What the Guild XP nerf means for Caerbannog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a few of you noticed last night and the night before, we were no longer hitting the XP cap like we did the first few days of the expansion.

Why is this happening? Blizzard has applied a hotfix that nerfed the amount of experience put towards guild experience. Before the ratio was that 100% of the experience you gain from a quest/kill was applied to your guild experience totals. That amount was cut down to a measly 25% during the hotfix, meaning we have to do four times the quests to get the same gain one quest was giving us before. This, added with the removal of achievements applying experience, had lowered our output that we can no longer reach the cap without extreme effort by everyone in the guild.

This, more then anything, is making me extremely pissed at Blizzard, which is rare for me. What this does is prevents us from moving at a similar leveling rate as guilds with dozens more members that are able to fill up to the cap. Why is this a bad thing? Well think of it this way. We wanted to raid someday, right? We don't have enough members to do that right now. At some point we are going to need to recruit, unless more people step in from the boards.

Now imagine this is what happens during recruiting.

"Knight of Caerbannog (level 6) looking for members!"

"Blood of Terror (level 12) looking for members!"

Who do you think people are going to gravitate towards? The perks are way to good for someone to "give up" and restart his 3000 WEEKLY CAPPED guild rep grind to come join us. Also, I realize this whole system is going to make creating new guilds a horrible experiance, because it takes a total of 130 days of non-stop reaching the cap to even reach level 25.

Damn it Blizzard, did you even think this change through?

Dave

Staff member
Yikes! I didn't even notice that, truthfully. I normally don't pay attention to rep advances unless I ding a rep level or I'm actively farming for that faction.

Kinda sucks.

Now for big guilds they end up wasting their daily output of XP because the cap is too low.

How will Blizz handle the guild XP when all the mains are 85 and not earning XP?

Now for big guilds they end up wasting their daily output of XP because the cap is too low.

How will Blizz handle the guild XP when all the mains are 85 and not earning XP?
There's still technically an XP share for the quest, even if you get it converted to gold. It's all quest XP that is involved in this, anyway.

Maybe Blizzard will up the guild XP from dungeons and raids, and this is just an effort to balance things slightly differently.

That won't matter, because in a big guild you don't even have to contribute as much to reach the cap and thus have a more relaxed experience. You will go on knowing you will hit the cap regardless and be at the highest output possible because you have so many people playing in general. For instance a person in a 25-man guild can take a day off and know his guild will still reach the cap, while someone in a 10-man may be screwing his guild over by not questing that day, lowering their chance to reach the cap.

My issue, and one I should have realized I would have when this system was being introduced, is that there is no reason to start new guilds or join small ones. If you are a newbie, you want to get into a big guild for the XP, rep, gold, durability, hearth, etc... perks. New guilds (or now small guilds) will not have those perks for a long time over the large ones, meaning people have to work harder just to compete/recruit/level.

People are lazy, and if they can join Terror of Blood and start out with a lower durability cost and faster leveling, they will 95% of the time, and the Guild Reputation makes it less likely they will leave later to join another upstart guild, since it will takes months to reach exalted with the Weekly cap.

Dave

Staff member
They should make it so that it's a sliding percentage. The more people you have the lesser amount goes to the Guild XP. But in that case smaller guilds might have an advantage. It's really a tough balancing act.

Are you guys going to go for the 50,000 critter kills?

What concerns me, is that many in my main's guild have finished most of the quests of the xpac. And since they hit the cap daily, there is a good chance that we will peak at lvl 5 or so.

My issue, and one I should have realized I would have when this system was being introduced, is that there is no reason to start new guilds or join small ones. If you are a newbie, you want to get into a big guild for the XP, rep, gold, durability, hearth, etc... perks. New guilds (or now small guilds) will not have those perks for a long time over the large ones, meaning people have to work harder just to compete/recruit/level.

People are lazy, and if they can join Terror of Blood and start out with a lower durability cost and faster leveling, they will 95% of the time, and the Guild Reputation makes it less likely they will leave later to join another upstart guild, since it will takes months to reach exalted with the Weekly cap.
Maybe I'm naive here, but I'm not really sure I'd want people in the guild that are only in it for the perks. The perks will come in time, just slower than expected initially.

---------- Post added at 02:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:26 PM ----------

What concerns me, is that many in my main's guild have finished most of the quests of the xpac. And since they hit the cap daily, there is a good chance that we will peak at lvl 5 or so.
Running dungeons, raids, and battlegrounds also count towards guild XP.

And heck yes I am killing critters like a fire mage possessed.

Maybe I'm naive here, but I'm not really sure I'd want people in the guild that are only in it for the perks. The perks will come in time, just slower than expected initially.

Not really naive, just unrealistic. There are two ways to get players.

Either you group with them, like them, and ask them. At this point you have to hope they are not in another guild, or at least willing to "start over" with your guild.

Or you advertise for other people, mostly guildless, to join you. Those people are often not going to know you by face value, so they will gravitate towards the guilds offering the higher perks. (Before this was higher raid experience, now it will be higher guild level)

While I would love to meet people the first way, in the world of post-dungeon finder, it's not as easy as it used to be to just group with people on the server, and those that do will probably already be invested in another guild. That leaves the vast majority coming from the second camp, the guildless people still leveling that will gravitate towards others.

Really, I would not be so worried if we got more people from the forums, but right now even with a few low levels working on getting to the end game, it mostly feels like we are empty a few slots. I just worry we will have a really hard time filling those slots down the line.

---------- Post added at 02:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:26 PM ----------

Running dungeons, raids, and battlegrounds also count towards guild XP.

And heck yes I am killing critters like a fire mage possessed.[/QUOTE]

*cough*Terrorweb Tunnel*cough*

D

Disconnected

i...have no comment. I have a love/hate relationship with guilds and therefore never investigated the point of guild 'rep'. I'm not a gang member I don't need street cred. Sorry to hear something is irking your experience, there's always gonna be something :)
or perhaps i do... It's all a mystery to me.
I am never top dps
I am never top heal
I am never top tank
but i get the fucking job done and I do it right. I'm not piggybacking my way through, set on follow and casting every other mob fight.
I think i need to move to the rant thread.

C

Chibibar

I don't think that is the issue Disconnected.

The problem is that getting more recruits outside of the Forum. The thing is that a lot of these perks are nice to have when you are casual.
Cash Flow - 5% of each earning go directly to the guild bank. That is nice to have.
rep gain per kill 10%
increase in honor
increase chance of trade skill (good for those last few points when you are working with greens)
bountiful bags and such (see the link)

These are some pretty nice perks for being a member of a guild. Now the higher level the guild, the better chance you can recruit "fresh" blood" A guild's level can be a tool for recruit. Of course it might be good, but then players might stick around long enough to get all the perks and max out before going to another guild (smaller one?)

A smaller guild will eventually reach 25 like everyone else so in 2-3 years from now, it won't make a difference, but right now, the large guild can hit the max sooner (earliest calculation was 4/21/2011 not sure if it is before or after the nerf) now that is for the guild hitting the max exp each day.

Now the nerf hits, the smaller guilds are at disadvantage since lesser members mean more work for those members to keep up with the larger guild which they can relax more.

As a hunter, I hate that I no longer have volley. Multi-shot is awesome, but it is a beast to target and fire on critters. Especially the swarm you have to fight in ICC, I end up sitting that fight out.

I know it is 6 months away, but when I get back I will be in a better time zone, and have more availability to play. Then I will be known as Docseverin savior of the KOC

Status
Not open for further replies.