Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

Life just gave me the same early Christmas present it's given for the last 6 years or so: a cold. :(
I used to get head colds every Christmas when I was a kid. It was like clockwork. I would start to feel sick one to three days after Christmas break began, then I'd have a monstrous cold that wouldn't even start to improve until Christmas Eve. I'd recover just in time for school to start again.

That's one of the reasons why Christmas isn't my favorite holiday. Even though I hardly get sick anymore, I associate the holiday season with a stuffy nose and milky green discharges.

My wife used to get sick every Christmas. We finally figured out it was something to do with the added scent that is applied to fresh Christmas trees that you would get. Learned about the scent spray after helping at a commercial tree farm for a couple of weeks.

I may be firing another guy soon.
The odds of me having to fire another guy soon just went up.

Specifically, a chronically late guy. Ordinarily this would probably be an acceptable reason to fire someone, but the company's been willing to put up with him being late because he still got his work done. Except today he was late again and thus didn't meet a deadline for a case that was supposed to be finished in the morning. Now that the company is probably not going to be okay with.

*Sigh* It's looking increasingly (currently at around 98%) likely that this New Year's gonna be virtual again. Even if we can actually get together, I'm not sure I'd want to. Too many vulnerable people and risk vectors to be comfortable.
Update to this:

Because apparently miracles can happen, I’m currently sitting on a train to Quebec City to see my family for New Year’s. My wife will join us on the 30th.

And I might be crying a bit. :D

Spider-Man is in theaters and I can't watch it until next month. The fiancee wants to see it with me. She doesn't care for the MCU at all except for Spider-Man. She LOVES Spidey. She's still recovering from brain surgery so that means her immune system is compromised. She wants to stay out of movie theaters until she gets better. We'll go to some place like Star Cinema or Studio Movie Grill to celebrate her recovery, complete with dinner and drinks. It'll mean a lot to her if we experience the movie at the same time.

But I wanna watch it NOW!

Well, if it was just "she's studying" or "she's overloaded with work" why she won't get to see it until a month from now, my suggestion might've been "sneak a view, and rewatch it with her, apparently itr's a good enough movie to watch twice", but...Myeah, given the reasons, maybe just watch it with her and watch Erternals or something in the mean time :-P

Good to hear she's recovering though :)

Spider-Man is in theaters and I can't watch it until next month. The fiancee wants to see it with me. She doesn't care for the MCU at all except for Spider-Man. She LOVES Spidey. She's still recovering from brain surgery so that means her immune system is compromised. She wants to stay out of movie theaters until she gets better. We'll go to some place like Star Cinema or Studio Movie Grill to celebrate her recovery, complete with dinner and drinks. It'll mean a lot to her if we experience the movie at the same time.

But I wanna watch it NOW!
Can you rent an entire theater for a showing?

Well, if it was just "she's studying" or "she's overloaded with work" why she won't get to see it until a month from now, my suggestion might've been "sneak a view, and rewatch it with her, apparently itr's a good enough movie to watch twice", but...Myeah, given the reasons, maybe just watch it with her and watch Erternals or something in the mean time :-P
I already saw Eternals. She didn't care about that one. I'll wait patiently and try to avoid the spoilers on my Facebook feed. I had thought about watching it anyways but one thing I've learned is girls ALWAYS know when I commit movie adultery.

@evilmike You can rent a screen, but it costs $150 for the newer movies. That price is just a bit steep right now considering we have a wedding coming up, but it's perfectly reasonable if you see it with a group. I'll ask some of her friends and family if they want to join in.

I hate New Year's eve. Also 4th of July and any other holiday where fireworks are set off. My neighborhood is a starter home area. We've not got enough money to move out and so we are stuck with a bunch of people that fire off large fireworks from the street right in front of our house. It is perfectly legal in SC to do this.

The problem comes from my two bunnies who are absolutely scared out of their minds by all of this and a spouse with PTSD. My bunnies are still skitish today. Still running away and hiding from even the gentlest of approaches. Just getting up off the couch to go get a drink causes them to flee immediately. My Spouse is still in bed with what can really only be described as a stress hangover.

It sucks and I want to move us away, but it doesn't look like we will be able to afford it anytime soon.

Usually people set off reasonable fireworks near us. I’m not a fan, but they’re never out of control.

Last night? Omg, buddy started at 7:30 and he must have been launching rockets. They were loud and went on for hours. Our cats were cowering and/or growling on me while I was too nauseous to move.

My grandmother died, which I knew was coming so am not as upset about it as I could be.

I am upset though because my parents guilted me into flying back home for the funeral while all this COVID shit is spiking again. I do have a booster and the rest of my family is staying home, so at least there is that, but uggggh my extended family is all Trumpers. :cry:

My grandmother died, which I knew was coming so am not as upset about it as I could be.

I am upset though because my parents guilted me into flying back home for the funeral while all this COVID shit is spiking again. I do have a booster and the rest of my family is staying home, so at least there is that, but uggggh my extended family is all Trumpers. :cry:
Everything about this sucks. I hope you have some earbuds and a lot of podcasts/music to drown out your family members.

The only way to make the first day of work after the holidays brainfog worse is to be working remotely for it. I'm not even 100% sure I actually have a job.

GasBandit

Staff member
I have one, but I finished the task I'm scheduled to be doing today, last thursday. So do I ask for something more, or pretend to continue working on the completed task?

I have one, but I finished the task I'm scheduled to be doing today, last thursday. So do I ask for something more, or pretend to continue working on the completed task?
For me, that question is easily answered by how the company behaves when I do a phenomenal job. Most times, in my past, the company would continue to put more and more work on me, while giving me COLA (or less raises) every year--basically paying me the same as my peers who did half the work. In those cases, the answer was "If they're not gonna reward me for good work, then fuck around time is my reward." In rare cases, the company would give big bonuses, extra vacation, big year-end raises or other methods of compensation to reward my output. I didn't mind going the extra mile for those guys.

For me, that question is easily answered by how the company behaves when I do a phenomenal job. Most times, in my past, the company would continue to put more and more work on me, while giving me COLA (or less raises) every year--basically paying me the same as my peers who did half the work. In those cases, the answer was "If they're not gonna reward me for good work, then fuck around time is my reward." In rare cases, the company would give big bonuses, extra vacation, big year-end raises or other methods of compensation to reward my output. I didn't mind going the extra mile for those guys.
I just pulled the 2021 numbers, and I did about 27% of the work in our team of 6 (so average is 17%). There's one colleague who gets to 25% - he's the senior, and paid 3 pay grades above me.. Nobody else breaks 15%. Two of those other 4 are also seniors being paid in the higher pay grade, and one other is a middle-level who is only 2 paygrades above me. Yes, we have 3 seniors, one in the middle, and two at the bottom, it's not the most logical pyramid but anyway.
This is the third year in a row that I easily outperform everybody else (numbers-wise) and I have yet to see any big impact on my paycheck. My manager's been asking why I've seemed unmotivated lately, but when I point to this, the answer is I shouldn't be comparing myself with my colleagues. Which is absolute bullshit, because with who else?
So, yeah, I'm now in the "too lazy and unmotivated to find new work but sick of management BS" slump. Not doing much, and daring them all to say something. I can literally do 1/3 of what I've been doing, and STILL be in the middle of the pack. And...I'm already spendign half my work time on here. I really, really wonder what some of my colleagues do all day.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm splitting the difference. I get 40 hours a quarter in "training time" that I can use for things like watching C# videos. So this morning I am enriching my programming ability on the company's dime (because it will benefit them, after all), and I'm going to clock out and take the afternoon off.

This company has been pretty good to me about recognizing my efforts and results, and they've come through with the raises thus far. They have their issues, but I don't feel the need to COMPLETELY sandbag them.

I'm looking for jobs - outside of the industry I have been working in for the last 5+ years! It sucks!
Like, I know that I can do the work described, I know that I have the appropriate (if slightly rusty) training, and I know that I'm better at *ALL* the soft skills too, but will they talk to me? Noooooo.

I'm looking for jobs - outside of the industry I have been working in for the last 5+ years! It sucks!
Like, I know that I can do the work described, I know that I have the appropriate (if slightly rusty) training, and I know that I'm better at *ALL* the soft skills too, but will they talk to me? Noooooo.
What country/ies are you willing/looking to move to?

What country/ies are you willing/looking to move to?
If I could move out of the city I'm currently in, I would still be looking in my current field. There are some good positions, but they're not in this province. ... So... not so much with the moving at the moment.

I had an anxiety or depression breakdown earlier (over the stupidest thing with the worst timing). Called my EAP, who was so unhelpful, I hung up on them. They called the cops for a wellness check. I admitted having suicidal thoughts and a rough plan. So I'm now being taken to the hospital
Home now. They didn't put me in the mental health ward, both because they didn't think I was a danger for harming myself and because putting me with a lot of other people who are perhaps more stressed than I am wouldn't be healthy for me. I have an appointment with an urgent care counsellor in a few weeks.

Home now. They didn't put me in the mental health ward, both because they didn't think I was a danger for harming myself and because putting me with a lot of other people who are perhaps more stressed than I am wouldn't be healthy for me. I have an appointment with an urgent care counsellor in a few weeks.
I've been thinking about you, Nick. I hope things go well with the counselor.

In-law family Christmas/New Year party last Sunday. Everybody did a covid test beforehand, we all stayed outside, we sort-of-kinda kept our distance from family to family, what have you.

Now, what people forgot to mention, apparently, is that while everybody tested negative for covid, both my father-in-law and one of my brothers-in-law were in the midle of a bloody bronchitis.

Guess who's now coughing and wheezing and has a lung ache?

yeah, guys, I know we wanted to meet up, but if you're sick,, it really is OK not to come or to reschedule. Really.

GasBandit

Staff member
Doncha just love it when a client schedules an appointment weeks in advance and then takes the day off so you waste a morning driving out to meet someone who isn't there?

GasBandit

Staff member
Can you still bill the hours? If so, hey, roadtrip paid by some schmuck.
I get PAID for the hours, yeah, but it was a warranty call, so we won't be "billing" them.

At least we can say "hey you made this appointment, you can't get mad at us for your breaking it, we showed up, you didn't. Next availability is in 6 weeks if you'd like to reschedule."

Doncha just love it when a client schedules an appointment weeks in advance and then takes the day off so you waste a morning driving out to meet someone who isn't there?
I had something similar happen once. A customer that bought a system that worked with a laser and then didn't maintain it while waiting for the facility to be built to house the system. Argon lasers need to be powered up fairly often to maintain the proper gas balance. With out a proper gas balance, the laser becomes an inefficient and expensive florescent tube. It wasn't something that could be replaced off the shelf, so all I could do was give a brief introduction and describe how the system would have operated if it had a laser beam to work with. It was quite wasted road trip -- to Taipei and back. I did get a couple of free days to sightsee at least. (This predates the forum or I would have tried to bother @bhamv3 .)

LOL, my car is on it's last legs and.....
This is part of the reason I bought a car last year when I did (even though it strained our finances at the time). The USA has been importing used cars from Canada because we've been out of used cars down here since COVID. The used-car lots around here all have two things: Big empty swaths in the parking lots and "Help Wanted" signs in the windows.

--Patrick