"What are you reading?" thread.

GasBandit

Staff member
Don't you think you're being a little impatient? The second book just came out 10 months ago.
After 4 years. When he's already got all three books "written pretty much," he's just massaging and rewriting at this point. Meanwhile I look over at my huge shelf full of Raymond Feist's Midkemia novels, 20-someodd and counting, with a new one coming out every year. Though, in theory, that all stops in 2013...

After 4 years. When he's already got all three books "written pretty much," he's just massaging and rewriting at this point. Meanwhile I look over at my huge shelf full of Raymond Feist's Midkemia novels, 20-someodd and counting, with a new one coming out every year. Though, in theory, that all stops in 2013...
It takes longer to write a good book. Those revisions are probably for the best. And you probably already know that.

GasBandit

Staff member
It takes longer to write a good book. Those revisions are probably for the best. And you probably already know that.
There's a balancing act though. I can pretty much tell you I've lost interest in ASOIAF because of the time between books, and how it makes me forget who is who and why they're doing what they're doing. The same thing happened with Wheel of Time, even after it started getting good again. I really hope that doesn't happen with the Kingkiller chronicle, and I take some solace in the fact that each book seems to have a semi-episodic beginning, middle, and end - which I think will help reduce the jarring quality of a 4 year pause. This is why I usually wait until a series is finished before I start reading them.

There's a balancing act though. I can pretty much tell you I've lost interest in ASOIAF because of the time between books, and how it makes me forget who is who and why they're doing what they're doing. The same thing happened with Wheel of Time, even after it started getting good again. I really hope that doesn't happen with the Kingkiller chronicle, and I take some solace in the fact that each book seems to have a semi-episodic beginning, middle, and end - which I think will help reduce the jarring quality of a 4 year pause. This is why I usually wait until a series is finished before I start reading them.
Sounds like a good policy. I meant to do that with ASOIAF, but my wife started watching Game of Thrones with her friend and I'm the opposite of Jay; I want to read the book first before I see shows/movies.

I don't think the Kingkiller author is being egregious considering, again, it's only been 10 months since book 2. Even if he'd finished it and handed it in, odds are that the publisher would hold-out on book 3's release for at least a year after book 2. I guess to build suspense? I don't know. Still, this is no George R 5-year-gap R Martin type of situation where he's struggling to write two in-between novels that were never supposed to exist.

GasBandit

Staff member
Sounds like a good policy. I meant to do that with ASOIAF, but my wife started watching Game of Thrones with her friend and I'm the opposite of Jay; I want to read the book first before I see shows/movies.

I don't think the Kingkiller author is being egregious considering, again, it's only been 10 months since book 2. Even if he'd finished it and handed it in, odds are that the publisher would hold-out on book 3's release for at least a year after book 2. I guess to build suspense? I don't know. Still, this is no George R 5-year-gap R Martin type of situation where he's struggling to write two in-between novels that were never supposed to exist.
It's close though. Wise Man was supposed to come out "next year" for the last 3 years. I hope the last one isn't as delayed.

Probably two years minimum, since a year after would see the paperback release.

I'm a big fan of the series, and I also read the author's blog -- and he has barely mentioned ANYTHING about book 3, which doesn't make me optimistic that it will be coming out anytime soon. He also has admitted that "already written" means that a patchwork, crappy, first-draft version of the series existed, and book 2 had to go through SERIOUS revisions to get to where was at publication.

Sooo... don't hold your respective breaths. I'd be happy if we got the book sometime in 2014.

I've been reading a lot of YA books...should I feel guilty?

Perhaps I should read something more mature for my next one.
In these days of sex and violence, YA books have gotten pretty hardcore. It seems the distinction between YA and adult novels now is the age of the main character, unless the prose is of the dense lit class variety.

The 5th book of Game of Thrones, Dance of Dragons is it?

I'm 250 pages in, reading a chapter a day.

What a great series.

In these days of sex and violence, YA books have gotten pretty hardcore. It seems the distinction between YA and adult novels now is the age of the main character, unless the prose is of the dense lit class variety.
I have to admit. A lot of YA books are getting darker and darker in tone. My husband gave me Catch-22 for Christmas but I'm not sure I`m ready to tackle that one yet.

I have hundred of books. I can't decide what to read! Maybe the Hunger Games? Red Mars?

I have to admit. A lot of YA books are getting darker and darker in tone. My husband gave me Catch-22 for Christmas but I'm not sure I`m ready to tackle that one yet.

I have hundred of books. I can't decide what to read! Maybe the Hunger Games? Red Mars?
When I get some money, I plan to get and read The Hunger Games. Everyone's raving about it.

Watch the D&D movie sometime. Eragon looks much better by comparison.

--Patrick
But with D&D I expected crap, it's such a varied source that it could have gone literally thousands of ways, and of course they went the worst one possible for general consumption. Eragon, has a good single source and they managed to make a movie about something else entirely, just using some names and a few scenes from the book.

I've finally started on my New Year's resolution to read at least 10 classics throughout the year. Starting off with Treasure Island! Yeah!!

You guys should help me come up with my list, I'm having a hard time deciding. :)

Finished Wise Man's Fear on Thursday and started Searching for Bobby Orr yesterday. I'm only two chapters in, but its pretty good so far. Stephen Brunt does a really good job of explaining the the romanticism of hockey in Canada.
Added at: 18:05
I've finally started on my New Year's resolution to read at least 10 classics throughout the year. Starting off with Treasure Island! Yeah!!

You guys should help me come up with my list, I'm having a hard time deciding. :)
I tried to read Treasure Island in grade 5 for a unit on explorers, and found it incredibly dull. I wound up reading Robinson Crusoe instead. I'd like to take another crack at Treasure Island though. I should add that to my list. Any way, I would definitely recommend Robinson Crusoe.

Finished Wise Man's Fear on Thursday and started Searching for Bobby Orr yesterday. I'm only two chapters in, but its pretty good so far. Stephen Brunt does a really good job of explaining the the romanticism of hockey in Canada.
Added at: 18:05

I tried to read Treasure Island in grade 5 for a unit on explorers, and found it incredibly dull. I wound up reading Robinson Crusoe instead. I'd like to take another crack at Treasure Island though. I should add that to my list. Any way, I would definitely recommend Robinson Crusoe.
I have to wonder if your memory is painting nice over Robinson Crusoe. I had to read that in my sophomore Lit class in college and found it a real drag.

I have to wonder if your memory is painting nice over Robinson Crusoe. I had to read that in my sophomore Lit class in college and found it a real drag.
I don't know, I liked it a lot. I remember my teacher fought to keep me from switching books because it was so close to the end of the unit she was sure I wouldn't be able to finish it in time, but I devoured it. I suppose its possible that there is a different version published for children, though. I suddenly find myself doubting myself as you're talking about reading a book in college that I'm positive I read when I was 9 or 10 years old.

Well I recommend Dostoevsky to everyone, especially The Brothers Karamazov.

And as I've been thinking about it lately for some reason, I recommend Moby Dick. It has been far too long since I've read that, I think I'll re-read it this summer. When I was younger, I loved 20 000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne, and I'm hoping to re-read that as well when I'm in Hawaii over reading week. I must also bring up A Tale of Two Cities, which is one of my all-time favourite novels.

I read a lot of classics, so I'll stop now :D

Oh, I really enjoyed Tale of Two Cities as well. I second that one. Had to read it in grade 9, and I think I was the only person in my class who enjoyed it at all (To be fair, there were probably only 3-4 of us who actually read it).

I'll definately add a Tale of Two Cities and Moby Dick to my list, thanks guys!

The name Dostoevsky sounds familiar, but I not as prominent as some others - I'll give it a try. :)

So far:
Treasure Island
Moby Dick
Tale of Two Cities
The Brothers Karamazov
Robinson Crusoe

What does everyone think of these?:
Catcher in the Rye
Don Quixote
The Great Gatsby
Count of Monte Cristo (unabridged)
The Three Musketeers
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
The Picture of Dorian Gray
Frankenstein
Anna Karenina

I feel so uncultured....:(

I don't know, I liked it a lot. I remember my teacher fought to keep me from switching books because it was so close to the end of the unit she was sure I wouldn't be able to finish it in time, but I devoured it. I suppose its possible that there is a different version published for children, though. I suddenly find myself doubting myself as you're talking about reading a book in college that I'm positive I read when I was 9 or 10 years old.
There actually is a series of classics rewritten for kids to digest. I read that version of War of the Worlds when I was 9 and loved it. Then I tried reading the actual book two years later and couldn't stand it. There were versions of Little Women, Robinson Crusoe, The Time Machine, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Edgar Allen Poe stories, and many more.
Added at: 14:18

The name Dostoevsky sounds familiar, but I not as prominent as some others - I'll give it a try. :)

So far:
Treasure Island
Moby Dick
Tale of Two Cities
The Brothers Karamazov
Robinson Crusoe
Brothers Karamazov is incredible. I hope A Tale of Two Cities works out for you; I know Dickens can be rough for some (like me).

Catcher in the Rye
Don Quixote
The Great Gatsby
The Three Musketeers
Frankenstein
Anna Karenina
Fixed.

That's probably what I read then. Now I gotta give the actual one a shot.
Added at: 19:21

So far:
Treasure Island
Moby Dick
Tale of Two Cities
The Brothers Karamazov
Robinson Crusoe

Catcher in the Rye
Don Quixote
The Great Gatsby
The Three Musketeers
Frankenstein
Anna Karenina

I feel so uncultured....:(
I've read Catcher in the Rye for school and I really liked it, but that and Tale of Two Cities are the only books on your list I've read. My sister LOVES the Count of Monte Cristo though, so I assume its awesome.

There actually is a series of classics rewritten for kids to digest. I read that version of War of the Worlds when I was 9 and loved it. Then I tried reading the actual book two years later and couldn't stand it. There were versions of Little Women, Robinson Crusoe, The Time Machine, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Edgar Allen Poe stories, and many more.
Added at: 14:18

Brothers Karamazov is incredible. I hope A Tale of Two Cities works out for you; I know Dickens can be rough for some (like me).

Fixed.
That... fixing is perfect. And a Karamazov endorsement? You and me are gonna be friends.

Also I definitely endorse Monte Cristo and Dorian Gray. I'm writing a paper on Frankenstein this semester. It isn't as good as I remember when I read it the first time. It's worth noting that in the 1818 edition, Victor is much more sympathetic than the 1831 edition. So you might want to consider that if you look for it. The '31 edition is the more common one.

Guess my list is larger than 10. It'll be worth it, though, I'm sure. Thanks for all the suggestions and feedback. I'll be sure to update when I finish. :)

Are you referring to the Moby Books series? I had that whole series when I was younger and stupidly believed that I'd actually read all those classics until I was in my teens :p

Are you referring to the Moby Books series? I had that whole series when I was younger and stupidly believed that I'd actually read all those classics until I was in my teens :p
I don't know the name, but the book spines were red letters on a white background and I believe every other page was an illustration.