[Question] What is Rape Culture?

GasBandit

Staff member
YMMV. I have a very pretty aunt whose husbands first employment out of college was in Alaska, and they lived there for 5 years or so (now live in Colorado), and as far as I know nothing like that happened to her while living there - so it IS possible for a pretty 20-something woman with long blonde hair to step foot outside in Alaska and not be immediately penis'd. Or at least it was 25 or so years ago.

YMMV. I have a very pretty aunt whose husbands first employment out of college was in Alaska, and they lived there for 5 years or so (now live in Colorado), and as far as I know nothing like that happened to her while living there - so it IS possible for a pretty 20-something woman with long blonde hair to step foot outside in Alaska and not be immediately penis'd.
That's a relief.

Alaska was on the travel list.

Necronic

Staff member
My guess is that a lot of it may have to do with the isolation and gender imbalance in some areas. Stay in a bigger city and you should be fine.

My guess is that a lot of it may have to do with the isolation and gender imbalance in some areas. Stay in a bigger city and you should be fine.
I think you hit on a big point here. I think that insular communities are a big issue with how easy it is to get away with rape. Small communities have their own social structures that tend to lend themselves to cover ups and suppression of this sort of stuff. This may be one of the big reasons that there are such high rates of rape in Native American communities. They always have been extremely insular.

I'm just gonna keep tossing these kinds of stories in here, because I am an asshole.

http://www.freep.com/article/201403...ntence-for-raping-daughter-3-raises-questions

He "might not fare well in prison". Yeah, probably not. He was still convicted of 4th-degree rape.

O’Neill said he and his deputies have often argued that a defendant was too ill or frail for prison, but he has never seen a judge cite it as a “reason not to send someone to jail.”
Only one disease gets you out of prison like that. Affluenza.