Selected Storied of Fritz Leiber
Snuffed
The Boleyn Inheritance
The Other Boleyn Girl (finished)
Hogfather (rereading)

In the last two weeks I've read:
The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoevsky
Orthodoxy by GK Chesterton
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley, which I've read before but we're studying it this semester so I decided to get a little ahead.

And tomorrow I will finish American Lion by Jon Meacham, a biography of Andrew Jackson.

Not a bad two weeks. During the semester I probably won't be able to budget time for leisure reading, which makes me feel a little bit sad.

Frankenstein is one of my favourite books of all time. Think I'll try reading it again this year.

I just finished reading A Hard Day's Knight by Simon R. Green. He's definitely one of my favourite authors, especially for the Nightside series. And I think I broke my record for fastest novel read: less than 24 hours for this one. Started reading it early New Year's Eve. Finished reading it early last night.

Sabriel by Garth Nix.

I read this as a pre teen and remembered it being boring and hard to grasp. As an adult i find it to be thrilling, eerie and an interesting look at necromancy.

Would recommend!

Just started Wise Man's Fear, part two of the Kingkiller Chronicle. Too early to give a real impression of it yet, but part one was a good read, and this one picks up RIGHT where that one left off, so the start isn't as slow I'm used to.

A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore. I'm promising myself that I'll finish it this time, started it a year ago and got halfway through. I do adore his writing style though.

And Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter, second read through. I'm still amazed at how much this book grabs my attention. Granted, my attention span is pretty..sad. But still, throughly enjoying this!

I was surprised at how well that premise actually worked.
Me as well. I didn't want to read it for the longest time, in my mind I was always 'Another vampire book? No thanks...', but I have a friend who loved it and thought why not. Smith's ability to weave fact and fiction together is wonderful. I think he truly is a good, competent writer.

Have you given Pride and Prejudice and Zombies a go?

GasBandit

Staff member
Just started Wise Man's Fear, part two of the Kingkiller Chronicle. Too early to give a real impression of it yet, but part one was a good read, and this one picks up RIGHT where that one left off, so the start isn't as slow I'm used to.
I finished that a few weeks ago. It's just as good as the first one. Damn I want the third one out NAOW.

Me as well. I didn't want to read it for the longest time, in my mind I was always 'Another vampire book? No thanks...', but I have a friend who loved it and thought why not. Smith's ability to weave fact and fiction together is wonderful. I think he truly is a good, competent writer.

Have you given Pride and Prejudice and Zombies a go?
Having read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies was the only reason I gave Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter a chance. I agree with your assessment, I think Seth Grahame-Smith's actually a very good writer, and if he wants to just play around with these sorts of novelties for now, I'm happy with that.

Having read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies was the only reason I gave Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter a chance. I agree with your assessment, I think Seth Grahame-Smith's actually a very good writer, and if he wants to just play around with these sorts of novelties for now, I'm happy with that.
Ooh, I'm glad it's good! I'll have to read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies next. I'm curious to see what else he comes up with. (I even have high hopes for the Abe movie...)

They're even better in their original versions. The Grimm Brothers toned them down quite a bit.

The Silmarillion.

I think these may be their original versions. Snow White (or Snowdrop) being Seven when she married the prince blew my frikken mind.

I think these may be their original versions. Snow White (or Snowdrop) being Seven when she married the prince blew my frikken mind.
The Grimms did tone them down though, but I'm pretty sure their Snow White is cobbled from a couple older stories, so you won't exactly find an older version of it.

"Ashputtle" is the earlier name, I think.

For a nifty take on all things Grimm, see if you can find Red as Blood, by Tanith Lee. It's a good one.

Finished: Slaughterhouse Five - Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.
(Re)started: Mindkiller - Spider Robinson

--Patrick

Something from the Nightside by Simon R. Green

I couldn't not put this down. It was disturbing in some places with intense imagery but, over all, it was an excellent book.

I picked this one up by chance. I was going to start reading the Dresden Files but they didn't have the first book in stock. The guy suggested this one...and I am THANKFUL.

More than halfway through A Wise Man's Fear now, and loving it. I really liked The Name of the Wind, but part two, so far, is incredible.

Ooh, I'm glad it's good! I'll have to read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies next. I'm curious to see what else he comes up with. (I even have high hopes for the Abe movie...)
I've never read the original Jane Austen work, so I may not be the best judge. I do have one friend who has read Pride and Prejudice before and when she tried to read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies she hated it. But for my part, I honestly can't fathom how that story can work without the zombies.

I've never read the original Jane Austen work, so I may not be the best judge. I do have one friend who has read Pride and Prejudice before and when she tried to read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies she hated it. But for my part, I honestly can't fathom how that story can work without the zombies.
I think a lot of...people (Okay I'll just say it...women) have nostalgia goggles on when they read that book. Maybe they're offended at the story being changed from the beloved romance to something else. I started the original, but never finished. So either way, it sounds awesome to me! I'm kosher with change.

That's hilarious. I'm sure you could read a dissection of it online, about what was changed. I read one a couple years ago that makes you really appreciate the genius behind the changes.

Plowing through the Dresden Files... Calleja has created a monster by informing me about the series and pimping it so much: I got the complete set on the 5th, and I'm on book 8 now.

BRB, reading more.

I'm back to scholarly reading. I'm currently reading a book on influence and persuasion to get ideas for my research project.

I'm considering going to the author's house and holding a machete to his throat until he finishes book 3.
I'll be finished by the end of the week. I did feel like
His time with Felurian
was given a little too much focus, and compared to the rest of the book so far, it dragged a bit. But even still, this book is awesome. I've been trying to turn more people onto this series. I suspect that might be easier when the third book is finished, since all my fantasy-reading friends are already hooked on aSoIaF and seem hesitant to start another unfinished series.

Next on my list, I'm getting out of the fantasy genre for a bit and reading Searching for Bobby Orr, and then probably Gretzky's Tears.

ElJuski

Staff member
ugh. Curriculum building, which means I'm going to be balls deep in these chintzy Canadian urban youth books for a little bit. That, and I'm probably going to force House on Mango Street on the little knuckleheads. But mostly because I already have a unit based on that. BOOSH