said scene.

K

Kitty Sinatra

I picked up a copy of Splinter Cell: Double Agent last week for 5 bucks. I'm having a heck of a time sneaking past anyone . . . on the first level.

Not that I'm playing it again at the moment, but I decided at random to check Warhammer Online's servers... down to seven in North America. I wonder how populated they are. I'd think the game would be much better now with less servers and more people to make the PVP worthwhile.

I'm playing Xenosaga Episode I. I hate the gameplay but I want to know what happens next...
Yeah, that game does that. How far along have you made it?[/QUOTE]

Just finished the Catedral Ship. Any advise on equipment for the A.G.W.S.?[/QUOTE]

You generally want to use stuff that lets you use W-Weapon (or whatever the dual attack is) and/or has Beam element. But really... if you start pumping your stats with Tech points, you'll quickly reach a point where AGWS become weaker than just doing it on foot.

Just finished playing Assassins Creed II. I completed it. Got every frikkin feather and the 1000 GS... My first game ever on the box that I finished completely.

Now, I'm at Mass Effect part I. Oh my god, this game is just incredible! The Story and the Atmosphere are otherworldish!

Besides ME, I also play a little bit "The Saboteur" and "Prince of Persia" on the Box.

And "Beneath a steel sky" on the iPhone.

Jup, that's right. I'm playing waaaaaaaaay too much atm, as you can see by my abstinence in the forums the last weeks/months... ^^

Edit: I forgot to mention Forza 3 on the box...

Maybe my new 47" Philips TV with ambilight has something to do with my newly awakend urge to play as much as possible... ^^

figmentPez

Staff member
Just started playing Batman: Arkham Asylum. Beautiful game, but it's also the first game in a while I haven't been able to run smoothly at 1920x1080. I've had to drop back to 1280x720 to get smooth frame-rates, but that's okay, it still looks great.

It always takes me a while to get used to a new control scheme, so I'm not feeling very much like Batman yet, but I'm getting there. Though it was kind of hilarious when I was first trying to figure out how to run. Batman kept dive rolling down the hallways until I realized it was my controller's fault. For some reason whenever my computer wakes up from sleep my controller buttons go wonky and won't send a steady signal. Holding one down is like it's on rapid fire.

Finished Jeanne D'Arc. Phenomenal game from beginning to end.

I actually ended up getting Star Ocean: First Departure as I loved "Second Story" back on my PSX. So far I'm AMAZED at the beauty and "old school" feeling this game has on the PSP, as well as the over 15mins of anime cutscenes I've seen (in the first hour of playing it).

T

TwoBit

Been playing House of the Dead: Overkill. While I'm not a big fan of rail shooters, it is a fun diversion. For a while. The dual wielding mode is kinda fun.

I actually ended up getting Star Ocean: First Departure as I loved "Second Story" back on my PSX. So far I'm AMAZED at the beauty and "old school" feeling this game has on the PSP, as well as the over 15mins of anime cutscenes I've seen (in the first hour of playing it).
Star Ocean: Second Story is one of my favorite games from the Playstation. The voice acting was a little wonky, but it was a solidly fun game and it looked great. I just accidentally activated the "bonus dungeon" before getting to the last boss, so he took like a huge jump in difficulty...

Star Ocean: Second Story is one of my favorite games from the Playstation. The voice acting was a little wonky, but it was a solidly fun game and it looked great. I just accidentally activated the "bonus dungeon" before getting to the last boss, so he took like a huge jump in difficulty...[/QUOTE]

You reminded me of one point of aggravation I had with that awesome game. I did the whole Cave of Trials, got the Silver Trumpet, and then couldn't summon the super-boss. I wanted to complete everything in that game, and then thought it was glitch. I've since sold the game and the memory card is gone...

You reminded me so I went searching... You had to have a character with Music talents up?!! Damnit, that's so simple and obvious, and yet I never got to fight her with my awesomed party just to see if I'd win, and now I never will.

figmentPez

Staff member
Ha! When Batman sprays the explosive gel on a surface he lays it out in a bat-symbol. That is awesome! The little touches in this game are cool.

I caved and bought Ocarina of Time on VC.

However! I am close to beating RE5 and Eternal Darkness, so I can justify it.

Speaking of Eternal Darkness, we picked this up after Spoony's glowing review on Halloween, and it's honestly lived up to everything he said about it and more. I can't believe I didn't get this back when it came out for Gamecube, but I'm dearly enjoying now in all its greatness.

I caved and bought Ocarina of Time on VC.

However! I am close to beating RE5 and Eternal Darkness, so I can justify it.

Speaking of Eternal Darkness, we picked this up after Spoony's glowing review on Halloween, and it's honestly lived up to everything he said about it and more. I can't believe I didn't get this back when it came out for Gamecube, but I'm dearly enjoying now in all its greatness.
Silicon Knights are supposed to be working on a sequel as their project after the one they are currently working on. Supposedly it's supposed to be done sometime in 2012 (or they'll be starting it then. Can't remember which.)

figmentPez

Staff member
I am really loving Batman: Arkham Asylum. It's not perfect, and as the game goes on I'm becoming slightly more annoyed with the color palettes used, but there are enough awesome points to make up for it. The Line Launcher tool is one of the latest bits of awesome I've come across, so much fun to zip around with that.

Another bit of awesome, with the Scarecrow bits:

I honestly thought my game had crashed at the start of the third Scarecrow sequence. I was sitting there annoyed that I'd have to restart the game, and beginning to wonder if something had overheated, when the game picked up again.

Those are some of the best sequences in the game, even though the actual gameplay isn't that amazing.

Currently playing Dragon Ball Z: Attack of the Saiyans on the DS. The game takes place between just before the start of the 24th Annual World Martial Arts Tournament (where Goku fought Piccolo Jr. the first time) and the defeat of Vegeta on Earth. It's a surprisingly fun little RPG, considering the source material, though they've added the equivalent of filler episodes to the game to pad it out a bit (though one of these deals with what happened to Launch, so it's not all bad.)

Sometimes, even good games can piss me off with stupid, inane shit.

I get stuck in Zelda games sometimes, and usually after an hour of fucking around, I look it up online and discover it was some easy, simple thing I didn't think of, or something I didn't know I could do.

This time, I was at the maze part before the temple on the Goron island, and I got stuck. Messed around awhile, noticed the Bombchu hole, couldn't get them without the bag, messed around some more, finally decided I'd look it up when I got home. How the HELL am I supposed to know I have to bomb the marks on the ground? Granted, I did notice them and had dug some holes, but there wasn't even a hint anywhere that they mattered for the maze.

It's worse when you're in places like the Ocean Palace and there's essentially a time limit on your messing around to figure out what to do.

Considering the STEAM sale, I'm going to be going nuts with new games.

However, I just finished Star Ocean and have moved on to my recently purchased Metroid Prime Trilogy and that's going to OWN me for a few weeks.

I've started replaying Half-Life 2, with the Cinematic Mod. It makes the game much prettier (and at a nearly 10 gig download, I would hope so!), with better textures and engine upgrades. Though I'm not a big fan of some of the new faces. Barney looks like a buck toothed hillbilly. Also, Alyx's boobs now bounce, which is both cool yet highly inappropriate. But still cool.

There are also some gameplay changes. Headshots are pretty much required to take down Combine soldiers, unless you want to spend a whole clip on every enemy. Also, explosions are now much more powerful. This means your grenades are now much more effective, but at the same time enemy explosions hurt a lot more. The difference is very apparent in levels like the airboat pursuit; in the vanilla game you could get hit by a bunch of missiles and mines, and just heal off the damage later. Now you get WTFPWNED by a handful of mines, so you have to dodge a lot better.

EDIT: Also, going back to HL2 after playing L4D2 presents an interesting challenge. I now reflexively right click whenever I'm surrounded by enemies. More than once I've been surrounded by antlions while wielding my submachinegun, and right clicked - which fires a grenade from the attached grenade launcher. Explosions, as I've mentioned, are very powerful now. Load last save.

J

JCM

PSP this year has made me forget the DS more than I ever thought I would, and although I dont buy many games for the PS3 as Im trying to build up a blu-ray movie library (and damn br here is expensive!)-

LittleBigPlanet is damn cute, and the PSP version great for trips, heck I got myself a 16gb card just to fill it with custom levels.

Tekken6 for both PS3 and PS3, grew up playing Tekken so its pretty much like visiting an old friend

Lego Indiana Jones 2 multiplayer on the DS with Luiza, she is crazy about Lego games (Star wars/Indy/Batman) and the DS version is superior to others as it allows each player to explore the levels in separate directions, which also lead to us both running crazily after lego studs and hoping that "this way" has more, just hope Leo Harry Potter comes out fast enough.

figmentPez

Staff member
Oh my, I think I've been playing a bit to much of Psychonauts. I saw figments floating around when I closed my eyes to go to sleep last night.

Also playing: Final Fantasy IV DS, and finishing up the challenges in Batman: Arkham Asylum.

I was playing Dragon Age but my 360 has to go in for repairs. But to hold me over I just bought Metal gear Solid 4 to play :)

I got Dead Space from the Steam sale, played sixteen minutes of it, and had to quit because I was too scared.

I'm such a pansy. :(

I was playing Dragon Age but my 360 has to go in for repairs. But to hold me over I just bought Metal gear Solid 4 to play :)
I'm sorry to hear that. Well, at least by the time the cutscenes for the first level are over, your 360 will be fixed.

Shannow

Staff member
WoW, Dragon Age, Madden 2010, Fight Night Round 4, CoD MW2, Borderlands. Though they are all just on and off at times.

Going to pick up a used psp in the next week or so and mod it, and start playing that on my weekend NYC bus trips.

I'm playing Assassin's Creed 2 right now. It provided me a great laugh as well. It was at the part I met my uncle, when asked who he was, he loudly proclaimed, "IT'S-A ME! MARIO!"

By far, my favorite part of the game is using the maul to counter attacks. Hearing that "crunch" as it crushes a guard's spine is always satisfying.

I just wish I could kill the damn bards. You can't push them out of the way, you can't walk around them very quickly, and they are incessant. [Insert Preferred Deity here] help you if there are multiple after you. First game it was beggars and now it's bards. Why do they have to have some random NPCs constantly jumping into your path? What point does that serve?

K

Kitty Sinatra

Started playing Force Unleashed today. Damn camera and targeting are annoying but it's been fun so far (aside from a frustrating part where I kept falling down a chasm)

Too many unfinished games... and then I wallow in multiplayer instead of finishing them. Julie and I have PSPs with Final Fantasy Tactics and Dissidia, which means for awesome combat!

Picked up Assassin's Creed for PS3 today and... good god, what is this whole sci-fi backstory crap? I was promised a Renaissance-era game and get told right off that the entire game is basically a dream-sequence of the past? Using magical memory-retrieving devices from the future? My suspension of disbelief is... unsuspended. :angry:

Seriously though, fun game so far... just off-putting at first that it doesn't seem to be what was advertised. I'm hoping it will make more sense as the story progresses.