Whats for Dinner?

Not calling you out, was for the benefit of readers who didn't know. :)

I mainly know because a college girlfriend (who was taking French) delighted in insulting people by calling them, "un espèce d'aubergine."

--Patrick

Don't worry, to be honest I just typed the word without thinking about it. Had to check myself if aubergine is a known word in english.

I threw my old peppers mushroom and potatoes into a big pan, threw some cheap legbacks on top, drenched it in olive oil, salt, pepper and herbs de provence and baked for an hour. Easiest thing in the world to make and tastes better than nearly anything else for the amount of effort required.

I probably should add a picture.

Attachments

Made a lazy spaghetti dinner in the rice cooker. Boiled some veggie noodles then added some parmesan tomato sauce from a jar, with some diced tomatoes from a can, some fresh mushrooms I chopped up, and some cut up store brand block mozzarella. Let it warm for like two or three hours, stirring occasionally, and it was a treat when that cheese melted and mixed with everything

I have a hard time cooking big fancy meals when it's just me here. So:
Brown 1lb ground beef seasoned with salt, pepper, and Penzey's "Old World" spice blend (paprika, salt, sugar, celery, garlic, onion, black pepper, parsley, dill seed, caraway, turmeric, dill weed, bay leaf, marjoram, thyme, savory, basil and rosemary). They say 1-2 tsp per lb. I put about 2tbs. Let cool.
Prepare 1 box of scalloped potatoes as per the instructions. Mix in ground beef before putting in oven. Cook as per the box.
Put a couple cups of mozzarella cheese on top, and brown under broiler.

1640113969937.png

Tadaa! It's pretty tasty, actually. But could use a couple dabs of Frank's Red Hot.

Last edited:
Finally had some time with the family out of the house so I could cook up the lutefisk.

47264C96-BB08-465C-9F31-1F43AD8E982E.jpeg

Cooked it a couple ways. One the more traditional, boiled and then covered in butter sauce with bacon.
The other more American, deep fried.

Fried is definitely the more edible way. It almost tastes like regular fish.:p

I have a hard time cooking big fancy meals when it's just me here. So:
Brown 1lb ground beef seasoned with salt, pepper, and Penzey's "Old World" spice blend (paprika, salt, sugar, celery, garlic, onion, black pepper, parsley, dill seed, caraway, turmeric, dill weed, bay leaf, marjoram, thyme, savory, basil and rosemary). They say 1-2 tsp per lb. I put about 2tbs. Let cool.
Prepare 1 box of scalloped potatoes as per the instructions. Mix in ground beef before putting in oven. Cook as per the box.
Put a couple cups of mozzarella cheese on top, and brown under broiler.

View attachment 39864

Tadaa! It's pretty tasty, actually. But could use a couple dabs of Frank's Red Hot.
I'm failling to see a big difference with regular Hachis Parmentier, though I don't know what scalloped potatoes are.

Still yummy, obviously.

I'm failling to see a big difference with regular Hachis Parmentier, though I don't know what scalloped potatoes are.

Still yummy, obviously.
Scalloped potatoes are basically au grautin potatoes with a thicker sliced potato and no cheese. Basically a creamy baked potato dish.

edit: more than you wanted to know about both dishes lol https://www.masterclass.com/articles/au-gratin-vs-scalloped-potatoes

I'm famliar with Hachis Parmentier, but around these parts we called it "cowboy casserole". The thing I cobbled together isn't layered, but rather a jumble of the potatoes and beef with addition of cheese at the end. But yeah, the content and flavor profile is gonna be pretty similar.

1640199523974.png

Last edited:
Scalloped potatoes are basically au grautin potatoes with a thicker sliced potato and no cheese. Basically a creamy baked potato dish.

edit: more than you wanted to know about both dishes lol https://www.masterclass.com/articles/au-gratin-vs-scalloped-potatoes

I'm famliar with Hachis Parmentier, but around these parts we called it "cowboy casserole". The thing I cobbled together isn't layered, but rather a jumble of the potatoes and beef with addition of cheese at the end. But yeah, the content and flavor profile is gonna be pretty similar.

View attachment 39870
Try this recipe and let me know what you think.

20211223_201042.jpg

Not sure what to call it but its built top down like this:

Mushroom gravy
Bread
Sauteed onions
Mozzarella cheese
Veggie burger
Bread

Plus sides

Bread
Not sure what to call it but its built top down like this:

Mushroom gravy
Bread
Sauteed onions
Mozzarella cheese
Veggie burger
Bread

Plus sides
Breaded Vegetarian Salisbury Steak with Cheese.

It's got all the right ingredients:

- Hamburger patty (veggie this time)
- Mushroom Gravy (usually found in Salisbury)
- Onions (not uncommon in Salisbury steak recipes)

The only odd bits are the cheese and bread. If it had been one piece of bread, I'd have called it an Open Faced veggie Salisbury Steak.

Nobody to cook for here but me...so I present:
Frozen quarter pound burger patty from Sam's Club, on King's Hawaiian bun with lettuce, tomato and cheese.

20211225_191914.jpg

Realized I didn't have any hamburger dills in the fridge, but I did have whole pickles. After slicing those, they're so much better than the pre-sliced ones...crisper and a bit more flavor. I may never buy pre-sliced hamburger dills again.