Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

Ooo, Snuffle heaven!
He’s being kind and only showing a few :)

And not me under the pile of them. I have seriously rough isolation hair. Our new boss’ boss wants a video chat next week. I’m going to look scary with my hair and eyebrows wild.

He thinks the bears are judging him. Maybe they are....maybe they are...

I had to remind my mother that we absolutely would NOT be attending her family reunion around the 4th of July. Not only because, hey, there's still a pandemic and a number of attending people would be flying in from CA and FL, but given the currently national climate, there is a not a group of people I'd want to be with less right now. Certain people are "white-privileged ignorant" at best, and straight-up bigots at worst, and I am exhausted of trying to talk any sense into them. No amount of swimming and games could make me put up with 5 minutes of that at this point. So that was a fun conversation.

Oh, and today we had to bite the bullet and cancel Li'l Z's summer camps (the ones that weren't already cancelled by the state). I hate doing it, which is why we put it off until the last possible day, but people around here are playing hit-and-miss with masks and social distancing, and we really weren't comfortable sending him. It breaks my heart because he just wants to play with other kids, and the other day he was in tears because he felt like the Covid restrictions were a punishment and he didn't do anything wrong. So I feel like a shit parent. No sleep for me tonight.

I had to remind my mother that we absolutely would NOT be attending her family reunion around the 4th of July. Not only because, hey, there's still a pandemic and a number of attending people would be flying in from CA and FL, but given the currently national climate, there is a not a group of people I'd want to be with less right now. Certain people are "white-privileged ignorant" at best, and straight-up bigots at worst, and I am exhausted of trying to talk any sense into them. No amount of swimming and games could make me put up with 5 minutes of that at this point. So that was a fun conversation.

Oh, and today we had to bite the bullet and cancel Li'l Z's summer camps (the ones that weren't already cancelled by the state). I hate doing it, which is why we put it off until the last possible day, but people around here are playing hit-and-miss with masks and social distancing, and we really weren't comfortable sending him. It breaks my heart because he just wants to play with other kids, and the other day he was in tears because he felt like the Covid restrictions were a punishment and he didn't do anything wrong. So I feel like a shit parent. No sleep for me tonight.
I am glad I have teenagers, one who has autism and doesn't really leave the house unless I make him anyways, and one who is in the full bloom of her teenage emo phase and doesn't really want to leave the house either. She is on Discord with her friends every night and they play Roblox and stuff, so that's good enough for her. One of my friends with a 5 year old daughter started a Minecraft Bedrock server for her to play with other kids on the Switch, but I don't know how viable online playtime is for your kid.

I am glad I have teenagers, one who has autism and doesn't really leave the house unless I make him anyways, and one who is in the full bloom of her teenage emo phase and doesn't really want to leave the house either. She is on Discord with her friends every night and they play Roblox and stuff, so that's good enough for her. One of my friends with a 5 year old daughter started a Minecraft Bedrock server for her to play with other kids on the Switch, but I don't know how viable online playtime is for your kid.
We have a PS4 and a Switch, but he hasn't had anyone to play with except me. However, one of the families down the street that we are friends with is getting a (used) PS4 later this week, so once school is out we're setting up games they can play together. This will help, but he's also a really social kid who loves to run and do any kind of physical play/activity, so I know he really misses just being able to go to a playground.

We’re keeping the kids home too. School was cancelled for the rest of the year, but we would have kept them home either way. With my immune system, I can’t risk it. No way will all of those families be super strict with social distancing, masks and hand washing.

My sister on the other hand, is off on a mini vacation with her husband and left their kids with neighbours. During a pandemic. I shit you not.

Dave

Staff member
My university's next term starts 08/31/2020. They are all going to be in class. This is going to be fun.

I got my toenail smashed at work back on the 10th. Saw the workman's comp doc on Monday - it's not broken.

Saw my orthopedic doctor today. Toenail had to go.

I will be in immense pain in about 30 minutes.

Update: not too bad right now. But, I have not yet needed to change the bandage.

@Cheesy1 - if you hear a piercing scream coming for the east, you'll know it's me.

GasBandit

Staff member
Update: not too bad right now. But, I have not yet needed to change the bandage.

@Cheesy1 - if you hear a piercing scream coming for the east, you'll know it's me.
I had to have a toenail removed (my big toenail) about 10 or 11 years ago. They can give you a shot that makes your entire foot go numb as a block of wood (I forget what it was... cortisol or cortisone maybe), and then just rip the sucker out and you don't feel a thing.

However, make sure they prescribe something GOOD for the pain once that shot wears off. If not for hydrocodone I don't know how I would have made it through the following 36 hours.

I had to have a toenail removed (my big toenail) about 10 or 11 years ago. They can give you a shot that makes your entire foot go numb as a block of wood (I forget what it was... cortisol or cortisone maybe), and then just rip the sucker out and you don't feel a thing.

However, make sure they prescribe something GOOD for the pain once that shot wears off. If not for hydrocodone I don't know how I would have made it through the following 36 hours.
Also about ten years ago for me. Fun fact, some people have an extra nerve in their big toe that makes it difficult to numb. Guess who falls into that category?

I never took anything for the pain after though. Just a compression bandage and by the time it was time to change that it had stopped being so tender

When I was a runner, the entire toenail on one of my middle toes was black and dead after a 10 miler. and now it just consistently continues to die everytime it grows back in. Im removing a full toenail at least once every month or two. It just came off again 2 weeks ago. I am gross.

Work is driving me to drink which isn’t fair because I can’t. Omg.

So we had a forced install of an update today. It was fast and told me to reset. Sounds good, right? Wrong.

It’s an update of a key program in allowing us to log in to the network and all. The update barfed and I’m now in a loop of constantly updating/restarting. The awesome folks who designed this had it uninstall that key program I need to log in so I can’t. IT can’t help me and take over my workstation remotely unless I’m on the network. This botched update has made that impossible. It’s even hard to work offline because my screen fills with network failure messages.

I emailed them from my phone but they are painfully slow.

I really have a hard time understanding the concept of "self love". I'm too aware of my own flaws and toxicity, and wanting something for myself makes me think I'm being selfish. Which I'm told I'm already way too much of.

I really have a hard time understanding the concept of "self love". I'm too aware of my own flaws and toxicity, and wanting something for myself makes me think I'm being selfish. Which I'm told I'm already way too much of.
It took me about 33 years to figure it out... though I got some help in the form of medication towards the end of that run. I wish I could tell you there's a secret way to achieve it.

I wish I could tell you there's a secret way to achieve it.
It's not really a "secret," but neither is it easy, because it depends on you putting your wants/needs aside in favor of someone else's... sorta. It's been six years since I saw this post on reddit, and not a week goes by I don't think about how I still have room to improve.
Here are the most important parts of that post, just in case it ever gets removed.

u/RobbieGee said:
Research has recently shown that we consider our future self as an entity other than ourselves. I figured why not use this effect and reframe it in such a was as to benefit us to prevent procrastination and continuing bad habits. Usually "the now" counts so much more in our reptile brains so every trick we can use to suppress that is likely to benefit us in our modern society.

The trick would be to imagine your future self as someone you love, a dear friend you want everything good for, [a friend that] lives far away and you're going to see soon. Attempt to make a habit of considering all actions you perform and in which way they would affect this friend. [...] Try to imagine it strongly and attempt to do "the right thing" instead of leeching off your friend.
--Patrick

It's not really a "secret," but neither is it easy, because it depends on you putting your wants/needs aside in favor of someone else's... sorta. It's been six years since I saw this post on reddit, and not a week goes by I don't think about how I still have room to improve.
Here are the most important parts of that post, just in case it ever gets removed.

--Patrick
Nah, my future self is talking shit about me right now, fuck that guy.

The primary motivation of my boss seems to be to break/remove as many working systems as possible.

And then blame the staff for the problems.

And then insist on half-assed workarounds which don't do the job nearly as well as the systems he demanded be removed.

The primary motivation of my boss seems to be to break/remove as many working systems as possible.

And then blame the staff for the problems.

And then insist on half-assed workarounds which don't do the job nearly as well as the systems he demanded be removed.
Is he bucking for a cabinet position?

--Patrick

Thanks to Facebook Memories, I was reminded that 2 years ago today, I received my yoga teaching certificate. Since then, I not only haven't taught a single class, but I barely practice yoga on any kind of consistent basis. Just another notch on Nick's belt of failures, I guess.